Posted in music on April 15, 2013

by Bill Pearis

Bleecker Bob's, gates closed (via @pfpants)
Bleecker Bobs

We knew it was coming, but iconic NYC record store Bleecker Bob's closed its doors for good this weekend after 46 years in business. The official last day was Saturday (4/13) but the store stayed open till 5 AM, selling records till dawn. The space will reportedly become a frozen yogurt shop. On the bright side, the store is looking to relocate to the East Village and, according to a post on the store's Facebook, they're hoping to make it a done deal very soon. Keep your fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, someone found the original awning signage in a dumpster and is selling it on Craigslist.

While I don't think I'd been to the W. 3rd St. location in about three years, it was the first record store I went to the first time I ever visited New York and was enough of an institution to be involved in a Seinfeld episode. You can watch a clip from that, along with a documentary about the store, below.

For the Record: The Last Days of Bleecker Bob's

Frozen yogurt powers the world.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 10:44 AM

FroYo > records

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 10:45 AM

Good riddance.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 10:45 AM

I hate to say it, but do any real record collectors actually go there? Their selection was terrible and the prices were terrible too. I would drop in occasionally when in the neighborhood and the only people I saw there were gullible tourists....

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 10:45 AM

10:45 very true.

I do remember late 80's and early 90's it ws the go-to place for punk/hc vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 10:47 AM

"On the bright side, the store is looking to relocate to the East Village."

Why?

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 10:48 AM

I remember going in there for a 45. The guy slopped it on the turntable and scratched it. Then he got pissed because I wouldn't buy it!

Posted by Steve | April 15, 2013 10:49 AM

It will not be missed. What a clip joint.

Posted by Smack | April 15, 2013 11:11 AM

Honestly not sad...terrible selection, dusty. Heaven forbid you ask "Bob" a question and he helps you. Good riddens. Go to Generation or Rebel Rebel.

Posted by RipOff | April 15, 2013 11:13 AM

What is "riddens"?
I think you meant "riddance".

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 11:32 AM

beware of fro yo...it's the satan's own creation...

Posted by hubert | April 15, 2013 11:49 AM

He was the "Soup N..." of record store
owners. It was good in about 1978 when one of the members of the later day NY Dolls (later day for then anyway) worked there who actually knew and liked knew music.

Posted by anonymous | April 15, 2013 12:02 PM

Mostly missed by oldsters fawning for the old village. Not missed by folks who buy records. As for Bleeker Bob himself , the less said the better.

Posted by Blag | April 15, 2013 12:03 PM

Sergio Mendez can't even go to the bathroom in South America.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 12:03 PM

Just like an annoying guest that stays way too late after the party is over. There were SO many other good record stores in the east and west village, WAY better than BB. The best store ever was It's Only Rock N Roll when it was on West 8th Street. Venus when it was down the block was amazing too. Second Coming Records was great too. BB was waaaay down the list.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 12:04 PM

I'm still bummed about Gimme Gimme records.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 12:10 PM

I'll never forget the time I was in the area and there was an unexpected downpour. I ran into the first open store I could find. It was kind of dusty, smelled a little strange - I said (out loud, lol) "Wow, what is this place?!" A man, I guess Bob, said to me this is Bleacher Bob's Records. I was like who buys records these days!? he said you would be surprised, and then took me around the store and played different albums for me. I was having so much fun I hadn't realized that it had stopped raining for over an hour before I left!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 1:10 PM

that happened to me too, except I was in Nevada, and I happened into the Bunny Ranch. I saw these scantily clad women and was like "Whoa what is this place?" Then I went into a room and the nice lady pleasured me in various ways. I was having so much fun that I didn't realize it had stopped raining 6 hours ago and my credit card was maxed out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 1:23 PM

Bleeker Bob's sucked really bad. I mean, really bad, like donkey balls. You can ask anybody.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 1:25 PM

@ 1:23

And what happened when you woke up?

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 1:27 PM

This place was overpriced and didn't even have a great selection. Last time I was there was RSD a few years ago and they were charging double every other store in the area for the same records. Not sad to see them go.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 1:51 PM

10:45 is spot on. I vividly remember few years back there was an Aussie tourist paying a ridiculous amount for a vinyl.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 2:03 PM

I remember one time in a rain storm I ran into Mamouns. By the time I left it had stopped raining and my belly was full with a tan colored paste and I was jacked up on Phyto-Nutrients.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 2:47 PM

127

I woke so drunk and full of rage that I could hardly speak.
a fag in a whale bone corset draping his dick across my cheek.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 4:46 PM

Bought a Jackie Wilson record here two weeks ago. Store is alright by me, but Generation is easily way better.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2013 5:57 PM

Posted by YOUNG | April 16, 2013 3:47 AM

In 1970, the United States congress passed the "Clean Air Act", and established the environmental protection agency (EPA). This began a series of graduation emissions standards, and require maintenance vehicle long time.

Posted by OBDII Code Reader | April 16, 2013 4:10 AM

Sand news for the artists and for the fans. It's very sad to see such a people passing away. RIP.

Posted by Brian | July 19, 2013 7:30 PM

Bleecker Bob used to keep his dog there by his side so no one would kick his ass when he ran his mouth.

Fucking asshole always got pissed if you didn't buy something from his store haha.

The store itself was actually cool but only in the late '80s-early '90s when it sold NYC/area hardcore band demos and zines and was THE go to place for all things metal.

I think it would still be around if not for Bob's mismanagement, so good riddance to the store if it'd mean he'd still be running it.

Posted by D | July 19, 2013 9:36 PM