Posted in metal | music on December 27, 2012

Eugene Robinson of Oxbow, September 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Eugene Robinson

Unlike most of the year-end lists we've seen, which are of albums, songs, or memorable moments from live shows, Eugene Robinson, frontman of long-running noise rockers Oxbow, always caps his year off with something way weirder (and awesome). Last year it was his Top Revenge Themes for 2011 and this year he's listed his Top 10 Things in 2012 To Which I Will Say "Don't Get Me Started." The list is just as amazing as you'd hope, and you can read the entire thing below.

Eugene Robinson of Oxbow, The TOP 10 Things in 2012 To Which I Will Say "Don't Get Me Started"

10] the continued popularity of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

9] everyone who is sad that Megaupload got shut down even if the piece of shit owner was rocking mansions and yachts while I almost die in rusty vans every time I go deeper in to debt to play music in front of people who can't even find the records if they wanted to because ALL OF THE FUCKING RECORD STORES ARE OUT OF BUSINESS

8] Belle and Sebastian. I have tried to understand their appeal. In fact, I am STILL trying. But man...I don't know what I am missing and how I am missing it but this is like listening to toilet water. You know what that's like? Try it some time.

7] the manner and consistency in which I self-sabotage because of my inability to suck a little dick. Everyone says "you have to suck a little dick to get ahead you know?" and then they all go suck dick and not surprisingly they seem to get ahead. However getting ahead this way seems to just be a clear cut indicator that you're well on your way to getting ahead in the giving of head arena where suddenly your work means much less than your ability to suck dick. Many who suck this kind of dick will work long and hard to convince you that it's not this bad. Which I believe. However in the future when people ask you what you do and how you got so successful it seems you need to fess up to the fact that sucking dick is how you got there. This is not shameful and some of my best friends suck dick. I just wish there'd be more frankness in regards to the whole issue. I mean don't sell me the whole Horatio Alger claptrap if all you did was get your knees dirty.

6] farmer's markets

5] how good of creepy crawly soundscape my LAST OF THE DEAD HOT LOVERS record is. Which you will steal.

4] if God is Love and God does not exist does love have much of a chance? This seems like math but what if love does exist? And you discover what you love is apple pie?

3] The Cro_Mags' Harley Flanagan assault charge and the possibility of 15 years in jail [now dismissed] for an inter-scene kerfuffle.

2] how much I love BJJ/MMA/fighting/training: it's my life and it's my wife.

1] my realization that I am actually never coming back again. So letting wildness reign supreme.

Amazing homophobia! Awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 3:46 PM

Shouldn't his list be "1) Fights 2) Fighting 3) Dust-ups 4) Scrappin' 5) Gettin' in a row

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:02 PM

Where exactly do you detect the homophobia?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:08 PM

does anyone else think all these top 10 lists are boring?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:09 PM

I like the Chili Peppers

Posted by Ty | December 27, 2012 4:13 PM

eyeroll

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:17 PM

I don't like Belle and Sebastian though.

Posted by Ty | December 27, 2012 4:20 PM

Continued popularity of the chili peppers? If anything they're less popular. This dude needs to chill. Who the hell cares anyway?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:21 PM

4:09: Not as boring, so much as they are falsely self-important and falsely self-entitled. Just like the majority demographic of this site!

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:29 PM

I would have put farmer's markets at #2, but well done overall.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 4:59 PM

Never been to a farmers market. They bad or something?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 5:02 PM

Been inside a farmers daughter

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 5:15 PM

what about phish's top 10 list?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 5:17 PM

He speaks truth to power...but is anyone listening? :(

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 5:48 PM

Perhaps I misspoke. He may only be a misogynist, not a misogynist and a homophobe. Or was he using "sucking dick" in a way that doesn't denigrate the act and perpetuate the patriarchal view that deems it an act of degradation and subservience?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 5:51 PM

They chicklette who sings for Sled Bells has nice legz.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 6:20 PM

Belle & Sebastian is about the debauched lifestyles of trust fund babies. What's not to love?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 6:21 PM

well i'll never listen to or give money to this ignorant redneck

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 6:47 PM

@5:51 Chill out bro, this isn't Bryn Mayr

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 7:03 PM

Mawr*

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 7:04 PM

this guy realizes that weed exists right?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 7:23 PM

Lol he thinks people care enough to even download his music.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 7:44 PM

j'acuzzi boys do not care

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 8:25 PM

Who is this guy?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 9:30 PM

I would invite the person who is concerned about my supposed misogyny or homophobia to help me demonstrate to the world the high esteem in which I actually hold sucking cock for FREE. [It's for pay that denigrates the act.] There. I just explained the joke to you. Don't be mad.

