Posted in music | pictures on May 20, 2013

photos by Dana (distortion) Yavin

Will the woman who lost a small baby please come to the stage...

GoogaMooga

Two days after their appearance on Fallon and one day after they headlined Wellmont Theater in Montclair, the Flaming Lips played a 6:15pm set in Prospect Park as part of the first day of the second year of GoogaMooga (which ended up not having a third day). They want on in the light after the Darkness and before Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Here are some pictures, the setlist and video from their set. It all continues below...

Flaming Lips - You Lust @ GoogaMooga

Silver Trembling Hands
Try to Explain
Race for the Prize
You Lust
One More Robot
Sympathy 3000-21
Heroes (David Bowie cover)
Riding to Work in the Year 2025 (Your Invisible Now)
Turning Violent
All We Have Is Now
Always There, In Our Hearts
Encore:
Do You Realize??

Their set was the most disappointing thing I saw at GoogaMooga. Sound was horrible, performance had no energy at all and the 6:15 start time wasn't helping.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:26 PM

That was a disappointing set. I haven't seen them in concert in a pretty long time, but this felt lethargic and moody. Wayne wasn't the same energetic, fist-pumping front man that I remember. Maybe it's age, I don't know, but it was a bummer.

Posted by LLP | May 20, 2013 12:28 PM

what is that setup.. people behind the fence and the 2 girls with all that real estate .looks f**ked up..

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:30 PM

they played the wand??? i thought the lips were trying to forget that awful album.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:31 PM

Cut him some slack, he was fucking melting.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:32 PM

Absolutely the worst Lips show (hopefully of all time, for their sake). Wayne's vocals were extremely raspy - not a single high note was it & the songs were plodding/murkily slow. Due to the early set time, the light show was a total bust. The rest of the band seemed to be on horse tranquilizers. As a fan, I'm sorry to have to report these truths.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:32 PM

nice yeah yeah yeahs tattoo, you fucking tool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:34 PM

was he really holding a baby?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:38 PM

Yes, everything was slooooow and draaaaawn out. And the new material didn't translate well at all to the setting.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:40 PM

That set literally killed my night. I was so anxious for it to get exciting, like the times I had seen them before and it just never happened.

Posted by erik | May 20, 2013 12:44 PM

12:38 it was a baby doll

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:45 PM

I bought my ticket to see the Flaming Lips, not really caring about YYY's.

Well I was pretty pissed off I dropped the money until the YYY's blew the Flaming Lips away... and again I wasn't that huge a fan. God bless Karen O for validating my ticket purchase.

Seriously... what the fuck was with that Lips performance? Weak.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:45 PM

Everyone person who has commented so far wasn't either there or watching the show from the beer tent. They sounded great and I love their new stage set up. The only downfall was for them to play during the daylight. Dumb idea.

ps Why did YYYs only play for 70 minutes when they were given 90 minutes...

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:48 PM

12:48 - you're in denial.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 12:50 PM

That tattoo is really bad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 1:01 PM

@12:48 - Clearly, you are incorrect.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 1:05 PM

1250 and 1248 if you guys were there then what celebrity did wayne talk about during their set.

I bet you guys can't even answer it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 1:10 PM

I was in the front. Sound was good there. New material is terrible. Their stage setup restricts their movement, so I'd blame that and the daylight if you were disappointed.

Well, that and the viewing stage setup is fucking terrible at this thing. Weird barricades everywhere - most people are really far away with the band playing to empty space in front of them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 1:36 PM

Thought new stuff like "Try to Explain" and the "Sun is Rising" song actually sounded great, but it was the older stuff that they seemed to be drawing out for some reason to fit the droning that didn't work, especially with the festival setting.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 1:48 PM

I don't remember what celebrity Wayne was talking about, but I do remember him asking everyone to wave to the planes coming in. And he kept talking about how the summer officially started with their set. Is that enough?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 1:58 PM

The Heroes cover was awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 2:21 PM

Why would anyone pay to go to a festival named GoogaMooga? Better yet, why are any of you even alive?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 2:32 PM

I agree with the negative commentary. I've seen them several times before, this was a poor performance.

