Posted in music | pictures on November 28, 2012

photos by Gretchen Robinette, words by Andrew Sacher

Neil Young

When Neil Young walked out in a saggy red flannel last night (11/27) at the Madison Square Garden stop on his first tour with Crazy Horse in almost a decade, the "Godfather of Grunge" alarms were going off like crazy. And while you can't necessarily pin a man's style of music to his choice of attire for the evening, once Neil and Crazy Horse began jamming, their lasting impact on grunge and noise rock became the most apparent thing in the room. Like they've been doing on the rest of the tour, they opted for a night of the dirt, sludge, and raw noise that has been littered throughout Neil Young and Crazy Horse's career, and still comes across terrifically on their new album, Psychedelic Pill. They checked the pretty songs at the door, save for a solo acoustic performance of "The Needle and the Damage Done" from Harvest, but played nothing else from that album, After the Gold Rush, Deja Vu, On the Beach, or many of his other classics. And if that's what you were expecting to hear (which I imagine a large amount of people were expecting at a MSG show), the show may have come as a disappointment. But if you embraced what he did play, it was pretty damn amazing.

It's not very unusual for artists who have been at it as long as Neil Young to keep their new material to a minimum at shows and focus on the old hits, but with four of his thirteen songs being off Psychedelic Pill and two of those passing the fifteen-minute mark, Neil did nothing of the sort. And those Psychedelic Pill cuts not only hold up, but were highlights of the show. The most inspiring moment for me came from the massive "Walk Like a Giant," which pieces together short verses with extended fuzz-drenched guitar solos and ended with about five straight minutes of psychedelic noise. Of course the show wasn't without the old Crazy Horse favorites too though. They ended the set with three of the best and most characteristic moments of their career, "Cinnamon Girl, a stretched-out "Fuckin' Up," and "Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)." During that stretch of classic Crazy Horse, they also took things further back, squeezing in a cut from Neil's time with Buffalo Springfield, "Mr. Soul." They had a bit going on production wise too, with colossal mock Fender amps and a microphone, set up like a giant would be using them, a 50's-style TV screen that projected footage of the band on stage, and a road crew dressed as mad scientists and construction men. But overall, the show just felt like four guys rocking out together, and getting that from Neil Young in 2012 is a great experience to be part of.

Patti Smith

Before Neil Young and Crazy Horse took the stage, we were graced with a short but sweet set from Patti Smith and her band. Like Neil, Patti also has a very worthy album out this year, Banga, and the two songs she played off that ("April Fool" and "Fuji-san") fit right in with her classics like "Pissing in a River" and "Gloria." Patti also showed no signs of slowing down, and took over Madison Square Garden with her howls and screams piercing through her midst of punk poetry in a way where you knew she belonged in a small club, but could handle MSG with ease. In between songs, Patti gave short speeches about saving our world, rebuilding our cities after Hurricane Sandy, the honor of playing with Neil Young, and dedicated a song to Jimi Hendrix, who would've turned 70 yesterday. And Patti's voice wasn't the only thing as sharp as her early days. Like they've done in the past, Patti's band turned the acoustic "Beneath the Southern Cross" into a Velvet Undergroundy noise buildup that would've sounded at home on one of Patti's first two records.

The tour continues and returns to NYC on Monday (12/3) at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Tickets for that show are still available. More pictures from last night's show, including the other opening band, Everest, and Neil Young and Patti Smith's setlists, are below.

Everest

Twisted Road
Singer Without a Song
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
Fuckin' Up
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Encore:
Roll Another Number

Patti Smith at Madison Square Garden -- 11/27/12 Setlist:
Dancing Barefoot
April Fool
Fuji-san
Beneath the Southern Cross
People Have the Power
Pissing in a River
Gloria

should've been louder

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:45 AM

patti was great. Neil was honestly kind of boring.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:46 AM

can't wait for the inevitable comments, so i'll just throw out the buzz phrases from the casual neil fans' reaction to this tour.

self indulgent.
noise.
distortion.
profane.
boring.

i saw two shows on the tour and they were amazing.

