Posted in hiphop | music | tour dates on January 22, 2013

Governors Ball

Governors Ball, which started as a small NYC festival on Governors Island and moved to the larger Randall's Island last year, keeps getting bigger and bigger. This year's fest takes place June 7th, 8th & 9th, and tickets go on sale Friday. Check out the full lineup, in list, video and flyer format - one unannounced headliner included, below...

Governors Ball

FULL 2013 LINE-UP
Kanye West (First show as sole headliner in NYC since 2008)
Kings of Leon (First NYC show since end of 2010)
*HEADLINER TO BE ANNOUNCED
Ruby Velle & the Soulphonics
Moon Hooch
ON AN ON
Haim
Reignwolf
----

Awesome. But bring on the hate!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:27 AM

wow, much better than last years lineup

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:27 AM

no hate... love!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:29 AM

I think thats a pretty awesome line up for a festival like this. But the price is a little high. I think the ???? act is The Yeah Yeah Yeas

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:29 AM

Finally, someone gets a respectable festival lineup here.

But, yes, please get your complaints ready trolls.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:29 AM

Any guesses on the third headliner? I assume the announcement is being withheld for contractual reasons... Mumford & Sons and Passion Pit both have big arena shows coming up in the next few weeks...

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:30 AM

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:30 AM

I've been running around. Looking down at all I see.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:30 AM

I can't believe people actually think Radiohead/ Atoms for Peace/ Daft Punk are possible lol.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:33 AM

I bet is Arcade Fire.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:33 AM

tough to comment until the other fests release their lineups.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:35 AM

??? is probably phoenix

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:35 AM

I am trying to tell myself I wouldn't want to attend and it's not really working. This is fucking solid on pretty much all levels.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:37 AM

FINALLY

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:38 AM

Kayne and KOL. That's unfortunate

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:39 AM

Dinosaur Jr should be in the blue section

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:40 AM

I wonder if they will divide the acts as they did last year. With 3 days instead of 2, things are bound to change.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:42 AM

In all seriousness, WHO THE F--K wants to go Randall's Island 3 DAYS in a row???!!?!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:43 AM

Scarves everywhere must be going nuts at this news! Give it a whirl!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:45 AM

phoenix or postal service will be announced as the headliner after coachella goes on sale

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:49 AM

too bad you'll probably have to hit all 3 days to see a single day's worth of good bands

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:50 AM

Third headliner: Silent Drape Runners.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:50 AM

If you want to attend a fest where Cut Copy is billed higher than Dino Jr, please be my guest.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:51 AM

Third headliner: Postal Service

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:53 AM

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 11:53 AM

uh

Posted by silent drape runners | January 22, 2013 11:58 AM

I really don't see postal service as a headliner.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:01 PM

3rd headliner is the strokes.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:02 PM

I see two rounded letters at the end, so can't be Postal Service or YYY
Notice that Animal Collective is not even on the top three tiers lol

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:05 PM

This lineup is about as tasty as microwaved 2-week-old moldy pizza slices. Kanye+KOL is about as terrible as it gets... The third headliner could be The Smiths and this lineup would still suck.

Undercard isn't bad but ALL of these bands have played NYC so many times in the last 3-4 years that there is absolutely nothing new. This is a festival for everyone who has never been to a real festival before. ENJOY!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:08 PM

seriously meh

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:09 PM

Pay no mind to the letter popping out from under this poster...

It's Daft Punk. They can't announce this until after Coachella announcement next week.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:09 PM

The Gov Ball website says that they may not even sell single day tickets. This is probably a ploy to get everyone to buy 3-day tickets up front.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:09 PM

strong.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:10 PM

The third headliner on the poster is just ????????????? with a line through it. Could be anything.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:12 PM

Third headliner = Biebz. You know you want him just as much as Grimes does, hipster scum.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:16 PM

+1 12:12. There's a different photo on their Facebook page that makes it even easier to see the question marks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:17 PM

"The third headliner could be The Smiths and this lineup would still suck."

DUMBEST/ WORST COMMENT OF THE DAY. Fool!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:25 PM

wow first good festival lineup in god knows how long.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:32 PM

Hipsters Balls.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:37 PM

"The third headliner could be The Smiths and this lineup would still suck."

Probably because it would make it even worse. The Vienna Boys Choir comes off less emasculated.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:37 PM

wow looks like we get to go home early everynight as the headliners suck but most of the other acts are fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:43 PM

My Bloody Valentine?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:44 PM

"Do you guys really think this is a good line-up? I see a large amount of garbage on that list."

