Posted in music | venues on March 12, 2013

Sigur Ros

Sigur Ros sent out the following message today:

a band note about madison square garden show

almost a dozen years ago we played our first nyc show at irving plaza. we'd originally booked to do angel orensanz, but it blew out fast and we had to move to the bigger room. even so, all the way through the subsequent beacon theaters, united palaces, radio city music halls, even, we never thought we'd get to play madison square garden. it just seemed so...iconic?, establishment?, or maybe just big? when we performed downstairs at the madison square theater in 2006, billy joel was doing a 15-night run above us. that seemed like the right order of things. and yet, here we are, two weeks out from what we can only described as the big one!

we are currently "warming up" in europe, so that when we hit the east coast we are the real hot tamale for y'all. of course, we would say the show's great, but, you know what?, it is. there will be a bunch of new songs and all the stuff we currently love the most from our back pages, all set to the best and brightest production we've ever managed to cram in a small fleet of trucks. most of the show's sold, but there are still some tickets left with the building just having opened up more seats at $35. plus, everyone buying tickets gets a free 3-track digital ep of new material, which will be sent out in advance of the show. we're excited. we hope you are too.

- sigur rós

The MSG show was first announced as part of tour in November 2012.

just released $35 tix for MSG
which is fucking pointless
they were $56 at box before selling out
now $35+ fees ($49 w charges) on TM.com

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:41 PM

Yeah guys, I'm sure "most of the show" is sold. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing them from the GA section.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:42 PM

They still have enough unsold seats for 2000 more skinny goth chicks, or 1400 fat ones.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:51 PM

Embarrassing

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:54 PM

they sent out this message last week. old news.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:55 PM

"(reminding people to buy tickets)"

More like praying and begging for people to buy tickets. Show is not even close to being filled. Tickets wil be had for so cheap in any part of the venue come next week. They are pretty cheap now on the secondary market. Sound is gonna suck so hard as well in that large can. What do they do though after this? Once they play the big show with not good ticket sales, they will be downgraded to smaller places from then on. Embarrassing.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:56 PM

i sold ga floor tickets for $200 each. im content

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:57 PM

I'd pay $35 to see Sigor Ros Shreds.... regular Sigor Ros, maybe I'd go for $5 if the scalpers are desperate.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 5:57 PM

Just picked up two tickets in section 106

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:02 PM

haters gonna hate. this is gonna be great.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:11 PM

Gee, I wish I hadn't paid $56 back when they went first went on sale.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:13 PM

If you sign up for this site they have discount tickets for it where you name your own price. They even have GA tickets still available. Bowery strikes again...

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:15 PM

"i sold ga floor tickets for $200 each. im content"

Sure you did troll

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:17 PM

not sold out cause tickets were over 60 for nosebleeds. 35 is better

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:18 PM

"haters gonna hate. this is gonna be great."

More like truthers gonna truth. This show will be a suckfest. Seeing this band in that shitty sounding arena is akin to eating a meal from a 5 star restaurant out of a dumpster.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:18 PM

@6:18 msg doesnt have terrible sound everywhere, depends on where you are in an arena.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:22 PM

This show will be good. The only truth on this thread is that it was stupid to pay face value when tickets will be super cheap come show time.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:23 PM

First night of Passover , great ..

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:27 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:30 PM

brooklynvegan should report douchebags like 5:57, that's the truth. off to jail w them

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:36 PM

I love SR. Fuck them for begging me to see them at that echo box.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 6:40 PM

Off to idiot school for you 6:36 for actually believing the troll. And take along clueless 6:23 with you.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 7:08 PM

Okay, I'm going to go.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 7:31 PM

You miserable, narcissistic fucks would try to be a black cloud on anyone. If reading the comments on BV ever persuaded you to not do something, you might as well cover yourself in cotton balls and walk on all fours.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 8:08 PM

"I fucking hate black people so I'm going to go to this show because they will be at Odd Future."

sorry to disappoint you, bigot, but Tyler (not Odd Future) is playing the 23rd! Sigur Ros is the 25th! Nice try...asshole.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 8:41 PM

You would have to pay me a ton of money to go to this.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 8:45 PM

$35 Suckfest

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 8:57 PM

"you might as well cover yourself in cotton balls and walk on all fours."

Sounds like something you have done with your mother

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 9:26 PM

give them away to the homeless

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 9:26 PM

i'm just curious, does anyone know if they've ever played on late night tv, letterman, fallon? would they, or do they hold themselves too high for that?

