Posted in hiphop | music on December 27, 2012

Sirius

Hard to believe, but our BrooklynVegan "Blog Radio" show has been airing weekly on satellite radio for over 6.5 years. It started on Sirius which then merged with XM and became SiriusXM. The station, which was originally "Left of Center" on Sirius, is now called SiriusXMU (on SiriusXM). You can currently hear the two hour show on the "indie/college" station every Wednesday at noon EST and again at midnight that night (which is technically Thursday morning in Eastern Standard Time).

At some point years ago I brought on like-minded music lover Dominic (Nick) Masi to be my co-host, and to cover when I couldn't make it. Now, though I still may pop in occasionally (my New Year's resolution!), Nick has taken over completely, hosting the show week to week with a selection of music you'll find on BrooklynVegan.com and on his own iPod. Recently Nick also started hosting a show called "Cover Me" (all cover songs) on Bruce Springsteen's E Street Radio, and other programs on the network too.

In his spare time, Nick now tour manages members of Odd Future - a job which was an offshoot of his huge passion for hip hop (and traveling around the continent in a van).

What were Nick's favorite records and songs in 2012? We asked him and he gave us a list of his top 10 albums and "top 15 hip hop songs of the year that don't feature 2Chainz, Kanye, Drake, Rick Ross or (fill in the blank with your favorite rapper you've seen on every remix this year)."

You can check out both of Nick's lists, along with videos or streams for each song on his hip hop list (Odd Future songs included), below...

Nick Masi's Top 10 Albums of 2012
10. Purity Ring - Shrines
9. Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan
8. Crazy Spirit - Crazy Spirit
7. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Dont Bend! Ascend!
6. Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
5. The Men - Open Your Heart
4. Grizzly Bear - Shields
3.Tame Impala - Lonerism
2. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city
1. Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

Nick Masi's Top 15 Hip Hop Songs of the Year "that don't feature 2Chainz, Kanye, Drake, Rick Ross or (fill in the blank with your favorite rapper you've seen on every remix this year)"

15. Children Of The Night - "ILYAS"

14. Nas - "Daughters"

13. Danny Brown - "Grown Up"

12. Trinidad James - "All Gold Everything"

11. Carnage ft. Katie Got Banz - "KAT!E"

10. Lil' Mouse - "Get Smoked"

9. Sasha GoHard - "I Think I Like That"

8. A$AP Rocky - "Goldie"

7. Odd Future - "Oldie"

6. Lil' B - "I'm Fabio"

5. Kendrick Lamar ft. Jay Rock - "Money Trees"

(live at Best Buy in Union Square)

4. Lil Reese ft. Chief Keef - "Traffic"

3. Earl Sweatshirt - "Chum"

2. Schoolboy Q - "There He Go"

1. Chief Keef - "I Don't Like"

this post was way too long with way too many links

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 2:20 PM

I don't even care what my Top 10 of anything is!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 7:33 PM

DON'T DIE???!?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 7:38 PM

My Best of 2012:

- Guided By Voices - Let's Go Eat The Factory
- Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
- Lee Ranaldo - Between The Times And The Tides
- Moe Tucker - I Feel So Far Away
- Karen Dalton - 1966
- Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It
- Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver...
- The Cleaners From Venus - Vol.1
- Joe Crow Ryan - This Machine Kills Purists III
- The Telethons/Kung Fu Crimewave - Split 7 inch record
- Damien Jurado - Maraqopa
- Sonic Youth - Smart Bar Chicago 1985
- Giant Crab - A Giant Crab Comes Forth

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 11:22 PM

What on earth do you like about your #1 rap song of all time? This shit reminds me of Wesley Willis without the greatness.

Posted by jake | December 28, 2012 4:13 AM

Lil Mouse the new spokesman for the NRA!

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 5:05 PM

I knew none of these, but I'm glad I spent a little time with these tracks, as opposed to seeing another goddamn list full of mediocrities like Grizzly Bear or The XX or whathaveyou.

Lil B is pretty fuckin awesome. He's so fucked up, I bet he'd tell Frank Ocean to suck his dick!

Chief Keef gets points for general negativity, headbanging and not snitching. This years Onyx?

I still hate Frank Ocean with or without Odd Future, it took me 1:49 before I skipped to Sasha GoHard, who I think I wanna fuck. That little geto ho can get at least $75 on the open market, and I think I'd even pay $100 and risk getting razored! Makes Yo-Yo seem downright matronly...and Queen Latifah like a grand-ma-ma.

Still, nothing like Kid Ink's "Tats on My Face"...the nihilist hip hop anthem of this young decade.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 5:24 PM

Buy from ebay, the worlds largest and most trusted auction site. Pay with paypal and eliminate any security issues with your credit card.

Posted by Michal | February 24, 2013 2:12 PM

hey guys, I'm really going out on a limb here, but I would venture to say that Eugene might have been joking around just a little bit. I could be wrong though.

Posted by download charles | April 5, 2013 2:50 PM