Posted in music | pictures on October 23, 2012

by Fred Pessaro // BBG

Rush at Barclays Center, 10/22/2012
Rush

Rush played last night at Barclays Center (10/22) as part of their steam-punk influenced Clockwork Angels tour. The Brooklyn crowd got a dosage of "rocket sauce", similar to the power trio's showing on Friday (10/20) at Prudential Center, a healthy balance of classic with later material. The setlist and pictures from the Brooklyn show, with all its rotating drum risers, ridiculous stage tchotchkes, multiple drum solos, and terrible video interludes, are in this post. Did I mention jaw-dropping instrumentation and great, great songs? More below...

RUSH AT BARCLAYS CENTER 10/22/12, SETLIST
Tom Sawyer
2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

cant wait to see Hundred Waters at Barclays

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:29 AM

"Dude that dude from Rush is the best drummer ever"

A common quote that is often heard.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:35 AM

Tchotchkes! Fred, you're one of us now!

Posted by ME | October 23, 2012 11:38 AM

I love Rush, and am not afraid to admit it, even in front of Brooklyn Vegan.
I thought the band was great last night, but what the hell was going on with the sound system? First there was no bass, then there was for a little while, and then it sounded like the whole subwoofer array went down during Spirit and it never came back! Anyone else notice? I was sitting in section 15, so I had good seats, almost directly opposite the stage and just off the floor.

Posted by Dan | October 23, 2012 11:42 AM

Was way up and sound was not great, which I was expecting. Performance was very good, tho.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:44 AM

Salesmen!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:48 AM

man i wish i had gone to this :(

Posted by Doc Brown | October 23, 2012 11:48 AM

Too many pictures. This site needs a photo editor badly.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:49 AM

I think that it is unbelievably cool that William Shatner is touring with them. Who knew he had such guitar chops?!?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:49 AM

11:48 gets the win for the Pee Wee reference

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:50 AM

amazing show! how could they not have pics/video of alex dancing the jig while waiting for his hapless roadie to fetch a new guitar during 2112??? c'mon!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:54 AM

The sound at Barclays is much much much worse then terminal 5.

It's probably the worst venue I've ever been too.

MSG is 100x better.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 11:55 AM

What do you expect from an investment bank?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:01 PM

^ LOL 11:55 was not there
True test? 2112 overture breaks = minimal slap
Then again, if you buy nosebleeds anywhere it's gonna be a shitty experience. Don't blame the venue for your stinginess.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:02 PM

He def purposely did an Ashlee Simpson/Stonehenge jig went his guitar went out.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:06 PM

^ Stonehenge is fitting for 2 reasons:
1) he was a gnome in the video
2) he had that one song from the 2nd set where he goes over to the CB LP and just hits the strings, like this @ 0:34:

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:15 PM

^ sorry, "CSB LP" not "CB LP"

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:16 PM

Comments not working in Depeche Mode post!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:34 PM

Half full?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:43 PM

Their asshat fans were packing the neighborhood bars to the gills. Fuck Barclay's Center.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 12:48 PM

Why so much Rush? What about pics from the Revelation shows?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 1:14 PM

This site needs a photo editor badly.

Posted by шины минск | October 23, 2012 1:18 PM

The sound was awful. I have never experienced acoustics so bad in my life. Makes the Nassau Colisseum seem like Carnegie Hall. The band started off great, and I have no doubt the show was awful, but i left after thge fifth song, which I couldn't even figure out what it was, as the sound was so bad. I saw Neil's sticks hitting the drums, but all I herad was the thumping of the bass drum. Zero clarity. so, to the people that wrote about how horrible the sound was, I concur completely. The venue and the sound quality were a complete disappointmnet to say the least. i will never attend another event at the Barclays.

Posted by anonymous | October 23, 2012 1:28 PM

12:48, poor baby

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 1:29 PM

The best part about seeing Rush is watching 18000 dorks play airdrums along with YYZ, and that middle part of Tom Sawyer.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 1:40 PM

Yeah, Barclay's sucks big time. Sound was horrible, and just trying to get back to your seat is such a hassle as the rows are way too narrow. The house lights are blinding in the upper deck and shine directly into your eyes, instead of illuminating the floor so you can see whose toes you're stepping on. And there needed to be some kind of sound reinforcement for the upper deck. There are speakers up there but they weren't used. Anything would've helped. Still, the outside looks nice I suppose.

