Posted in NYC | pictures on November 4, 2012

photos by Paul Lurrie

Photos of Belle Harbor post-Hurricane Sandy by Paul Lurrie

As discussed here, constantly on TV, in the papers and elsewhere, Hurricane Sandy decimated the Rockaways last week and the people there can still use your help, though it's great to hear stuff like this:

Volunteers showed up in droves today and the residents of Rockaway cannot thank you enough. We have had such positive feedback from the community, calling you "angels" and "superheroes." These folks are eternally grateful, as are we! For anyone who volunteered today, please feel free to share your experience with the group. THANK YOU!
Head to the Rockaway Relief Facebook page or NYCService.org to find out how you can help.

On Friday (11/2), Belle Harbor resident and photographer Paul Lurrie took some photos of the devastation around his neighborhood and in the neighboring and also mourning Neponsit, Queens (The Rockaways consist of Arverne, Bayswater, Belle Harbor, Breezy Point, Far Rockaway, Hammels, Neponsit, Rockaway Beach, Rockaway Park, Roxbury, and Seaside). View more below...

Photos of Belle Harbor post-Hurricane Sandy by Paul Lurrie

Thank you BK Vegan for focusing on what is really important this week. Rockaway is my hometown, and I feel that it was neglected by the media at the beginning of the week. We finally have been getting the help we need this weekend, and we are all truly grateful.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2012 9:42 PM

New Jersey deserves 99.5% of the attention.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2012 11:31 PM

That is so hateful. You should be ashamed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2012 12:20 AM

It would be great if we should help each other to make things more better. Long live East Coast!

Posted by Alexys Moore | November 5, 2012 5:22 AM

These photos show the real disasters made by this hurricane and what is the situation there.

Posted by used office furniture Clearwater | November 5, 2012 7:17 AM

Hilarious!

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2012 8:28 AM

Trying to reach Paul Lurrie. Thanks.

Posted by Briana | November 6, 2012 12:39 PM

During my childhood, my grandparents owned the house at: 178 Beach 134th Street (Belle Harbor). It is 1/2 way up the 'beach' block. If anyone knows how it 'fared' during the storm - or would take a photo and email it to me at that address (mombam@aol.com) I would be MOST grateful. Or if the current owners would be so kind as to email me - that would be even better.
Whoever owns it now has taken very good care of it. I stopped to see it (from the outside) a few years ago and took some photos.
That home was a place of so many memories of my growing-up years.
All of you out there are in my thoughts.
Regards, Leslie Fox (Central NJ)

Posted by Leslie Fox | November 8, 2012 4:27 PM

like my cousin, leslie fox , i too spent many wonderful days and summers in Belle Harbour at that house playing stoop ball with my dad and hide and seek in that creepy basement and closet under the stairs with my brother michael. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in this terrible disaster. Please let us know if the house still stands. G-d bless you all. steve hager (Fla - where we know about hurricane's and the devastation they cause - 6 in 2 years !)

Posted by steven hager | November 8, 2012 8:50 PM

My family owned the house at 165 Beach 143rd Street in Neponsit from 1946 until 1981. I spent all my childhood summers there. If anyone has any information and/or pictures of that house, or that block, could you kindly mail them to me. Thank you so much. I now live in San Francisco. Marc Zussman

Posted by Marc Zussman | November 9, 2012 1:35 AM

The situation is more desperate lived in neighborhoods of Staten Island (south), where Sandy left 22 dead, and Rockaways and Coney Island, in southern Brooklyn (southeast)

Posted by traveltoperu.org | November 9, 2012 11:58 AM

Hoping our home on 146th street survived. I can't ever remember a storm so devestating. Hurricane Donna was a doozy.
And, Marc Zussman, warm hellos to you and Carol. Hoping your old home survived the storm. And how sad that the Harbor Light Pub burned down. Prayers to all in the Rockaways.

Posted by Robert Duckman | November 9, 2012 5:49 PM

Do you even dare to enter what used to exist, a place called Arverne? I just pulled out my flood photos from September 1960 when Donna caused the ocean and bay to meet on Beach 66th Street and Thursby. Houses, cars, and more- all submerged. Nobody cared then, nobody cares now.

So far, nobody has attempted to enter Arverne to document if anything at all still stands.

Truth be known, as long as the pretty people in Manhattan were placated, all is well.

Posted by FL Sam | November 10, 2012 1:06 PM

During my late teen years, into my 20's, 30' and 40's, when I visited my family in Queeens or was living there, I would take off for a day when you could park, Mon -Friday, and enjoy the ocean at 138 or 140 st. in Belle Harbor, I have so many good memories, and photographs and always wondered what it would be like to be so fortunate to live next to the ocean? Seeing photos of Sandy's destruction and thinking "I know that house" and now so many are destroyed, is horrible. I can not even imagine what it will take to reconstruct those neighborhoods on the ocean. Also on CNN we saw the suffering in the Rockaways where people are not that fortunate to have another house of apartment or funds to go to a hotel. I hope that all the electricity and power is restored before it gets any colder or more people, and pets perish.
We keep praying from Colorado,

Posted by Maria C Berger | November 10, 2012 2:33 PM

Heartbreaking to see this once beautiful community of working class people crumble like this. I was one of the lucky people who live in Cape May County on a barrier island and we were sparred this horrific tragedy. Our community has been collecting donations, food, clothing, water, personal products and the like and 15 tractor trailers were coming to Hoboken today to deliver what we collected. People are genuinely good spirits and want to help. We need to keep this in the public's eye, otherwise people will forget all too quickly - we all need to help one another. God Bless everyone from to the North of my island - our hearts and prayers are with you all.