"ALL of these bands have played NYC so many times in the last 3-4 years that there is absolutely nothing new. This is a festival for everyone who has never been to a real festival before. ENJOY!!!"

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:45 PM

The line-up is somewhat diverse, but those headliners are fucking garbage. Keep jerking off over it, people. Like the other person said above, you can catch any of these bands/rappers in NY at any point throughout the year, in much better environments.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 12:57 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:00 PM

"all i see are elitist music heads who hate on hipsters, when theyre hipsters themselves"

Well you being an idiot pretty much is why that is all you see.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:11 PM

"2 very smart people above with those comments. I agree completely. The people who think this is a great lineup are unfortunately the dreck thst has swarmed this blog as of late. Idiots with no discerning bland taste. It is the reason places like Terminal 5 continue to operate. If that makes me a "hater" then I will wear that title proudly. I would rather be a hater that knows what's up than one of these losers who have no clue."

That's cool, man, keep patting yourself on the back for not going to T5 or whatever. Moral of the story is, if a band I like is playing somewhere near me, I go and enjoy myself. In terms of NYC-area festivals, this is the most solid and best we've had in a LONG, LONG time.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:16 PM

Vampire Weekend is a good bet for the other headliner...NYC...new album in May

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:20 PM

It's a decent destination festival lineup, but it's also true that NYC is better then festivals like this. I mean, the snotty people are right, these bands have all been through here multiple times playing small venues - some (many) very recently. If you are very excited by this lineup you probably don't live here.

This is why people are assuming you are stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:24 PM

1:16, that's cool that you don't care enough about sound or a venue that you will go anywhere to see them. It must be nice to have no discerning taste. Good for you I guess. Who cares if this is the most solid and best festival we have had in a long time. Shit is shit no matter how you slice it. Festivals in NYC are meaningless. If you are going to have a festival in this area it better be with bands that WOW you. Not the same old bands.
Cannot be said any better than 1:08

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:25 PM

****Kanye West (First show as sole headliner in NYC since 2008)

yea no.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:26 PM

Not a bad lineup. Too bad I'm over overpriced festivals where I have to be surrounded by a bunch of fucking obnoxious NYU/Pratt kids to watch a band play from 1/4 mile away.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:28 PM

yeah its nice to go to shows throughout the year. its also nice to see a bunch of cool bands you wouldnt otherwise spend $20 and a saturday night on. considering basically the whole lineup is covered by this blog, im wondering why the haters even read it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:41 PM

"As for T5... I'm yet another person that doesn't go to T5. I don't wonder why people hate on it here, I wonder why 1:16 defends it? Is your music taste so limited you have to go there when bands play? Aren't you aware there are bands just as good/better playing much better venues probably the same night as the band you like is playing T5? Aren't you aware that your favorite band will travel through again next year and not play T5? Aren't you aware enough about new music that you can see acts early enough, before they reach T5?"

To clarify, I don't love T5 and I certainly see other shows in many other venues. That being said, I'm 6'1 and I can maneuver through crowds pretty well which means I'm never one of those shitheads watching the show from the side bar or all the way towards the back. If I'm on the floor I can see fine and the sound (while shaky at some shows) is usually good. I'm starting to wonder if all the complaints are from midgets...

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:47 PM

Gotta say I'm impressed, although didn't festivals used to have at least a small sense of musical coherence? Surprised there aren't more DJs.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:55 PM

T5 sound sucks for loud shows. Shaky ain't the word for it. Terrible works.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:56 PM

11:40 couldn't be more right.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:56 PM

Serious question for those who say any and all festival lineups are weak because the bands have recently played in NYC: which bands have skipped over the New York area when touring in support of a new album?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:58 PM

This is probably the best festival line-up that NYC has ever hosted. The only complaint I have is the electronic music presence in the line-up is very mehhhhhh. Outside of Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, the promoters would do better to get some real musicians in there. Pretty Lights are fucking garbage and laughable as headliners. You stick Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Burial or someone else monumental as a headliner (sorry, it won't be Daft Punk b/c they aren't touring) and then add some other talent that isn't the hipster-psuedo EDM bands represented in this year's line-up, maybe we can call Governor's Ball a festival that competes on a national level.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:58 PM

Best NYC Festival Line-Up since 2009 All Points West

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 1:59 PM

11:40, uour mom should be in the blue section. Her fat ass doesn't fit on the small stages.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:00 PM

Terminal 5 is ok..certianly better then Roseland. All who can't stand it obviously have not been there or have not been there in years and just like to troll or are upset they have to take a taxi or a train to the venue..fact

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:05 PM

@12:45

"The people who think this is a great lineup are unfortunately the dreck thst has swarmed this blog as of late. Idiots with no discerning bland taste."

