Posted in metal | music on November 16, 2012

Youth of Today at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2012 (more by Keith Marlowe)
Youth of Today

Ray Cappo, 46, one of [Revelation Records'] founders, took his place on the stage as the singer for the band Youth of Today, and shouted at the mosh pit, "It's been 20 years but the message is still the same: Tear down the waaaalllll."

...Raghunath left rock in a search for a personal true north... He found comfort in studying ancient yogi texts, meditation, chanting and long stints at an ashram in India. "My passion is how to apply ancient philosophy in the modern world," he said. "I teach a fun class so people come. A strong acrobatic class is the best way to get New York type-A personalities on the mat, and then the class is peppered with song and chanting and philosophy and ancient sacred texts."

The classes, playfully dubbed Flight School, developed name recognition among yogis -- especially fellow teachers -- and they can credit or blame Raghunath's influence with the grade inflation on the mat these days, where open-level classes integrate a crow pose, or what children call frog, transitioning into handstands.... [NY Times]

The New York Times piece details "heavy metal rocker" Raghunath's (aka Ray Cappo's) journey upstate and his career as an "anti-gravity" yoga instructor. Check out his site for more information on attending a class, in person or online.

Check out more pictures from Youth of Today's appearance at Fun Fun Fun Fest HERE and HERE. The band will play the Chicago edition of Revelation 25 in early January. They played the NYC one, which the NY Times refers to in the article, in October at Irving Plaza.

i would think he would say "break down the walls" since that was the name of their biggest album/song ....i am not a big YOT fan but it seems the writers knowledge doesn't go beyond what is written in the NY times ....

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:44 AM

doesbnt BK vegan post about hardcore like, all the time? why is this listed under metal? are you getting bots to make posts now? lift your fucking game, bkv.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:49 AM

"$500 deposit is needed immediately to hold your spot. THIS IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
The entire trip if paid by December 1st is $2700. After that $2900."

LOL CAPPO! F. U. fucking exploitative fuck. lol. i'd rather go on a wine tasting tour of italy with good ol ray!

ps i heard cappo used to give john joseph blowjobs in the cbgb bathroom back in 87. ask around if you dont believe.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:55 AM

Does the NY Times writer go to his classes. What a PR and puff piece form the Times.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:55 AM

bottom line - Ray's life is better than yours. Stop hating and start achieving.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 9:58 AM

Would you like to buy a pencil?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:09 AM

I know, I hate type-B personalities too

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:09 AM

ahahhahahahhaha....haaaa!

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:20 AM

aka "snake oil salesman"

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:29 AM

throw your taint in the air, and wave it like you just don't care.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:43 AM

sounds like ray needs cash.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 10:49 AM

it sounds like ray has reached a healthy, productive lifestyle and he wants to let people know.....oh wait, he's asking for money again. Seriously, does he think he's the Gene Simmons of hardcore?! The guy keeps trying to draw water from the same well for the past 25 years.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 11:02 AM

I liked him better when he in basic tumbling classes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 11:25 AM

his class kind of stinks.

- another straightedge yoga teacher

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 11:55 AM

this dude needs money BADLY.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 3:02 PM

doesn't look like he needs money more than anyone else. he's just better at making it, and by doing something he actually enjoys. he has a life outside of music, good for him.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2012 3:27 PM

yoga teacher's are the coolest.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 5, 2013 4:38 PM

One thing that always bugged the shit out of me about Krishnacore was Vic and Ray's cult guru. A creepy fuck named "Dhanurdhara". Supposedly, a former amateur boxer. He was at one time a teacher in a Krishna cult school, a place where horrors abounded. He did stuff like break a little kid's ribs. I'm not making this up. If you don't know the back-story, or don't believe me, you'll find the following quote on Vic Dicara dot com: "I met my guru, Sripad Dhanurdhara Swami, who initiated me into the maha-mantra in 1992..." Or copy-paste the search terms "raghunath" and "dhanurdhara" into Youtube. Erik Davis' 1995 article from SPIN magazine about Krishnacore also mentions Dhanurdhara, and some of the cast of characters orbiting the mosh 4 Krishna scene. If memory serves, Norman Brannon also had some connection to Dhanurdhara. Quite possibly, he was Norm's "guru" as well. I'm a little fuzzy on those details...at the moment. And Google isn't really cooperating. All I get is a Scanner Zine interview, where Norm (post-Krishna) says: "I mean, I would still count the guru that initiated me into the movement as one of the most important people in my life."

In the mid-to-late-ish-90s, I remember coming across a fairly-extensive, and genuinely disturbing, website by people who had grown up in, and been abused in, Hare Krishna cult schools. Telling their stories. Really sad stuff. I have a hard time imagining how I would have turned out, had I gone through what they went through. Really heart-stomping and soul-crushing shit. One name that kept coming up repeatedly as one of the abusers was "DDS". It took me a while to make the connection that DDS was Dhanurdhara Swami.

Anyway, below is a link to a webpage from the Krishna cult. There's some HK gobbledygook to wade through, but if you just scroll about half-way down the page, you'll find a 12-item list of some of what this Dhanurdhara guy did to kids. Throwing kids into marble walls, and kicking them after they hit the ground. Sometimes beating kids until they passed out. Etc. Dude def gives off a psychopathic vibe. Seemingly unrepentant to this day. Apart from a few insincere-sounding and face-saving apologies. All for show. So culty that even the main Krishna cult kicked him out. He now lives on the fringes of the Krishna cult scene, financially supported by disciples, giving talks with Cappo at yoga studios and similar venues. Just blows my mind.