Posted by Eugene Robinson | December 27, 2012 9:46 PM

yeah...who IS this guy anyway? making lists, threats, promises...I tell ya chuckles...he's the guy that makes the music of my HOME. The home in my black little heart. And..he's quite a dancer too.

Posted by Butcher Bob | December 27, 2012 10:30 PM

Best top ten list I have ever read. Is that sucking dick?

Posted by Record Genie | December 27, 2012 10:37 PM

No. No it is not.

Posted by Eugene Robinson | December 27, 2012 10:50 PM

You hold it in such high esteem that you have the inability to do it. If it was something you held in such esteem I don't think you would phrase it as such. But good attempt at backpedaling and explaining a non-existent joke. In no way is "sucking dick" presented as anything but an act of degradation. In this metaphor of yours what exactly is sucking dick for free? There is a difference between asking for forthrightness about an act which lowers oneself and not seeing the act itself as a lowering.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 11:07 PM

Also, the absurd hypocrisy of praising the self sustaining and self policing ideals of the hardcore scene and then dismissing farmer's markets which promote self sustaining, anti-corporate farming and business. Just because the latter isn't about tattoos? Most independent farms are a fuckload more punk than 99 percent of supposed punk bands.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 11:11 PM

hahahahahaha....you're going to sing the praises of FARMER'S MARKETS?!?!!? AND blow jobs? You're sure this kind of multitasking and arch huffiness is not too much for you? hahaha....your umbrage and mewling outrage make me sleepy. Next time Oxbow plays you're welcome to parade around the club with a sign extolling the social benefits of non-degrading paid fellatio. And farmer's markets. Which seems to have struck a little close to home for you. I hate the self-satisfied gleam of over-pampered self-congratulating fuckheads who can afford top dollar to those willing to attend to their needs to feel eternally and always special. You know somewhere there are real people living real lives whose concerns are not chopped and channeled into easily understood boxes for the likes of you of the brow knitted in fretful consternation. so no back pedaling here.... just amusement at your frothy rage....hahah....

Posted by Eugene Robinson | December 27, 2012 11:31 PM

Punks like hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 11:37 PM

I feel like the people reading homophobia or misogyny from that top 10 are coming to the party a tad late. I didn't once get that out of the article. Metaphor - a literary figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object.

Posted by Devin | December 27, 2012 11:37 PM

The ones who see homophobia or misogyny in the metaphor don't see themselves as capable of being objects of desire themselves
that's why they react as they do to this list
it's not a real threat to anybody, but they want it to be seen as a degrading threat, because that justifies their low self esteem as arising from the imagined adversity of having read this list
it's a copout, a refusal to deal with real issues that actually affect them
they don't have the time for the real world because they are special snowflake don quixotes

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 11:48 PM

"who is he?"

hahahaha. go back to your beach floss show, dufus.

eugene r. is older than your mom nad pops and has been involved in/done/written cool shit for pushing 30 years. although i do find the whole mma fighting thing to be really fucking dumb. like, really dumb.

oh yeah, he also has a nice swasitika. and is probably twice as smart as you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 27, 2012 11:54 PM

first---yes, a metaphor in which figurative sucking cock is compared to actually sucking cock negatively. that is what you just elucidated. everything except your first sentence state that.

second---that is the most off-base, absurd armchair psychoanalyzing i've read in some time, with the added bonus that it knows nothing of psychoanalysis. finding a metaphor to be degrading does not obviously spring from low self esteem or a desire to be a victim. though playing victim blaming does go hand in hand with this sort of attitude.

it isn't a real threat. of course not. who said it was? it isn't adversarial. it is pointing out the biases in how the language was used in the post. no one is saying they were threatened. your phantasmal projection of some supposed victim is far more offensive actually, though it reveals a lot more about you than the subject of which you write. gone is the metaphorical degradation and welcome in the made up portrait of the other who you clearly find threatening to your position.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 12:01 AM

this is where you prove my point:
you see the degradation in the act but when I say why you call it projection. That's what I was accusing you of doing. I don't see your viewpoint as a threat, I pity it. That's why I said you lack self esteem. If there is no threat then how is there a victim role to play? How come you are the only one allowed to point out biases in speech? Can't I point out a bias if I see one, or is that a threat to you as well?