Posted by taint | November 28, 2012 10:51 AM

Neil was great. MSG was about half full. the whole Crazy Horse tour has been amazing. it helps the new songs are long and noisy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:55 AM

I love Neil but it is lame with a catelog like his to not vary his setlist!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:56 AM

Why aren't they playing Driftin Back?!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:58 AM

Walk Like A Giant and Ramada Inn are 2 of his greatest songs ever, as others have pointed out. Singer Without A Song isn't in the same league and should be discarded. but the show was essentially perfect if you're a Crazy Horse fan.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:58 AM

with the boston setlist, i knew when to go and have my nacho-break...thanks bv!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:07 AM

The show was great. However, the new MSG layout is atrocious. They tore that place up to make room for luxury boxes (which were EMPTY) for the show last night. Also, there's no way this show was sold out. I got offered a couple of tickets for 10 bucks last night before heading in to the venue. The sound was great but my nose is still bleeding.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:14 AM

Animal Collective puts on a better show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:30 AM

Should have been louder for sure

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:31 AM

I thought the show was good. Not great.
Patti was great!
Neil was good.
The new MSG SUCKS!~

I scored a $150 ticket for $20 outside. Glad thats all I paid.
I feel sorry for the folks that paid full price.
For the amount of $ they were charging for the the tickets,
Neil should have played more of the old hits.
I like the new stuff (esp. "Walk Like a Giant"), but when an artist has a resume of hits and charges $100 plus for a ticket and plays mostly new songs - it seems like kind of a ripoff!

Posted by spike | November 28, 2012 11:37 AM

I think 10:56 and 11:37 might find The iPods more to their liking. Lotsa diversity from set to set.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:42 AM

Pretty bad show, terrible setlist.

Posted by fan | November 28, 2012 11:46 AM

New MSG does not suck, go to one of the Phish shows over New Years and tell me that venue sucks...

Posted by fan | November 28, 2012 11:47 AM

Patti was better than expected. was the actual album good? never heard it. the new songs last night were good and she sounded surprisingly great all the way through. (even "People Have The Power" sounded fine.)

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:54 AM

Something tells me it smelled really bad in The Garden.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 11:56 AM

11:37 and 11:46 are sadly correct.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:03 PM

Neil Young was ok. Animal Collective are legendary.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:07 PM

YES - The new MSG Sucks! Im talking inside the arena area.
Phish at MSG during NYE run is a whole other animal!
It was good before they re-modeled the Garden but lets see how you feel after you go this year.

The access with-in the arena sucks!
You can no longer move from the upper to lower sitting areas.
There used to be 3 levels of seats off the floor, now its only 2 levels.
Also used to be a central walk-way within the arena area that is no longer there.
All these new arenas suck!
It seems like they divide you into seperate classes of service - just like airplanes - first, business, coach!
I really dont see myself going to many more "arena" or "stadium" shows in the future.
It should be like the old days - same price for all tickets across the board!

Also Neils setlist is diverse, but it does not justify the amount of $ they charge for tickets!

Posted by spike | November 28, 2012 12:11 PM

The people saying it wasn't loud enough were probably nowhere near the stage. I could feel Neil's guitar tone in my knees. This show was outstanding and well worth the money. Nobody mentions the fact that Neil Young's sound, vocal chords and chops have gone unchanged since 1970. Except for the extra chins and beer guts, this band is frozen in time. That's a good thing, and rare if you're going to a show fronted by anyone 60+ years old. Oh, and Patti ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:11 PM

I was on stage and it still wasn't loud, wtf

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:25 PM

My take: Patti was very good, Neil could have been louder but was great especially "Walk Like A Giant". My only complaint was the anticlimactic encore of "Roll Another Number" Those expecting to hear "Harvest Moon" style songs were disappointed. This was hard rock. And yes, the new MSG sucks. They have made it like every other arena in the country. You used to be able to walk (and sneak to better seats)around, visit friends, get different views without having to go leave the seating area. Those days are gone. Also the beer and food is now more expensive. I used to look forward to going there - not any more.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:27 PM

I always love leaving a Neil Young show and hearing people bitch about how he doesn't play more of the hits.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:35 PM

Patti Smith is Rock n Roll royalty, seeing her for the first time truly blew me away! As for Neil Young, as much as I hate to say it, I should have seen him 10 years ago. He gave it the best he could with what he's got.

Posted by grlygnts | November 28, 2012 12:42 PM

Neil plays what he wants and charges you for the "privilege" of seeing and hearing it. Clearly the complainers didn't hit his last MSG show which featured a heavy dose of the then-unreleased "Fork In The Road." Yikes.

