Posted in dance | music on March 26, 2013

"RIP beloved friend. I just can't believe you are gone. Will miss you terribly" - Britta Phillips

"So sad that friend #ScottHardkiss has passed on! His music and vivid memories will stay in my heart! #RIP" - Josh Wink

"Very sad to hear Scott Hardkiss has left us" - Optimo

"RIP Scott Hardkiss who made some of my all time favorite techno records and helped change music." - Tricia Romano

"Rest in Power @scotthardkiss ...you live thru your legacy #rip" - KingBritt

"RIP Scott Hardkiss a pioneer a legend a visionary man! My prayers go out to his loved ones and family!" - Junior Sanchez

Scott Hardkiss

"Scott Hardkiss (Scott Friedel), a San Francisco DJ who played a key role in the development of America's rave scene in the 1990s, has died, Big Shot magazine reported yesterday. The cause of death was not specified. Friedel was 43." [Philip Sherburne, SPIN]
Super sad news today about Scott, who, though he has tweeted since, on March 20th posted one final Facebook message that read "Friends...how many of us have them? Friends...ones we can depend on?" Rest in Peace friend.

Thanks for the post BV. I saw this news a day ago and was saddened. I've been to many great events with Hardkiss as one of the headliners. I even hung out with him a few times, and he was a great guy. R.I.P.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2013 11:18 PM

Always good vibes when the Hardkiss Bros were on the decks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 12:36 AM

This is terrible news. RIP man and keep the beats coming wherever you are. We hope it's a grand version of San Francisco on a cloud

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 6:42 AM

MDMA was deadly in the 60s, and it's still deadly now. Sad the brother went, but there's time for the rest of you rave kids (and now adults).

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 7:22 AM

^^^ What are you talking about?!

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 8:10 AM

The fact that people don't understand the effects of continual MDMA and X usage. Those both are pretty hard drugs that shouldn't be used more than once or twice a month. It does have a huge negative effect on your brain, which can cause lasting damage.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 8:51 AM

^True statement. If MDMA/X use is necessary, moderation is key.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 9:32 AM

I had a lot of great times on MDMA, but I feel like my memory is shot now.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 9:38 AM

The best for me was when I went to my friend's anniversary party, and they were fighting the whole time since they were about to be divorced, and then this guy was like, who wants some x, and then we took it and were swimming in the pool with these naked chicks, and the one lady's husband was pissed about the dogs barking all the time but then was like totally cool and then somebody was like hey, I filmed this whole piece of shit, and then nobody watched it but it does play a lot on IFC.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 10:17 AM

10:17 -- What movie is this, sounds amazing!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 11:06 AM

Anecdotal evidence suggests hummus has counter active effect on
heavy X usage.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 12:26 PM

^ hope that works out for ya (not holding my breath)

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 12:39 PM

@11:06 Might be called the Anniversary Party.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2013 1:50 PM

Um... why the insinuation drugs had anything to do with his death? That makes y'all sound like a bunch of ignorant know-it-alls who know nothing. He had a degenerative eye disease, and those with auto-immune or other diseases are often prone to other ailements. He may well have done drugs at points...maybe in excess or maybe rarely or even not at all. He was 43 & an accomplished producer & DJ. Those people are often far more into the music & the production-not the drugs. Who knows? Not you or anyone besides his friends, family & doctors. Don't make assumptions about details you don't know. Keep your hunches to yourself; frankly, its none of your business. Let those who knew &/or respected him grieve in peace. (& for the record, MDMA doesn't *typically* kill people, even years later.) I'm honestly disgusted that in googling his name I came upon this drivel. Have the conversation about your own over-indulgences somewhere else....just sayin'...know your history and have RESPECT for those who have passed.

Posted by Miss Ashleigh | March 28, 2013 6:31 PM

Back in the dry-ice-fog of early 90's London nightclubs I always used to play this Hardkiss 12". RIP Scott Hardkiss.

Posted by Bloodis | September 23, 2014 4:34 PM