Posted in NYC | music | pictures on November 2, 2012

photos by Kurt Christensen

From 10/30:

..."The scene is pretty bad. Lots of homes with terrible flooding and damage. As I walked down Wellwood I watched as people walked with just a few garbage bags full of possessions. National Guard helicopters flew overhead. There was some looting in the area last night, and the National Guard is here to prevent that from happening tonight...
BrooklynVegan photographer Kurt Christensen lives with his wife and kid in Lindenhurst, NY, one of the many areas hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. Currently displaced due to the storm, Kurt has been documenting the experience in text and pictures on his Flickr. We're all thinking about him, and some of those pictures are in this post. Check them out below...

Hurricane Sandy Aftermath in Lindenhurst, Long Island

"This is Barry Parkhill. He lives 2 blocks from the bay in Lindenhurst. I visited him to check up on him, after some friends we have online lost touch with him.The first thing I noticed when I walked up to the house was the stench. The whole block has a noticeable odor, but when you get to the door, that is when it hits you hard. Yet he stays there. It is his home after all. He has heard the stories of looting, and wants to protect what little was not destroyed by the flood waters.
His home was filled with 4 feet of water when it rolled in, destroying everything he owns. From the outside it doesn't look bad. The inside is a complete loss.
During the night the National Guard came so quickly down his street that it created a wake that threw his boat off of its blocks into his garage. The engine on his truck is dead. He's got his dog, and he is still alive, and we can all be grateful for that."

And Kurt reminds us:

If you are not in the immediate area, but would like to help, please consider donating to the Red Cross. To donate $10, Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate to Disaster Relief efforts. Or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).

what a pain in the arse. Best of luck to everyone in rebuilding.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2012 2:40 PM

Very disturbing images of my hometown. Brings tears to my eyes.

Posted by Joleen | November 2, 2012 5:37 PM

God bless you all for all you've gone through. My heart goes out to you all. Take it one day at a time.

Posted by Janet Fusco | November 2, 2012 6:44 PM

God Bless Everyone in my hometown! We are going to get through this!

Posted by Laurie | November 2, 2012 7:40 PM

Omg so terrible my hometown:(

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2012 8:12 PM

God bless all lindenhiurst will get through this

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2012 8:12 PM

It breaks my heart to see these pictures. We will rebuild our beautiful town and help each other to get through this

Posted by Irina | November 2, 2012 8:54 PM

Is there any collection site for donations? a bunch of us are collecting donations out here in East Hampton, ny that are headed for Long beach and breezy point.... but we can also send some up that way as well.... any concatc info???

Posted by Alyson | November 2, 2012 11:27 PM

I moved from Lindy in '83 but the place is still a very big part of who I am today, damn near thirty years later.

I know the town will rebuild: that's what tough, honest folks do. But still, seeing Lindenhurst like this flat out breaks my heart.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 12:37 AM

.....my family all lived on Ocean Street..the house i grew up in was still there according to maps....my uncles house was torn down for room for parking lot to chateu. My aunts old house completely remodeled...and that little piece of land on the corner my other aunt owned...we lived thru snow storms...floods....sailboating (on the streets....literally) to the deli on shore rd. The 1970's was owned by my family members. Praying for everyone....

Posted by Phyllis Patterson | November 3, 2012 2:48 AM

Brian I hope you are safe.
I know our nanas house was probably flooded.

I can not believe lindenhurst was on CNN news before sandy hit the n.j. Coast.

Posted by Sharon cook | November 3, 2012 3:25 AM

My former home town. I lived there for 60 yrs. and my parents before me going back to 1920's. I moved to Fl. 6 yrs. ago. These Pictures are very hard to look at. This is we're my wife and I grew up met, got married, bought 2 homes, buried our parents, it's very sad. A lot of memories. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the people of my home town, Lindenhurst.

