Posted in music | venues on February 12, 2013

Motor City

Time Out commenter Jukebox Jodi writes:

Been bartending at Motor City since the doors opened almost 17 years ago! We play all kinds of Rock'n'Roll, R&B, Soul, Garage, from the 50's and 60's to Punk to Rock to now. We have set the standard for the best Music on the Lower East Side and everyone has tried to copy us,but we always manage to stay one step ahead of them! Wednesday Happy Hour and Friday Nights are my nights in which the above mentioned music is showcased! Weds. I do gourmet cocktails for 2 for 1 Happy Hour, and Friday Nights we have the amazing Go-Go Goddess, "Anna Copa Cabana" shaking her shimmy to the 60's grooves dance party! Stop by for some fun!
That comment, which sums up what it was like at the LES mainstay, was written in October. Now comes word that the around-18 year old bar is closing soon. According to a long-time DJ there, one of the owners sent out an email yesterday letting people know that the lease is up on February 28th, and that they'll be closed by June.

Head over to 127 Ludlow Street for one last drink while you have the chance, and leave your Motor City experiences here in the comments.

the best bar to hang out at after playing a show in the neighborhood. sad to see it go

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 9:26 AM

I once stopped by there for some hummus infused vodka and then went home and ass fucked Princess Superstar. It was a très LES evening.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 9:30 AM

had some shitty bartenders there recently but i was going there since 99 or so...many the time i hooked up in that bathroom listening to the stooges.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 9:38 AM

So many fun memories here. It's a real shame to see it close. Also been going there since '99 - maybe I even hooked up with 9:38 in the bathroom once or twice.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 9:48 AM

Had some great times there! I am sure something great will pop up in its place... a duane reade perhaps?

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 9:52 AM

Spent a lot of time there in the late '90s. Have fun n this decimated city Midwestern transplants.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 10:19 AM

9:52-I think a Starbucks would suit the neighborhood much better.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 10:24 AM

I'm hoping for some fresh new condos. That would be pretty sweet.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 10:27 AM

Awesome joint. Will be in to check the chalk board and have one last drink. RIP motorcity.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 10:38 AM

CHASE BANK PLEASE

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 10:39 AM

I'm hoping for another Whole Foods in the area. 1 is not enough.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 10:40 AM

after growing up in farmington hills, mi, i love bringing my MI friends here when they came to visit. loved the vibe, the music, the pinball, the ms. pacman machine, the price, the dancers, everything. really really sad if this ends up being true.

maybe we'll get a 2nd tim horton's in the neighborhood.

Posted by karl | February 12, 2013 11:02 AM

I love Motor City, but this hood is done. It's becoming what the East Village became - Disneyland.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 12:00 PM

LES is dying slowly.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 12:14 PM

^The entire city is dying slowly.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 12:28 PM

Yeah guys! I hate progress! I hate clean! BOO NY! IT'S A MIDWESTERN CITY NOW! I MISS MY WILD YOUTH! BACK IN MY DAY! WAH WAH WAH.

Grow up. NY is in better shape than it has been in years. Unless you prefer to be mugged. Then I'm sure you can find another shit-hole to live in, no prob!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 12:37 PM

these comments are the duane reade and starbucks of commenting. you guys should be ashamed of how dumb you all sound.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 12:50 PM

to the Yuppie who posted @ 12:37 - Maybe (or perhaps most certainly) you would have been mugged in the old days, and judging from your comment you would have deserved it, enjoy your lily white shopping center ...

ps die yuppie scum!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 1:02 PM

The only thing that could possibly make the sadness of this place closing easier to handle, is if they open up a chickpea based eatery in its place

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 1:08 PM

Duane Read > old bitter fucks romanticizing their youth

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 1:11 PM

poor people gonna cry

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 2:24 PM

Sad that it's closing, but I was more surprised that it was still open, actually.
And agree with 12:37. And 1:02 is an a-hole.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 2:25 PM

The entire city is lying on its back and coughing up blood. Tom Colicchio gathers the drippings for roast pork sandwiches at public space kiosks. It seemed like a mixed review and I have a policy about not reading those.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 2:26 PM

Lots of shitty cocaine ingested in the bathroom that never locks.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 2:31 PM

This place didn't even have artisinal cocktails. Total townie bar.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 2:36 PM

manhattan is over and brooklyn will be done in a few years.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 2:59 PM

2:36-But did they have mixologists?

