Posted in music on November 27, 2012

Andrew WK

Party on, below...

Andrew WK

OFFICIAL STATEMENT: Andrew Shares Facts From His Side Of State Dept. Controversy

November, 27th, 2012, New York City - The U.S. Department of State has officially rescinded their invitation that would have had Andrew W.K. represent the United States as a Cultural Ambassador. As covered by such outlets as The Washington Post, Pitchfork, Time Magazine, FOX News, Huffington Post, Gawker and many others, W.K. was formally invited by the State Dept. to visit Bahrain as a Cultural Ambassador to The Middle East, promoting music, freedom, and positive party power. The trip was to take place the week of December 2nd, 2012. Only days before W.K.'s scheduled journey, the State Dept. pulled the plug and canceled all of Andrew's Middle Eastern events. According to The DCist, a State Department spokesperson said that W.K. had indeed been invited, but that they changed their mind after deciding it was "a mistake" and that Andrew's message of positive partying was "not the best choice and didn't meet our standards."

In addition to being a rock 'n' roll musician, and earning his well-deserved title "King of Partying", W.K. is also an in-demand motivational speaker. He has been chosen in recent years to deliver motivational speeches at Harvard, Yale, Carnegie Mellon, Northeastern University, Hollins University, University of Michigan, Concordia College, SXSW, CMJ and a My Little Pony convention in Ohio, among others. He has also worked extensively on television, hosting several series, including the very successful children's game show, Destroy Build Destroy, for multiple seasons on the Cartoon Network.

Commenting on this latest turn with the State Dept., W.K. said:

"I'm disappointed and puzzled by their change of heart and last minute decision. I was personally invited to take this trip by The U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain over a year ago. They came to me. The first email they sent me is dated September 13th, 2011 asking me to give a motivational lecture in Bahrain. I was overjoyed and accepted their invitation immediately. We moved forward and completed their extensive approval process, background check, booked all the flights and travel, and had numerous phone calls with the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Office in Manama, Bahrain, who were handling the details. I was scheduled to fly to Bahrain on Saturday, Dec. 1st, 2012. We received our official itinerary from the State Dept. at 5:58am, on Monday, November 26th, 2012. Less than six hours later, we received an urgent telephone call informing us that the entire trip had been canceled, due to some higher level controversy. We couldn't get any more information or answers as to why this was suddenly canceled at the last minute. When I was originally invited by our contact, it seemed everyone was aware of what I stand for with my positive attitude. They were aware of how I look and my high-energy rock music. They were excited to bring my message of living life to the fullest to the people in the Middle East. I was thrilled at the opportunity to represent my country and the spirit of inclusive and open-minded freedom that makes our nation so special and inspiring. So, for a Department of State representative to say Andrew W.K. 'doesn't meet their standards' after they invited me and planned my trip for a year... well, that doesn't meet my standards either. You can't judge a book by its cover. I would've done a great job and represented our nation with dignity and pride. Despite all these challenges, I still would love to go and I vow to continue partying, and working everyday to to unite our human race through the power of positive partying."

Tags: Andrew WK

It's for your own good, Andrew. We already have the greatest cultural ambassador ever in history in our president.
Barack Hussein Obama. Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmmm.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:10 PM

Hoax.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:15 PM

What a clown.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:20 PM

And for the gazillion time, what exactly is that you do, Andrew??

Posted by ME | November 27, 2012 4:23 PM

^ He plays music.

... because who in Bahrain DOESN'T want to party hard?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:27 PM

but WHICH andrew wk would have gone

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:28 PM

Seriously this guy is a no talent clown.

"We couldn't get any more information or answers as to why this was suddenly canceled at the last minute."

Let me help you out here doofus. Somehow when it was an under the radar, ie not fully out to the general public, this seemed like a good idea to the State Department. How in the world some fucknut there thought this was a good idea or worthy is beyond me.
In any case Andy Boy, the minute you started tweeting this stupidity and the major press picked up on it, suddenly the reality of sending your dumb ass over there woke up the higher level people and it was cancelled.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:30 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:37 PM

Ringo from Brookhaven Animal Shelter & Adoption Center (Brookhaven, New York) calls BULLSHIT on this clown

Posted by Ringo | November 27, 2012 4:41 PM

Clown shit, quite literally

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:48 PM

This is bigger than Benghazi! Where's McCain!

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 4:55 PM

"Enough, just enough. This guy's cultural relevance is zilch and it's kind of ridiculous how often he is featured on this blog. One novelty hit song a decade ago doesn't make you an ambassador to anything."

Welcome to Brooklyn. Next we can introduce you to FRIENDS, DIIV, Total Slacker, and Tell All Your Friends PR.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 5:02 PM

Lol at the guy talking about cultural relevance. Its music dude, and you are a fucking idiot. Kill yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 5:12 PM

"One novelty hit song a decade ago doesn't make you an ambassador to anything."

But writing that comment Anon 4:37pm does make you completely and utterly clueless.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 5:18 PM

^^^ fist pumping bros defend the paris hilton of indie rock

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 5:28 PM

this dunce just keeps jumping the shark again and again and again and again

Posted by son | November 27, 2012 5:35 PM

He seems like a nice guy

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 5:41 PM

Bahrain has been using tear gas on it's people for over a year now (they want democracy) Many have died due to repeated exposure of this gas.

We (U.S.) have been funding their gov't for years as their country has a very important strategic location with regards to Iran. (war positioning)

There are many reports that the gas used on their own people came from our factories in Pennsylvania. When CNN reporter Amber Lyon tried to report the story she was fired.

Google Amber Lyon / Bahrain if you are interested in more info.

Regardless of what you think about Andrew W.K. I kinda wish he was able to get out there and wile out with the people a bit. They could use the boost. I voted for "O" but also recognize him as a lyin' ass cock muncher as well.

Posted by Burg | November 27, 2012 5:56 PM

Indie types wouldn't like him because he gives off vibes of not having been a loser in high school.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 5:57 PM

Maybe they thought he wouldn't keep his mouth shut about what's really going on there.

Posted by Burg | November 27, 2012 6:09 PM

dear 5:57
indie rock these days sucks balls, too.
try harder.

Posted by son | November 27, 2012 7:19 PM

...but he gives off vibes of being a loser now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 7:27 PM

Obviously Andy, somebody was fucking with you for a long time and you were too dumb to realize it

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 7:30 PM

I read through these comments and I have an uncontrollable urge to kick every one of you in the fucking box

oh, and 5:12 you need to take your own advise.

Posted by Ringo | November 27, 2012 8:06 PM

Romney would've sent The Osmonds. Because to Mitt, nothing screams hip cultural attache like Donny and Marie.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 8:41 PM

I heard there is really good hummus in Bahrain.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 9:02 PM

7:30 really nailed it

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 9:04 PM

Send Sarah Silverman instead.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2012 10:04 PM

Andrew WK rules.

Fuck (almost) all of you.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:08 AM

How is this fucking goofball still around? Who listens to this shit? Weird Al has more street cred.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:28 AM

^You care SO much! And your comment is SO original! Please contribute more!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:32 AM

Talentless douche.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 1:59 PM

Wow, so much hate in one place. Real harsh. It's not like the dude is Hitler.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 2:45 AM