Posted in music | pictures on October 19, 2012

photos by Fred Pessaro // BBG; words by Bill Pearis

New Order @ Roseland Ballroom, 10/19/2012
New Order

New Order played NYC for the first time in seven years last night at Roseland Ballroom. The group, now minus iconic bassist Peter Hook but with guitarist/keyboardist (and wife to drummer Stephen Morris) Gillian Gilbert back in the fold, the show opened with "Elegia," the towering instrumental from 1985's indespensible Low-Life, which led into "Crystal" from 2001's comeback album, Get Ready.

With Gilbert back in the band, the set leaned a little more keyboardy/dancey than when they played Hammerstein back in 2005, with "The Perfect Kiss" and Power, Corruption and Lies deep cut "5, 8, 6," though it seems a missed opportunity for them not to merge directly into "Blue Monday" as that song always seemed like a dry run for what is their most well-known song (and still record holder for biggest-selling 12" single of all time). A song from Technique might've been nice ("Dream Attack" maybe?) but nice set selection, though, all-around. Hook's replacement, Tom Chapman, aped his signature style just fine (and even wore a leather jacket)... but slung his bass about a foot and a half higher.

"Temptation" closed out the main set, and the band came back for an encore of Joy Division songs, "Atmosphere" and "Love Will Tear Us Apart." New Order will do it again tonight at Roseland which is sold out. Setlist from last night's show and more pictures are below.

DJs Justin Strauss and Billy Caldwell

The Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation

ENCORE:
Atmosphere
Love Will Tear Us Apart

and BV day party saturday?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:06 AM

who's the scab on bass?

Posted by barry | October 19, 2012 11:09 AM

anxiously awaiting word from the one and only....Rockin Daddy!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:10 AM

11:09: Your mom.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:12 AM

^smh @ buckeye shrimper

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:24 AM

Great show! Thanks to the 6'11" guy who unskrewed the light bulb that was blinding everyone near the back by the bar.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:24 AM

It was a great show...anyone who says otherwise didnt go or is a fool

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:24 AM

Kathy Griffin is looking rather bloated these days

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:27 AM

11:24 said it right, it was a fucking phenomenal show.. Peter Hook'less or not.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:30 AM

WIN WIN Was the one of the worst bands i've ever had to see. Fucking worst opener ever.
New Order kicked ass though, especially 5 8 6

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:38 AM

"It was a great show...anyone who says otherwise didnt go or is a fool"

Oh shut the fuck up you piece of shit moron. Have heard from plenty of people who went last night and on twitter as well that it was ok. Nothing special and Peter Hook not being there was very missed. Also as you can tell from Bill's review it was just an ok show. When he loves something he lets you know.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:42 AM

Hope they play Regret tonight!

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:46 AM

^smh @ buckeye shrimper

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:49 AM

these pictures could have been taken in any club in any city in any country. CONTEXT, PLEASE!

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:53 AM

11:42 - well if you heard it on the twitter it must be true.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:54 AM

Enjoyed the show. "Temptation" sounded amazing! Missed hearing some tracks from their TECHNIQUE album and also the song "Regret" Hate to say I also missed Hooky's bass! Still, good show. No band comes close to New Order's sound...

Wish the band hadn't gotten stuck in by Obama's motorcade... at their TX show my friend said they did four Joy Division songs as the encore- adding "Transmission" and "Shadowplay" to the two they did last night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 11:56 AM

I love New Order and have seen them a few times. I have stopped trying to convince myself that they are a good live band.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:07 PM

how many images does one need to see of the same lame shot?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:16 PM

Seeing them tonight! Can't wait. I also hope they play Regret and maybe even Digital.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:18 PM

New Order >>>>>> CMJ

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:19 PM

Hey, look! Dude from New Order is wearing a New Order shirt.

Posted by Venkman | October 19, 2012 12:20 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

- the collective sound of scarves everywhere

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:22 PM

where is rockin daddy?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:26 PM

PIctures of Ian Curtis in the Atmosphere video during Atmosphere. Very tacky.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:53 PM

Ian Curtis always sounded like a special ed student on too many meds.

Some band >>>>>>> (no) Joy Division

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:57 PM

what time did they go on?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 12:59 PM

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:02 PM

So for those keeping score ...

