Posted in metal | music on January 8, 2013

by Fred Pessaro // BBG

Tim of Clutch at Emo's East, December 2011 (more by Tim Griffin)
Clutch

One of my first ever live shows (not including arena jams with mom and pop) was seeing Clutch at the original 9:30 Club in DC. I remember it vividly, vocalist Neil Fallon strutted on stage and sang like he was reading from a bible, ripping out page by page and throwing it into the crowd. Along with the thundering groove-oriented instrumentation, that left quite an impression on my young mind (early teens at the time), as did Transnational Speedway League's mix of hardcore and stoner metal. The early days of Clutch, the always bountiful DC hardcore scene, and another little semi-local band from the area, The Obsessed, helped form my early tastes.

It's hard to believe that show was close to twenty years ago and that Clutch is approaching a quarter-century as a band. Older is wiser in my book though, and the Maryland stoner/hard rock crew are back with Earth Rocker, their tenth LP due on March 19 via their own Weathermaker Music imprint. The LP is definitely a departure from their last few efforts, which climbed further down the blues rabbit hole, and a return to the band that penned riff-y rockers like  the ones found on their self-titled, The Elephant Riders and Pure Rock Fury. We've got the premiere of the new album's title track which you can stream below.

With the band's new LP on deck and more than two decades behind him, I cornered Clutch guitarist Tim Sult to ask him a few questions about the release and their history. You can read that below.

------

Interview...

One of the most impressive things about Clutch is your prolificacy, the ability to release records at the rate of every other year on average. What was the process behind Earth Rocker and why the (relatively) extended wait?

Basically, we had been compiling songs and song ideas since we finished Strange Cousins From The West. Anytime we have time off, we have a tendency to get together and work on new song ideas. In the time between studio albums, we were busy touring and didn't have a lot of time to get serious about the recording process. We did however, go into the studio with J. Robbins and record several acoustic songs, a few of which were released on the Blast Tyrant reissue.

The recording process of Earth Rocker went very smooth. We got into a room with the producer, machine, laid out all the ideas, tweaked the arrangements a bit, tried out a few more completely new ideas and next thing we knew we had 14 songs ready to go, 11 of which appear on the album.

2013 is the 20 year anniversary of Transnational Speedway... and marks the release of your 10th LP overall. 2015 will mark a quarter century as a band, a definitely impressive feat especially considering that the personnel has remained more or less intact since the very early days. To what do you attribute your longevity as a unit?

To me, Clutch has seemed to be a constantly growing entity with new people always discovering the band. The fact that I know that new people are discovering our music for the first time and the fact that old fans still come out to the shows keeps me inspired. Our shows have gotten very, very slowly bigger and better so that helps to add to the longevity.

Clutch

With this milestone coming up, are there any plans to, much like the trend is nowadays, revisit an album in its entirety? What are your thoughts on that trend?

We played our 2nd album in its entirety a few times but I think that's as far as its going to go. I have no problems with other bands doing that at all but honestly I can't imagine us ever attempting that again. I think the only album that we could really play the whole thing and have fun doing it would be Earth Rocker.

Looking back on your inception, how much did the work of Wino and the Maryland Doom scene affect you vs the booming DC hardcore scene?

I moved to Maryland when I was 14 and discovered hardcore at 16 or 17 which I loved. I didn't know who Wino was until I was a little older. I would say the MD doom scene, and wino's music in particular didn't creep into the fabric of clutch music until the mid-late 90's.

Clutch at Emo's East
Clutch

Clearly blues and jazz are an influence, as exhibited by Clutch's music and the songwriting on Bakerton Group releases, but how much of a role does 70s hard rock and doom play into your current songwriting? What moves you currently?

Of course we love 70's hard rock and doom, but we aren't and never were trying to be a retro band. Looking back on the song writing process of Earth Rocker, I've discovered the song writing was primarily influenced by our time touring with Motörhead and Thin Lizzy -- obviously 70's bands I know, but I think we managed to come up with an album that sounds like a 2013 release and not something that belongs in the past.

x

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 1:54 PM

Hey Fred... "the ones found on their self-titled debut" - self-titled debut? That's news to me, or hopefully a typo?

Posted by long time fan | January 8, 2013 2:08 PM

It is! Ha. Clearly the self-titled came AFTER the debut.

F

Posted by Fred Pessaro | January 8, 2013 2:09 PM

Thank you - quick panic over with!

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 2:32 PM

^ Hmmmmmm.... wonder which one delivers pizzas and which one services the Saint Vitus glory hole?

