Posted in music on October 29, 2012

"Swans aren't canceling their Bowery show tonight. That's pretty badass, but it's sort of impossible to get around the city tonight. #refund?" - Dylan Treadwell

"Swans. Single handedly attempting to protect New York with a force-field of post-punk-noise from their Bowery Ballroom fortress. #Godspeed" - Wazu

"Of course Swans are still doing their NYC show in the face of imminent natural disaster. #Frankenstorm #Sandy" - @bloodandwires

Swans @ Bowery Ballroom - 10/28/12 (photo via Chris Clarke)
Swans

With almost everything else in NYC being cancelled, Swans, who already sound like the eye of the storm, decided to keep their Bowery Ballroom show on last night (10/28). Sandy hasn't really kicked into full effect yet, but with NYC public transportation shut down, many people were unable to get to the sold out show. Did you go?

Grimes would have played Music Hall of Williamsburg last night (where Swans are still set to play tonight), but her show was cancelled. She tweeted, "Swans is the only band that didnt cancel their show tonight despite the hurricane lol SOOO awesome." Swans band member Thor Harris also took to twitter, saying, "Swans are playing Bowery Ballroom in NYC to ring in the apocolypse. See you all in Hell."

The show was their first of two NYC shows with Devendra Banhart, and the second is scheduled to happen tonight POSTPONED. Most shows in NYC are already cancelled, but perhaps unexpectedly, this one is still on at the moment. Tickets are also still available... if you dare.

Some more Instagrams from the Bowery show are below.

Devendra Banhart

(photo via Kaina Dominguez)
Devendra

Swans

(photo via Adela Loconte)
Swans

(photo via Chris Clarke)
Swans

I have a ticket for tonight but trains are shut down so I can't get to Wburg. Will they offer refunds?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:18 AM

Are they going to issue refunds because only people who live in Manhattan could go?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:20 AM

I was there and it was one of the greatest shows I've seen them play.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:24 AM

Bummed ticket holders should simply complain to Ticketmaster that the show went on despite the mass transit shutdown and NYC being declared in an official state of emergency and you will get a refund. Ticketmaster would rather do that than deal with disgruntled customers and potential bad press.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:39 AM

@ 10:39 what alternate reality ticketmaster are you talking about?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:45 AM

I'd be pretty pissed if I had tickets and couldn't get there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:52 AM

swans> bag of dicks

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:54 AM

fuck bowery presents so much for this. i'm just going to call chase and dispute the damn charge since that may actually get results. don't waste your time calling ticketmaster.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:55 AM

Take a fucking cab, you pussies.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:05 AM

You could have taken the train to Manhattan, or downtown, a little early, and then caught a taxi home. Or walked over the bridge (it wasn't raining). Stop being pussies who ask for ticket refunds at the slightest inconvenience--your case doesn't, um, hold water.

Posted by Regular reader | October 29, 2012 11:06 AM

Who duhs this fat bald self-rightchus dushebag thinks he is?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:15 AM

Ticketmaster is giving out free rainbows and puppies to the first 5 callers. Act now!

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:17 AM

i don't want a refund. just set another date. Some common sense is in order. And fuck you with your get tough attitude and spit in the eye of the storm apocalyptic view.Grow the fuck up. Its a concert.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:18 AM

I could see maybe having the concert last night cause the only problem was the MTA.
But having a concert tonight during the height of the storm is just irresponsible.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:22 AM

I do love the "swans and Gira are so cool and tough cause they played" comments. Oh yeah Gira, such a big strong tough guy braving the elements. Let's see you play tonight outdoors somewhere like say McCarren Park.

Cmon douche, the weather means nothing to you, right?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:24 AM

11:06 That response is the height of little rich kid privilege. Just because you have money and nothing better to do with your time doesn't mean everybody else does.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:29 AM

Whiney fucking hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:32 AM

obviously the decision to play was based solely on financial reasons.... the band and/or promoter did not want to incur any cancellation fees..... this just screws ticketholders who could not attend or did not attend due to an attack of common sense

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:32 AM

Just curious for anyone who went: How many people were there? Like, ten??