Afghan Whigs > Morrissey > ATP > 5 feet of shit > T5 > drug resistant gonorrhea > New Order

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:05 PM

win win sounded like vampire weekend knocked up beach house and they aborted it in week 32.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:06 PM

Win Win still beats that Betty Page meets Karmin chick that warmed up Mozzers

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:09 PM

PIctures of Ian Curtis in the Atmosphere video during Atmosphere. Very fitting and tasteful tribute.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:13 PM

win win vs kristeen young would go 12 round but there would be no winner... cause everyone in the crowd would have killed themselves by round 3... including judges and coaches.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:29 PM

^ smh @ buckeye shrimper

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 1:35 PM

Anyone know the schedule?

Posted by curlycake | October 19, 2012 2:16 PM

12:57 1:02 1:05 who's the bigger idiot? hard to choose!

Posted by ME | October 19, 2012 2:24 PM

anyone know what time they took the stage?

Posted by mb | October 19, 2012 2:51 PM

It started at 9:15. Delayed slightly due to the Obabma motorcade.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 2:57 PM

no, douche-sack. NO starts at 9:15. nothing to do with our soon-to-be-re-elected-PRESIDENT.

go barry!

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 3:04 PM

thanks 2:57. you're no douche-sack in my book.

Posted by mb | October 19, 2012 3:08 PM

10/18/2012 not 10/18/2011

Posted by October 18, 2012 | October 19, 2012 3:20 PM

"It is common knowledge that those who preferred New Order back in the day were either flaming homosexuals or had woefully low self esteem.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose"

It is common knowledge that those who acted like their taste in music was somehow superior (even though music is subjective) were flaming homosexuals and had woefully low self esteem, further affirmed with adding pretentious French frog sayings to their statements.

#themoreyouknow

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 3:22 PM

^ smh @ buckeye shrimper

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 3:26 PM

The crowd at this show was absolutely horrible. New order had a good set list but they were just okay... The video projections were laughable at some points. And as always at roseland, mikes crap out and there is feedback. Always tech problems there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 3:40 PM

That's not French, that's Rush lyrics!

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 4:06 PM

The crowd was weird... I almost don't know how to describe it. It was old, nerdy, bridge and tunnely, with some big bachelor party like groups of businessmen thrown in... ?! Not what I expected at all. I've never been to a show with such rude, pushy aggressive people. I mean like yelling-at-you pushy. Not a fun vibe at all. Kinda ruined the experience.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 4:09 PM

If they played Leave Me Alone off of Power, Lies and Corruption it would have been top notch, overall fantastic time...crowd did blow...but whatever I had fun

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 4:32 PM

I was right up front / got there at 5pm/ crowd was friendly/ I went towards the back near the end of the show and it was noticeably lame . I couldn't be there early today , so no upfront/ so I sold my ticket/ no way was I being with that crowd

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 4:36 PM

Had so much fun! Stayed towards the back bc I forgot my plugs but still had a blast. During True Faith I saw two guys smacking each other and then they laughed and hugged - huh!?!

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 4:39 PM

@4:39 True Faith video, minus the hug.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 5:26 PM

Crowds in New York are generally lame. Fact.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 5:35 PM

I don't know who is worse ... closeted sweaty taint loving sausages with woefully low self awareness or completely flaming big black cock loving New Order fans with woefully low self esteem .... ??? .... so hard to choose

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2012 7:09 PM

I loved friday nights show. It was really fantastic!

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 1:42 AM

Dude is rockin' his own merch, Maiden style.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 9:39 AM

I liked this band better when they were called Village People

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 9:41 AM

The show on Friday was Amazing!
I hope you return....

Posted by Pepper | October 20, 2012 1:39 PM

I don't know how Thursday's show was but last night was fantastic!

The crowd, at least where we were standing, was fine sans a handful of random assholes. Just a note: if you are an abnormally tall 40+ yr. old yuppie, go stand 15' away next to the elevated VIP area instead of blocking a large group of the crowd that has been standing in the same place for over an hour. I guess large groups of random strangers telling you to move wasn't enough. Maybe then guys won't swat your cup of beer all over you and your drunken hag of a Carrie Bradshaw wannabee wife/date. I you enjoyed your ride back to CT.