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 3:36 PM

^nope. No small batch whiskeys either. This place was just asking to go out of business.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 4:04 PM

Good riddance. Assholes worked there and losers drank there.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Yeah, staff are/were all fucking assholes. Fuck this place and fuck NYC. City is dooooone

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 5:37 PM

I got free drinks at Motor City one night because the bouncer kicked me out of Dark Room for putting my head through the ceiling doing air splits to Van Halen...

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 5:38 PM

Cindy's weed

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2013 8:48 PM

Posted by jeux de mbc3 | February 13, 2013 9:28 AM

Haven't been in years, but this used to be one of my regular places to hit up on the LES. Sad to hear about this.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 9:31 AM

NYC is ova.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 10:19 AM

It was just another douchebag infested bar like all the rest on the LES and E. Village.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 10:40 AM

Yeah, but it was MY douchebag bar.

Posted by A Douchebag | February 13, 2013 11:04 AM

11:04-says the biggest douchebag.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 1:40 PM

It was a great bar and became increasingly special in this homogenized city. I don't miss danger from back in the day. But I miss that there were a lot of very different scenes going on. Everything new opening is exactly the same. It's boring. And for the suburban types that have moved here, that seems to work. They can't wait to pay $18 for a cocktail and leave a $1 tip for it. It's too bad that real people and real businesses have been priced out. And we have every right to miss that there is no longer any character to this neighborhood.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 3:21 PM

I have lived on the LES my entire life and can't tell you how many years we have put up with the loud obnoxious people across the street.Good riddance and lets hope another bar doesn't replace it.Now we can sleep a little easier at night!

Posted by Frances | February 13, 2013 3:53 PM

It will be another bar and it will be 500 times worse. Motor at least catered to an older clientele. Anything that opens in it's place will cater to 21 year olds like every other bar on the LES.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 5:31 PM

I hope MARS BAR re-opens there.

Posted by Anonymous | February 13, 2013 6:03 PM

Stopped going about ten years ago when the place started to become a yuppie hangout but many good memories there prior, including yes, various adventures in the bathrooms including that little one next to the bar itself that many seemed to not notice lol.

Posted by Steven NYC | February 14, 2013 7:58 AM

3:53 - Here's some food for thought Frances...if you can't handle street noise, maybe you shouldn't have lived on the LES your entire life.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 8:59 AM

This place set the standard for music on the LES? Huh? Really? In what way?

Mona's on Avenue B was a punk bar loooong before Motor City came around and it's still there as it's always been. Continental is still around.

These places et.al. could EASILY be old/new places for people to get their drink on if they just went there.

At this point I think people have to start going to existing/remaining places to hang out instead of bemoan what's gone and not hang out. It's Saturday night and you want a drink before or after dinner or a movie or between the two? Go somewhere.

You're still alive - go somewhere. If something new opens, check it out. What more can be said at this point?

Posted by ! | February 14, 2013 9:58 AM

'Know what's cool about Continental, Mona's, and Otto's Shrunken Head? You literally don't have to step foot in the LES or so-called "East Village" to go there.

Continental - Just cross Third Avenue at St.Mark's Place and you're there.

Mona's - Just walk east along 14th Street and make a right onto Avenue B.

Otto's Shrunken Head is on 14th Street right before you get to Avenue B / on the way to Mona's.

'Wanna do a mini-bar crawl of all three? Go to Continental then walk up Third Avenue on the west side of the avenue to 14th Street then walk east on 14th, hit Otto's then Mona's (or Mona's then Otto's.) No dealing with the yuppies, hipsters, NYU dormers, fratbros, or frathos (sorority sisters.)

Posted by ! | February 14, 2013 10:06 AM

'Word 9:58 and I guess 10:06. Find new places to hang/drink/whatever. And nothing stops you from going to GASP! other neighborhoods in Manhattan. As if the LES and East Village are the ONLY places to "get your drink on".

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 10:13 AM

Uhhhh Continental is terrible now. Where have you been the past five years?

