Posted in metal | music on November 16, 2012

Youth of Today at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2012 (more by Keith Marlowe)
Youth of Today

Ray Cappo, 46, one of [Revelation Records'] founders, took his place on the stage as the singer for the band Youth of Today, and shouted at the mosh pit, "It's been 20 years but the message is still the same: Tear down the waaaalllll."

...Raghunath left rock in a search for a personal true north... He found comfort in studying ancient yogi texts, meditation, chanting and long stints at an ashram in India. "My passion is how to apply ancient philosophy in the modern world," he said. "I teach a fun class so people come. A strong acrobatic class is the best way to get New York type-A personalities on the mat, and then the class is peppered with song and chanting and philosophy and ancient sacred texts."

The classes, playfully dubbed Flight School, developed name recognition among yogis -- especially fellow teachers -- and they can credit or blame Raghunath's influence with the grade inflation on the mat these days, where open-level classes integrate a crow pose, or what children call frog, transitioning into handstands.... [NY Times]

The New York Times piece details "heavy metal rocker" Raghunath's (aka Ray Cappo's) journey upstate and his career as an "anti-gravity" yoga instructor. Check out his site for more information on attending a class, in person or online.

Check out more pictures from Youth of Today's appearance at Fun Fun Fun Fest HERE and HERE. The band will play the Chicago edition of Revelation 25 in early January. They played the NYC one, which the NY Times refers to in the article, in October at Irving Plaza.

i would think he would say "break down the walls" since that was the name of their biggest album/song ....i am not a big YOT fan but it seems the writers knowledge doesn't go beyond what is written in the NY times ....

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:44 AM

doesbnt BK vegan post about hardcore like, all the time? why is this listed under metal? are you getting bots to make posts now? lift your fucking game, bkv.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:49 AM

"$500 deposit is needed immediately to hold your spot. THIS IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
The entire trip if paid by December 1st is $2700. After that $2900."

LOL CAPPO! F. U. fucking exploitative fuck. lol. i'd rather go on a wine tasting tour of italy with good ol ray!

ps i heard cappo used to give john joseph blowjobs in the cbgb bathroom back in 87. ask around if you dont believe.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:55 AM

Does the NY Times writer go to his classes. What a PR and puff piece form the Times.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:55 AM

bottom line - Ray's life is better than yours. Stop hating and start achieving.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:58 AM

Would you like to buy a pencil?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:09 AM

I know, I hate type-B personalities too

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:09 AM

ahahhahahahhaha....haaaa!

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:20 AM

aka "snake oil salesman"

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:29 AM

throw your taint in the air, and wave it like you just don't care.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:43 AM

sounds like ray needs cash.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:49 AM

it sounds like ray has reached a healthy, productive lifestyle and he wants to let people know.....oh wait, he's asking for money again. Seriously, does he think he's the Gene Simmons of hardcore?! The guy keeps trying to draw water from the same well for the past 25 years.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 11:02 AM

I liked him better when he in basic tumbling classes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 11:25 AM

his class kind of stinks.

- another straightedge yoga teacher

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 11:55 AM

this dude needs money BADLY.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 3:02 PM

doesn't look like he needs money more than anyone else. he's just better at making it, and by doing something he actually enjoys. he has a life outside of music, good for him.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 3:27 PM

yoga teacher's are the coolest.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 5, 2013 4:38 PM

One thing that always bugged the shit out of me about Krishnacore was Vic and Ray's cult guru. A creepy fuck named "Dhanurdhara". Supposedly, a former amateur boxer. He was at one time a teacher in a Krishna cult school, a place where horrors abounded. He did stuff like break a little kid's ribs. I'm not making this up. If you don't know the back-story, or don't believe me, you'll find the following quote on Vic Dicara dot com: "I met my guru, Sripad Dhanurdhara Swami, who initiated me into the maha-mantra in 1992..." Or copy-paste the search terms "raghunath" and "dhanurdhara" into Youtube. Erik Davis' 1995 article from SPIN magazine about Krishnacore also mentions Dhanurdhara, and some of the cast of characters orbiting the mosh 4 Krishna scene. If memory serves, Norman Brannon also had some connection to Dhanurdhara. Quite possibly, he was Norm's "guru" as well. I'm a little fuzzy on those details...at the moment. And Google isn't really cooperating. All I get is a Scanner Zine interview, where Norm (post-Krishna) says: "I mean, I would still count the guru that initiated me into the movement as one of the most important people in my life."

In the mid-to-late-ish-90s, I remember coming across a fairly-extensive, and genuinely disturbing, website by people who had grown up in, and been abused in, Hare Krishna cult schools. Telling their stories. Really sad stuff. I have a hard time imagining how I would have turned out, had I gone through what they went through. Really heart-stomping and soul-crushing shit. One name that kept coming up repeatedly as one of the abusers was "DDS". It took me a while to make the connection that DDS was Dhanurdhara Swami.

Anyway, below is a link to a webpage from the Krishna cult. There's some HK gobbledygook to wade through, but if you just scroll about half-way down the page, you'll find a 12-item list of some of what this Dhanurdhara guy did to kids. Throwing kids into marble walls, and kicking them after they hit the ground. Sometimes beating kids until they passed out. Etc. Dude def gives off a psychopathic vibe. Seemingly unrepentant to this day. Apart from a few insincere-sounding and face-saving apologies. All for show. So culty that even the main Krishna cult kicked him out. He now lives on the fringes of the Krishna cult scene, financially supported by disciples, giving talks with Cappo at yoga studios and similar venues. Just blows my mind.

I remember, also some time in the 90s, coming across a tape of a talk that Dhanurdhara gave, where he name-drops Mikey Prema, and talks about Krishnacore. Also, sorta look like Richard Gere in some pics.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2014 7:36 AM