Regarding the new MSG - the sightlines are better, but the seats upstairs seem tighter. The in-arena walkway is truly missed (loved easily visiting friends in different sections during halftime at games) and the event-level suite seats were damn near empty in the new 100 level. Sickening. In the old MSG, people would've just moved down. Pretty much a bust.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:55 PM

Neil's voice. That god damn voice. He hits the notes with such purpose and clarity above the guitar drones. If it matters to you what he sings, then I am sorry for you. I wouldve loved to hear a "best of" show, but I am happier seeing a legend who is in no way a nostalgia act playing his new material this way.

New MSG layout castrates the entire venue for rock concerts. The lack of the middle ring between the old 100 and 200s is the worst. It once was the perfect concert venue, now its like any other shitty arena in this country.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:57 PM

...the peeps disappointed with this setlist would have besides themselves when he last played MSG with the Horse throwing out Greendale front to back without it even released...probably would have been really pissed off in the 70s wanting Harvest tunes only to get Time Fades Away or an unreleased Tonight's the Night wherein at the end he proclaimed to the audience "you've probably heard this one before" to screams and accordingly he played Tonight's the Night again...there is about 15 other examples, probably more, of him just following his eccentric muse, changing directions on a whim...great show, great band, great artist...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 12:58 PM

It was loud enough.

Posted by Neil Young | November 28, 2012 1:07 PM

11:37 This was a NY & CH show, not a regular NY show. There is a difference. He's been playing pretty much the same setlist for months. Do a little homework if you were expecting a hits show. We thought it was awesome(except for the encore). Halfway through the show I realized I have to go to another show on this tour, either Brooklyn or Conn but get GA/Floor tix next time. That's where the party is. Lots of boring people complaining about the setlist where we were sitting. Older crowd on a weeknight is not a good combination. If you like the hard rockin' side of Neil and The Horse, these shows are a can't miss.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 1:08 PM

amen 1:08. the floor is where it's at. get there early and you can be mere feet away from the man. one bit of advice though...make sure you know where that damn huge mic is gonna be! i thought i got a great spot, 3rd row just to the left, and then they put up that mic and from my sightline it was right in front of neil's mic.

Posted by taint | November 28, 2012 1:21 PM

If you are reading these comments and give any value to an idiot who says MSG, or any arena, is/was a perfect concert venue then you should buy this scenic property in Afghanistan I have.

That goes for the other idiots talking about Phish and how great they are.

Fucking know nothing dunces. This blog has really really gone down in the discerning quality of people reading it.

Arenas/Stadiums are the worst venues for concerts but unfortunately you got to suck it up sometimes. The sound was never good at MSG unless you are down front. It was like that before and it is like that now.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 1:22 PM

what a great show I wish I could remember it!

Posted by George in NJ | November 28, 2012 1:25 PM

anon 12:55 A lot of us were there mainly to hear the new songs, especially Ramada Inn & Walk Like A Giant, instant classics!. I doubt I would have even gone if it was a greatest hits tour.(Which he would never do with Crazy Horse) I'm not one to live in the past. Neil and the boys were at the top of their game. What a show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 1:35 PM

13 songs? That is some crazy horseshit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 1:36 PM

11:56: Why? There were lotsa scarves there?

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 1:47 PM

I'm Crazy

Posted by Horse | November 28, 2012 1:56 PM

1:22 sounds like he has an awesome life and many friends!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:09 PM

1:22 - nice excerpt from your upcoming novel "I Am NOT A Hipster - I Know Everything."

Hope that book gets published soon, so you can stop living off of Mom and Dad's monthly checks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:14 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:14 PM

"This blog has really really gone down in the discerning quality of people reading it."

LOL. This guy, wow. What a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:14 PM

hip hop haircut

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:31 PM

One the greatest concert experiences of my life and I've seen hundreds and hundreds of shows. Crazy that folks would complain about last night. Where I was, straight back 100 level the sound was crystal clear and damn loud as well I thought. When the Horse went into their huddle and launched into the feedback portion of Walk Like A Giant you knew it was a special night. Most of the folks around me seemed thoroughly blown away. I certainly was. Better even than the 1996 Horse shows - which I thought could never be topped. 13 songs seems like a little but not on this tour. The instrumentals were long and the show was a solid 2.5 hours. So psyched I get to see 'em again on Friday in DC/VA. If you're at all a fan and missed out get your ass to Barclay center for sure...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:47 PM

anom 1:22 "That goes for the other idiots talking about Phish and how great they are"
I can't stand Phish but for you to say that, well you are the idiot! To each their own. It would be boring and even harder to get tix if we all liked the same music. As for arenas, I've seen around 55 shows at MSG and as long as you have decent seats the sound is fine. Nothing like a great band on a big stage!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:55 PM

13 songs? That is some crazy horseshit.