Nah, just kidding. They all do, amirite?!?

LЦLZ

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 2:43 PM

Clutch was also one of my first shows in my early teens and they are still incredible. I met and talked to Tim and his mother at a show in Cleveland once and they were beyond nice and generous.

Posted by JT | January 8, 2013 3:11 PM

2:43: go back to Tulsa retard.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 3:15 PM

^ LЦLZ

@3:11 yeah, once you go glory hole you never go back, amirite?

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 3:18 PM

i went back
twice

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 3:41 PM

Took my fiancee to see you in SD on Valentines day. She really enjoyed the show as did I ! Thanks guys.

Posted by Chris Hofstadter | January 8, 2013 5:26 PM

^ LЦLZ@ "fiancee", amirite?

Do they allow "that" where you live?

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 5:34 PM

A much as it pains me to say this...this songs fuckin' sucks. The "bluahahahahaha" part is retarded and ruins the rest of the song.

Posted by meh | January 8, 2013 6:34 PM

.........................................................................__________
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ./ It's a TAINT! \
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _,,,--~~~~~~~~--,_ . . . . . \ ___________/
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :º ‘-, . . . .\/. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . .,-‘ :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : : :o : ‘-, . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . ,-‘ :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : : :O ‘-, . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .,-‘ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : , : : :º :::: :::: ::’; . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .,-‘ / / : :: :: :: :: : : :::: :: ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;\ . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . /,-‘,’ :: : : : : : : : : :: :: :: : ‘-, ;; ;; ;; ;; ;; ;;| . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . /,’,-‘ :: :: :: :: :: :: :: : ::_,-~~,_’-, ;; ;; ;; ;; | . . . . . . .
. . . . . _/ :,’ :/ :: :: :: : : :: :: _,-‘/ : ,-‘;’-‘’’’’~-, ;; ;; ;;,’ . . . . . . . .
. . . ,-‘ / : : : : : : ,-‘’’ : : :,--‘’ :|| /,-‘-‘--‘’’__,’’’ \ ;; ;,-‘ . . . . . . . .
. . . \ :/,, : : : _,-‘ --,,_ : : \ :\ ||/ /,-‘-‘x### ::\ \ ;;/ . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . \/ /---‘’’’ : \ #\ : :\ : : \ :\ \| | : (O##º : :/ /-‘’ . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . /,’____ : :\ ‘-#\ : \, : :\ :\ \ \ : ‘-,___,-‘,-`-,, . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . ‘ ) : : : :’’’’--,,--,,,,,,¯ \ \ :: ::--,,_’’-,,’’’¯ :’- :’-, . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .) : : : : : : ,, : ‘’’’~~~~’ \ :: :: :: :’’’’’¯ :: ,-‘ :,/\ . . . . . . . . .
. . . . .\,/ /|\\| | :/ / : : : : : : : ,’-, :: :: :: :: ::,--‘’ :,-‘ \ \ . . . . . . . .
. . . . .\\’|\\ \|/ ‘/ / :: :_--,, : , | )’; :: :: :: :,-‘’ : ,-‘ : : :\ \, . . . . . . .
. . . ./¯ :| \ |\ : |/\ :: ::----, :\/ :|/ :: :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : ‘’-,,_ . . . .
. . ..| : : :/ ‘’-(, :: :: :: ‘’’’’~,,,,,’’ :: ,-‘’ : :,-‘ : : : : : : : : :,-‘’’\\ . . . .
. ,-‘ : : : | : : ‘’) : : :¯’’’’~-,: : ,--‘’’ : :,-‘’ : : : : : : : : : ,-‘ :¯’’’’’-,_ .
./ : : : : :’-, :: | :: :: :: _,,-‘’’’¯ : ,--‘’ : : : : : : : : : : : / : : : : : : :’’-,
/ : : : : : -, :¯’’’’’’’’’’’¯ : : _,,-~’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : :| : : : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : :¯’’~~~~~~’’’ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : | : : : : : : : : :

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 7:42 PM

This band does it right...no BS hype just good music and a solid live show EVERYTIME.

Long live CLUTCH!

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2013 8:15 PM

is that admiral ackbar??

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2013 12:10 AM

The bwahahaha's didn't bother me but they did remind me of Dust Devil by the Butthole Surfers.

Posted by Jorge | January 9, 2013 12:40 AM

IMPETUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by Capitol_Beltway | January 9, 2013 1:54 AM

Thanks guys.

