Posted in music on January 30, 2013

Cat Power @ T5, 1/29/2013 (via @theconstantwanderer)
Cat Power

...the lights went down and Cat Power's backing band wound up with a slight guitar line that seemed to bring Chan Marshall out of the shadows. She had let her Mohawk grow out--no photographs were allowed during the set, so please bear with textual descriptors--but her hair was still short and bleached-blond, with darkly imperious eyebrows that arched over the back of the room. If you've never heard it before (I hadn't), Marshall's voice in person is only slightly less burnished than on record, not necessarily always the magnificent, ineffable thing I had been expecting. It was also difficult to hear contours and nuances due to Sun's stickier beats ("Sun"), vocal distortion ("Silent Machine"), and the simple fact that her voice was often sunk low in the mix ("Cherokee" and "Human Being"). When you could hear it above everything else, however, on older piano-driven cuts like "I Don't Blame You" or "Bully," it rose in her throat raw and untrammeled, transfixing everyone enough to shush themselves. - [Village Voice]
Cat Power's current tour hit Terminal 5 last night and we've got the setlist to the sold-out show below. Also on the bill was rapper Angel Haze, who also appears on a new, Ryan Hemsworth remix of Chan's single "Manhattan" which you can stream below.

Openers for the evening were SISU, the band fronted by Sandra Vu who also plays drums in Dum Dum Girls (Jules Dum DUm is also in the bad). You can catch them Thursday night (1/31) at Glasslands with "duo" versions of Crocodiles and Punks on Mars, as well as a solo set from Cassie Ramone. Tickets are still available.

You can catch Ryan Hemsworth live on his upcoming tour with Daedelus and Salvia.

Cat Power remix and setlist are below...

Cat Power - Manhattan (feat Angel Haze) (Ryan Hemsworth remix)

SETLIST: Cat Power @ Terminal 5, 1/29/2013
Nothin But Time
I Don't Blame You
Peace and Love
Ruin

WHICH TERMINAL???

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 1:09 PM

heavy on Sun, very few older songs
still count her show at Town Hall as one of her best

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 1:31 PM

Not feeling the new direction.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 2:55 PM

she needs a guitar in her hands DAWG!!!

got thum leather skin?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 2:56 PM

I'M NEVER GOING BACK TO T5 AGAIN

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 3:23 PM

It was a decent show although it dragged a bit at times. Also it would have been nice if she played a few songs solo on piano. Her mostly all-girl band was excellent. Of course being at T5 the sound was spotty. I know she doesn't play dance music but how can 99% of fans stay perfectly still during the uptempo songs? They said no pix but everywhere you looked there were idiots taking pix and texting.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 3:34 PM

It actually sounded better on the side and upstairs than on the main floor. Why do people pay to see an artist that you know at times plays quiet, intimate music and than just talk through the entire show ruining it for others around them? It's kind of rude!

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 3:58 PM

3:34: Absolutely right! There were a lot of seriously banging songs last night (e.g., Peace and Love) and that was one very still crowd. I don't how/why people can remain so motionless. I thought the sound was better at Hammerstein Ballroom show, which is an acoustically superior venue.

I'm going to print up cards that say "Please Respect the Performer and Be Quiet" in a variety of languages and hand them out at future shows.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 4:35 PM

I don't get the T5 hate. I've enjoyed a ton of shows there and have always had a good experience. The location is convenient (for me at least). The sight lines aren't bad, I honestly don't think there's a bad seat in the house. Sure the acoustics aren't at Radio City Music Hall's level but what is? I know bands sound a lot more crisp and clear in there than they do at any of those bogus venues in brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 4:50 PM

450 I've seen around 15 shows now at T5 and maybe 3 or 4 the sound was decent. They need speakers on the sides of the stage not just those 2 long stacks above the stage. Even Roseland has better sounding shows. I saw Cat Power and Soundgarden recently both at T5 and Hammerstein. They both sounded way better at Hammerstein.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 6:03 PM

People who complain about the sound at Terminal 5 strike me as the same people who complain about the sound quality of mp3s vs. CDs. Meaning, it's true but it's not convincing anyone not to participate.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 6:16 PM

"I'm going to print up cards that say "Please Respect the Performer and Be Quiet" in a variety of languages and hand them out at future shows"

Why go through the bother when a kick in the box sends the same message quicker?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 7:25 PM

The truth she cant really sing and play an instrument at the same time effectively, thats why all her earlier shows were so notoriously bad. Its much better just letting the backing band play so she can concentrate on singing. But seriously, like 2 old songs? No metal heart, crossbones style?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 7:38 PM

7:25--For civility, my good man, for civility.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2013 7:22 AM

7:22 -- You assume that I am a man. You would be wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2013 9:03 AM

I'm sorry, but any one that think the sound in good in T5 probably has a hearing problem. It was my first and last time there. I've heard the horror stories and although this show wasn't that, the sound in that room was abysmal. She sounded about as good as you could in that situation. I can imagine a bad live band turning into a nightmare up on that stage.
as far as the set list I was hoping for more a varied night. I think that the slower stuff where her voice could come out more would have worked well in that venue. the new record live there sounded muddled and at times you could not hear her clearly or at all, even though she was definately pushing it.

if you get away from the center of that floor you might as well go home.

@4:50 I'd take MHOW any day over this terrible venue.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2013 4:35 PM

she always plays whatever the new album is and maybe a few songs off the previous couple records.

if you wanted to hear moon pix songs live, you missed the boat by about 16 years.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2013 11:59 PM

She looks really good with short hair.

Posted by catering winnipeg | June 29, 2013 9:12 PM

They've tried a soft-core version of that already. They called it Communism. ;)

Posted by Armour | September 15, 2014 1:34 PM