It was 2 hours and 10 minutes. Killer show! Mr Young and The Horse at their very best!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 2:58 PM

There should have been one opening act, not two. Then maybe Neil would have played more of his older hits. That was the shortest encore ever! Not happy- and I still don't like Patti "Grunge" Smith.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:05 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:07 PM

"Fucking doubters..."

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:07 PM

"Ramada Inn" and "Born in In Ontario" are instant classics - as good as anything he's written.

>And yes, the new MSG sucks. They have made it like every other arena in the country. You used to be able to walk (and sneak to better seats)around, visit friends, get different views without having to go leave the seating area. Those days are gone.

You nailed it. F Dolan. He killed the Garden.

Posted by Pedro Sampedro | November 28, 2012 3:10 PM

Animal Collective is rock and roll royalty. Neil Young sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:10 PM

Jennifer Aniston's nipples attended the show and loved it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:10 PM

>The in-arena walkway is truly missed (loved easily visiting friends in different sections during halftime at games)

So true. One of the great things about MSG events is gone. Now its the Byrne Arena.

Posted by Cracker Von Mozart | November 28, 2012 3:13 PM

has he ever played a 7-minute Powderfinger before? I've heard a few Powderfingers in my time but never one with so many guitar solos. amazing. hope somebody got a clean recording.

Neil did the greatest hits at United Palace 5 years ago, in December 2007, without the Horse, and it was about 10% as great as last night was.

when did they redo MSG? and how is it different from the old MSG?

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:28 PM

In the book "Neil Young's Powderfinger Statistics" it clearly states that he has never played it for longer than 6:45 before. I guess you witnessed THE coolest Powderfinger in history.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:48 PM

Finally a band that sounded good in MSG... Neil, band and sound people nailed it... A quality show... Empty seats, who cares... The horse rocked, truly the power and the glory... This is one of the premier rocks bands for the ages, nobody gets near them in riffs,scuzz and melodic beauty... Animal collective, for get it... Sigur Ros rock harder than those over hyped whimps...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:49 PM

3:07... Right on! Neil ripped 'em a new one....

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:52 PM

ha leave it to BV comments to be all over the place. NY & CH played for a little over 2 hours and I enjoyed the new and old songs and didn't need or expect a greatest hits show. Although I'll argue C Girl and Powderfinger are greatest hits. I will note that NY & CH are nowhere as great as earlier tours (I've been seeing Neil since the 70's). I agree they should mix this tour up playing the same setlist is a bit boring.

In regards to the new MSG. Yes hard to visit other palces of the arena although you can just meet up the hallways which is what I did. I loved the fact they split up the general adm. area. I got there just before Patti went on and was able to walk right up front(3rd or 4th row).

Patti sounded great also and the fact that you can see Patti and Neil at the same venue on the same nite is amazing certainly something that could never happen in the 70's.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:54 PM

Empty seats? Cool.... I just scored me a seat for the Brooklyn show... I'm glad there's empty seats... I'll be there when Neil straps on 'old blacky... The MSG show was a power keg...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:55 PM

3:07 yeah keep listening to your 3 minute pop songs. talk about boring

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:56 PM

The Garden was an iconic spot. You had the floor, loge level (red seats), 100 section (orange seats), 200 level (yellow seats), 300 level (Green seats), and 400 level (blue seats). The colors alone made it unique and you could go down from the 300 level seats to all the way on the floor.

Now what they did was to create two bowls. One is the 100 level which combined the old loge,100 level and 200 level seats into one section.

You also have the 200 section which is a level combining the old 300 level and 400 level seat. My seat last night was in row 9 of the 200 level and it was nose bleed hell. Snuck down to the 100 level to watch Neil's set. They have one crappy color for all of the seats. The poster above made the same point I was thinking which was that it now looks like the Meadowlands arena. Better off knocking down the entire arena and start all over again.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 3:59 PM

3:59 wins for most boring post ever on the internet.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 4:08 PM

MacDonald's was my spot. Used to jack people right at the drive thru. You can get your MacNuggets and get the fuck out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 4:10 PM

How did 3:59 make it home in time to catch Murder, She Wrote reruns after climbing down from the nose bleed seats?