Ha! as of late? GTFO. Go back 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-or more years and there will be an endless string of comments lamenting BrooklynVegan.com's decline. Dude, if you think it has just started to go down hill that means you just got here not too long ago yourself. Brooklyn Vegan is the same as it ever was. You've just decided that having lived in Bushwick for 1 or 2 years now gives you license to get on a high horse.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:07 PM

When do they announce the schedule?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:12 PM

The people slamming this lineup are all middle aged men of tubby stomach and thin pate who are only happy seeing obsolete geriatric hardcore geeks at Acheron and St. Vitus.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:12 PM

Are they still doing the "no overlapping sets thing"?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:17 PM

@2:17 no. Two acts will be on at the same time.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:27 PM

There is a huge difference between an impressive line-up in terms of scale, and an impressive line-up in terms of quality.

It's nice to see something of this magnitude coming to NYC, irrelevant as festivals like this may be. However, spending a weekend around people that get excited by Pretty Lights and Kings of Leon would be a fate worse than death. 2/3 of that lineup is the musical equivalent of eating a hot pocket.

Hopefully it does well, and we get one in 2014 that isn't laughable from a musical standpoint. Until then, just be happy that nobody that goes to this will go to ATP.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:47 PM

I saw Kanye as a solo headliner in November 2010 at Bowery Ballroom

Posted by Venkman | January 22, 2013 2:48 PM

^ah ha!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:53 PM

"You stick Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Burial or someone else monumental as a headliner (sorry, it won't be Daft Punk b/c they aren't touring)"

Did I miss the tour dates for the other 3? Also there is no way any of those 3 would be headliners.

Posted by marc | January 22, 2013 2:55 PM

@2:12 - I'd rather be bald than have a vagina.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 2:56 PM

Where are the after parties?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 3:19 PM

Much as I've love to see Burial as a headliner here, it will be Arcade Fire.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 3:27 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 4:49 PM

i hope it's Phish and you all shit your pants in disgust.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 4:52 PM

What time does Daft Punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 4:57 PM

Any festival that has Kanye as a headliner is a festival I will not attend.

Period.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 5:00 PM

I had a great time at last year's Gov Ball. The festival was very well organized. None of the acts were mind-blowing, but the sets were solid. I'll pick one day, go with a group of friends, and have a blast. Screw all of the haters.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 5:34 PM

"the avett bros and dinosaur jr are the only bands on here worth checking out, rest is hipster crap"

yeah, maybe if you're 40, white and bald

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 5:59 PM

I love how everyone always talks shit about festivals. What is a good festival in your opinion? I've never seen a lineup where I wanted to see every artist. And guess what, since they will be overlapping sets, you can never see every band anyway. I prefer to see a one off show in NYC by a band I like and then go do my own thing rather than being locked into a full day of music, but it's not like these promotors aren't trying to appeal to people. Your favorite bands aren't all free at the same time waiting for a phone call so they can all play together at every festival to make your lineup perfect. If you don't like it don't go. I'm sure you can see your barista friend's art-rock band playing in a garage in Wburg. Eat a bag of dicks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 7:32 PM

Coachella style fest in NYC = Roachella!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 8:12 PM

The hummus is thick at this festival. Thick like week old sabra that is..

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 8:21 PM

this lineup is absurdly good. everyone who says otherwise is lying or stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 9:01 PM

I hate music.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 10:01 PM

TBA = Bowie!

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 10:10 PM

The people who run this festival are just the type that candidly piss on these acts and the people who go to shows like this, let alone a festival full of indie bands. I think it looks like a pretty decent lineup and I'd consider going one day out of three if it weren't for the two complete douche bags running it. At no point will I give my cash to assclowns like them.

They are laughing at you. All the way to the bank.

Posted by Sweet Tits | January 22, 2013 10:25 PM

TBA = The Knife

in my dreamzzzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2013 10:38 PM

If the mystery band is RATM and Dinosaur Jr. & Death From Above 1979 are playing on the same day, I might go. Only because I'm still bitter that I missed RATM in years past.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2013 12:20 AM

The mystery headliner isn't RATM so you can rest easy bb.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2013 1:29 AM

Maybe Prince? He'll come out and be like "I heard some stanky li'l bitch be playin my tunes here in NY, time to set the record straight (BOOM - pyros, right into when doves cry, he comes out on motorcycle like a boss).

people getting mad that others don't think this is a good festival lineup need to chill, for me it comes down to the schedule - not skipping work for this lineup, the price for single day tix, and the hassle of getting to Randall's Island - and that's my 2 cents

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2013 12:27 PM

I don't think there is enough type-space for that third act to be Mumford & Sons. Then again, it could be them and the poster is just fucking with us.

