Posted in music | music history | technology on October 8, 2012

Howard Scott (R) with the great Aaron Copland
Howard Scott
Howard H. Scott, known by some as the godfather of the LP, and others as a classical composer and producer, passed away last month in Reading, PA at the age of 92 after a fight with cancer.

In 1946, Mr. Scott was 26 and just discharged from the Army when he got a job at Columbia Masterworks, the label's classical division. He was soon assigned to Columbia's top-secret project: developing a long-playing record to replace the 78 r.p.m. disc, which could hold only about four minutes of music on each brittle shellac side.

The project had begun in 1940 and was nearing completion. But its engineers needed someone with musical training -- particularly the ability to read orchestral scores -- to help transfer recordings from 78s to the new discs, which played at 3 31/3 r.p.m., could hold about 22 minutes a side and were made of more durable vinyl.

Howard Hillison Scott fit the bill. -[NY Times]

He went on to produce many classical records with symphonies in Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis, and the New York Philharmonic among many many others, eventually winning a Grammy in 1966 for his production on Charles Ives's Symphony No. 1, performed by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

R.I.P. Mr Scott, your lasting contributions to both music and technology will be felt for generations to come.

Look at those lapels!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2012 10:55 AM

At least he lived long enough to see Best Coast albums pressed onto vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2012 10:59 AM

All my prays, dude who's been dead a month.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2012 11:03 AM

10:59: Like he needed even less of a reason to live already.

RIP, sir.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2012 11:50 AM

RIP. What's an LP?

Posted by Steve | October 8, 2012 1:17 PM

R.I.P Scotty!!

@Steve,
LP in music is refered to as Long Play or Long-Playing for microgroove record as as format for phonograph records!!

Posted by Shuffle | October 11, 2012 6:42 AM

I am kind of suffering from insomnia lately, but I would also like to stay asleep not feeling so emasculated. Can you recommend something else?

Posted by Decorations | November 23, 2012 6:19 PM

the only question was how to fund this transaction!

Posted by Massagem Lingam | May 15, 2013 9:09 AM

92 that is impressive. I hope I live that long.

Posted by mike | July 12, 2013 1:36 PM

http://www.foodsthatboostyourmetabolism.com/food-combinations-that-burn-fat/ This is the worst article of all, I've read, You are the worst writer. Thank you, this is the worst thing I've read. Reading this article - the gift of your time

Posted by produk k link | August 10, 2013 2:52 AM

http://www.foodsthatincreasemetabolismandburnfat.com/foods-that-burn-belly-fat-for-men/ I am looking for a competent writer, long time in this area. Excellent article!
I have read not one article on your blog. You're a big lad

Posted by Foods That Increase Metabolism | August 10, 2013 2:53 AM

I have read not one article on your blog. You're a big lad

Posted by Foods That Increase Metabolism | August 10, 2013 2:54 AM

Posted by Obat Pelangsing | August 10, 2013 2:55 AM

Posted by Fast Metabolism Diet Recipes Yummy | August 10, 2013 2:56 AM

Posted by fat burning foods for men | August 10, 2013 2:57 AM

Posted by arcondicionado | August 7, 2014 9:19 PM

Does this mean no more RSD?

Posted by bibber | August 7, 2014 10:13 PM