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 4:14 PM

"Neil was great. MSG was about half full."

Half full?!? I was there last night. It was definitely not half-full. The place was FULL.

The floor may have looked half-full but there is always plenty of space in the back of GA floors at these arena shows. Otherwise it'd be a major fire hazard. I'm almost certain all the floor tickets were sold.

The place looked sold out to me actually. Not that it matters.

I knew what I was getting myself into re: the setlist. I checked the others. I agree with some other posters though-- with his vast catalog of songs, it's a shame he can't vary his set a bit from night to night. The only thing he changes up is the (one-song) encore.

Posted by M | November 28, 2012 4:16 PM

3:59 speaks wisdom.

Posted by Alduous Huxtable | November 28, 2012 5:09 PM

can't really comment on the new MSG layout but got to give MSG props for having some local beer on tap. I saw Six Point and Bronx Brewery on tap. Brooklyn was being sold too, perhaps in bottle only.

I couldn't find any good beer at Barclay's during Dylan show. Did I miss it?

btw NY & CH were amazing though obviously not for everyone. the couple in front of me left during the third song.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 5:23 PM

Good to hear about the beer. Love Six Point.

Posted by Adolphus Coors | November 28, 2012 5:32 PM

3:59 was a worthwhile post, you idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 5:54 PM

Neil was great. best show ever! people complaining not really fans. best playlist i've ever heard him do.

Posted by ch | November 28, 2012 5:59 PM

"Two and a half hour show in which more than half of that was the one-note feedback in a new song that went on FOR-EV-ER? No thanks." "Walk Like A Giant" was (I usually never use this over used term)EPIC!What show were you at? And in this day and age why pay big $ and go to a show that you are not sure what you are getting into? He's played pretty much the same (awesome)setlist for months. Do 5 minutes of research! And yes 3:59 is 100% correct about MSG. 4:08 is an idiot. The show was sold out. I didn't see any empty seats. Animal Collective show = goofball sausagefest!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 6:14 PM

Well I hope Neil Young will remember--a southern man don't need him down and out..............Hmmm.......Patti Smith.....some marginally good tunes-"Frederick", "Redondo Beach", did a good version of "Rock & Roll Star". Gilda Radner used to do an impersonation of her (Candy Slice) that was hilarious. I don't care what anybody says and I'd argue it with anybody British-New York City invented punk rock just as rock & roll was born out of Hell's Kitchen. Nuff said......

Posted by union white widow | November 28, 2012 7:47 PM

1:22-Nailed it.

This was the best show someone ever saw? The sound was crystal clear?

Ah GTFO with that stupid shit. Who the hell comments on this blog these days?

Shows at big places like this are not ideal. You go because you can't see the band anywhere else.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:48 PM

Unlike the last MSG shows he played where he went on til like 1:30, it looks like he got a strict 11PM curfew. The band seemed a little dismayed playing "Roll Another Number" as their one and only encore. Have a feeling there was at least a couple of more coming as I saw the univerb for "Like A Hurricane" come down as I was walking out. Tremendous show nonetheless. Unbelievable how the likes of Young and Townshend seem to rock harder today than most of the young hungry bands out there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2012 10:53 PM

Neil has a sticker on his guitar that says "THIS MACHINE KILLS HIPSTERS".

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 9:32 AM

This was my third time seeing Neil Young and first time seeing him with Crazy Horse. I knew what I was getting into: massive guitar solos, crazy horse album tunes, extended jams. It was awesome. My only complaint was the encore. I wish he picked a different song to close the show out. Like A Hurricane, Cortez The Killer, Cowgirl In The Sand or Down By The River would have crumbled the building in excitement. Anyways, I'm glad I finally caught the horse live. Who knows when they will tour again. They are all almost 70! Yikes!

#KeepOnRockingInTheFreeWorld

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 9:35 AM

9:35

That encore was screaming for Like A Hurricane. Neil and company just ripped off the following songs in a row: Cinnamon Girl, Fuckin' Up, Mr. Soul and Hey Hey My My. What an awesome run of epic tunes!!! He should have capped it off with Like A Hurricane or Cortez The Killer. Oh well. That is Uncle Neil for ya. Never assume anything.

BTW...Powerfinger was off the charts good!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 9:41 AM

He came dancing across the water.........