Posted by jerseyshorecarol | November 11, 2012 7:39 PM

Born and raised in Belle Harbor from 1936 until 1965 and lived through many a hurricane but never saw anything close to the destruction caused by this miserable recent storm. Belle Harbor was and once again will be a fantastic ocean front community with the common touch of any small town. I know that all those going through the turmoil today will once again see sunny skies tomorrow in Belle Harbor. Any body out there know how the old Kinzie house at 433 Beach 131 Street came out of the storm? Please e-mail me to let me know....GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY..

Posted by Jack Kinzie | November 11, 2012 8:56 PM

Trying to reach Mary Dadario.

Posted by Melanie Leone | November 12, 2012 11:20 AM

Jack, only house we lost on the block is 421 B 131 , everybody is ok.... all houses had flooding in basements and some houses also had it on the first floor...part of the broadwalk wound up on the block...

Posted by John Tipaldo | November 12, 2012 10:30 PM

My grandparent lived at 405 B 132 st. Eva and Harry barshay. Does anyone know if the house is ok? Loved the house and beach.

Posted by Shari | November 12, 2012 10:51 PM

Lived at 251 Beach 133rd St. from 1946 till
1963. I remember several times that there was water in the streets and canoes going by. Very exciting for a kid. Twice we had to bail out the basement. I assume the house is ok since we were on the 2nd block off the ocean but if anyone could let me know or send a picture it would be greatly appreciated. Best of Luck to you all.

Posted by Richard Klevins | November 16, 2012 1:01 PM

Jack Kinzie - I believe that 433 B. 131 may have burned down. Sorry. (My ex-friend lives there, and I understand they had to escape while it was flooding because of fire.)

Posted by Bonnie | November 18, 2012 7:58 PM

these people asked for it

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2012 9:28 PM

What a devastation for a wonderful community. We lived in Neponsit for 33 happy years at 144-07 Newport Ave. We'd like to hear from the young family that bought and improved the home in 2003 and we wish them and all the neighbors of the Rockaways blessings.

Posted by Debbie Fershtman | November 27, 2012 12:56 PM

These pictures are just heartbreaking. My sister< Judy, and I were raised in Belle Harbor at 155 B. 136th Street with "sand between our toes". Any news on how my house and block faired would be appreciated. The beach was my "best friend" for many years and I also grew up with the legacy of Hurricane Donna--believing Belle Harbor was invincible. As my father often said, "We never even got a drop of water in the basement". Any news would be appreciated.

Posted by Jocelyn Shaw | December 2, 2012 7:35 AM

We lost our house on 129th street on that horrible night of oct 29th... It was a nightmare....my daughter sister in law and me were saved by the wonderful heroes Kenny whelan a retired fire captain his neighbor Kevin also a firefighter and his two heroic sons...I will never forget there hopeful faces as we emersed in the flooded waters outside my door...they saved our lives and too them I will be forever thankful...I lost my two cats t tried my best to retrieve bear and Casey...but I guess it wasn't meant to be...I wish I would have left the house...my son husband and friends tod me to leave...but I thought we would get some water in basement..never thinking fire would envelop my house....I love belle harbor and miss my house and neighbors very much...the best place in the world to live...I lived in this house since 1984...I will be back....

Posted by Jo nelson | December 6, 2012 6:07 PM

My family used to own the big white house on 133rd and RBB. I would love to know if it survived if anyone has pics. I think it may be in the one with Santa above, but you can't see much. My heart has always been in Belle Harbor and I hope everyone recovers quickly. :)

Posted by Melanie | December 13, 2012 1:23 PM

Old irish people

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2012 1:45 PM

405 Beach 132nd is ok. Some damage but standing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2012 10:45 AM

Looking to hear from Micheal Bove, making sure he is ok.

Posted by tim daly | December 19, 2012 11:19 AM

like a grain of sand dropped to the desert, believe that looking for the bartender job, should be not too difficult. Yesterday someone asked me: http://vibramfivefingersuk.blog.co.uk/ if you are boss, would you hire him? I said, will,

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2013 9:21 PM

JUST is a destruction that these hurricanes are unfortunately many people suffer with these phenomena of nature

Posted by Acompanhantes Brasilia | April 5, 2013 1:58 PM

Really sad. It's crazy what one hurricane can do.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 7, 2013 7:09 PM

It was really very nice n easy information to read n understand, i think a few examples should be included to make it more effective.

Posted by general contractor Tracy CA | July 11, 2013 5:01 AM

House is fine.....had water damage like all others..but couple who bought the house from Gert take very good care of it.....fyi ...we use to live there also as gert's tennants.....

Posted by John Tipaldo | July 17, 2013 3:50 PM

Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time

Posted by commercial contractor san diego | July 22, 2013 6:37 AM

A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up

Posted by personalized gifts | December 30, 2013 10:59 AM

Thanks for your great sharing and I hope you will more famous day by day. My all the best for your legendary writing.

Posted by custom iphone 5c cases | January 2, 2014 9:41 AM

Very informative article so many interesting things i found here which increase my knowledge so much.

Posted by promovare site web | January 3, 2014 11:35 AM

Posted by promovare online site | February 9, 2014 2:40 PM

This is the very good idea! Just want to say thank you for information, Just continue to the write such a position. I will be your faithful reader. Thank you again.

Posted by ipad air case | March 28, 2014 4:44 AM

A very wonderful article. It touches a lot of urgent issues of our society. We can not be indifferent to these problems. This article gives good ideas and concepts. Keep it up

Posted by zazzle coupon code 2014 | April 2, 2014 5:51 AM

Thank you for presenting your points and providing this information. I have learned something about this topic

Posted by yellow pillows | April 3, 2014 4:55 AM

I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by udemy coupon | June 25, 2014 7:31 AM