Posted by 11:48 | December 28, 2012 12:32 AM

No, the act isn't degrading. The using a metaphor that places it as degrading is what is being discussed. The degradation is in the presentation of it as such. How hard is this to see? What you are saying I stated is pretty much the exact opposite. So please take your pity elsewhere as you are entirely misreading and misunderstanding the point. My self esteem is fine. Pointing out that an act which is not inherently degrading is being used as a metaphor for degradation, and thus becoming a term of degradation, and the act recast as that, is not born of self pity. It isn't playing victim. Your desire to cast me as such is pretty much the same thing. You can't see past the metaphor.

Fuck. Reading comprehension is dead.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 1:07 AM

FUCK YALL. REAL PUNKS SUCK DICK

Posted by HEDFUX | December 28, 2012 1:21 AM

Hey Eugene, its the fight fan from Pakistan, we met after your show at the Union Chapel last month. Just to let you know, as a lawyer, I watch ppl in my field suck dick to get as far as they can all the time. For judges, at symposiums, for politicians, for clients, to become partners and so forth. I find myself asking the same questions time and again, 'why not just a little?', 'A lot of my best friends do it' etc. You know what helps me not do it and plough ahead with not exactly the greatest success, but with a shard of dignity I feel I can hold on to? My heroes and idols I have tried to, if not necessarily be like, than definitely follow the exemplary integrity of guys like you, Aaron Turner, the dudes from Neurosis, Converge blah blah blah. I don't know if its any compensation for you fighting it out in a rusty van to know that ppl who have grown up with the art of your band and others take your insistent lack of compromise into their own walks of life. Also, I'm fairly certain Immortality > mansions, even though it doesn't always feel like it. Anyways, those were just my two cents, can't wait to see you do your thing at the Oto with XiuXiu.

Posted by Gul | December 28, 2012 1:41 AM

Maybe kissing ass would have been more appropriate?
Kissing ass at the Farmers market.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 2:04 AM

Please make the Internet, Facebook, Instagram, twitter, etc. go away for a week. Just to see what happens. Maybe it'll be a better world. All I see nowadays are adults and especially kids glued to some sort of iPad, iPhone, iPod device and incapable of any REAL communication or social interaction. Go back to real news reporting REAL things and not the latest Hollywood gossip or the day in day out reality TV lifestyles of pseudo celebrities. Go back to real musicians playing real music and end this flavor of the week instant pop formula of crappy lyrics, recycled beat and rhythm, corporate product placement soundtrack snippet iTunes ringtone remix dub step speaker oozing shit that makes me wish I had no ears. Go back to a simpler safer happier time. Just for a week, pull the plug on social media and cyber bullying and bullshit blogging platforms. Go back to face to face and end screen to screen, cell to cell, pic to pic. Go back to 100 channels, maybe even 50. Who needs 1000 or more? Try it out. Go back and try just for a week. Don't text. Call. Maybe even write. Don't post or blog or tweet or update or "like" or whatever you need to do to "interact" via Internet. Ride a bike. Read a book. Go outside. Go anywhere. Just for a week. There's too much insanity in the world/country/state/town/school/office/home. One week. See how you feel. No Red Bull or Big Mac or Axe body spray required. Just you and your mind free from noise and ten years ago fresh. Try it out. One week. I'm starting in the morning. Who's coming with me?

Zeppelin rules.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 2:52 AM

it's not metaphorical what people actually do to get ahead. It's not blaming the victim when they are the ones gaining unfair advantages. It's not presenting the act itself as degradation. It's the refusal to pretend that it's not how so many enjoy success they never earned that is the threat to you. That's not blaming the victim. It's refusing to be victimized by allowing somebody's biased politics to silence dissent. I understood perfectly clearly what you were trying to project onto me - you wanted to degrade me. Refusing to blind myself to Robinson's intent so that you could twist his words to win an argument.

Posted by 11:48 | December 28, 2012 5:00 AM

Zeppeling do rule I agree. Gonna go listen to when the levee breaks right now.