Posted by Holly | October 29, 2012 11:40 AM

having a car is nice. 50-minutes of 'the seer' was even better.

gira kissed christoph's hand. they were all laughing and giddy on stage. it was weird.

best swans show i've seen. new songs sound killllllleer.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:41 AM

Remember when Sunn 0))) played the old Knitting Factory downtown during the MTA strike several years ago? That hardly kept anyone away. The show was packed and probably the best time I had seen them. Props to Swans for playing, but I would have bailed if I had a ticket and was unwilling to drive there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:45 AM

These fucking swans make me sick

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 11:45 AM

Grow the fuck up.

Posted by goodyear | October 29, 2012 11:54 AM

They were incredible and looked like they were having a great time. Venue was about 1/2 full (at the most), and if it was packed the energy would have been mind-blowing. I felt very fortunate to be there, and am sorry for those who didn't make it. I'm sure part of the reason they decided to go on was to avoid the cancellation fees, etc., but it's also a business and they've been in it for a long time, so it is what it is. That said, Gira was very gracious with the crowd and seemed to truly appreciate those of us who made it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 12:05 PM

Who duhs this fat bald self-rightchus dushebag thinks he is?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 12:08 PM

11:18 you are such a whiny pussy. I like that they played.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 12:13 PM

I'm just glad I went to the first show a few weeks ago. Also glad tonight's show is postponed.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 12:20 PM

Yes yes we ALL KNOW Swans rule and they probably played the greatest set ever last night, but the bottom line is, this was announced as a SOLD OUT show, but the venue was only half full. While I'm 100% sure that other 50% would have much rather been there, that other half needs their money back.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 12:21 PM

"they probably played the greatest set ever last night"

You know that is not true at all. The tool above posting on and on saying that has probably seen Swans like 3 times and i would bet never saw them before these last 2 years

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 12:29 PM

I didn't have tickets to this, and don't want a refund. I just want to say that all the herbs on here complaining about not having mommy around to drive them to the show should just go for a swim in the Hudson right now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 1:22 PM

@12:29 - Seen 'em more times over more years than you've seen Grizzly Hand Bear Projectors.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 1:25 PM

"I didn't have tickets to this, and don't want a refund."

Then shut the fuck up 1:22.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 1:47 PM

"Then shut the fuck up"

I'd like to see you try to make me cupcake. OK, ball's in your court now tough guy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 1:58 PM

@1:25 tool. I laugh at you and your stupidness. Oh and you are wrong and probably lying which is the lovely thing about the internets.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Drink my urethral pus through a coffee stirrer, you trust fund dingleberry faggot fucker.

Also, happy halloween! Come on up to Turtle Bay (TuBa) tonight for a hurricane-themed bondage party featuring a kiddie pool full of ground-up Tums that I will be snorting up my butthole!

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 2:29 PM

^ this person has a beard, weights <100 lb, moved to Williamsburg from some flyover small town in Ohifuckdakodowa, and is at this moment wearing the same knit cap he wore all summer long.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 2:47 PM

^ fag

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 3:36 PM

I'm only slightly chubby, have a bald spot but am not bald, and don't douche because I'm a guy. Let's shake hands and agree to disagree about my appearance and behavior.

Posted by Regular reader | October 29, 2012 3:58 PM

Who duhs this fat bald self-rightchus dushebag thinks he is?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 4:17 PM

lol white people

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 4:44 PM

yo blak people

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 5:26 PM

The songs varied more in 1995 and 1997 when Swans played live. Swans or whoever should have considered the situation sooner for Mon especially when theres no trains.

All this shit talk sounds like goon metal heads or 22 year old who discovered them 2 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2012 10:21 PM

This isnt even swans. Its the lead singer and session players, playing 12 brand new songs no-ones ever heard before and no old material. How is this different from Smashing Pumpkins?

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2012 12:27 AM

Norman Westberg is still in the band.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2012 12:36 AM

12:27 - the fact you reefer to Gira as simply the lead singer shows how stupid you are.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2012 1:39 PM

consThanks for sharing the information, It's very informative and helpful.ultarcpfgratis.com.br

Posted by consultar cpf gratis | October 30, 2012 5:20 PM

the festival loses tons of appeal if they leave the polo grounds. the venue is why most people go!

Posted by Faster Download | November 18, 2012 1:49 PM

This band is great live and on record. Haters to the left, as my main man Kenneth Parcells would say.

Posted by Gnagen | January 21, 2013 3:39 PM

very good, this band is spectacular, much love to go to a concert of them, I wonder, when will come to Brazil? I'm here now waiting a long time and very anxious

Posted by Higienizacao de Ar | May 15, 2013 9:49 PM