Posted in NYC | music on November 16, 2012

Fans at Pitchfork, July 2012 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Pitchfork fans

Much like the droves of citizens that are proposing a departure from the union in the wake of Obama's reelection, there is a portion of NYC that is proposing secession as well...

The founding hipsters first arrived on Bedford Avenue two decades earlier convinced that the East Village was "overpriced" and that more generally, Manhattan was "so over."

In recent years, the trustifarians have turned the Bedford Avenue area into a disneyland of fashionable shops and expensive cocktail bars. The baby-bankers living in the glass, waterfront towers have pushed out the smack junkies and complain to the police about "noise" from rock musicians.

As such, the grittier East Williamsburg would prefer to disassociate from Williamsburg as a fully separate and independent neighborhood. The people of East Williamsburg actually have real jobs. Their shops are not particularly fashionable. Some of the bars are genuinely dangerous dives. Please allow the neighborhood to secede.

The petition is currently 12 deep into its 25,000 required signatures.

USA! USA!

This is a real problem in today's society with everything that has been going on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:05 PM

Troll Bait post

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:08 PM

this whole thing about everyone in williamsburg having a trust fund is so stupid. i know tons of people in wiliamsburg and they all have real jobs or work a bunch of shitty jobs to pay the rent.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:12 PM

, waterfront towers have pushed out the smack junkies and complain to the police about "noise" from rock musicians.?????

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:20 PM

Yes, 5:12.. like that halal cart vendor. spoke to him once; pretty sure he doesn't have a trust fund.

There's also the bouncers at Public Assembly, Cameo, and MHoW. Pretty sure those dudes are not trustafarians.

Also, many of my coworkers interning at Insound all told me they do not have trust funds AT ALL. I'm sure the stipend they get from that gig is enough to pay the rent!

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:22 PM

.... What bar in East Williamsburg is "genuinely dangerous"?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:24 PM

someone please direct me to a 'genuinely dangerous dive bar' in East Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:24 PM

to hell with part of Williamsburg splitting from the other part, what about ALL of Williamsburg splitting from the rest of BROOKLYN?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:26 PM

Now the the old-time residents have been pushed out by the hipsters, they should carpet bomb the whole place. No one of value lives there anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:28 PM

Those of us that don't live in Williamsburg (East or West) consider the whole thing a shit sandwich with an anal pickle. So go do whatever you want, yo yos. You're all smelly.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:38 PM

"Dangerous" what a bunch of pansies.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:39 PM

ugly and/or poor people are mad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:52 PM

Isn't it just a matter of time till East Williamsburg is just as gentrified though? Kind of an empty gesture if you ask me...

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:54 PM

^it's a joke dum dum

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:57 PM

I watched The Warriors once.. It was a good movie.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:57 PM

Will hummus b present?

Posted by GOON | November 16, 2012 5:59 PM

5:12, or they have 3 or 4 roommates....

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 5:59 PM

Remember when Hispanics used to live in East Williamsburg?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 6:02 PM

5:54, it IS just as gentrified. All I see in that neighborhood are grown white men on skateboards, and nerdy girls with glasses.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 6:07 PM

I want Williamsburg to become like Aspen, Colorado. Then I'll move there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 6:25 PM

When I arrived to williamsburg 15 years ago, all you got was about 150 real artists living there in a sea of polish and puerto ricans. So 20 years ago there were no hipsters there. And until about 8 years ago the word hipster had a totally different meaning, a way more positive one.

Posted by ME | November 16, 2012 6:35 PM

I've sailed that sea of polish and puerto ricans. Word to the wise: Do not let any of them on your boat!

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 6:47 PM

5:52- the people in the above picture are hideous. Please troll more successfully.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 7:11 PM

15 years ago we were making fun of you "real artists" moving into the hood. navelgazenavelgazenavelgaze

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 7:13 PM

The trustafarian versus "real" hipsters is so retarded. Let's be honest with ourselves, the vast majority of white people in Williamsburg all started at least halfway to 2nd. So while you might not have a trust fund, I'm sure you have a nice cushy home in a flyover state to fall back on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 7:57 PM

ok east williamsburg, you can secede, but only if you go all the way out of brooklyn into queens. you can be east williamsburg, queens.

deal?