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 10:17 AM

Uhhhh Continental may be terrible, let's say it is (I'll humor you.) How 'bout quality people - say a group of twenty of 'em to start one Friday or Saturday night - not make it terrible? Take it over.

Posted by ! | February 14, 2013 12:53 PM

I have been an employee at Motor for 18 years. I help build the clientle there and it has been my personal baby for the entire time. It's quite upsetting to read some of these horribly nasty comments about the place, but I guess if you didn't get the place, the music, the innovative nature of the place, well then I'm sorry to say, you just aren't cool enough and you should have never set foot in the place. It's the scumbag yuppies like you who have no creativity and have driven the nails in our coffin and destroyed NYC. Please go home now. We are tired of you you jacking up our rents, pushing us out, vomiting on our sidewalks and in our bars, acting rude and disorderly in public, not tipping us, and kicking us when we are down. You have no manners and are complete classless scumbags. I hope you will be happy in a NYC that is so disgustingly gentrified which nothing interesting or unique. It's a very bland and boring world you live in.

Posted by Jukebox Jodi | February 14, 2013 2:03 PM

Jodi - you don't seem to understand that most (if not all) of the commenters here have never even been to New York City... Perhaps you really are out of touch.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 2:20 PM

Continental? That place sucks now. I hope someone shove's Triggers hat up his ass ... sideways.

I love Otto's. Played many shows there, and seen tons as well. But Motor City had better music playing. If you wanted to hear some rock while drinking, Motor City was the place.

I still miss Luna Lounge.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 2:27 PM

Trigger's hat hahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 2:34 PM

Jodi is a fucking idiot. Not a shock that he/she has worked in a bar for 18 years.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 2:42 PM

Trolls 1
Jodi 0

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 2:52 PM

Jodi apparently can't deal with modern America so has decided the best course of action is to call other people names. Jodi must have a lot going for her.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 2:55 PM

Jukebox Jodi

I know you may find this hard to believe but it's people who make a place in the end. People like you.

My advice to you is do one of two things:

1. Get a job at a new place and get your customers including longtime ones to go there when you're there. Create a Facebook (Facebook.com/JukeboxJodi?) letting people know where you're at when. Everyone wins: your customers are still that, you see them, they see you, you still have a job and make awesome tips at it, and your new place will get x amount more business.

2. Raise money for a liquor license and a jukebox via Kickstarter then find investors for a bar you open up - Jukebox Jodi's? There are turnkey places all over Manhattan and the divey-er the better.

Posted by ! | February 14, 2013 5:04 PM

I heard they are a opening a pinkberry frozen yogurt joint up in there.
Big fluorescent sign out front too.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 6:02 PM

I can't even believe the people that have commented on this site.... after living and breathing NyC rock n roll for 20 years here... bars and bartenders like Jodi are a pure example of what makes this city unique, colorful and a place to call home! I have so many fun, crazy memories at MC and all you yuppie scumbags dream you have stories to tell our like Jodi and I, we are part of NYC Rock n Roll history and you just sit there with your pathetic lives wishing you were like us,,, I am 38, hot, super successful, have a legendary rock n roll boyfriend and amazing friends.. what do you have Instagram and your parents $... money doesn't buy integrity darlings.... piss off! Motor City Forever in our Nyc Hearts!!!

Posted by red | February 14, 2013 6:23 PM

Well, to the person that called me an idiot..... you are obviously so clueless about everyhing that has gone on at Motor City for the past 18 years that you don't even deserve a response. I dare you to come to the bar and say that to my face but you would be too much of a pussy to do that wouldn't you? It's easy to bash people behind a computer. Grow a pair will ya and educate youself about music because you obvisouly know nothing. We have been an instituion and trail blazer to the LES. It was a war zone when we first opened with no businesses and gangs shooting each other in the street. Continental has sucked for many years, Mona's is filled with douchebag, neighborhood, yuppies like yourself and Otto's is our only saving grace now. BTW, if you had any fucking clue about anything, you would know that Otto's concept WAS MY FUCKING IDEA!!!!It's a total offshoot from Motor City. One of my best friends owns it and he and I were going to do it together. I stayed at Motor because I was trying to buy it!!!! If our landlord wasn't such a money hungry asshole we would still be there, but because he thinks he can get millions of dollars for the space (because of all of the douchebaggery in the LES) we are outta there.

