Posted in music on March 19, 2013

Delta Machine

Depeche Mode, who played Letterman and SXSW last week and will be in NYC for shows in September, release their eagerly-anticipated new album, Delta Machine, next week (3/26). But you can stream it right now via iTunes.

Tags: Depeche Mode

more like delta meh-chine

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2013 10:03 AM

What year is it?

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2013 11:00 AM

four first songs are good, goes downhill form there
lyrics are beyond childish, though, wtf happened? music is very good

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2013 11:23 AM

I'm sure they will be good live but this makes 3 out of the last 4 albums that are pretty weak.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2013 3:11 PM

As a longtime fan (since their 1st singles) I have to admit they have lost all of their creativity and songwriting skills. Like the last one, no one will want to hear these songs live. They'd be better off just putting out singles and touring.

Posted by Anonymous | March 19, 2013 6:25 PM

What year is it? Musically, and in almost every aspect culturally we're caught somewhere between 1984 and 1992. Actually, there's a lot of trends also from the '60's and '70's thrown in as well. What popular culture hasn't done over the last 25 years or so is really move forward. Boldness is not currently embraced. I'm not a fan boy per se of Depeche mode or any popular music act currently but I do respect their influence. I was admittedly a fan boy of their music in high school when 101 and Violator came out, along with being a fan of The Cure, U2, Information Society, INXS, Peter Gabriel, Annie Lennox, Prince, and The Cult at that time, ha! Not that I wish to unite all 'hipsters' against my comments but I'd be willing to argue that a lot of respect or at least acknowledgement is due to a group like Depeche Mode for breaking ground during their heyday...arguably that would have really started with the album Black Celebration, Music of the Masses, and into Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion. Yes, they did borrow vividly from the likes of Kraftwerk and Bowie even, but they took the music and imagery in directions that no one really expected. They were a giant relief to many of us misfit kids at the time who didn't really fit in with the jocks who liked rap, and the girls and boys with high hair who liked motley Crüe, Def Leppard, and Metallica.

When you ask "what year is this" I might remind you that Folk music isn't new although one can move the style in new directions. Also if you do like The Knife and perhaps Fever Ray, Crystal Castles, Four Tet, Neon Indian, Planningtorock, TV on the Radio, NIN etc. it would seem that these artists owe more than a fleeting influence to Depeche Mode.

I'm getting kind of old-er now and I do like a lot of what I'm hearing from younger artists but I also feel that the boundaries aren't being pushed enough.enough by many indie artists and those wishing to dabble in the mainstream. Much of the time I'm not so interested in the typical verse -chorus pop structure anymore unless an artist does something interesting within those primary constraints. I think that's what Depeche Mode did so well and they made it seem so inventive at the same time. I heard the stream of the new album and...for a band that's been at it this long it's pretty damn good. They're not reinventing the wheel at this point but they've got a couple of new tricks up their sleeve or at least a few fresh perspectives on their many hybrid synth pop styles. Most of all, they just sound like they're having fun. And hey, old guys gotta have fun too :)

Posted by DmanDman | March 19, 2013 9:44 PM