Posted in music | tour dates on January 25, 2013

Blur at Hyde Park in 2012 (more by Dana (distortion) Yavin)
Blur

Last night, the Coachella 2013 lineup was announced, and as usual, there are some exciting reunions planned for the festival.

After we thought Blur might be done with their reunion without ever having played the US, they announced plans for 2013 and now we finally know that Coachella is their first scheduled US date since reforming.

Fellow britpop legends The Stone Roses have also been reunited for a bit and Coachella is their first scheduled US date since reforming as well. The band have only ever played a handful of U.S. shows in the first place, most of those without original drummer Reni. They played there hometown shows last summer, and if you missed it, you can check out videos, the setlist, and a review HERE.

Since reuniting, and even before, people have been speculating and hoping that Blur and The Stone Roses would play Coachella, and now both bands are not only finally playing the same year, but co-headlining the Friday(s) of the festival (April 12 and 19). Some videos of both bands' 2012 reunions below...

Blur - "Girls & Boys" in Hyde Park 2012

The Stone Roses - "Fool's Gold" at Singapore Indoor Stadium 2012

Coachella '93

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 9:42 AM

hyped for future Blur shows
not so much for Stone Roses, Ian's voice is just shut and they don't sound great live, judging from those videos

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 9:44 AM

SR - most overrated band of all time?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 10:00 AM

co-headlining show @ Barclays or separate headlining shows @ T5 or Radio City?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 10:01 AM

so many reunions of bands i never cared about. must be due to lack of decent music being released

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 10:08 AM

how many people misread and thought it was the Stones?

and then googled the Stone Roses

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 10:09 AM

^ I rather see Stone Roses then the Stones. Seen the Stones 2 times..eh..never seen the Stone Roses.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 10:20 AM

Stone Roses headlining Coachella? Do that many people really give a shit?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 11:01 AM

^I wouldn't think so..and Blur who has 7 albums should be above Roses who have 2?!

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 11:17 AM

Ian's solo stuff was pretty bad. I'm surprised it took the Stone Roses so long to reunite. Did they have personal problems?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 11:52 AM

Not to put anyone down or be age-oat but in the context of the time these bands were in their prime, Stone Roses >>>>>>>> Blue and that's pretty much rock and roll fact. Yes, they never sounded great live, but what they did and when they did it kind of supercedes that

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 12:03 PM

sorry, that should read "age-ist" and "Blur" not "Blue" ... anyhow, many people (and you don't have to agree with them) believe "The Stone Roses" is the best album ever made. Again, you don't have to agree with that, but Blur can't make any such claim. And while the Oasis/Suede/Blur triumvirate were certainly a big deal during the 90s and beyond, none of them really synthesized what came before them and gave it a new direction like the Roses did.

Finally, the Stone Roses are NOT a "Britpop" band as the article states. They preceded that movement. In some ways, they were the forebearers for the Britpop movement, so I guess there is some association

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 12:11 PM

To answer the reunion timing question posed above - it was all about the real or imagined fued between Brown and Squire. Brown's solo career was actually quite successful, but he did go through a divorce prior to the reunion, so perhaps that gave him reason to bury the hatchet. Once Brown and Squire reconciled, it came together quite quickly.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 12:13 PM

I wonder what music in the UK would have sounded like in the 90's without the Stone Roses.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 12:41 PM

Doesn't music in the UK always just sound like Kylie Minogue?

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 3:52 PM

Fact check - have the Stone Roses EVER played a gig in the US? I read the 33 1/3 book about them a few years back and I thought it said that they had never performed in the states. If they did, when and where?

Posted by Ryan Schreiber | January 25, 2013 7:20 PM

@7:20 PM,

They toured for 'Second Coming' in '95 but it was a pretty limited set of dates... I know they played DC for sure. Reni had quit the band at that point. I cannot for the life of me remember whether they played at all for the first album, I wanna say they played LA at least (and somewhere odd, like a high school gymnasium) but I could be wrong. They pretty much refused to tour America.

-bill

Posted by bill p | January 25, 2013 11:04 PM

@7:20 they played for "seocond coming" in NYC - one night I believe, at Webster hall. I remember because they were sticklers for IDs and I had to make a fake one in order to get in that night.

Posted by Slicknik | January 27, 2013 11:23 PM

Posted by Bumba | March 18, 2013 1:17 PM

Can someone Mr. Skin this and tell me where the NSFW bits are? I'd rather scrape my ball skin off than listen to two more seconds of this music just for some pancake tittes that may or may not be spankable.

Posted by medafile | April 14, 2013 9:37 PM

Two amazing bands. To put it mildly.

Posted by mike | May 9, 2013 11:57 AM

STILL WAITING FOR NYC dates from these two!

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2013 12:21 PM

Posted by American Greetings Login | May 18, 2013 5:39 PM

Posted by beagiant | May 27, 2013 9:05 AM

Posted by how to make a paper airplane | June 17, 2013 5:23 PM

Doesn't music in the UK always just sound like Kylie Minogue?

Posted by Americlean Firma Curatenie | June 17, 2013 5:24 PM

Posted by Used Cars For Sale Under $5000 | June 28, 2013 7:58 AM

Two amazing bands. To put it mildly.

Posted by public and private webcams | June 28, 2013 7:59 AM

Still no NYC date...blah!

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2013 8:36 AM

Come to TX please, Stone Roses!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2013 1:31 PM

I love this band, please come here now.

Posted by Oud oil samples | July 22, 2013 1:33 PM