Posted in music | pictures on January 29, 2013

photos by Dominick Mastrangelo; words by Bill Pearis

"I saw Palma Violets four times in the last ten days.
They were really great at each show." - Craig Finn

Palma Violets @ Pianos, 1/28/2012
Palma Violets

Palma Violets concluded their assault on NYC last night (1/28) with two shows, the previously-announced, second visit to Glasslands and an earlier show at Pianos which BrooklynVegan presented and was announced that morning. The industry-heavy Pianos crowd was probably the most subdued, sober audience the band played to in their six-show run (it was also their only show in Manhattan). That said, it was fairly raucous for a 7 PM show, and packed (and well-recieved). The band would play to a more typically frenzied crowd at Glasslands after. Pictures from their Pianos set, including the setlist, are in the this post.

Did you make it to any of the Palma Violets shows? What do you think? Did you meet the band's highly-assertive merch guy? The band will be back for SXSW, and maybe more shows outside Austin.

More Palma pics below...

Palma Violets

Was at the Pianos show. Wished for more rowdiness but as they mentioned on stage, it was early and no one was drunk yet. They've got great energy. Been listening to that "best friends" song this morning. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 11:40 AM

The Merch guy was hysterical. He was yelling at some guy that he could have gotten a single for the price of that beer, and that he'd be regretting not getting that single when he'd forget how that beer ever tasted.

Wonderful way to get the mood going for the show.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 11:50 AM

Harry was awesome, chilled smoked a j with him at 252 Norman. That and shea stadium were fuckin awesome

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 12:08 PM

11:40, 11:50, and 12:08: all part of Palma Violets PR team.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 12:10 PM

12:10 - My first post in this thread and I assure you that I'm not on their PR team. Seriously...Harry their merch guy is the most charismatic member of their whole posse and he isn't even in the band. He's almost like what Bez was to Happy Mondays...they literally need him as a huckster and hype man or their whole package wouldn't be the same. Now on to the band. "Best Of Friends" is a great song and the bassist is a bottle rocket of energy channeling 77 era punk...although he needs to lose that "hand shaking higher" schtick. But they don't have any other songs that are nearly as catchy, so time will tell if we're just dealing with another Kaiser Chiefs or something like that.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 12:33 PM

Harry for President...or Prime Minister or whatever.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 1:19 PM

Yeah I went to the 252 Norman show and had a great time. Can't complain with a sweaty rock and roll party in someones living room. They seem like they're having fun too, which I can't say for most of the bands I see these days. I asked the bartender what happened when they ran out of beer, and he told me "the band drank it all". So that's a good sign too.

Actually not that anyone cares, but The Everymen were great that night too. I'd never seen them before...

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 1:24 PM

Harry was that dude! Hooked it up.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 9:03 PM

I thought they sucked at Glasslands last week.
Libertines without the class

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2013 9:25 PM

Went to the Glasslands show on Monday night. Didnt really enjoy it that much and the only rowdiness was from some bro'd out bros in the front. It was OK, but I dont see the need to ever see them again.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2013 12:17 PM

This makes me want to drum.

Posted by catering winnipeg | June 29, 2013 9:24 PM