I remember, also some time in the 90s, coming across a tape of a talk that Dhanurdhara gave, where he name-drops Mikey Prema, and talks about Krishnacore. Also, sorta look like Richard Gere in some pics.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2014 7:36 AM

there is also the suicide of ananda mcclure. former student of dhanurdhara’s. gunshot to the head. thanks, dhanurdhara

words taken from a krsna cult website:

“It can be a bit difficult to discuss Dhanurdhara objectively with his disciples, since they are trained up to view him as perfect and to develop a strong emotional attachment – but we shall do our best. (...)

“Actually, we really believe that Dhanurdhara’s disciples should also separate from him because we believe their attraction to him is actually unhealthy. It is somewhat well-known that Dhanurdhara’s following comes primarily from the Krishnacore music scene, which is a sub-genre of hardcore punk music. This genre of music is known for passion and volume, slam dancing, mosh pits, and generally rebelling against society. It is a truism that people attracted to this scene have actually experienced a lot of repression or abuse, and the music and dancing is a way of expressing their anger at what has been done to them. Just look at some of the names of the Krishnacore bands, their albums, and their songs. There are names such as:

“Opposition, Request Denied, Slave, Killer of the Soul, Threefold Misery, Break the Flow, Cause for Alarm, Beneath the Wheel, Shattered, Deceived, Enemy, Force-fed Reality, Lord of Wrath, and best of all, Screaming for Change.

“So if we may speak to Dhanurdhara’s disciples in their own language, the gurukulis see Dhanurdhara as a ‘Killer of the Soul’ and a ‘Lord of Wrath’ who ‘Shattered’ and ‘Deceived’ and ground his students ‘Beneath the Wheel,’ and we are now ‘Screaming for Change.’ In truth, we believe that Dhanurdhara’s disciples and the abused gurukulis actually have something in common and have been through similar experiences.

“Actually, we believe that the attraction to Dhanurdhara is probably based on abusive relationships from the past; and maintaining relationships with persons who are abusive or who cause pain is called ‘masochism.’ That is why we said the relationship with Dhanurdhara is unhealthy. In effect, it is really maintaining a relationship with the very thing that is being rebelled against. So this is something for Dhanurdhara’s disciples to think about, and to see if what we have written here resonates with their own personal truths.”

Posted by dhanurdhara sux | November 28, 2014 8:40 AM

years ago, vic dicara (of the band 108) wrote an article titled "i was a teenage hare krishna". not too long ago, i found it re-posted online. "rv swami" is dhanurdhara. vic dicara and raghunath cappo still support "rv swami" as their guru. snippets from the essay:

"See, Hare Krishna's usually send their kids off to boarding schools where truly disgusting degrees of sexual, physical, and emotional torture was inflicted on them. All manner of rapes – including young girls being gang raped on a schedule, and young boys being anal raped at such young ages that they sometimes required stitches, and outright physical violence – resulting in scores of broken noses and bones; and the headquarters of it all: the school in the holy village outside of New Delhi.

"Who was the Principal of that school? RV Swami – my guru.

"Out of all the wackos in the Hare Krishna Movement, I thought RV Swami was one person who really had it together and represented the true spirit of Krishna consciousness. Now I was not so sure. (...)

"The final straw came when the airplanes smashed into the twin towers. My guru sent out letters telling a disciple of his who lived near the disaster that he need not make any conventional effort to assist the disaster relief, and should instead try to preach to people about Hare Krishna."

Posted by dhanurdhara sux | November 30, 2014 8:42 AM

Madhusudani Radha's article "The Dhanurdhara Swami Case" used to be available on Chakra.org. But no longer. Here's an excerpt:

----------------------------------

"One former student describes them as follows: 'Dhanurdhara would call them up in front of the kids during the assembly... Position the kid in front of him so that they would both be facing the other children. Pull him by the ears, twist the ears and then smack him with both open hands on the ears and cheeks... And he wouldn't only smack once or twice. You never knew how much it would be. It seemed to me, that the more and longer he could talk about it, the more he would smack while talking. During the whole scene, everybody had to stare straight ahead and see what was happening to this boy. And the boy had to just stand there with his hands folded, just like all the others. And if he dared to put his hands up to the side of his head to protect himself, DDS would scream 'put your hands down!' And smack him even more...

"Needless to say, the kid would be crying, and after some smacking would be shuffled towards the other kids and told 'go stand back in line!' The only feelings I can remember from such times is extreme fear, and my heart was pounding. I remember feeling pressure and heat rise to my head where I would feel like my eyes would pop out. Sweat would sometimes break out. I would fight back tears. There was an extreme feeling of vulnerability... Nowhere to turn for help, no way to defend yourself. Being all alone in this environment with no end in sight. I would push back memories of these events as soon as the assembly was over. It was the only thing I could do. Anything to take my mind off it... I had my favorite spot towards the middle of the line which was along the right wall, close to where the gong was suspended. I didn't want to be up front, because that would make you the first target in case someone like [ ] got out of control. I can still feel what it was like to have or to witness this..."

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2014 9:31 AM

religion is shit

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2014 2:25 PM

need mor hottie noodie yoga

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2014 5:52 PM