Posted in NYC | hiphop | music | tour dates on November 2, 2012

Rockaways home post-Sandy (via @box_of_rox)
Rockaways

Standing in front of his sister's severely damaged property on 137th and Cronston, 44-year-old Thomas Callahan, whose home and business had both been flooded out, was asked when he expected power to return. "It could be up to thirty days and we have no gas for generators," he said. A creeping cold was settling in as he estimated that "eighty percent" of his neighbors had not evacuated, as the majority of them had heeded official warnings and left before hurricane Irene hit last year, an event which wound up causing the peninsula little damage. "That gave them a false sense of security, so they stayed. Even the older folks," Callahan added, puffing on a cigarette.

But this time, he said, the water came up so high, "kids were kayaking through the neighborhood." The damage that water wrought was all around: knocked down trees, piles of rubble, and bombed out yards.

Further west, on Rockaway Beach Blvd, a dozen people were huddled near a closed gas station waiting for a bus in the pitch darkness. None of them had flashlights. They had been waiting for forty minutes, said one, Kevin Smith, who had spent three and a half hours getting into Manhattan that morning so he could find a place to work with power. Asked about the restoration of heat, water and electric, Smith-who like many on the peninsula, lives in a large apartment complex and has no running water-said, "I think that's something we're all very concerned about, and a lot of the residents around here just weren't prepared, no flashlights candles or nothing." - [Animal]

Between the destruction by winds and water, and the horrific fire at Breezy Point, The Rockaways were possibly the hardest hit area in the Five Boroughs by Hurricane Sandy. If you've seen photos or video (not this one) from the area or lived it like NY1's Bob Hardt, you know the devastation is jaw-dropping. The whale is gone, the boardwalk is gone, the skate park is gone, disabled senior citizens from nursing homes remain in makeshift shelters all around the city... the list goes on. A few more pictures from the wreckage are below. If you'd like to help there's a Rockaway Relief group on Facebook that culling relief efforts.

Meanwhile, Coney Island, Staten Island, Long Island, Red Hook, DUMBO, The South Street Seaport, New Jersey, and many, many other areas can use some help too. No matter where you are, you can probably find a way to help.

Make sure to catch the telethon on NBC tonight too.

Vast Aire
Vast Aire

Here's a musical way you can help. Vast Aire of hip hop duo Cannibal Ox will be playing a Brooklyn show this Saturday (11/3) at Knitting Factory with The Kominas, Rebelmatic, Orginal Text, Sav Killz, and Propaganda Anonymous. At the show, Concept Mindspray will be collecting donations to send to the Rockways. "Please help with whatever you can. Most needed are clothes, water, canned food, batteries, flashlights etc..." Tickets for Saturday's show are on sale now. It appears to be the only announced Vast Aire date at the moment.

Show flier is below, along with some Instagrams from post-Sandy Rockaways.

(via @noahzl)
Rockaways

Breezy Point (via @danifinks)
Rockaways

(via @herringtrott)
Rockaways

(via @danielavila_nyc)
Rockaways

Vast Aire

Word

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 12:19 AM

At least u can buy gas on Craigslist

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 12:49 AM

The photos and video that are coming out just break my heart. NYC has always been my heartbeat. The Jersey shore has thousands of precious memories. I'm going to the Red Cross to donate blood Saturday and am looking for more way s to help from here.

Posted by Wendy | November 3, 2012 2:40 AM

I feel so sorry for this persons:( Hurricane Sandy, one of the biggest storms ever to hit the United States, lashed the densely populated East Coast on Monday, shutting down transportation, forcing evacuations in flood-prone areas and interrupting the presidential campaign.

Posted by Sarah | November 3, 2012 3:06 AM

The top photo shows a really nice expensive house. On the ocean front. It's nicer than my cruddy apartment. I will never afford a house that pricey unless i win the lottery. I'm supposed to help this person?

I realize there is some real pain out there and will donate time and money, I just hope it goes to the less privileged. It probably wont.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 6:34 AM

Prayers go out to everyone affected by Sandy ....

Posted by Janette | November 3, 2012 6:40 AM

Devastating. Thoughts are with you guys here in the UK.

Posted by harridec | November 3, 2012 7:53 AM

6:34 has a point...I'd take that fucked up house on the beach to my pristine, dump of a pad in a neighborhood where English is a third language anyday!

Posted by Dios Mio! | November 3, 2012 8:31 AM

that person could be dead. that person could have bought that house for 25,000 in 1977 on a nurses and cops pay.not evryone who lives in a beach front house is rich. i live in a basement apt on on a beach block. I have the complete gary fuck shandling show as my only thing left. i got my wife and kids out 2 days. i work 2 jobs t60n hours a week to still be poor. perfect time to judge. im just like you see at the next show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 9:58 AM

i grew up with tons of people from that area and it is really awful. trying to do whatever i can to help.

no bitching...this is a real shame.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 10:24 AM

Hope all of you guys doin' well there after Sandy.

Posted by Taruhan Bola | November 3, 2012 11:13 AM

I was in the path of the storm, fortunately my area wasn't hit too hard. Having been through 5 hurricanes I know how these people are feeling. Trying to do everything I can to help. God bless!

Posted by David | November 3, 2012 12:55 PM

so so sad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 1:28 PM

243 doesn't get 634's point : why should he help people who are wealthier than him?

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 2:53 PM

I am from Rockaway, and it has always been a majority working class neighborhood. Many Cops, Fireman, and union workers. Most of the families have lived in those homes for multiple generations, and are not rich at all...Also some of the greatest poverty in all of NYC is in Far Rockaway.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2012 6:31 PM

This photos are amasing.Just brake my heart!

Posted by Charlie | November 4, 2012 4:33 AM

thats is really impressive i am really shocked and i happy to be in france now :s

Posted by wildsons | November 4, 2012 5:25 AM

The gov. apathy and delayed responses are worse than NO after Katrina. That is a fact.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2012 9:02 AM

they let it get wrecked so that they can get the residents out of there to build luxurious condo-lofts for hipsters all these areas will be re-zoned... FEMA clears the way for real estate developers

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2012 9:12 AM

The photos are so heart breaking. My prayers goes to those who are affected with the storm Sandy.

Posted by Wilson Demarcus | November 4, 2012 10:46 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2012 1:48 PM

Items can be repurchased, the most important thing in my opinion is the safety and well being of everyone.

Posted by kfaust07 | November 4, 2012 4:42 PM

Vast aire

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2012 8:27 AM

"After all the years of imbecillic New Yorkers making jokes about Southerners who endure this shit on a routine basis, I've kind of enjoyed watching this."

Gee, a southerner being a smuck? Who would have thought it. Go back to shooting little animals in your trailer, jackass.

Posted by James | November 6, 2012 4:30 AM

Pictures really do speak 1000 words. I really had no idea. This will bring out the best or the worst in folks. I imagine there will be more best than worst. God bless all of you. I am so so sorry.

Posted by dpuanoni | November 10, 2012 11:17 PM

Rockaways are beautiful. So sad to see such devastation in such a group of people who put their lives on the line for others on a daily basis. Those who complain that the homes are nice...!!! These folks WORK very hard for everything they have. Now they have lost and they are still more concerned for OTHERS.

Posted by anon | November 16, 2012 12:00 AM

So sad! The photos are so heart breaking. I hope that now is everything fine for all of them!

Posted by Grigore | April 13, 2013 2:24 PM

I love the dark clouds in one of the pictures.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 7, 2013 7:13 PM