Posted by HF | November 16, 2012 8:23 PM

I live in the East Village because I can't afford Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 8:24 PM

I'm gonna totally secede from seceded East Williamsburg

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 8:55 PM

What exactly is so bad about cool restaurants, bars and music clubs that have sprung up? 10 years ago there were few good restaurants there. Yeah there some dopey young people but so what. I believe it's called progress. E Williamsburg will be the same way in 5-10 years. The whole "it used to be so much cooler" argument is so worn out. Things change - that's life.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:38 PM

why do you have a picture of people at a festival in Chicago for a story about two Brooklyn neighborhoods

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:54 PM

yo fuck north wburg! they took our jobs!!!!

Posted by big dick graham ave representaaa | November 16, 2012 10:47 PM

^wat

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:58 PM

Donald trump, with his "sweep" hairstyle, has combined impeccable hipster fashion with a capitalist gentrifier business acumen. Setting trends, out past the cutting edge with famous celebrities, and married to one of the world's top supermodels, he embodies all that we aspire to become.
God bless you Donald Trump, you inspire us to keep the hipster faith alive.

Posted by KING OF MANHATTAN | November 16, 2012 11:53 PM

^yup shout out to d triz

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 12:07 AM

All I would really like to know is ... will everyone be OK if my Billyburgers continue to make those hipster kiddies happy in both the EAST and the WEST of Williamsburg? Dear, oh dear. I hope so. What about the folks of NORTH and SOUTH Williamsburg? Are they just nothing? What about their feelings?

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 12:56 AM

The north Williamsburg area is mad ghetto.

Like N10th and Berry yo.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 2:37 AM

12:56, South Williamsburg doesn't exist to hipsters. That's where the Heebs live.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 4:51 AM

I miss NYC. I didn't even notice it vanishing, and then one day I looked around and it no longer existed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 5:25 AM

How can this not be a joke?

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 7:30 AM

^ The part of this that is a joke is when they actually have to start getting a job and working for a living. That's when this all gets to be funny as fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 9:33 AM

I think they need to go protest in front of the UN like those smelly misinformed palestinian hippie protestors

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 11:21 AM

this quote is overused but it applies very much: the lady doth protest too much.

Posted by Bendrix | November 17, 2012 12:10 PM

Of course this has the most comments on this site

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 12:16 PM

^ wrong - Hostess and Mancum totally eclipsed this thread. But do come back now when your in town again, 12:16.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 12:21 PM

^^I didn't mean literally...

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 12:46 PM

^^^ you were factually inaccurate. it doesn't work figuratively or literally. basically, you made no point whatsoever, and in fact proved yourself to be more useless thank the idiots making the petition. good job, Meagan!

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 12:57 PM

>implying bankers don't have "real jobs" and record store cashiers and bartistas do...

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 2:58 PM

As a Goldman Sachs employee living in Williamsburg I am very thankful for the fact that I can live in my high rise condo and walk to have overpriced drinks at the Wythe Hotel and don't have to worry about junkies trying to kill me or hipsters giving me AIDS.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 3:00 PM

young privileged people whose parents "only" pay their $1000 rent looking down on young slightly more privileged people whose parents buy them condos, and on hardworking professionals who might not have come from privilege or had the opportunity to "find themselves." true revolutionaries.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 3:38 PM

^jealousy is unbecoming

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 4:08 PM

Rich white people ruin everything.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 4:28 PM

^ im so sure dude

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 4:36 PM

"^jealousy is unbecoming"

how was your avantgarde yoga major at gallatin? is it enabling you to contribute to society and develop new modalities of communication?

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 6:53 PM

^sweet child, rehotric don't hold no weight. No one cares about your hood. Think on that.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 10:15 PM

if you could afford it, you'd live on n9th and Bedford. come on, at least admit it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 17, 2012 10:38 PM

^I have the money. Pass. Nice to visit. No desire to live there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2012 6:59 PM

Since I see many of you taking advantage of the anonymity of this internet forum, I'd like to get a few things off my chest....