Posted by Minsk Шины | January 9, 2013 8:37 AM

this guy plays the same guitar solo in every fucking song. someone should hide his wahwah pedal.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2013 10:31 AM

these dudes should get a sausage pension.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2013 10:39 AM

Keep it up Clutch. Been listening to you guys since '93, and will continue listening until you're done.

You guys writing all the negative comments, life will get better for you. Just get some help...medication...whatever. I know you can do it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2013 2:22 PM

Every new album is better and better. Clutch has been my favorite band since 1994 and they never fail to prove it. At all 22 live shows I've been to, they are so insanely good, I can't wait til they come around Pittsburgh again.

Posted by Jake Fleischer | January 9, 2013 3:30 PM

I have seen Clutch live 25 times. They are the greatest band on the planet. Neil preaches it while Tim rips it apart, Beastman style. Jean Paul is a powerhouse while Dan is the mad Scientist. However, I would pay good money just to see them do Gnome Enthusiast live, while Neil does the Carlton...

Posted by Travis Wells | January 9, 2013 4:25 PM

"Yikes, I can't believe this band is still around...and with the same dudes. I saw them play on some really bad hardcore bills in 1991/92 back when they sounded like Helmet in a major fucking way. Who listens to Clutch records in 2013??"

I think I'm with ya. Transnational Speedway league was and will always be my favorite from them. They sounded like they were on speed when they wrote that. Just this "WTF did these guys come from" adrenaline-fueled ROCK.

They've sounded like a 1.5-rate 12-bar blues rock band for over a decade now.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2013 4:50 PM

SAUSAGE LЦLZ@ "Beastman style", amirite?

Sausages are fans of the most homoerotic cartoon ever produced?

What a shocker, amirite?!?

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2013 5:48 PM

Love these dudes. Always a good time.

Posted by B-I-N-G-O!!!!!! | January 10, 2013 10:47 AM

5:48 + Mandingo <3 4 ehvah

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2013 5:06 PM

A real Rock n Roll band that keeps it real. No special b.s. or fancy stage crap. Dig this band, always have. I cant wait to see them again.

Posted by Jason | January 12, 2013 7:01 PM

saw them play Binge and Purge once, and they couldn't finish due to the amount of fistfights that were breaking out. I really wish they would put out another slow crushing album like they used to do. New track sounds fun tho.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2013 3:28 AM

it's only music people. You can turn it off or on with the push of a button! wow!

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2013 11:24 AM

I know clutch since the first album
Yesterday I saw it in Germany
and they still rock like hell
to all the negative comments:
Who does not like it, it must not even listen

Posted by Anonymous | January 27, 2013 2:22 PM

The first concert I ever went to was Clutch. Now I'm going in April! Amazing musicians, great show, wicked songs! I'm a drummer and Jean Paul is a major influence of mine. Love the new track, definitely rockin! Keep on rockin Earth and the universe dudes!

Posted by McBeatz | February 21, 2013 5:11 PM

see you at Being Pure at Heart, Oberhofer, and Barons in the Attic!!!!

Posted by two way radios | March 8, 2013 12:54 AM

prefectttttttttttttttttttttt

Posted by mega fm | March 12, 2013 1:42 PM

I want a thick bread like that guy.

Posted by catering winnipeg | July 1, 2013 1:32 PM

Several buses are available near Jurong West EC along with shopping centers and restaurants. Jurong West EC is also Taman Jurong Shopping Centre as well as Taman Jurong Market and Food Centre

Posted by Jurong West EC | September 25, 2013 11:10 PM

Future residents will be able to walk from The Hillford Condo to the upcoming Downtown Line Beauty World MRT. Also, nature awaits your family and friends at the nearby Dairy Farm Nature Park and the Bukit Batok Nature Park. Also, the ultimate nature awaits you at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.

Posted by The Hillford Jurong Kechil | October 8, 2013 1:03 AM

Hair trimming of dogs is necessary. If trimming is not done, the dog's coat will never be throughly cleaned. Nail trimming is also necessary as if the nails are allowed to be grown too long, the nails will curl up and this will make walking for the pet dog unnecessary painful.

Posted by pet grooming centres singapore | November 13, 2013 2:44 AM

Riverbank at Fernvale has full and unique facilities, which includes a guard house, clubhouse, Function Room & Indoor Gym Tennis Court, 50m Freeform Pool Pool Deck, Wading Pool, Splash Pool & Family Pool Jacuzzi & Hydro Spa, BBQ Area Dining and Play Fountain, Fitness Alcove & Children’s Playground and Garden Trail.

