Posted in metal | music | pictures on January 24, 2013

photos by Jonathan McPhail

Soundgarden at Hammerstein Ballroom, 1/23/2013
Soundgarden

Soundgarden completed their run of NYC dates at Hammerstein Ballroom last night (1/23), the band's second evening in a row at the venue. As with their previous shows at Terminal 5 and Hammerstein, it was "an evening with Soundgarden" and the setlist was scattershot across their whole career, nodding to material old and new.

In between T5 and Hammerstein on Monday (1/21), Soundgarden played a bit of a historical gig... the Presidential Inauguration Ball in DC!  (Alicia Keys, Brad Paisley, FUN., the cast of Glee, John Legend, Katy Perry, Maná, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Usher and others also played). Frontman Chris Cornell also performed at the Commander-in-Chief's Ball which honored the men and women of the U.S. armed forces. Not too shabby, boys!

More pics and the setlist from Hammerstein last night are below.

SOUNDGARDEN at HAMMERSTEIN BALLROOM, NY, NY SETLIST 1/23/13
Rusty Cage
The Day I Tried to Live
4th of July

Tags: Soundgarden

Epic.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:02 AM

They never do Big Dumb Sex any more....

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:03 AM

Searching With My Good Eye Closed
Spoonman
Rhinosaur
Drawing Flies
Zero Chance
Like Suicide
Fresh Tendrils
Rusty Cage
The Day I Tried to Live

Winning.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:07 AM

This show was great. They started off really rocking and then the vibe changed quite a bit for the rest of the show but I'll take an interesting setlist versus one with all the hits because I've seen them do that before.

Posted by wingwalker77 | January 24, 2013 11:19 AM

I would have lost my mind and crashed the stage had they done Big Dumb Sex. Or, Full On Kev's Mom Great show.

Posted by anonymous girl :) | January 24, 2013 11:26 AM

Crowd was weak, sound wasn't great and definitely not loud enough.

Looked like a better set on Night One - would have liked Beyond The Wheel or Incessant Mace.

Other than that it was a decent show.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:27 AM

11:19: How so? Went from rocking to moody?

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:28 AM

11:28, yeah kind of but I still thought it was cool. After seeing them rip my face off the past few times it was nice to see a change of pace.

Still wish they would play Pretty Noose or Limo Wreck but can't complain too much. Setlist selections have been great.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:40 AM

Much better venue experience than the 22nd. Setlist kicked ASS. They looked like they were having an awesome time on stage. Best Soundgarden show in NY in 2013.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:41 AM

Rhinosaur owns

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:43 AM

Show of the year!

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:45 AM

Started out strong (Gun, Flower), but yeah 11:28, it wandered around a little bit in the second half. Blow Up The Outside was suitably enormous, however.

I sort of can't forgive them for the JCPose omission....

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 11:59 AM

The show was awesome from the floor. Tight, bumpy but great views and sound.

Setlist was very good. Only wished they played Slaves and Bulldozers. I love Kim's guitar work on that.

Posted by Nick | January 24, 2013 12:01 PM

11:59: Yeah, but they played JCP on the other two shows here. Seeing as though they kinda change the setlist up a bit each time (especially with some of their more well known songs), it's sort of understandable.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 12:07 PM

Was Ben Shepherd angry? He usually is.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 12:12 PM

Ben shepherd was beyond angry, he would have killed every single person in there if given the chance-sick show

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 12:15 PM

Ben looked pissed. I love it. I was screaming I love you and he looked like he wanted to shoot me. GREAT SHOW from the floor. But again you cant please everyone... would have loved Beyond the Wheel and Slaves & Bulldozers but they played Like Suicide and Zero Chance, Rhinosaur.. They RIPPED in my eyes!!!!

Posted by sophia | January 24, 2013 12:22 PM

Too bad I couldn't make these shows. Don't know now when (and if) I'll finally see them.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 12:25 PM

What time did they go on and get off?
On Tues it was 830-1045.

Posted by Ryan | January 24, 2013 12:42 PM

Ben Shepherd looks like he literally wants to murder the entire audience. He smashed his bass into his amp after the first set. If he's not standing there like Michael Myers from Halloween he's violently playing he's bass or snarling at the fans like a lunatic. I can't tell if it's an act or not but it's entertaining as shit. Crowd was weaker than the night before. At one point Cornell said "It's a rock and roll show, you can yell back at me.", then said, "This next one's called '41 Year Old Rock Show'". Pretty funny.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 12:46 PM

crowd was weak. band was weak. show was weak.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 12:54 PM

It was the best out of all the shows they played this past week.. the set list was really good.. but for a long set I think they lose their energy after the first hour..
but it was good they play the older songs in the first hour...cornell was finally moving more than he has in a long time.. and ben well his look is so annoying i hated back then and still dont like it now.
if he so pissed off why dont he go back to laying on peoples couches .. he lucky to be in the band

Posted by linda | January 24, 2013 1:04 PM

Enjoyed last night much more than Tues because 1) I got in the doors early and didn't wait in a huge line in the freezing cold, and 2) had a good spot near the front instead of a terrible one way in the back under the overhang. Timing is everything. Sets were great both nights, regardless of the overlap. Night 1 was more for the 'casual' fans, while night 2 had a few more songs to cater to the long-time fans. Glad I went, considering I spent a good portion of my life believing that a stop on the Lollapalooza '96 tour would be the only opportunity I'd ever have in life to see this band.

Posted by Funderburgh | January 24, 2013 1:40 PM

the show was great it was cold as fuck outside so may be thats why the crowd took a while to get into the show . i dug it. alot of marijuana smoke in the air . ben sheepard did look angry as fuck though . maybe is an act i dont know i would feel blessed playing next to cornell the guy hasnt lost anything in his voice .

Posted by john | January 24, 2013 1:57 PM

one would expect them, even at their old ages, to move around a bit more, show some enthusiasm. instead, they were nearly frozen in place. their sound was a little too polished for those older songs, which robs the intended aggression. that all said, they're all amazing musicians and played for a LONG time. fdny probably shouldn't assessed whether capacity rules were broken, tho. whew.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 3:48 PM

Awesome set list. TY COBB would've brought it to PERFECTION.

Posted by Anonymous | January 24, 2013 3:56 PM

Awesome show. Great setlist. Ben was probably pissed because Live To Rise was added to the setlist. I'd have been pissed too.

Posted by Tommy Two Dicks | January 25, 2013 8:39 AM

Insane setlist

Posted by Anonymous | January 25, 2013 12:38 PM

Great setlist way better then 1/22
Sound was poor and crowd was weak agree
Seen them in 90's like someone said they have ripped my face off this was good very good but not like years ago still had fun

Posted by Jg | January 26, 2013 11:57 AM

Posted by Bumba | March 18, 2013 1:27 PM

first two records are classics (frances the mute especially). should have broken up when jon theodore quit the band. they've never been a good band since.

Posted by medafile | April 14, 2013 9:42 PM

Sound Garden. You are my favorite band.

Posted by Mike | May 1, 2013 10:55 AM

God, the guitars in this are just amazing. Long live rock. Screw the mainstream crap we hear on the radio, this is true music!

Posted by Robson | September 15, 2014 7:01 AM