Posted by Jukebox Jodi | February 14, 2013 6:49 PM

Just the fact that so many of you have made anonymous comments shows that you're just bored trust fund morons with nothing better to do. When did you arrive in NY, last month? I suggest you all go back to your nice "clean" hometowns like Des Moines, Lincoln, and Cincinnati because you have no concept of what makes New York, New York. If you think it's a Starbucks on every corner and a trust fund kid in every apartment then I blame you personally for the sad state Manhattan is in. There's no "Bohemia" in NY anymore. No artists' havens or enclaves. All the squeaky clean mid-Westerners descend on a neighborhood and before you know it it's just another strip mall pushing out all the true creativity in favor of the banal. Motor City was real, but you don't want real. You want manufactured, boring and familiar. Why did you even come here to being with if that's what you wanted? I hope this city chews you up, spits you out and deposits you gasping and chastened back on your parent's doorstep in whatever flyover state you came from.

Posted by Blondie | February 14, 2013 6:53 PM

And you are exactly right, I can not deal with Modern American because it's disgusting, shallow, money driven and boring just like you. A generation of spoonfed sheep. Do you have any idea how to build something like a community, and interesting place, or a relationship? Obviously not. SOOOOO BORING it's sickening. Why don't you try record shopping to start. It's a really good character builder that you seem to be lacking.

Posted by Jukebox Jodi | February 14, 2013 7:07 PM

Hey dj Matty here from new orleans, and I love motor city! Great bar and really friendly people who work there and go there! Much love to Jodi and the rest of the staff. The trolls and haters on this list have Just sound like bitter, not friendly yuppie type idiots. Go fuck yourselves.

Posted by Dj Matty | February 14, 2013 7:08 PM

Jodi - Stop! I guarantee you no one here is serious. It's not worth your time or anguish.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 7:36 PM

If these haters knew anything about me or the bar, they would know that I am not just a bartender and that Motor is not just another local bar. Their comments are rendered irrelevant do to how naive, stupid, and classless they are. I expected a bit more from Vegans. he he

Posted by Jukebox Jodi | February 14, 2013 7:39 PM

I will miss Motor City.

MC's staff is genuine and interesting and real, not the usual parade of bored-and-boring, standardized, ill-mannered brats you get too often in NY's bars.

This place meant a lot to many people and these memories will never be obscured by spiteful, dull comments barfed out by randos who clearly have a lot to learn about courtesy and life, things an ominously expensive (and often ineffective) education can't always buy...

Ad maiora Motor City!

Posted by Stef | February 14, 2013 7:49 PM

Wow, there are some PISSED old people on here. Reality Bites huh grandma?

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 8:09 PM

8.09... I am probably younger than you. Definitely hotter.

Posted by Stef | February 14, 2013 8:27 PM

Anyone who talks shit about Motor City has never been there or is a Grade-A Asshole.

I've never had anything but a good time there.

Thank you Jodi and the MC staff!
Thank you for the drinks, especially the free drinks.
Thank you to the bouncer who helped me find my piece of shit ring that I lost on your floor.
Thank you to Jonathan Toubin who gave me one of the records that he had just spun.
Thank you all!
I had some amazing nights at Motor City.

MOTOR CITY will be missed by us life-long New Yorkers.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 8:38 PM

so some middle aged alkies lost their rat's nest? what a tragedy!

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 8:49 PM

Middle aged alkies who will kick your little ass. C'mon down and talk some shit smart-ass. You know where to find us, but you'll never show your ugly ass, will you?

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 8:56 PM

Haha, yeah I'm sure you middle aged rummies are all tough guys and knockout babes. Because that's what happens when you spend your life in a bar. You better watch yourself grandpa, or your mouth might write a check your ass can't cash. You're alcohol ravaged body aint built like that. You'll tap out in 20 seconds.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 9:27 PM

Hey anonymous, the rapidity with with which you indulge in stereotypes tells me you must not be very bright? Am I mistaken? Also your social life must be swirling with hot young babes since you keep commenting on this... What a sexy night you must be having... WE have a reason to comment, we are all friends and supporters of Motor City, but you? Your youth and vigor are definitely wasted on you if this is the use you are making of them.