Posted by Frank pearsall | November 3, 2012 8:52 AM

I hope all my friends back home in Lindenhurst are ok. I'm sure my old house is washed out, there were storms back home where neighbors were in row boats going down So. 4th st. but we still had our lights on, amazing. I'm thinking of all of you Trina my dear friend, Sandy and the kids, I pray all's well for u guys. It brings tears to my eyes to see good old Lindenhurst such a mess! I love u all & I'll be praying, it's sickening. It's the power of the ocean she's scary at times & so tranquil other times.

Posted by Michele Birney | November 3, 2012 10:50 AM

I am so heart broken to see my Island damaged. It may be in a bad way right not but we are not called Strong Island for nuthin'. My prayers are with you all and my donation is in the pot.

Posted by Rose Cappetta Doherty | November 3, 2012 11:52 AM

Do you have any pictures of Lido Pkwy? That's where my sister's house is. I'd like to know if it was hit by the storm, I live in VA.

Posted by Anne Kelly | November 3, 2012 12:35 PM

My hometown also hope everyone was safe. Thank god you're ok mom stay strong everyone

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 3:01 PM

To frank pearsall who posted above, werenyou related to George pearsall?

Posted by Barbara | November 3, 2012 3:58 PM

I grew up here, my heart is broken, everyone stay safe, stay strong,warm wishes and love. Susan

Posted by Susan LeMaresquier Weiner | November 3, 2012 9:26 PM

Thank you all for the comments.

Yesterday, the outpouring of support in the community was amazing. There was a food and clothing drive at the Fire Department which was so big that they couldn't take any more clothing. People drove in from other parts of the island and set up BBQ grills to cook for people and hand out food.

Yesterday, all the local drives were overwhelmed with donations. If you want to contribute, the Red Cross may be the best bet.

Anne, I don't have any pictures on Lido pkwy, but I do know that there was extensive flooding in that entire area. Houses around there had 4 feet of water on the ground floor. I have friends all over that neighborhood.

Posted by Kurt Christensen | November 4, 2012 6:29 AM

My heart and prayers goes out to all the people in New York New Jersey .But I use to live in New York and I know New Yorker and New Jersey people are strong and that they will even be stronger after all this is over .I'm grateful that all my relatives and friend are alive and healthy.I wish I was back in New York to help in some way in person. Love Kathy

Posted by Kathy Brady | November 4, 2012 7:57 PM

It's really hard looking at all the devastation,Lindenhurst was my home town and have many friends that still live there and are currently trying they're best to clean up what they still have. My parents are buried in Lindenhurst,so I come out often to visit with them and my friends...the pictures are very disturbing to look at with all the memories a lot of special people shared there.My prayers go out to everyone there.

Posted by Christine(Lane)Truncale | November 4, 2012 8:27 PM

I just hope Tom Jabbour at 151 N Broadway lost EVERYTHING. He's a violent, felon.

Posted by HolderOfOrderOfProtection | November 5, 2012 1:16 AM

Hi Kurt, Thank you so much for the updates of Wellwood Avenue. My name is Ruth and along with a partner we ran the Surfside 3 Cocktail Lounge and Restaurant from 1979 to 1987. When Hurricane Gloria flooded our business, I decided to leave and move West. My son Brian was a good friend of Barry Parkhill and of course we knew him too, so when I came upon the picture of poor Barry sitting on his front steps, I was absolutely shocked. If you know or see Barry, would you please send him Ruth and Al's condolences on losing his home and/or it's contents. We were just in contact with another old friend of Barrys' today, Chris P. He'll know who he is. Thanks to you & love to Barry.

Posted by Ruth Darnowski | November 5, 2012 8:18 PM

hi Kurt
We are on Verona and we lost our first floor. As much as we all our hurting, it is amazing to see the community all pull together. What a great town we live in. Bulldog strong.May blessings to you and your family.

Posted by dawn l | November 5, 2012 9:05 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, our neighbors. We are in Babylon. Will get food, clothes and baby supplies to you as soon as I feel better.

Posted by Maria Maxwell | November 6, 2012 12:54 PM

I grew up in Lindenhurst-left for college when I was 18. Graduated Lindenhurst High in 1964. Live in upstate- is there one place inaddition to red cross that could use help that anyone could recommend. Clothes drive - how to best help is my question. I am so sorry.

