Posted in dance | music | tour dates on April 26, 2013

Nina Kraviz

Nina Kraviz, who released her excellent debut album last year, is going on an international tour this year which brings her to Williamsburg dance club Output on July 3 for a Blkmarket-presented show with Ben Klock and Taimur & Fahad. Tickets for that show are on sale now. Her only other US show that we're aware of is Movement Festival in Detroit. All dates are listed below (via Resident Advisor).

Nina has been making headlines lately due to her "bath scene" (pictured above) from the interview video Resident Advisor did with her last month. FACT pointed to an article by Greg Wilson about Nina over-sexualizing herself, which Nina responded to in her own letter on Facebook. More controversy arose when Crosstown Rebels' Maceo Plex offered his take on it (which he's since apologized for). And FACT published another article on the matter, which discussed sexism in music, an issue that was also publicly taken on by Grimes and by Solange this week.

All Nina Kraviz dates are listed, along with the Resident Advisor video, a music video, and her entire Facebook letter, below...

Between The Beats: Nina Kraviz (Resident Advisor)

Nina Kraviz - "Ghetto Kraviz" Official Video

Greg Wilson wrote an article about me. Well...what can I say..Thank you Greg. It's a great article and I appreciate it and I am actually really honored. But sometimes I just wanna scream into the Universe:
"Guys, are you serious"?" Aren't you not bored about this 10 times dead topic about females in the industry, the idea that any boy can do what ever he wants and it's all fine and girl needs to behave? Behave like not even put make up because "oh my god, she can't be taken seriously if she is pretty and feminine-means if she is her self" Since when, guys? Please don't put me in your marketing box. I don't even have a manager. I refused them all. I do what I wanna do. And actually I am the most well behaved dj ever. Who doesn't take any drugs(and I've been djing for 10 years now) who is professional and true to her self. Who never played a single record to please anybody. And stop with this snobism really. Its old fashioned. Even though I was in a fight with RA because they didn't want to remove some episodes after following me for 3 days non-stop I found it a bit too focused on me as a female. They wanted no talks about acid techno, dance mania and all that they wanted it because they knew it would create a little mess. Of course. Finally the removed a lot but even after that the innocent and in my opinion lovely shoot in the bath makes you mad. So funny.This video is about dj on the road. And djs take baths sometimes. The party in Bulgaria was on the beach. So you wanted me to be on the beach in winter cloths? Just not to be miss understood? Since when wearing a swimming suit on the beach is too much? Ha? And the last thing. In the video I said "being a female in the industry is not easy sometimes because all relationship turn into distant relationship". For many people I am just too real. But if you think I am gonna change because you don't feel it or because you are full of cliches and sexism. You think you can control people and tell them what they should be. No, sorry it doesn't work this way with me. I am producing, exploring, digging for records since ages, sharing music with people -all by my self. I have my right to be who I am and you can like it or not. I love my job and I am just too real for some of you. You think there must be a mistake. There must be something wrong. But no there is isnt'. You can't control artist and their creativity. Sexism and all similar bullshit must die. And the first step to it is to let artists be who they are regardless of their gender, skin color, sexual orientation ect.. People cliches are for those who have less crafty brains. I hope one day you will find your self on the other side of the road. God bless you all. [- Nina Kraviz]
Nina Kraviz -- 2013 Tour Dates
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 Arpa Showcase 11 at Womb
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 MAI ASIA MUSIC FESTIVAL" at ​Maishima Sports Island / Osaka, Japan
Fri, 3 May 2013 Smalltown at ​Brown Alley / Melbourne, Australia
Sat, 4 May 2013 Spice Black at Red Bull HQ / Sydney, Australia
Sun, 5 May 2013 Sunday Bowls at Bowler Bar / Brisbane, Australia
Sat, 18 May - Sun, 19 May 2013 Weather Paris Festival at Several Locations Between Paris and Montreuil / Paris, France
Thu, 23 May - Fri, 24 May 2013 Sankeys Ibiza 3D - Opening Party 1 at ​Sankeys Ibiza / Ibiza, Spain
Fri, 24 May - Sat, 25 May 2013 Tief presents Underground Quality Label Night, Jus Ed, Aybee, Estaban Adame at ​Corsica Studios / London, United Kingdom
Fri, 24 May 2013 Audio presents Nina Kraviz at ​Audio / South + East, United Kingdom
Sat, 25 May - Mon, 27 May 2013 Movement Detroit 2013 at ​Hart Plaza / Michigan, USA
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 Planet E Meets This and That at Esferic Bcn / Barcelona, Spain
Wed, 26 Jun - Sun, 30 Jun 2013 Celtronic Festival 2013 at St. Columb's Hall / Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Sat, 29 Jun 2013 Awakenings Festival 2013 at ​Spaarnwoude / Amsterdam, Netherlands
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 Blkmaket Membership at ​Output / New York, USA w/ Ben Klock
Sat, 6 Jul 2013 Astropolis #19: Nuit de Clôture at ​Manoir De Keroual / West, France
Sun, 7 Jul - Mon, 8 Jul 2013 Love Family Park 2013 at ​Mainwiesen Hanau / Frankfurt, Germany
Fri, 19 Jul - Sat, 20 Jul 2013 Dour 2013 - Day 2 at ​Plaine de la Machine à Feu / Belgium
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 Global Gathering 2013 at ​Long Marston Airfield / Midlands, United Kingdom
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 The Party Unites: Week 9 at ​Space / Ibiza, Spain

I thought that scene was ridiculous when I first saw this. When RA does another of these artist exposé, they should do the tub scene with a male DJ, because, you know, there is nothing better than seeing your favorite DJ taking a bath.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 2:23 PM

If you're an attractive female, and you really think your physical appearance didn't help advance your career at all, then chances are you're kind of kidding yourself. Whether inadvertant or otherwise, it's how the world views you, and it affects your success. Everyone enjoys looking at attractive things/persons, and as a result people are inclined to keep them around more than unattractive things/persons, given all other things being equal.