1. The writing on this website is TERRIBLE. And yet, I keep coming back. Are we in the end times?

2. To the fellow above who claimed to be part of the original '150 artists' who colonized Williamsburg back in the 70s: that must have been an amazing time, to see so many real artists among the Poles and Puerto Ricans; if only somebody would curate a retrospective to document the work of those pioneers! Or maybe curate a tumblr? I would very much like to see all that magic gathered in one place.

3. When I come to this website, sometimes I fantasize that all the commenters on this site are one person. Sometimes it helps me ignore all the bad writing. Sometimes I fantasize that that person is me, but mostly you all are just one beautiful slob in a dark room somewhere near Scranton. I knock on your door; I'm here with your delivery: two extra larges with everything. The door's open and you spin your leather chair around; I see your naked, moist body. You beckon and I open the door. You ask me to put the pizzas on the coffee table. You ask me to take off my shirt; I do, though I'm not sure why. You ask me if the pizza is hot, and I say that yes, it is very, very hot. Too hot to eat just yet. I remove my bra even though you didn't ask. I approach you and tease your lips with my hard nippes. I think I can see your stiff dick hiding in there somewhere. You ask me to remove a piece of pizza, and I do. I blow on it, straddle you, tear off a bit and feed it to you, one bite at a time.
4. I'm not sure why everybody is so uptight about Williamsburg. Is it just because 'hipsters' (I'm sorry, the 150 real artists...) were the gentrifiers? Is it because halcyon days of Williamsburg and the Brooklyn 'scene' are perceived to be a time full of magic and possibility? Was it a time when anything could happen? Did people complain about the LES like this? What I am trying to say is that many, many neighborhoods have been colonized by 'urban pioneers' and have become expensive places where white people like to live. Why give Williamsburg such a hard time?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2012 10:25 PM

This blog site is created well and I like the subject, thank you.

Posted by Christophe | November 18, 2012 11:02 PM

East Williamsburg is definitely on it's way up! There's a ton to do here and new restaurants, shops popping up every day. Follow the artists.

Posted by Mike | November 18, 2012 11:24 PM

It doesn't matter in the end it all will fall nothing is built to last anymore

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2012 1:43 PM

Williamsburg and East Williamsburg are completely gentrified. Bushwick is in the process and will be there in 5 years.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2012 2:03 PM

that pic says it all

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2012 3:14 PM

btw - the dude who made this petition up just moved to east williamsburg less than a month ago from jersey.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2012 3:46 PM

oops. meant he moved to east williamsburg from jersey less than a year ago. do what you want with that fact.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2012 3:49 PM

And the petition got only 32 sigs haha. EVERY neighborhood goes through this. For example the very expensive posh UWS was once home to Needle Park. Ask any native Upper West Sider if they want to see that again and they will say no. Many parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan have gone through this and will be going through this. I live in one of those nice condos off Bedford but guess what I busted my ass for 14+ years doing what I do and decided to buy a place. Back when I first moved to the city I tried to pay as little rent as possible living near Spanish Harlem. Point is I worked hard and tried to improve my lifestyle as far as living conditions year after year. For all those kids who are young living off their parents will be gone in 2-5 years if they aren't working hard to make it here. I did and bought a vested stake in this hood because I believe in it. And though I'm not native to WB I grew up in this area and knew NYC in its edgier years. Yeah it was fun but its gone. It's funny seeing some of these hipsters trying so hard for street cred - those are the hanger oners to the art and music scene who will be gone like I said. The true artists don't care where they live. They just move to places that have the space to allow them to perform their craft and God bless em.

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2012 7:00 PM

Get rid of Williamsburg and Astoria. Cut them off before they infect the rest of the city.

Posted by David Dinkins | January 6, 2013 2:02 AM

How about the result of this event?

Posted by the marriage savior system | July 4, 2013 4:59 AM