Posted in music on December 6, 2012

by Eddie Argos

Art Brut @ MHOW, June 2011 (more by Amanda Hatfield)
Art Brut

Anyone who has listened to Art Brut knows that frontman Eddie Argos isn't just a musician, he's also a fan. A fan of comics, movies, television, milkshakes...and music. Eddie and the rest of the band laid low for most of 2012, after a busy 2011 with their most recent album, 'Brilliant! Tragic!' and subsequent touring. But we wanted to know what Eddie was listening to and his list is definitely NOT full of the usual suspects. Says Eddie:

I've been trying to think if I liked 10 albums this year. I think I did. Which is rare for me. However I can't be bothered to fact check and I have a shocking memory so some of my choices may be from the end of last year. So in no paticular order and written in real time with no forethought here is my hopefully top ten albums of the year...

1. No Love Lost by The Nightingales.
Although I've said no paticular order if pushed I would say this is my favourite album of the year. I love all their albums but this is definitely their best. I've spent everyday since it was released listening to it at least once. It depresses me how few people know about this band. Robert Llyod needs to be recognised as one Britain's greatest ever poets and the band celebrated the world over.I wont be satisified till The Nightingales get invited to play the Rock and Roll hall of fame and storm it in a big drunken dangerous spectacular mess or fall on their faces in the attempt.

2. Wildlife by The Lovely Eggs.
Helen Love (who had she found the time to release an album this year would definitely be in my top ten list) described The Lovely Eggs as 'fearless genius the best band in the world right now' can#t get higher praise than that. Go and buy their album (and some Helen Love while you are at it)

3. The Plot Against Common Sense by Future Of The Left.
Righteous anger deliverd with razor sharp wit and it rocks the fuck out.Perfect.

4. Tempest by Bob Dylan.
Bob Dylan is one of those artists who just keeps getting better. Each album better than the last. This is his 35th Studio album.He is at his peak. Hooray.

5. On The Hot Dog Streets by Go Kart Mozart.
I love everything that Lawrence from Felt/Denim/Go Kart Mozart has ever done. Perhpas a bit too much as I already owned most of this as the unreleased Denim album 'Denim Take Over'. which I bought from ebay for a lot of money. Still thats my fault really and bitterness aside this is a great album.

6. Celebration Rock by Japandroids
7.Hypnotic Nights by Jeff The Brotherhood.
I am aware that a few of my choices are a little esoteric.However Im totally amazed that these albums aren't in all the other end of year lists. They are fucking brilliant. Ive been rocking out and getting drunk to them all year.

8. Average Kinda Savage by Thee Orphans
Hand on heart I think this is one of the best fucking Glam records ever made. A bit odd that it came out in 2012 and not the early seventies but still all the better for it.

9. and 10.
Im cheating a bit now to fill up the quota but a band called The North Sea Scrolls comprised of Luke Haines formerly of The Auters and Cathal Coughlan from Fatima Masions have just released a double concept album that details an alterante occult version of the history of the British Isles which I haven't heard yet but Im dairly sure Im going to love and also the band The Indelicates have started releasing their new album ' Diseases Of England' in three parts and I loved the first part. So know I at least like one third of the album.

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 3:36 PM

Nice to see the Future of the Left album on one of these lists, anyways

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 3:46 PM

"Each album better than the last. This is his 35th Studio album. He is at his peak."

Cannot believe this ridiculous statement.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 3:52 PM

wow...remember when these guys were good?

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 3:52 PM

Nope. They were never good.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 3:58 PM

toptenvegan.com

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 4:00 PM

Japandroids are on every blog and magazine's list I've seen so far. Maybe not top 10 but Top 50 for sure.

Posted by Jim Testa | December 6, 2012 4:10 PM

"wow...remember when these guys were good?"

Posted by we formed a band! meta! | December 6, 2012 4:15 PM

ART BRUT TOP OF THE POPS!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 4:22 PM

4:15 no one took them seriously but they put ona fun show. Don't make it be something more then it was!

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 4:27 PM

They were fun...for one album. The definition of one trick pony.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 4:41 PM

Fuck all the whiners, art Brut is fun. You're not. M

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 9:40 PM

art brut is one of the worst bands i've ever heard. seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 11:02 PM

art brut were once great, brooklyn vegan commenters? not so much.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 11:49 PM

ARTPGUSDAFT HUMASUSU TIME MORE DIVERSITY FROM ATRK TARK

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 7:31 AM

hummus

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 7:32 AM

11:02 thanks Nickleback and Creed fan your input is appreciated

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 7:46 AM

People like to give Art Brut a hard time but their live show is one of the best I've ever seen (and I've been going to gigs since 1975). They remind me more of bands like 'Half Man Half Biscuit' and 'I Ludicrous' than any of the hipster crap they get lumped in with. They might not have the biggest fanbase but the one they have is solid; each of their shows has an atmopshere of camaraderie and comradeship that would be spoilt by cynical, douchebag trendies who aren't emotionally intelligent enough to get them. I'm sure the band are also glad that these people don't like them; people who go to forums like this to write anonymous bile about bands they don't appreciate aren't the sort of people I'd want as fans of my band.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 12:42 PM

"I think what you mean is, "Remember when a very small subset of an already limited group of people actually took this band seriously?""

I love Art Brut, and I never took them seriously. I don't understand the connection between the two things.

Posted by Erik Pan | December 7, 2012 12:45 PM

art brut were and still are great. Funny, relatable stories to a good tune, plus a great live performance. what's wrong with that?

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 12:45 PM

Also, i don't see what you're implying by 'limited subset' - so a band has to be popular in order to be good?

Posted by Erik Pan | December 7, 2012 12:47 PM

Wait. He didn't even listen to the last two albums on the list? Did he not listen to 10 whole albums all year? And still makes a top ten list? The fuck?

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2012 1:34 PM

They were better with the old guitarist, first album was a killer

Posted by Jammy Dodger | December 7, 2012 2:30 PM

The Japandroids are great. And so are Art Brut. I hear they're doing a live album next year. I hope it has a DVD, because those live shows are amazing.

Posted by Uncle Axl | December 7, 2012 2:39 PM

Quite remarkable choices. I would put also the Nightingales, Go-Kart Mozart, and the Lovely Eggs respective releases in my personal top ten. Not only does the feeble celebration from the public depress me, but the critics too. While they receive mostly positive reviews, I've seen none included in any best of the year highlight lists. I know these things don't matter too much, but really they do. No Love Lost is the most compelling thing I've heard in ages. It's one of the best releases of this century, never mind 2012. Eddie Argos, I hereby doff my proverbial cap and I shall slap it heartily around the portentous and pretentious little faces of all the schmucks in the Quietus coterie.

Posted by Nathan Richardson | December 21, 2012 4:24 PM

Buy from ebay, the worlds largest and most trusted auction site. Pay with paypal and eliminate any security issues with your credit card.

Posted by Michal | February 24, 2013 10:10 AM