I really don't mean to sound sexist, I'm sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 2:24 PM

(Almost) summer Friday in the blogosphere

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 2:29 PM

Everybody prefers a fat homely DJ, right?

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 2:51 PM

It's only sexist if she's naked.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 2:53 PM

If I could exploit my sexuality, I would. Looking in the mirror though, I can't.

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 3:56 PM

I'd Hit It

Posted by El Capitan Obvi | April 26, 2013 5:24 PM

Classy

Posted by Anonymous | April 26, 2013 7:39 PM

lenni kravitz in a bubble bath espousing the ills of sexism.....????

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 12:29 AM

You all lust after her taut, curvaceous, body, but you cannot conceive of grasping her thoughts. Like a pack of drooling dogs, the lot of you. The only thing I have to say to you all is that you will NEVER possess Nina Kraviz. Your primitive myopia proves that all white american males are stupid and impotent. So try to rape her with your words. It just goes to show that she, one lone woman, is stronger than all of the rest of you combined. A nation of half a billion meat-eating warmongers, with a nuclear arsenal, and yet none of you can DJ with a fraction of the brilliance that Nina Kraviz has. You have wasted your lives and now the rest of the world can see you for exactly what you are. Absolutely nothing. So turn off your computers, leave your parents' basement in its Nebraska pig sty, get in your non-hybrid monster truck, and drive off a cliff, because everything you have ever done or said is of no worth whatsoever, and that's all that it, you, and everyone you know could ever be.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 12:58 AM

I still think they shouldn't be allowed to show couples in bed together on television. This is a family show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 1:35 AM

Lucy and Ricky Ricardo couldn't share a bed because of people like you. I think that means that you should share part of the blame for their divorce.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 7:39 AM

Nice girls this

Posted by Ortiz | April 27, 2013 12:20 PM

I'm trying really hard to figure out if 12:59 is satire or not

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 12:35 PM

LOL 12:58 sounds like the kind of person that anyone even close to Nina Kraviz wouldn't dare even look at for more than a few seconds. Satire or not.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 1:12 PM

What's wrong with being sexy?

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 2:04 PM

nothing's wrong with being sexy, but there's something wrong with being sexy and pulling the 'don't call me sexy or act like it affects my career at all' card - it's a stupid card to pull.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 2:35 PM

This reminds me soo much of that flashback in 30 Rock where that mega cute assistant is a dj, and she had a gig.

Otherwise, music is some kind of generic. This music is literally all T&A in the most superficial way possible. Sorry y'all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 5:11 PM

Grimes and Solange are delusional hypocrites who balk at any acknowledgment of their privilege. How pompous for Grimes to assume that male electronic musicians haven't been faced with similar pressure to beef up their live shows? Solange seems to be taking after her sister -- their egos simply can't withstand anyone crediting their songwriters. Was Grimes being sexist for listing "everything Dev Hynes wrote"

Nina, on the other hand, is a prideful dj (a vinyl elitist who probably doesn't hold laptop jockeying art school kids like Grimes in very high regard) who also justifiably doesn't feel the need to be prudish. She's a radical for thinking she should be respected for her experience touring and mixing and not some hyped up kid who's been screwing around with Ableton for a few months.

Sexism is too real and devastating and pervasive problem to be used to inoculate oneself from all criticism. It's the entertainment industry. Would anyone give a fuck about Nico Jaar if he were a fat, balding IT specialist at a community college Nebraska? Instead of willfully denying that being exotic-looking and sexually desirable contributes to popularity for women, let's focus on how much it helps men too.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2013 7:00 PM

I'd love to suck on her toes.

Posted by Velvet Don | April 28, 2013 6:34 PM

@7pm you're really blurring the definition of 'sexism' - it seems like you're just talking about physical attractiveness as a whole. in which case, yea: if you wanna be famous as a stage performer, maybe make yourself look like something other than a land monster.

your music needs to be straight fucking incredible for you to be respected while still performing in your pajamas and shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2013 7:12 PM

I heard her DJ, she was train wrecking every mix.
Truly has a lot to learn.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2013 8:53 PM

23 comments of re-fucking-dick-u-lus-ness

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2013 10:27 PM

She once came to my house and ate an ENTIRE hummus platter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2013 11:33 PM

What can I say? I'm cut to the chase.

Posted by glopsprung | April 29, 2013 7:17 AM

Nina I love you! Kiss. Awesome, Super, Yeah!!!

Posted by Ernestine | May 14, 2013 5:32 AM