Also, why do people feel compelled to obnoxiously push and shove the crowd so they can get through. Hey, I know little blonde teenyboppers need to stand their ground in the big city, but come on puppy-dog, there is no need to shove guys and girls and aggressively overcompensate for your lack of height or commonsense and courtesy.Oh, next time buy a lighter and light your joint in one shot instead of unsuccessfully trying with an entire book of matches. I hope daddy doesn't miss that roach you stole.

Let's not forget the two drunken dorks who wanted to film each other and use the light of their phones to do so. Let's just pretend we are all alone in our dorm or apartment in L.I.C. That's not a crowd of fans standing behind us, they aren't trying to enjoy a show that they paid for. No, this spotlight isn't annoying, not at all.

So besides that, it was a fucking brilliant show!

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 2:43 PM

Well now, all I want to know is who else saw Mandingo dancing the night away at the show? Looked like he was having a blast, taking video of his friend on his phone. I'm sure that many in attendance would have rushed him for a slap and tickle if they knew he was there!

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 3:46 PM

What did Bernard say about the Cure? He said something between songs, I though some kind of comment about how long they panned to play...not sure really, but it sounded distinctly like he made mention of the Cure in some way.

I felt bad for the woman who failed a gravity-check on the steps going down to the coat-check/bathrooms. She was pretty busted up and there was some blood pretty much on the steps and on her, her head, and on the floor in her general vicinity while the EMTs worked on her with security keeping people away.

I stood by the mixing booth, and people were generally not obnoxious in that area. Smelled someone light up a joint somewhere nearby at the beginning of the show.

Great set-list. I would have liked to hear 1963 and Love Vigilantes, which were played the previous evening, but the show was awesome as they played it. And they seemed pretty happy to be playing through the entire show, which was fun. I didn't mind the newer selections, and was totally enjoying songs from of Power, Corruption and Lies, which they played about half of during the course of the show. I appreciated the obvious Joy Division selections. I think the place would have blown up had they played Ice Age before the break, and people nearby were shouting for Transmission before the encore.

Holy freaking bar-tab. At one point I asked for two Red Bull and vodka, large, for friends and it was more or less vodka with some Red Bull in it. Like, massive amounts of vodka. Hilarious.

The audience appeared to be mostly 25+ age-group. There were not enough people dancing, but there wasn't much room to do that anyway without barging and blundering into people like a discourteous imbecile.

The dude working the t-shirt counter was looking overloaded. I don't know why people need to be told to have their money ready when they order. I mean, wtf, people. I can only wonder if these same people are ignorant drivers. I saw the guy in front of me order the same shirt I wanted - Unknown Pleasures CP1919 graph on white on black - and when he was handed the shirt, it turned out the graph print was chrome-vinyl, so he declined, as did I; the shirt they had on the pricing board was just white print on black, and it looked more appropriate. I guess I don't really associate chrome-vinyl rave-type stuff with Joy Division. I know, the Factory, et al, but it just looked goofy.

This show was outstanding. Outside the venue after the show my friend was talking to a British guy who was there, and that guy was laughing about how many of the songs which were played were written before he was born (lolol, damn, getting old is getting old).

Posted by IWasThereFridayNight | October 20, 2012 3:48 PM

Bernie said something along the lines of them being less like the Grateful Dead and more like the Cure. Something like that, in reference to their set length.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 4:06 PM

Man, I LOVE this faggoty stuff. I'm sensitive, and I like to dance.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 6:15 PM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 6:28 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 7:01 PM

7:01 - Your ignorance about post-punk history and the subsequent dance music that it inspired is startling. Joy Division/New Order had so much influence on 80s music and beyond, that I'm shocked that it would have to be pointed out.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 7:42 PM

^ why u mad bro? u need 2 chill. it's horrible music, but no one is saying that you can't listen to it. seems like you're strung a little tight tonight. maybe dip a pita?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 9:00 PM

2:43, dear lord you sound insufferable, any other rules you want to lay down for everyone else?

