Posted in music | venues on February 20, 2013

A very old picture from the Melody...
Melody

Back in July we talked about how New Brunswick bar and music venue Court Tavern was in the process of reopening with a new owner. Well, as people who live in the NJ town surely already know, that happened in December. From the bar's blog:

After nearly a year of being closed The Court Tavern is now open again. Bands are lining up to play again at our famous and well respected venue. A lot has gone into our refurbishment whilst we have been careful to maintain a bit of history about the building and the past life it had.

New owner Mike Barood explains:-

THE COURT TAVERN HAS GAINED A GREAT REPUTATION OVER THE YEARS AND MANY FEATURES INSIDE ARE A TRIBUTE TO THE JOURNEY OF THE BAR AND THE BANDS THAT HAVE PLAYED IN IT.

IT WAS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME TO KEEP THAT DREAM ALIVE ALONGSIDE THE UPDATE WHICH WILL HELP IT LOOK TOWARDS THE FUTURE. MANY LOCAL PEOPLE AND MEDIA WERE DISAPPOINTED WHEN THE TAVERN SHUT AND I FEEL PROUD TO BE ABLE TO BRING THIS GREAT LOCAL SPOT BACK TO LIFE AGAIN.

Check their calendar for upcoming shows.

Meanwhile, though it will never open again, fellow legendary New Brunswick music space The Melody is getting a rebirth as well, but in the form of a reunion. Those 39 and older should keep reading below...

Melody

7th Annual Melody Bar REUNION with Matt Pinfield

The 7th Annual Melody Bar REUNION is SET for Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at the Elks Lodge in New Brunswick! Make your plans now! As always, we will be reliving the great music and great times we experienced at the greatest little club in the world, starring the one and only Matt Pinfield! We'll be partying from 7 pm to 12:30 am, and this year we'll be saluting the greatest Melody music from 1989!

Also new this year - in response to popular demand that we leverage our success to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy's devastation (and yes, this certainly includes some among our own crowd), all door and bar proceeds will be going to Hurricane Sandy relief, specifically the sandynjrelieffund.org, a 501c no profit. Go online and check it out!! Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund - sandynjrelieffund.org

**EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS** this year -- we will be having a Silent Art Auction of Melody-related artwork and memorabilia with all monies raised to support shore relief! NOTE: If you are an artist interested in producing a piece of Melody Bar related artwork (painting, drawing, t-shirt, etc), or have a notable piece of Melody memorabilia that you'd like to donate to our silent auction, send an inbox message to Frank Gibson (aka Stiffy Biceptz) ASAP.

As always, you are urged to GET THE WORD OUT! Hit the websites, post to your Timeline, blogs etc. Send through snail mail, call and email all your contacts, and let them know they must attend. Think of some old timers who haven't yet been back and try to track them down.

The organizers, DJs and hosts look forward to seeing all of you on the dance floor and bringing the spirit of the Melody Bar back to life for another magical night in February!

40 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-2521
(732) 249-3420

In unrelated but related news, some reading this far may be interested to know JUDGE is getting back together.

Let me know when Lifetime plays there again

Posted by Anonymous | February 20, 2013 9:49 AM

sick femme mullet in that pic.

Posted by Anonymous | February 20, 2013 10:02 AM

Let me know when Dissonance Bar is having reunion.

Posted by Anonymous | February 20, 2013 10:19 AM

I know that guy - that's Gary Kaplan, guitarist for Dandelion Fire & Rotator Cuff. Check out Alfa Romeo by Rotator Cuff - great song and yes I am older than 39.

Posted by Anonymous | February 20, 2013 2:26 PM

Tuesday Nights at Melody Bar were te BEEZ KNEEZ back in 93.
Nothing but K-Holes, and 80's beats, and freaks doing a weird variation of the bump and grind.
I doubt the elks lounge will be having any of that.

Posted by Anonymous | February 20, 2013 2:37 PM

Fun

Posted by Jamie | March 9, 2014 7:32 PM

I'll never understand why people pay money to go to a show and talk the entire time. I would have killed to be at that show. Very disrespectful. Brian has alot more patients than I. Great song!

Posted by Mariano | September 17, 2014 3:59 PM

I wish I could have been there! Yes, I know it was last year, but my brother said they have them often. I was just reminded of the Melody yesterday because Matt was on Sirius radio. My husband John and I live in Florida now, but New Brunswick was a great place in the 80s. We both went to Cook College. Do you remember the record store downtown? John, my friend Olga and I went to the Melody every Wednesday and Thursday (I think) during the early eighties. Wait, we may have gone to Close Encounters on Wednesdays because we were good friends with the band members of The Plugs. For some reason, we called Gary, Gary Greg. He said he was a psychologist. I don't know if that was really true. We hung out a little bit with him but not much. His loss. Our best friends were Frankie who lived in Highland Park , Paul Brodbeck and Matt Pinfield. Matt would remember John as "John from Italy". We went to see one of the very few performances from the Smiths with Paul. Unfortunately, I only remember about 5 minutes of it because I was too drunk. I do remember that Morrisey fell on the stage. John was also good friends with two Armenian brothers but I can't remember their names. Matt was the DJ at our wedding in 86. Of course, Frankie was there too.
We thought we were so cool because we never had to wait in line at the Melody so when we started working and began bringing our friends there, who could beat that? and Matt would put us on the guest list for New Years. WE NEVER went to the Roxy. It just felt like a different type of vibe. My brother, who is two years older than me was a Court Travern regular. He is now married to Darcy whose sister Doran dated Tom????from the band that played at the Court quite often. They had two or three semi famous songs but I can't remember.
We did our best to grow up and have children. Our first was born to Classic Girl by Janes Addiction and she is in LA seeking fame and fortune. Our middle daughter was born to Head Like A Hole. Not a wise choice on our part. She often tries to convince me that when there is a "room with a stage" it is a concert venue, not a bar. And finally, there is my son. I was 38 when he was born, so we played 10,000 Maniacs. Make that 10,001. We still go to concerts every now and then, but there will never be another Melody. But who knows, my son wanted a record player for Christmas, so we started pulling out the old vinyls and have 80s at 8 to get some family exercise. Thanks for letting me share!

Posted by Helen Kornitas DeCerce Cook College '83 | February 25, 2015 7:27 PM