PS: You clearly have never stepped foot in MC cause otherwise you would remember how freaking hot the bartenders are. A lot of cool bands you probably pay to go and see, and that are often featured on here, are regular customers or guest djs. See, you are an ignorant. Gather some info before spitting out nonsense.

Posted by S. | February 14, 2013 9:42 PM

What's you're name 9:27? I want to buy you a drink. I'll have your name chalked on the board so I know who is going to kick my ass. Right? Tough guy. Come collect on my ass's check.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 10:27 PM

"You're alcohol ravaged body" says the scholar.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 10:33 PM

Hey Jodi

Continental and Mona's came before MCB so show some respect, especially Continental which was the launching pad for D-Generation and had thousands of live music shows with some name bands you fucking idiot. Mona's was THE original mid-late '80s-early '90s bar for hardcore punks, skins, metalheads, new-wavers, mods, rockabillies, indie kids, and whoever else. Yeah, there were places before MCB as difficult as it is for you to grasp. You come off like MCB was/is the end all be all of the LES when it was not. CBGB was a trailblazer of the LES. Yeah, MCB was a trailblazer of every house of ill repuke ie yuppie/hipster/NYU dormer/fratbro/fratho/transplant bars all along Ludlow, Orchard, Stanton, and Rivington Streets, congrats!

'Cool that Otto's was YOUR FUCKING IDEA! Where did I say it wasn't? I told people to support it so WTF is your problem?!!

How 'bout you LEARN TO FUCKING READ and understand that I said people should take over Continental and Mona's from the very people you've been railing against in ten comments and patronize Otto's, now that MCB is closing, or are we all supposed to lament the end of MCB and stop going out to drink somewhere because your precious bar is no more?

'Way to skip over my viable ideas and lump me in with the Anonymous shitheads when I'm not one of them. Go fuck yourself and spare me the toughgirl talk as I would slap the shit out of you if we were face to face and you bugged out like you're bugging out on here.

- An '80s Kid

Posted by ! | February 14, 2013 10:53 PM

You fucking typical crybaby.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED!

Create a new place to make good times and memories, be it an existing place which would welcome additional patrons and/or a new place.

Do that or shut up because crying about it in BV comments isn't gonna make things better.

Posted by ! | February 14, 2013 11:02 PM

Hey 10:27 we can meet up at Tompkins Square tomorrow if you want to shoot a fair one. I promise I'll knock you quick.

Posted by Anonymous | February 14, 2013 11:35 PM

What's the point of saying mean, nasty things? Seriously? Insulting and belittling an important part of someone elses life? If you're serious, why be so vitriolic? And if you're not serious, why be so provocative? I enjoyed myself at Motor City. And I am really happy that I have Jodi for a friend.

Posted by alexandra | February 15, 2013 2:58 AM

I agree with Alexandra.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2013 3:08 AM

jodi, like someone else said...just leave it and enjoy motor city while you still have it. people are notoriously on here to be assholes, mostly out of their own insecurities (i.e. - antisocial losers that only know how to be behind the screen). the rest of us will be making out in the bathrooms of motor and making party till that shit is shut down. long live mcb.

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2013 3:26 AM

As a ten year resident of the east village, I would say motor city is my favorite spot. Otto's is way to rockabilly and being that I have long hair, I am not welcomed in there. Marrs Bar was really good too, but that's gone, and Continental is and has always been shitty as long as I can remember and D-Generation is over-rated.

Regardless, it sucks it's closing, but it always seemed crowded so I don't understand. How does a crowded bar close???
Perhaps the owner is pulling a scam? I dunno...

Posted by Anonymous | February 15, 2013 5:07 AM

How ironic that people who work at this nothing special that isn't in L.A. x 100 bar bemoan transplants from the Midwest yet the bar's name is the nickname for Detroit, a Midwestern city - too funny. New York isn't Detroit, so why call it Motor City Bar? Oh, because it was going for a Midwestern rock bar vibe/scene, not a New York one.