And Rush still ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 1:42 PM

Brother man at the merch table looks like he does not want to work another Rush show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 2:27 PM

The sound really was terrible. Probably the worst I've heard anywhere. Have all shows at Barclay's been this bad?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 2:37 PM

The animated gifs of the rotating drum set is totally cool. Nice job.

Posted by Steve | October 23, 2012 2:38 PM

Sound was good from where I was (Sec. 26). A little boomy in the low bass, due to being close to the speakers and away from the sound man. I have also talked with several others in various other parts of the place, and they all agreed that the sound was good.

I think that buying shitty cheap seats and expecting everything to be super awesome does not speak to the venue or the band but to your immensely egotistical, immature worldview.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 2:39 PM

The sound was the worst I have ever experienced in my life. We started out in the cheap seats way up top and felt like we weren't even in the same room as the band. Couldn't tell what they were playing. So we went downstairs and moved all the way up front to section 7, just up on the side. Great seats visually, sound was slightly better but still crap. I'm really hoping this was the fault of the band, but am doubtful.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 2:52 PM

2:39, not being able to get better seats does not mean that it is OK for the sound system to suck like it did. I saw Rush at MSG (and a zillion other bands), as well as the Nassau C and the Meadowlands going back to 1977, often in the nosebleed section, and last night was the worst sound I can recall. Sorry, but shite is shite...

That said, I felt like the staff at Barclays were, to an individual, extremely nice and helpful. And the band played vey well.

Posted by ACME_Amadeus | October 23, 2012 3:04 PM

3:04 that was not my observation, at all. MSG is far far worse sound wise than BC. And NC? Not even the same league.

Having said that, I RARELY go to arena shows precisely because of the overall experience - the distance (physical, emotional) between the band and the performer is unacceptably far. Also, Rush is a band that plays the same set, night after night, with the same solos, the same arrangements - point being that I do not go for such a sterile experience any more. When I was young, I didn't seem to mind as much. But now, I would rather be in a smaller club - even T5 - for the more immediate experience.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:11 PM

Very true 3:04 - Barclay's staff were top notch! I mean really friendly, helpful and seemingly earnestly wanting each person to enjoy the show. Very refreshing.

Rush are always fun to see despite bad arena sound. Then again as a fan I can say that; to someone who doesn't like them I could see this being an overall pretty boring show until they got to the classic rock "hits" of Spirit and Tom S.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:14 PM

LOL - 2:39 is a know it all mind reader. You are super awesome and have an egotistical, immature worldview.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:16 PM

looks like prudential was the one.

funny how in old age Geddy is the one who looks best now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:18 PM

^ last night got Manhattan Project and Body Electric = better set for my money

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:25 PM

3:16
You mad bro? Someone spill PBR on your seat on the LIRR last night?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:26 PM

I'll also throw in a comment about the friendly staff. Everyone I dealt with (security, ticket-taker, beer person, usher) was super nice.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 3:58 PM

^ as opposed to around BV, that's for sure

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:00 PM

I only see bands in closets

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:11 PM

3:26 - not at all. I live within walking distance, bro. Just laughing at the mind reading professional sound engineer above.

Why you care, bro?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:16 PM

^ nah, you don't fool me bro. why u mad bro? you should breath deep and chill. the world is a beautiful place. alright bro?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:26 PM

I forgot just how great a song Spirit Of The Radio is. It's been a couple decades since I've heard it, but damn that jam still kills. So glad I got to hear that one again. Tom Sawyer? not so much. I could live the rest of my days without ever hearing that one again, and I would not have lost anything.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:37 PM

4:26 - wow, Long Island sounds like a great place! I'll have to visit sometime. I guess you've never been to Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:45 PM

It is so funny that full of shit blowhards are always offended by something.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:48 PM

$81 for an upper deck seat is stinginess?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:54 PM

