Posted in music | pictures on November 13, 2012

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Madonna @ MSG 11/12/2012
Madonna

Luckily I'd gotten the memo that she goes on EXTRA late, so I wasn't one of the bitter concert goers who arrived when the doors opened at 7 pm, only to have to wait for Madonna to take the stage nearly FOUR hours later. Madonna hit the stage around 10:45 and finished 2 hours later at 12:45 am! I've never seen anything end that late at an arena show, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

I enjoyed the Madonna show, but not for the reasons I usually enjoy concerts. Madonna's show is less of a concert and more of a Broadway-esque spectacle where they just happen to be dancing to Madonna tunes all night. At 54 years old, you've got to respect that she's taken care of her body and she looks great. I am not entirely sure if that's a reason to strip down to your bra and panties in front of 20,000 people (and with your children present), but I digress. [According to G]

Madonna played her first of two shows at Madison Square Garden last night (11/12) as part of her still-going-strong MDNA tour that was last in the area for two shows at Yankee Stadium in September. The two-hour show, which featured multiple costume changes (we were there for the cheerleader portion of the evening), made stops at most of her biggest hits ("Open Your Heart," "Like a Prayer," "Vogue") and the setlist is below. Madge also made time for a little speechifying too (you can watch video of below) which included talk on the recent election and Hurricane Sandy, the effects of which she saw in person when she visited the Rockaways on Sunday with MoMA curator curator Klaus Biesenbach (who has organized relief charity Aid for Rockaway). She was also selling "Free Pussy Riot" t-shirts at the merch booths.

Madonna plays MSG again tonight. If you're going, do note she tends to go on late (10:45 last night, according to G). More pictures from MSG night 1 and the setlist are below.

Madonna speech @ MSG 11/12/2012

Setlist: Madonna @ MSG, 11/12/2012 ([According to G">via)
Gregorian Chant Intro
Girl Gone Wild
Revolver
Gang Bang
Papa Don't Preach
Hung Up
I Don't Give A
Best Friend (video segment)
Express Yourself - Born This Way
Gimmie All Your Luvin'
Hits Medley (video segment)
Turn Up The Radio
Open Your Heart
Masterpiece
Justify My Love (video segment)
Vogue
Candy Shop
Human Nature
Love Spent
Nobody Knows Me (video segment)
I'm Addicted
I'm A Sinner
Like A Prayer
Celebration
Give It 2 Me

Madonna, honey, time to hang it up. Let Lady Gaga do this shit now. You're done.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 10:39 AM

Has anyone ever seen Madonna and Hillary Clinton in the same place at the same time?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 10:40 AM

Old broads should not be wearing cheerleader outfits. Creepyyyyyyyy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 10:49 AM

10:40 Yeah, at your mom's place that one night. Your mom stole the show, though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 10:50 AM

Ewwwww....gross

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 10:54 AM

I can't believe people pay hundreds of dollars for this.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:00 AM

Wrong place to shoot last night

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:07 AM

no changes from setlist earlier this year

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:10 AM

smh @ 10:50
back to joke skool 4 u
try again, this time with feeling

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:21 AM

^neither of you have ever been funny. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:26 AM

I could only be into this "ironically" if she was actually a guy. Look at those legs!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:29 AM

Got second-row, section 115 tix at 5:45p on stubhub for $11. That seemed about the right price.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:30 AM

11:10 unlike the ipods who have real diversity from show to show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:35 AM

11:26 what are you going to do when your F5 key breaks? oh rue the day!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:39 AM

@11:30
You lost a couple hours of your life getting the tickets and attending. Even for $11, you still lose.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 11:40 AM

She looks to be in really good shape. My mother should try to get into that good of shape.

Posted by Steve | November 13, 2012 12:13 PM

Hi, this is Mike from the Coldplay thread.
I live across the street from Beauty and Essex and I love Madonna also. I will fight anyone who says Madonna sucks. Come in front of Beauty and Essex.

