Posted in music on December 5, 2012

Japandroids at Pitchfork, July 2012 (more by Fred Pessaro // BBG)
Japandroids

NPR Music have announced their "50 favorite" albums of 2012, which includes names like Pallbearer, Andy Stott, Cat Power, Fiona Apple, Death Grips, and Swans. (No Grimes, though.) The list is also deep with hip hop, with shouts to Homeboy Sandman, Kendrick Lamar, Killer Mike and many others. Much like Q magazine did, NPR opted to list them alphabetically instead of one better than the next. Check out the full list below.

Japandroids also made the list, and the band played the first of two shows at Webster Hall last night (12/4). The band continues their stay at the venue tonight and tickets are still available.

NPR Music's 50 Favorite Albums Of 2012
DAN DEACON - AMERICA
DEATH GRIPS - NO LOVE DEEP WEB
DEBO BAND - DEBO BAND
DIRTY PROJECTORS - SWING LO MAGELLAN
DWIGHT YOAKAM - 3 PEARS
EXITMUSIC - PASSAGE
FIONA APPLE - THE IDLER WHEEL IS WISER THAN THE DRIVER OF THE SCREW AND WHIPPING CORDS WILL SERVE YOU MORE THAN ROPES WILL EVER DO
FLYING LOTUS - UNTIL THE QUIET COMES
NENEH CHERRY AND THE THING - THE CHERRY THING
NOW, NOW - THREADS
PALLBEARER - SORROW AND EXTINCTION
PATRICK WATSON - ADVENTURES IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD
P!NK - THE TRUTH ABOUT LOVE
REGINA SPEKTOR - WHAT WE SAW FROM THE CHEAP SEATS
SAN FRANCISCO SYMPHONY/MICHAEL TILSON THOMAS - ADAMS: HARMONIELEHRE/SHORT RIDE IN A FAST MACHINE
SHARON VAN ETTEN - TRAMP
SWANS - THE SEER
TY SEGALL - TWINS
THE VERY BEST - MTMTMK
VIJAY IYER TRIO - ACCELERANDO
WADADA LEO SMITH - TEN FREEDOM SUMMERS
THE 2 BEARS- BE STRONG

First. Oh. Wtf. No 3EB???

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 11:20 AM

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 11:20 AM

I’m really starting to think that Miguel’s people are paying for his hype. Snooze!

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 11:30 AM

At this point, can we all agree that any list without Grimes is meaningless (sarcasm.)

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 11:52 AM

no Grimes is a good thing, but the list still sucks

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 11:53 AM

No Divine Fits?

No Jack white?

No Tame Impala?

Lameness

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 11:57 AM

really, any list without Frank Ocean, Fiona, and Kendrick is bullshit. I'm sorry if you think this is hipstery to say, but it is a fact. NPR, Stereogum, and TIME got it right so far.

And any list with LDR should be questioned. Same with Sleigh Bells (kidding me).

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:00 PM

Ever since the British burned the White House down
There's a bleeding wound in the heart of town
I saw you drinking from an empty cup
I saw you buried and I saw you dug up
It's a long road, it's a long and narrow way
If I can't work up to you, you'll surely have to work down to me someday

Posted by Ace | December 5, 2012 12:03 PM

no Cloud Nothings!!! one list so far has a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:09 PM

^ Sorry but that Dylan album was not good

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:09 PM

P!nk?

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:10 PM

No Dylan, Bob Mould, Lee Ranaldo or Paul Banks?

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:15 PM

I think this is a great list, not that I agree with everything, but a lot of variety, stuff I haven't heard, and descriptions that make me want to check it out, which is what I try to get out of this exercise. Nice to see Brooklyn Rider get a little love.

>>really, any list without Frank Ocean, Fiona, and Kendrick is bullshit.

Have really tried to like Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar, just don't get it at all, with all due respect, know I'm apparently in the minority. Think the Solange album is much better than either of those.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:17 PM

Glad to see Cody Chesnutt make it on one of these.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:25 PM

No Spiritualized.
No Twilight Sad.
No credibility.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:35 PM

no justice
no peace

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:48 PM

I'm sick of these magazine/website lists with their "variety". Just show me some individual writer's lists.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:53 PM

Father John Misty needs more love.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 12:56 PM

no neil hamburger
no care

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 1:40 PM

Typical old people at NPR using all caps. Ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 1:46 PM

^ Well, they actually need to read it, so...

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 1:50 PM

In my middle-aged white, rockist, guitar-biased mind, the only perfect records this year were Bob's Tempest and Swans The Seer. Maybe I'll even buy those someday. Neil's Americana was pretty damn close, and a little better than Psych Pill. Leonard I never re-download after listening once early in the year, and that is in the back of my head to re-examine. Frank Ocean has been shoved down our throats since is "I once had a gay crush" marketing campaign before the record came out, but every time it popped up on the iPod, I had to guess "what is this not very interesting black record?" (unlike say Brother Ali or JJ Doom, which we at least interesting) even as the total plays inched toward the 10 mark on most of the cuts via random shuffle. Cody Chesnutt, Dan Deacon and Alt-J and unexpectedly Bill Fay and Gary Clark Jr. also elicit snores from me. Cat Power was her first record I hated even with the song that sounded like "Witchi Tai To". None of those made me want to kill like hearing "We Are Young" by fun at my local deli all year. Thank god the iPod crashed, clearing the decks of 10,000 mostly worthless 2012 downloads and rips of sold cds that can easily be replaced (any given week 180-190 of the entire CMJ 200 can be downloaded for free). And fuck that guy that wrote the blog about illegal downloading killing music while tickets increased 10-fold over the last decade. At least now I know I like Metz, Ty Segal and Purity Ring (the one of the multitude of etherial female voices with electronic backing I can deal with) and truly hate Mumford & Sons, Aesop Rock, Passion Pit, Twin Shadows and Matt & Kim.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 2:00 PM

^^ I'm surprised a guy as white as you hates Mumford & Sons; you're their target demo.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 2:07 PM

finally, love for Exitmusic

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 3:54 PM

no BandThatNobodyHasHeardOf?! OUTRAGE!

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 4:02 PM

Better than the crap Rolling Stone or NME put out... props to some of the odder choices, like Meek Mill and 2 Bears.

Posted by cicely | December 5, 2012 5:56 PM

I love Now Now and I hate Grimes!!! So I'm okay with this list.

Posted by Dollar Man | December 5, 2012 6:49 PM

mummus

hummus so old n crusty that it's mummified

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2012 9:29 PM

No Panda Bear Tomboy? They were all over it when it dropped.

Posted by Anonymous | December 6, 2012 11:57 AM

Do these lists take into account ALL kinds of music? Because if they do, then why why CDs by prog-rock groups completely ignored? This year Rush came out with one their most energetic albums -- "Clockwork Angels". And Ian Anderson {Jethro Tull} released "Thick as a Brick 2". Both albums are amazing, yet they've been ignored by every single list. Their concerts were spectacular too. What is the problem? Are people like Rush and Ian discriminated musically from these lists? Also Neal Morse, the Flying Colors, Glass Hammer, etc. put out remarkable material as well, and these mags don't care at all. I thought NPR would be much more accepting of the progressive sound.

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2012 4:49 PM

No one cares about progressive rock anymore. 1970 is over dude.

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2012 5:27 PM

I get it, being an intolerant prick and hating a thoughtful man is the new not being an intolerant prick and hating a thoughtful man

Posted by Animeiat | March 27, 2013 12:42 PM