Posted in music | streams on December 18, 2012

Leonard Cohen

Several times during Leonard Cohen's epic and enveloping show at the Citi Wang Theatre Saturday night, the legendary singer-songwriter would sing one of his famous, devastatingly precise couplets and the audience would break into applause.

If the crowd had applauded every time Cohen's poetic eloquence was displayed, it would've meant a nonstop ovation for almost the entirety of the 3-hour-plus performance. That might've been distracting but it would've been understandable given how deep his gift for expression runs and how impeccably it was brought to life by the man and his superb band.

At 78, it would make sense, even be expected, that Cohen would move a little slower or play for less time. But the opposite was true. The spry Cohen -- cutting a natty figure in black suit and fedora as did most of his band -- literally skipped about the stage, went down on his knees frequently, and played more than two dozen songs, ambitiously covering the ground between his 1967 debut and this year's "Old Ideas." - [Boston Globe]

Canadian national treasure and all-around music legend Leonard Cohen is still going strong at 78, having released the widely-acclaimed Old Ideas this year that ended up on Best of 2012 lists from Rolling Stone, The AV Club, Q and more. If you haven't heard it yet, you can stream it below via Rdio.

Leonard's current tour, which hit Boston over the weekend (review above), wraps up here in NYC with two shows: Madison Square Garden tonight (12/18) and Barclays Center on Thursday (12/20). Tickets are still available for both shows.

Album stream is below.

I wonder if I can hit Craigslist and score a cheap ticket?

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 3:38 PM

^Easily you can and probably even cheaper outside tonight and on thursday

Love Leonard but just can't, even with a cheap ticket, force myself to ruin the experience by seeing him at these shit venues. Good for him for playing them but it is still a crime.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 3:57 PM

Who?

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:07 PM

3:57 doesn't really "love" LC but is trying to be a major snob. Succeeds. He's playing, if you're a fan, you go, if not you go "T5 sucks" or "MSG sucks" and call it a day.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:11 PM

he's old, man, he needs the money. plus he sold out cooler smaller venues a few years ago, radio city, beacon, etc. so you should have seen him then instead of whining here. where do you expect fucking leonard cohen to play, bowery ballroom?

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:23 PM

I'm a 't5 sucks' 'msg sucks' type of person, but I'm seeing him at Barclays anyway. The timing or money has never been right for me to see him in the past, and I need to see him before he's dead. I've never before paid this much $$ for concert tickets but... oh well. This one time it's worth it to me.

Fellow BV comment people please where a t-shirt so I may easily recognize and avoid all of you? Or should I just look for the people that weigh more then 250lbs with poor hygiene?

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:33 PM

The ticket prices are dropping steadily on craigslist and other places. Outside the venue may be even easier.

He really should have played Beacon or Radio City again. Those shows were special.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:35 PM

The Beacon show was brilliant. Why do people bitch about the Garden? I've seen several concerts there and it always sounds pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:38 PM

His shows are always special -- at the Beacon, Radio City, MSG last time -- years ago at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall....

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:41 PM

He is special, not all of his shows are. The Beacon show was the cream of the crop. That was the one. Better than Radio CIty and of course miles better than MSG. Yes i saw all 3. MSG sucked frankly. The type of music he plays and his voice gets swallowed up and lost in that place. It really just ruins it.

I would also say 4:11 I disagree with what you said. A true fan, like myself, does not want to subject this beauty to a bad sounding venue and ruin the experience. Why go if I won't enjoy it. The fact that neither of these shows are even close to sold out would mean most of his fans agree with me.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:52 PM

Whatever the venue, if you haven't seen his show yet, it's worth going. Plus, he plays for about 3 hours, so at least you get a lot of show for your buck.
His band still sounds like they're stuck in the early 90's Tonight Show, but it's still a great show.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 4:54 PM

I made the comment at 4:52 and I agree completely with 4:54. If you have never ever seen him then of course go see the show.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 5:06 PM

4:52 - They aren't sold out because he barely sold out 1 show at MSG last time and now he's playing 2 huge arena shows. Two shows is pushing it, but The fact that both concerts are relatively full shows that most of his fans are willing to see him weather it's a preferable venue or not.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 6:39 PM

"The fact that both concerts are relatively full "

That is a false statement. Not true at all. They have been pimping out tickets for weeks now. Running ad after ad. tons of tickets available on the secondary sites from scalpers who over bought.

Sorry but your statement is just not true

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 7:08 PM

I hate to hear from negative people,Leonard should prosper on this because he is 78 years old and he has had problems with his previous manager, but do we really have to put a price on his head for his tickets? I spent $250 a ticket and there has been many an evening that I have wasted that amount of money for not even close to the same amount of enjoyment of seeing Leonard preform. Leonard at this age should be able to recoup the money lost and enjoy his retirement in luxury because he has given us hours and hours of entertainment. Sail on.....

Posted by Fearghal | December 18, 2012 7:19 PM

I would gladly spend that amount to see him in a good sounding venue worthy of his beauty. Seeing him in a bad sounding venue cheapens it and it not worth it even if the cause is noble.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 7:26 PM

Sound is great almost any venue if you get first 10 rows but if you guys too cheap then yeah arena shows suck

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2012 10:53 PM

7:08 - fact, the show tonight was full. And the secondary market wasn't flooded.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 12:12 AM

I agree with 1212 . I was at the concert tonight and it looked pretty full. It was great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 12:46 AM

looked sold out to me

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 1:22 AM

What time did he go on?

How long did he play for?

Excited for tomorrow!

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 8:08 AM

Great show last night despite the sound. Compared to Radio City last time, the sound was not good at all.

Not sure what show the above people were at but I saw lots of empties around me and in the upper decks. Show was not sold out as I saw people walking up to box office buying tickets.

There were lots of tickets available yesterday but I waited till outside the venue where there were many people, scalpers and otherwise, selling and got a good seat ticket for 40 dollars.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 9:17 AM

The show was great. It may not have been sold out but it was full. There were a bunch of empty seats down in the left 100's but those were I believe private suites.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 9:46 AM

ditto the above. He was great. I was in the 200's and it was packed. It looked like everyone stayed until the end.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 10:23 AM

Radio City >>>> Beacon Theater

unless you were maybe sitting in the back???

Good fish tacos at Barclay's Center though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 10:38 AM

@4:52
"A true fan, like myself, does not want to subject this beauty to a bad sounding venue and ruin the experience."

"...most of his fans agree with me."

Seriously--are you the biggest DB of all time? Who writes like that?

Stay off the BV and go get me my latte now loser.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 10:42 AM

yeah 4:52 that was retarded..If you are a big fan you will see him wherever he performs and if sound is so important to you see him in another city where he performs to a venue of your liking...

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 10:57 AM

A guy in the nosebleeds proposed to his girlfriend during "I'm Your Man"

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2012 12:35 PM

I saw Leonard perform this last night the audience of almost 7000 reduced to total silence and appreciation of a beauty and creativity rarely experienced..

Posted by Ticketsinventory | January 25, 2013 11:38 AM

have seen bauhaus a few times and loved it. peter murphy solo is a snooze. this is a pretty lame idea.

Posted by Google Chrome 2013 | March 31, 2013 9:40 AM