Posted by Riverbank at Fernvale sengkang west | November 25, 2013 8:49 PM

I have enjoyed reading your post. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort on your blog. I appreciate your effort. Please check out my site.

Posted by vabna | December 11, 2013 11:57 PM

The condo’s facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Sengkang.

Posted by http://boardwalkresidence.net/floor-plans | December 17, 2013 2:59 AM

Several buses are available near Rivertrees Residences along with shopping centers and restaurants. Rivertrees Residences is also near Waterway Point, the shopping, dining and entertainment hub which is scheduled to open in 2 years time. Also, it is right beside Punggol Waterfront. Entertainment for your loved ones and friends are therefore at your fingertips with the full condo facilities as well as the amenities near Rivertrees Residences.

Posted by Rivertrees condo fraser centrepoint | January 18, 2014 10:16 PM

Don’t try to sneak your pet into a hotel or motel where dogs are not allowed. When you are caught, you will make it difficult for other dog owners after you

Posted by travelling with your pet | January 24, 2014 7:52 AM

we had an interview with alex as well and it was a great experience getting to know alex at redhill

Posted by Alex Residences | January 29, 2014 5:17 AM

the quick and short interview with tim sult were held at rivertrees residences and it was damn awesome to begin with

Posted by RIVERTREES RESIDENCE | January 30, 2014 6:16 AM

we will be having a major press conference and private one to one interviews with all of them at venture avenue and will appear on jurong east commercial

Posted by jurong east commercial | February 12, 2014 11:44 PM

Marina one is one singapore most iconic development that is one of the first joint development between Malayisa and singapore government investment arm...

Posted by marina one price | February 18, 2014 2:04 AM

Entertainment for your loved ones and friends is therefore at your fingertips with the full condo facilities as well as the amenities near The Santorini.

Posted by new home launch | February 26, 2014 8:14 PM

Lakeville has full and unique facilities, which includes a guard house, clubhouse, children’s playground, swimming pool, Aerobic/Yoga room, piano room, pool room, indoor gym, hydrotherapy beds, hydrotherapy baths, reading room, function room, onsen, jacuzzi.

Posted by new condos | February 26, 2014 10:19 PM

Highline Residences is a new and upcoming condominium located in Tiong Bahru, along Kim Tian Road. It is located right beside Tiong Bahru Plaza and Central Plaza. With expected completion in mid 2017, it comprises of TBA towers with TBA units and stands TBA storeys tall.

Posted by tiong bahru condo directory | March 3, 2014 3:00 AM

tim is my brother in-law and he is awesome.. do you believe it? we often spend our time by the lake downing ice-cold beer together!

Posted by LakeVille Jurong | March 3, 2014 8:59 PM

what? Tim is actually asking floor plans from you for highline? please recommend the best layout

Posted by highline residences floor plan | March 3, 2014 9:54 PM

hey we saw you jamming at kallang riverside alfresco pub just below the condo, had wanted to speak to you but you guys were too great and the crowd was overwhelming too! what a pity... see you again then

Posted by kallang riverside | March 20, 2014 4:33 AM

Property agencies and developers from Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, U.K. and Australia are participating in the exhibition.

Posted by north west village at wembley park | April 7, 2014 11:08 PM

hey tim, your track is missing? we were so proud of you guys back then at coco and soon.. we will be shifting to pasir ris grove!

Posted by COCO PALMS | April 24, 2014 1:41 PM

The biggest reason why Singapore has gone from position 17 in 2005 to the most expensive in 2012 is due to the exchange rate effect,” said Tan Kee Giap, ACI’s Co-director for Public Policy.

Posted by Southbeach condo | May 2, 2014 9:08 AM

Hmm...I love this kind of music, xoxo;)

Posted by Wesela Sosnowiec | May 18, 2014 1:29 PM

Posted by Obat Kutil Di kemaluan | July 23, 2014 5:24 AM

Located at 28 Race Course Lane, Singapore, this mixed development consists of 45 residential units as well as 8 commercial units. Situated in city fringe district 8, this development is a short walk to the Farrer Park MRT Station as well as many amenities around.

Cheers,

Posted by PropertySalesSingapore | August 18, 2014 4:47 AM

I love this interview! Thumbs up!

Posted by NorthParkResidences | September 8, 2014 5:06 AM

best song i've heard in a while! Imma listen to everything they have!

Posted by Butt | September 11, 2014 11:47 AM