Even more ironic that these same people and their "followers" (if you can call them that) badmouth Mona's and Continental when no one including myself said they were better than MCB, but I guess reminding these NEWJACKS that there were/are things which came before them threatens their air of self-proclaimed superiority. Those two bars and Otto's will be the closest thing to MCB as one will get once MCB is gone, like it or not, and I can't think of other EV/LES watering holes like MCB other than them. Feel free to list other EV/LES places with your saying they're better than Mona's and Continental or not, cuz at least it's productive. MCB employees and followers would have you believe the closing of MCB is the end of the EV/LES when it is not.

Keep being asshurt that Mona's and Continental were here before you were and will be here after you're gone. Continental isn't shitty, it's just no one goes there anymore and I don't see why that is considering it's right on the outerskirts of the East Village - you don't even have to step foot in the (grossness of the) EV/LES to go there or Otto's, and you briefly have to step into Alphabet City to get to Mona's.

When I mentioned D-Generation, I should've elaborated that a big chunk if not all the money Jesse Malin made from the band being signed to a major label was put towards the opening of Coney Island High - you gonna talk shit about CIH, too, Jokebox Jodi?

Posted by ! | February 15, 2013 12:36 PM

THIS
FUCKIN
SUCKS

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2013 7:18 PM

Was basically in there 5 nights a week from 98-01 while living in the Apple,then of course always visited after I moved. Always a BLAST in those days. Too many stories, wow. Sucks its goin down. First Mars bar, now this, what bullshit. NYC is gonna be a big yuppie mall in a couple years with armed guards on every block. Glad I was there when I was. RIP Motor City, we'll always have the memories ;-)

Posted by Bill Dwyer | February 18, 2013 11:54 PM

I didn't like that they never changed the decor or hardly moved a goddam thing inside for 17 years. Clean out the roaches from the ceilings and walls from and get some fresh smells in there at least.

Posted by Der Bob | February 23, 2013 4:23 AM

So I hear that people on this site are paid to provoke people into fighting? Interesting. When I found out that Motor was closing and that I was not going to be able to buy in after so many yrs of work there, it was quite devasting to me. Nothing like a bunch of paid assholes to kick you when yer down. They even seem to picking fights with me over things I never even said or did but whatever. These losers mean nothing to me. Btw, I used to Love Continental and played and hung out there for years. Noel was a gem. Used to go to Mona's too when Mike from Belmont Playboys tended there too. Haven't been to either in years but when I walk by them they both seem pretty uninteresting and packed out with what seem to be fratt boys and bad music. Yes CB's did start it all and many have preceded Motor in music venue form mostly but Motor took things to a different level. Something you will never understand if you didn't hang out there and we're not part of. So I'm speaking to all of you wonderful people who have read all of this and commented. You know who you are and the relationships and many years of hanging out in our living room will always be cherished by me. Thank you for all of your love and support over the years. We definitely rocked that house apart!

Posted by Jodi | February 25, 2013 2:02 AM

This is going to be the new home of CBGB's.

Posted by Milkycerealbaby | March 7, 2013 5:32 PM

The folks on here who are celebrating MC's closure obviously aren't native New Yorker's. And yeah, you're probably the soulless mid-Western dweeb types that would have been mugged outside ABC No Rio. Now we're infested with your privileged brood, your chain stores and your indie yuppy parade. So there we have it, another one bites the dust.

Posted by Anonymous | March 8, 2013 10:30 AM

I love this bar and am sorry to see it go. I was a long-term CBGB employee and I can't explain the grief that occurs when a family loses it's home (and that's what makes these places special and why they retain such long-term employees...it's a family). That's what's happening to the Motor kids right now. Have some compassion. It's not "just a bar" to a lot of people. It's a place to always feel like you belong in a city that no longer embraces it's misfits.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2013 5:50 AM

Being a displaced Detroit Born girl with a bit of a Motown past this is sad to see. Motor City Bar has been one place I could go after my many NYC gigs that give musicians from the D a taste of hometown luv! Thanks for the Rotation and the beers left 4 me by fans... well at least MotorCityBlog owned by the brother will still be on the web ....

Posted by Eliza Neals | April 7, 2013 1:06 PM