Ha ha ha I would spend $40 TOPS for upper deck to ANY event ha ha ha if you're going to spend $81 you might as well spend an additional $40 or whatever to get the next level down.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 4:57 PM

^ Why you projecting, bro?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:15 PM

^ dumb as fuck right there

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:21 PM

i'm in your head bro. and you know it. it's worse than being touched inappropriately, isn't it bro?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:29 PM

Does anyone remember the Adam Sandler sketch on one of his albums,

'Dude'
'Homie'
'Bro'

Bro-dude reminds me of that. Keep on bro'in out dawg!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:35 PM

Hi, I had tickets in section 215 — and climbed up there to be "upgraded" to section "120" aka section "20".

There was something low end and cacophonous going on through the last half of the first set. It was either from Ghetty's station or Neil's mix... It could have been the section 20 acoustics too. Sucky.

Posted by palndrom23 | October 23, 2012 5:38 PM

more photos, please.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:41 PM

Ghetty.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:42 PM

i was excited to see the new arena, as it's awesome looking on the outside (IMHO). too bad the sound was terrible, to the point that i couldn't recognize songs, the seats were too small (no, i'm not overweight), and the rows too narrow. really sucks.

on the flipside, the staff was super friendly. i was planning on going to many shows here. now, probably not, due to poor sound/anorexic seats.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:43 PM

Be cool or be CAST OUT.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:43 PM

Great to hear some obscurities during the first set. But this is the first time I've seen them where they haven't done Closer to the Heart, Red Barchetta, or Free Will.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 5:45 PM

The seats down low were oversized (really!) and the sound was excellent. I don't know where some of you were sitting, maybe in MSG?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 6:11 PM

Don't Tase me Bro

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 7:54 PM

We were in section 121 - as with palndrom23, we had tix to a section further up and then were moved down after schlepping up there first - and the sound was good for us. Friends 2 sections over complained about the muddy mix, so clearly there are some issues.

Posted by yummovision | October 23, 2012 8:40 PM

I'm shocked, shocked! A basketball arena has bad sound for concerts! I told you fuckers, all ya, back when they announced the plans for this abortion. It's a basketball arena - it's designed to amplify sounds to make the crowd seem larger than it is. People get pad a lot of money to ensure that.

Alright Mr. White! Alright science!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2012 9:37 PM

the first 6 pics should have never been shown! and you truely need to look up the word composition and variety in the dictonary cause you fail every time in both.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2012 9:42 AM

^ overweight, unshowered, Cheetos-stained and herpes ridden is no way to go through life son

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2012 10:16 AM

@9:42 - You 'truely' need to graduate fifth grade before commenting any further, 'cause' your command of English is very tentative.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2012 10:18 AM

The dude working the merch counter looks like a wax young Eddie Murphy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2012 2:06 PM

Lifeson looks bloated

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2012 3:05 PM

Dammit, I want "Middletown Dreams" tonight in Boston! Thank CHRIST no "Closer to the Heart"...fuck that song...that and "Trees", I'm all set with live.

Posted by Bytor!!! | October 24, 2012 4:08 PM

I saw this show in Bport, CT on 10/10 in a 8000 seat venue and I was thinking that it was the perfect size joint to see RUSH. Great show/sound quality. I don't think their music lends itself well to massive volume and when you put them in 18000+ seat arenas, sound engineers are faced with some real issues. Not too many bands these days can pull off the huge places and give even 65% of the audience decent sound. Plus, very few shows seem to have enough PA...period. Go see ACDC, Metallica, Judas Priest or Rammstein and see how it's done!

Posted by NotARushLunatic | October 28, 2012 8:28 PM

Me to! I post to let people know how cool is this page. I don't know is about the money but is cool! I just wait until the next time!

Posted by Romantic images | November 13, 2012 11:56 AM

Theres about maybe 10 interesting metal bands who have been around for a while out 10,000 or so that pop up every 5 mins lately.

Posted by Download Skype 2013 | December 10, 2012 7:56 PM

the festival loses tons of appeal if they leave the polo grounds. the venue is why most people go!

Posted by Nimbuzz | December 12, 2012 4:31 PM