Posted by Tough Guy Mike | November 13, 2012 12:14 PM

^ Hey brah, why so mad? Just becasue Mike showed you up as the blowhard fake tough guy you think you are, you don't have to post to all the pop threads (seeing a pattern here?).

You need to chillax, take a deep breath, and take it down a notch brah. Chiiiiiiiiill! It's gonna be OK, really. Just stop acting like a tough guy, and you won't get called out anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 12:25 PM

Axl Rose in every way: old, past her prime, and late for her shows. Bring the two of them on tour with Lauryn Hill. Show starts 72 hours after door time.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 12:36 PM

why is this dipship continuing some internet argument across multiple days and multiple threads? get a life 12:14!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 12:43 PM

Let's just be glad she chose the old, classic cheerleader outfit and not a current NFL cheerleader outfit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 12:50 PM

Very tiring show. Starting at 10:45 was not cool. Most of the audience is 30 to 50 years old. This was a Monday fucking night. She said a bunch of drivel about Hurricane Sandy and peace. Then her borderline Downs son came out to break dance. It was cringe-worthy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 12:56 PM

12:36, I laughed, kudos

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 1:40 PM

So pissed that I wasted my time and money going to this show. Some of us have job's and children that we have to get up for in the morning, not to mention trains to catch. How totally arrogant of Madonna to go on almost THREE HOURS LATE. We ended up missing half the show so that we could catch a train home. I can't imagine showing up for my job three hours late. I can't believe people didn't start throwing stuff at her. Never again, she is a rude, condescending piece of trash. Elton John was right except it's that she ACTS like a fairground stripper.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 1:43 PM

madonna was on fire last night! the show was spectacular and she constantly proves why she is so successful - no one can put on a show like her - NO ONE.

to the people who are complaining about the start time: it has been widely reported since MAY when the tour started that Madonna does not come out until after 10 - several local rags wrote about it in the days leading up to the show - and fans, and why would you go if you weren't a fan, also know all about this - stop complaining - its your own fault! and you keep forgetting to mention there was an opening act as well. this is new york, not smurf village - live a little !

Posted by me | November 13, 2012 1:48 PM

Everyone should ask for their money back...

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 3:39 PM

Leave Britney Alone!!!!!! *sob*

Posted by trilliumn35 | November 13, 2012 3:53 PM

What a f ing bitch keeping her fans waiting

Posted by Pac | November 13, 2012 8:31 PM

Neil Young played that late last time he played MSG but he did have Wilco open for him - amazing show

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 9:41 PM

1:48 - not accurate. She was not "on fire." It was rather dull. People were sitting down for a large amount of the show. Also, her making her kid perform like a monkey is inappropriate and sad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2012 10:08 PM

This isn't a trade show or business convention.
When a artist is still captivating all ages at 54.....that justifies her moments, her rules and her way.
It's music! Last I checked, there was never anything black& white about the industry. It's all gray! So enjoy the moment, celebrate a music legend and love her for all that she has brought to the world of music.

Amazing to see such a diverse audience! Beautiful!
Peace and love to all....I'm sorry for us tired corporate America workers tomorrow.....but it will be worth it. Cheers to all.
Peace...love and happiness

Posted by Think like a rock star | November 13, 2012 10:46 PM

Thank you for a well composed article, it truly made me believe.

Posted by Silvio | November 13, 2012 11:05 PM

An IP address, or internet protocol address, is a string of numbers unique to a particular computer or device on the internet. With it, authorities can usually track the identity of the person who sent an e-mail or visited a website.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2012 10:34 AM

To quote Kylie Minogue when asked what she thought of Madonna's cheerleader outfit: "No. And never."

Posted by JC | November 14, 2012 5:14 PM

I thought the show was great. I was a bit disappointed that it started so late, since i did have to go to work the next day, but i still think it was worth it. She is an icon, and who knows how long she'll be around to continue to perform. She displayed a lot of energy on stage, and re-vamped a couple of songs.

Posted by G | November 16, 2012 7:08 PM

Madonna still looks great.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 6, 2013 1:06 PM