Posted by Anonymous | January 23, 2013 3:32 PM

Please don't be Mumford & Sons...who wants to hear the same song played over and over and over and over and over again...one song will do.

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 5:34 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2013 11:56 AM

"Does this mean we are going to become like Chicago is with Lollaplllooza, where all the bands on the festival bill aren't allowed to play any other shows?"

Probably but if you wanted to see any of those acts headline, they've already been around multiple times on this album cycle.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 5:03 PM

Governons boll show! I like this event because he the best

Posted by otimização de sites | February 6, 2013 7:22 AM

Also why would that be used to appease white people? James Brown had a band. Otis Redding had a band. Ray Charles had a band. Stevie Wonder has a band. I understand it's a different genre, but your statement was incredibly fuckin dumb and naïve.

Posted by two way radios | March 8, 2013 1:04 AM

Governos ball with line horizont!

Posted by lipo 6 black ultra | March 20, 2013 11:30 AM

2013 Lineup with marce, kayne, kings and other

Posted by Sistemas | April 13, 2013 10:12 PM

I belive, dont take my break

Posted by anos 70 | April 13, 2013 10:14 PM

Smoosh/Chaos Chaos is NOT to be confused with Prussian Blue, the white nazi folk duo. We are from Seattle, not Germany!

Posted by medafile | April 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Are they Jewish?

Posted by mike | April 28, 2013 11:05 AM

death from above 1979 canceled, foals added.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 2:27 PM

aka former Toronto resident Warren Hildebrand who now lives in NYC?

Posted by como aumentar o penis | May 13, 2013 11:00 AM

headliner included, below...

Posted by miostatina | June 1, 2013 7:49 PM

in list, video and flyer format

Posted by oxyelite pro | June 1, 2013 7:50 PM

You can check out the whole list and a performance and interview video of

Posted by lipo 6 black | June 1, 2013 7:55 PM

Hildebrand, who has also spent time in the live?

Posted by acompanhantes sp | June 12, 2013 7:05 PM

governors ball. kanye west, kings...

Posted by renda extra | July 7, 2013 7:15 PM

Autosurf

Posted by Autosurf | July 20, 2013 10:26 PM

I promise to work five times...

Posted by buffet para casamento | August 21, 2013 2:24 PM

2013 be lineup show man messi

Posted by Apartamento de 1 quarto no noroeste | August 21, 2013 6:47 PM

Posted by garotas de programa sao paulo | August 28, 2013 9:40 AM

Isso é muito bom! Tudo mundo vai gostar!

Posted by Jurandyr Leal | October 23, 2013 3:34 PM

Buscar conhecimento sempre! Muito bom conteúdo.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2013 12:12 PM

Muito bom post. Usaremos as informações quando necessário.

Posted by Apartamentos em águas claras | November 8, 2013 5:31 AM

Sempre importante buscar conhecimento. Informações serão úteis!

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2013 7:45 PM

Gostei muito de manter contato com as informações. Pretendo voltar e deixar outros comentarios.

Posted by Apartamento 4 quartos Noroeste | November 30, 2013 12:45 PM

Apartamento 4 quartos Águas Claras

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2014 6:09 AM

Bem interessante comentários, principalmente quanto ao assunto da escolha de uma alimentação adequada!

Posted by Apartamento 4 quartos Águas Claras | January 9, 2014 2:25 PM

I'm satisfied to seek out so many helpful information here in the submit, we need develop extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing.

Posted by Rose | February 27, 2014 12:04 AM

post bem legal! Conteúdo interessante e útil.

Posted by Apartamento de 4 quartos Águas Claras | March 29, 2014 8:30 AM

Posted by Assistir filmes Online | April 8, 2014 11:04 AM

Posted by Ver Filmes online | April 8, 2014 11:07 AM

I heard about the mud, can't imagine not being upset about it.

Posted by Pedroza | September 14, 2014 5:03 AM

Isso é muito importante, mas tem pessoas que não estão nem ai!

Posted by Apartamento 4 quartos Aguas Claras | October 14, 2014 1:46 PM

Muito bom quando as coisas estão calmas. Vamos combinar de deixá-las assim!

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2014 1:54 PM

Not as many trolls here as first expected. It will take a while for this venue to become a truly great music/arts festival.

Posted by Anonymous | October 14, 2014 2:40 PM