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 9:43 AM

LOOK OUT, Mama!, there's a white boat comin' up the river!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 9:49 AM

Let's see a guy like Conor Oberst put a show on like this when he is 67.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 9:51 AM

Neil's guitars go to eleven!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 10:08 AM

These Animal Collective comments are outrageous. Let's see if anyone gives a shit about them in 5-10 years. Neil "Fucking" Young has been around for over 40 years. He sells out concerts...wait for it....wait for it....EVERYWHERE. Animal Collective are a bunch of nerds with a laptop and eclectic record collection.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 10:10 AM

is he being trolled if that's how we really feel, though?

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 10:53 AM

i believe it is possible to exist in a world with both neil young and animal collective. i know...crazy.

Posted by taint | November 29, 2012 11:27 AM

^ who are you, calling yourself 'taint'? fuck off.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 11:43 AM

That Patti Smith setlist is epically awful

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 12:17 PM

Neil killed it once again. Bravo Uncle Neil. And yes...he should have ended the show with LIKE A HURRICANE. #Roar

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 2:06 PM

Thank you Mr Young thank you Very Much , Sydney will embrace you Sir

Posted by Ian Myers | November 29, 2012 2:14 PM

Neil Young has always been a waste of oxygen. Piss on Neil Fuck Young.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 2:20 PM

10:53pm

Unfortunately he's been playing one-song encores pretty much the entire tour. the sets have been practically identical save for the (one-song) encore. So the shows have all been pretty much the same length too.

Posted by M | November 29, 2012 3:28 PM

I really enjoyed Patti Smith - I have been a Neil Young fan for a long time and was very bored also.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 3:30 PM

Patti was better than expected, Neil ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2012 3:57 PM

Two star rating has to do with the venue, although artists do have the responsibility of how their work is presented. MSG sold tickets without the sightline obstructed/partial view alert. Dolan revenue enhancement or no sightline check by Neil's crew? Side speakers blocked view. Only saw feet and an occasional hand. The fans on the side could not see the screens because they were placed too far forward! For $125, the cheap seat fans deserve better! The reverb echo on the left side was horrendous! The MSG arena is not state of the art, and needs a serious tech update if it wants to continue as a premiere NYC venue. Fans on the side were pissed. Artists and MSG, send your people up top and to the sides for sight and sound checks.

Patti and Neil were great, although I did wonder if tickets were given free to tri-state area seniors! I am one of them, but I do stand and move and dance throughout the concert! So all you other oldsters need to get up and MOVE!!! and stop telling me to sit down!!!

Posted by lynne | November 29, 2012 5:59 PM

For what these tickets cost that setlist should have been both better and longer.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2012 9:05 AM

yeah, and neil should have given you a reach around too.

Posted by taint | November 30, 2012 3:49 PM

What time did Neil start and finish?

Posted by Drew | December 3, 2012 10:32 AM

to all the old people who went to a grunge concert and bitched and moaned the whole time, yelling at people to sit down, even getting security to remove dancers, FUCK YOU. DIE ALREADY. The whole arena except GA was sitting down, FUCK YOU NEW YORK, get a clue

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2012 2:24 PM

Best show I saw Neil play since Ragged Glory, fucking perfect. And yes, all the people sitting down SHAME ON YOU. I almost punched an old man in the head, but instead kept my cool and moved to the wheelchair section where it was cool to stand. How fucking ironic. Thank You Neil, Fuck you old people

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2012 2:27 PM

Will never go to Madison Square Garden ever again, Never again!

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2012 2:29 PM

this tour's great - but it is sort of unforgivable that cortez is not getting any play. one of the most powerful live rock songs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 2:16 PM

young neezy & cray-cray hoss

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 11:02 PM

The Atlantic City show blew the doors off the MSG show. Plus he did Rockin In The Free World and Like A Hurricane instead of Fuckin Up and Roll Another Number.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2012 2:37 AM

This is the worst concert I have ever seen. Standing in front of an amp, turning a nob and making noise for 15 minutes is not music, it's NOISE.
It's too bad someone who use to be a great guitarist can no longer play music, keep time, or play to his audience.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2012 11:45 PM

that was an Australian Aboriginal flag on the t-shirt he was wearing.

Posted by Andrew | March 28, 2013 2:41 AM

I like the shirt.

Posted by tom | July 3, 2013 8:33 AM

neil young is a legend enough said.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 4, 2013 3:38 PM