Posted by jiggy | March 12, 2013 10:37 PM

They are playing fallon the friday before this show. Which leads me to believe that they will add a second small show to boost this one.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 10:44 PM

10:44 lead you to believe? whens the last time a bowery presents msg headlining band added a small show the week before? ugghhhhh the fucking people on this thing.

also this show is gonna be great. who are you all kidding? when have they played ny and not been incredible?

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2013 11:49 PM

11:49-Many times they have done this. You are the stupid one. Yes, the band is always incredible but it is the venue this time around which unfortunately will make the show far less than great. WIth any band, sound is pretty important. With Sigur Ros, it is extremely important. Good sound and MSG do not go together unfortunately.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 7:54 AM

It does seem unlikely that they're gonna play three songs on Fallon and hang out for four days before their undersold show at MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 8:51 AM

Phish destroys the garden every time they play, sound is epic for a venue that size. Roger waters, LCD... They all figure it out and Sigur should be able to do the same. People who complain about the sound at MSG usually hit up the my chemical romance and bieber shows when they swing thru

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:03 AM

@7:54 many times? give me an example.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:21 AM

@9:21, how many times have you seen a band send out an email reminder that they're playing and to have faith the show will be good and buy tickets?

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:25 AM

ticketmaster pretty much does that every goddamn show with event reminders and artist in yr area emails

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:37 AM

i like the guitar player sigger ross the best! he is so kute!

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:44 AM

9:03, you lost me at Phish. You are a clueless idiot.

9:37, that is Ticketmaster. It is automatic. 9:25 is correct. For the band to do it is pretty telling

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:48 AM

To expand on 9:03's idiocy, to compare the type of sound made by Sigur Ros to Phish, Roger Waters or LCD Soundsystem is pretty nonsensical

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:50 AM

9:48..As a band that has been touring for many years some just want to say they played MSG. I get it..that would b an enormous notch on someones professional career. If I was in their position and I knew it would only half sell I would still do it just to have that expierence. Who knows if it will ever present itself again.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 9:59 AM

9:59

Kind of a hollow victory don't think. " We played msg but it was only half full". That's kind of pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 10:28 AM

They played basically every venue that you can up to MSG/Barclays you hipsters! Beacon, Theater @ MSG, Irving Plaza, Radio City Music Hall, Keyspan Park, Hammerstein Ballroom, and etc. What do you want them to play couple nights at Terminal 5?

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 10:29 AM

10:28 not at all..as a musician myself who played to many half filled venues or less I was thrilled if we got a handfull of paid patrons. I would be giddy if I played Bowery Ballroom and 100 tickets sold.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 10:48 AM

9:50, u are fukken brilliant! "the type of sound made by Sigur Ros to Phish, Roger Waters or LCD Soundsystem is pretty nonsensical" wow, amazing revelation right there. im talkin abt the sound quality at MSG you toolbox, if you think it sucks then go see better bands-its that fukken simple. When the sound guy has it dialed in and you are at great show MSG is one of the best large venues in the US.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:30 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:33 PM

12:33 I have seen Phish about 12 times Sigur about 6 times..Phish pre 2000 was better then Sigur Ros...now Sigur Ros is better then Phish. So it is what it is..both are good in their respective time.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:54 PM

12:33 Big Sigur ROS"E" fan, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:54 PM

Oh 12:33. You are such a die hard fan, you don't even know how to spell the band's name. With fans like these...

I was thinking a few moments ago before reading this that Phish are such an insanely polarizing band. I personally hate them, but it has very little (if anything) to do with their music. It's the "scene" which is absolutely not for me. It makes me cringe.

But, having said that, I had fogotten how polarizing my beloved Sigur Ros are too...and I do wish they would move this to Beacon or Radio City. But, I will be at MSG - paying full price - with bells on.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:57 PM

12:57 DON'T shake your bells during the silences in Vidrar! Always someone ruins it with a woo or a whistle!

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 1:05 PM

I decided to read the first comment, not ready any of the others and skip to the end. As always, you people never fail to disappoint me by arguing about some petty bullshit. When is BV gonna do Facebook connect for comments so at least we can see everyone's ugly mug next to their stupid comment?

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 5:58 PM

^ i'm not on facebook

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2013 1:57 AM

"When the sound guy has it dialed in and you are at great show MSG is one of the best large venues in the US.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:30 PM"

"9:48, im a die hard sigur rose fan and ive seen phish about 5 times. They blow Sigur out of the water 10 times out of 10. I think you are the one who is clueless

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2013 12:33 PM"

Jeezus, simply put, 2 of the dumbest motherfuckers to comment on here, Please you 2 morons just shut the fuck up and crawl back to whatever idiot place you occupy in this world.

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2013 3:33 AM