Posted by john chupka | November 6, 2012 3:50 PM

Anyone know my friend Peggy, she has two dogs named Princess and Gigi. I have not heard from her and I am concerned. Her friend in Texas.

Posted by Gloria Pennington | November 6, 2012 5:11 PM

It's sad to see the place I grew up in, in such shambles... My heart is broken. I pray for those who had to live this and I pray for their hearts to mend.. x0x0x0

Posted by Teresa | November 6, 2012 8:01 PM

It really is heart breaking to see all the devastation I knew you would get hit being right on the water but I never imagined this. I remember past hurricanes from the 70's and 80's when my dad's boat ended up on dry land. My dad Tom Nelligan God rest his soul was mailman and bartender of that area for many of those years. I used to meet him for lunch at the deli across from Lamplight on shore Dr. and I attended many Christmas parties at Surf side 3 where he tended bar My prayers are with you all

Posted by Joni (Nelligan) Hopkins | November 8, 2012 10:18 AM

Can anyone tell me if shore rd residents are ok in lindenhurst cant contact my brother

Posted by Robert | November 10, 2012 6:10 AM

These pictures are so sad to look at. I know a lot of these houses very well. My parents lost everything on their first floor but thankfully they were safe and evacuated early. They were off of Shore Rd. The comment from Robert...a lot of people do not have the ability to have power yet and require electricians before the power is able to be turned back on. Most people evacuated and are now displaced.

Posted by marissa | November 14, 2012 1:38 AM

An elderly retired and disabled homeowner who is very close to the south shore, whos 60 year old home that was once a beachfront cottage with no flood insurance, was destroyed by flood waters, $31,900 given by FEMA as the maximum allowed by federal law, thats no where near enough to even help assist the cost of repair damages caused by Sandy, especially for homes that are very close to the south shore that were once beachfront cottages, refitted for year round occupancy that do not have flood insurance because it is prohibitively expensive and because these houses are not "up to current code" for flood reasons.
Instead, FEMA should be offering to "Buyout" some of these homes that are very close to the south shore.

Posted by EliteData | November 14, 2012 11:35 PM

Bulldog strong!! My hometown,very hard to watch.we are strong, we will pull through.God bless

Posted by marianne carrano | November 15, 2012 8:48 AM

Marianne you seem like a nice woman. How about dinner tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2012 9:11 AM

I am looking for a friend who lives 751 South 7th street, lindenhurst, ny. His name is John Ryan

If possible have him call Ed Ludde at 845-676-4533.

Thank you and God bless.

Ed Ludde

Posted by Ed Ludde | November 17, 2012 1:56 AM

Prayers to you all from another Lindenhurst native (who now lives in CA) and lived on Shore Road growing up . I hope youre all OK...many memories of hurricanes and the big pain in the a-- they are. Jet skis on Shore Rd and boats in the front yard....hang in there. These pictures are heartbreaking. God Bless you all!

Posted by Carol Kammerer Michaud | November 20, 2012 8:02 PM

My grandfather owned Recknagel's (before Chateau LeMer) and I grew up right at the end of Wellwood Ave on Great South bay. In all my years growing up, we never saw a hurrican do this much damage as Sandy has.
My prayers to all of you and may God look out for everyone's safety.

Posted by Janet Corley | November 26, 2012 1:02 AM

Tom Jabbour of 151 N Broadway, Lindenhurst is a stalker and a violent felon with a long rap sheet and a history of extreme violence toward women and men. He is on probation for felony DUI and still drives drunk.

Posted by Victim | January 31, 2013 12:55 AM

Buy from ebay, the worlds largest and most trusted auction site. Pay with paypal and eliminate any security issues with your credit card.

Posted by Michal | February 24, 2013 10:09 AM

I am so sorry for my "home town" and everyone that lives there now. I graduated in '64 from Lindy & it will always be home.

Posted by Jack | April 29, 2013 12:37 AM