Posted by 11:48 over and over | December 28, 2012 5:21 AM

Is that all you can say?

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 7:05 AM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 7:34 AM

can you two puss*es go slap box somewhere else. What a bunch of a$$ clowns

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 7:41 AM

iPods

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 7:57 AM

that's the same thing oxbrow tells his publicist each night before he goes to beyond bread

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 8:02 AM

7:51, touche'. I stand corrected-there are way more than two.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 8:13 AM

thinks people care enough to even download his music.

Posted by Minsk | December 28, 2012 8:18 AM

What is up with sucking dick?

Posted by Jerry Seinfeld | December 28, 2012 8:30 AM

Fisher-Price My First Albini Rant.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 9:15 AM

8:13: I think 7:51 probably meant the two English/Philosophy queers arguing (actually, more like rambling) about what the former Atlanta Falcons safety meant by "sucking a little dick".

But yeah, seems there are others here too, though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 9:28 AM

phish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 9:44 AM

Oh good. Eugene Robinson from Oxbow made a top ten list. I've been waiting for his blessings as to what is cool. Thank you, BV for asking Eugene Robinsin from Oxbow to make this very informative list. 2012 wouldn't be right without Eugen Robinson's (from Oxbow) list.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 10:38 AM

i can has metaphor yes?

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 10:53 AM

Hey agro 'singer' dude whose life/wife is fighting:

j'acuzzi boys do not care

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 11:03 AM

hahahahaha....all of the anonymous huffing and puffing and chest beating and umbrage and outrage. Trembling knit-brow consternation over the finer shadings of fellatio and farmer's markets and the self-congratulating gently munching and grazing sensitive types that love them...you know somewhere there are real people leading real lives with real problems. But that's probably not here.

enjoy being you,
Eugene from Oxbow [hahahah....on my way to having my name legally changed to this]....

Posted by Eugene Robinson | December 28, 2012 12:20 PM

^dude, you could blows minds in the freshman dorm!

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 12:50 PM

hahahahahahaahah....Professor...

Posted by Eugene Robinson | December 28, 2012 1:08 PM

The people whining about the sucking dick thing in this thread are a complete joke. The definition of pseudo-intellectual trash. Way to come across like total prats and accomplish nothing by doing so.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 1:11 PM

love ya eugene... but dont beat me up. seriously. please dont. but just in case, i will stand in the back. <3

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 1:46 PM

Eugene, don't suck dick in '13!

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 2:30 PM

My market used to do well but now everyone just downloads shit for free

Posted by Farmer | December 28, 2012 2:41 PM

I love how this is all coming from a guy that has a book called "Fight: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Ass-Kicking but Were Afraid You'd Get Your Ass Kicked for Asking". I hardly have heard of Eugene Robinson, but from all this alone, he's already one funny fucker.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 3:23 PM

Metaphors are hard.

Posted by Butcher Bob | December 28, 2012 4:07 PM

only gay men perform felatio.
FACT.

Posted by son | December 28, 2012 7:06 PM

is this guy in tv on the radio

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 7:52 PM

or Eddie murphy? like jada pinkett smith has a rock band? is this the same sort of thing? murphy moonlighting as a "rocker"?

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 8:02 PM

no, you are, you fat house

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 8:07 PM

Reminds me of James' instruction to try be one on whom nothing is lost.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 8:31 PM

Oxbow are a lot like Fucked Up, just without King Tubby on vox and a lot better tunes rolling out. Oh, and they are not from Moosehead Beer HQ.

Posted by Anonymous | December 28, 2012 11:15 PM

i love oxbow and i love eugene

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2012 6:30 AM

11:15 is wrong....the singer of Fucked Up is King Hippo, not King Tubby.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2012 10:32 AM

I wanna suck YOUR dick.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2012 11:27 AM

I wish I could suck my own dick?

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2012 12:14 PM

Flea killed River-DEATH BY REFUSAL TO POP AND SLAP IN UNISON.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2012 4:47 PM

hey guys, I'm really going out on a limb here, but I would venture to say that Eugene might have been joking around just a little bit. I could be wrong though.

Posted by Anonymous | January 2, 2013 12:43 PM

Nice dude , Nobody fucking cares about your dumbass opinion. If you don't pay to go to this festival, none of us will be any worse for wear

Posted by download charles | April 5, 2013 2:49 PM