"if you are an abnormally tall 40+ yr. old yuppie, go stand 15' away next to the elevated VIP area"

But if he does that gives others the right to smack his beer...check

"there is no need to shove guys and girls and aggressively overcompensate for your lack of height"

But wha..?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 9:24 PM

9:00 - Dumb as fuck right there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 9:33 PM

You dudes need to simmer down. Rockin Daddy will be here soon enough to set you kids straightm

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 10:27 PM

rockin daddy wayr r u?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2012 11:30 PM

9:24 -I think one rule to follow is be courteous to strangers and be cognizant of your surroundings. If not, be prepared to possibly deal with someone more obnoxious than you. This is New York after-all. Cutting someone online at Wholefoods would most likely not yield the same response that being a prick at a show or a bar would.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 12:57 AM

Great time at the show, all except for when I pushed this douchebro when he wouldn't stop kissing his boyfriend in front of me. Dude got TOTALLY emotional, like a BITCH, and wouldn't shut the fuck up the rest of the show. I'm not convinced he even knew who New Order was to begin with, I think he just wanted to be "out and proud".

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 9:19 AM

^^ 6:15, 7:01, 9:00 - waaaah, call a waaahmbulance and whine some more about people you hate, dumb-as-fuck, low-self-esteem, insecure dickwads. Or maybe you're all the same dumb-as-fuck pissant.

Posted by Single-Malt-Godzilla | October 21, 2012 11:53 AM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 6:25 PM

"To compare NO to either GD or The Cure is monumentally asinine and douchey. Both of those other bands helped define their generation, leading the creation of new genres of rock. New Order? Recycled dance music, and done epically better by Yaz and Pet Shop Boys. There is a better comparison - NO should be grouped with Yazoo, not The Cure."
Yaz were/are better than New Order? You have no clue. Yaz was one guy and a singer. NO are a rock band that uses electronics. Recycled dance music? You obviously were not around in the 80's. They did not sound like anyone else. They did however use some of the sounds of the day as Pet Shop Boys and The Cure. If anyone sounds "asinine and douchey" it's you. How old are you, 12?

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 7:29 PM

11:53 = Piss poor attempt at troll.
Try again, little lamb.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 7:32 PM

diversity from track to track

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 7:49 PM

anon 340: And as always at roseland, mikes crap out and there is feedback. Always tech problems there.

That is usually the bands fault, not the venue. New Order are notorious for that kind of thing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 7:52 PM

7:29 is rockin' daddy
Old like a witches fart

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 9:44 PM

"diversity from track to track"

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 9:57 PM

7:29 -Well said.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 10:24 PM

"the holocaust never happened."

ipods

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2012 10:28 PM

R O C K I N ' D A D D Y I S A B I G G E R N E W O R D E R F A N T H A N Y O U

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2012 12:02 AM

who cares about rockin daddy?

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2012 2:18 AM

the rockin' kids, presumably the rockin' wife

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2012 9:20 AM

Who cares about Rockin' Daddy?!?!?!? Rockin' Daddy knows the score, cat. Rockin' Daddy was there when it all began, and he's a bigger New Order fan than you 2:18! He also values Arctic Monkeys for their sheer talent and musical verve! So look out how you go talking about Rockin' Daddy, you whipper snapper!

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2012 9:30 AM

I was at both of the shows and had a great time, after the show I was able to meet them and get some autographs.

Posted by BKLYN11219 | October 22, 2012 1:55 PM

i was waiting for a post from the 10/19 show but it looks like it ain't happening.

RD here. i went friday night w/my sister. btw - i shared the comments from the previous NO item here where i was dubbed 'rockin daddy' with her & my wife and they loved them!

show friday was amazing. since i hadn't seen NO since 1989, it was a thrill just to be there. but they rocked hard. yes, very crowded, but we danced our asses off. suffering with sciatica ever since! (OK, let the metamucil and ben-gay jokes fly).

would've loved to hear transmission & shadowplay but only dallas was so lucky. i bought the unknown pleasures shirt even though it was shiny. the one on the wall was definitely white, but the girl said it was just the light hitting it. whatever.

although it was a great night, i definitely felt something was missing without hooky.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 2:05 PM

Gooks still love New Order

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2012 1:08 PM

Me to! I post to let people know how cool is this page. I don't know is about the money but is cool! I just wait until the next time!

Posted by Romantic images | November 15, 2012 4:58 AM

Theres about maybe 10 interesting metal bands who have been around for a while out 10,000 or so that pop up every 50 mints lately.

Posted by Download Firefox | December 10, 2012 8:06 PM

The band is named 'hooded menace' and the dude wears a hood all the time? What a clever little sausage...

Posted by two way radios | March 8, 2013 1:07 AM

I love new order when I was young and I still do now too.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 9, 2013 12:42 PM