I thought maybe there were sound issues as it seemed like they didn't always know where to go next in the song. Maybe it was just from trying to fit it in better with the new material.

Glad to know it wasn't just me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 2:48 PM

Jersey show FTW

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 2:54 PM

The new album is phenomenal. The old stage show was stale, and the change is welcome. I just wish they'd played after dark so the light show would have been visible.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 4:00 PM

I feel embarrassed for the people who went this.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 4:22 PM

4:00 that's why there are s select number of movie critics, restaurant reviewers, etc out of the majority of people.

Most people are sheep. The small group of people that feel the need to post criticism out of the majority that don't care one way or the other are usually the ones that care about things a little more.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 4:28 PM

"Whiners are always loud and first to comment, but they're never actually a majority"

Though I don't know you, I wish that you would get hit by a car. I hate people like you. The "haters gonna hate" morons. What you said above is just so damn stupid. According to you, everything is great and fantastic and nothing ever sucks. Well nothing that you think is so great. Truth is the Lips performance was very sub par. I would venture to guess that all the people around you having a great time are not what i would call seasoned concert goers. People without a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 4:56 PM

Commenters on this website are horrorshows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 4:57 PM

@4:56 - All that the above comments show is that at least ten people out of thousands disliked the show. Whiners are always loud and first to comment, but they're never actually a majority. Everyone around me was having a great time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 4:59 PM

Someone above (4:56) wished another commenter here would be struck by a moving car before professing hate for them. THIS was his or her means of disproving the argument that "haters gonna hate"?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 5:01 PM

Worst concert I've been to in years. If you liked the show, then you'll like anything.

I love the Flaming Lips and have seen them multiple times. At least two of their shows are in my top 5 of all time... this was a major disappointment on every level.

People who write detailed critiques are not haters, idiots. Haters are people who come on here and just say: "F the Flaming Lips" without context.

You only need to look at the pictures above and compare them to the ones from the Wellmont to prove my case. Crowd at Wellmont is thrilled -- the set is a bit stronger and the lighting is amazing. Crowd at Googa Mooga is bored -- the set is stiff, lifeless, and the material is not really meant to be performed live in a mid-day festival setting. It's sluggish, no matter how good you think it is. Even a song like Race For The Prize was slowed down to the point where it lacked almost all of the beauty of the studio version. And that's just sad.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 5:08 PM

I'm just glad they didn't play "Vaseline," as that one brain-dead a-hole kept shouting for up front. Pulling the sexist card here, ladies, so watch out: What a dumb bitch. Gosh, why are people so fucking stupid? Wait, don't answer that -- all I have to do is read these comments! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by Jimbone | May 20, 2013 5:50 PM

2:32 - Fuck you. Your parents would have been well advised to abort you. Show was eh.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 5:53 PM

It's time for Wayne to cement his legacy and OD

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 5:56 PM

4:22 - Thanks for picking up the mantle.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 5:58 PM

goddamn---their new record blows. it's a lazy affair that never goes anywhere. thanks for phoning it in.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 6:04 PM

90% of the comments above were writtwn by the same fat middle age loser I saw watching the show from outside the fence with the bitter sour puss. Why so sour, puss?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 6:30 PM

To the internet sh*tstains complaining: not every show needs to blow your minds, you f*cking babies. A mediocre Lips show (which this arguably was) is better than no Lips show at all. And if you weren't into it, then you should have gone to get a drink or eat some food and stop complaining about not getting the lifechangingly transcendant show you mistakenly think you were owed.

If you gave an actual sh*t about seeing a good show, you would have purchased tickets to the New Jersey show the night before, which melted my and everyone else's faces off.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 6:31 PM

6:30 I love you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 6:58 PM

I get it. Their new album is a moody, trippy masterpiece, and they re-worked a set that would put all the new songs into a broad sweeping yet coherent context. HOWEVER, I was there, and like the fat middle age loser who posted 90% of those anonymous comments; I have seen the Lips play nearly a dozen times over the years and this WAS the most low-energy show they have ever put on. The sound was to blame as well. Things were amazing sounding a couple of hours later for the YYYs. I have to agree with CG on this one: "Yeah Yeah Yeah's won that round. Sorry Wayne!"

Posted by Jay | May 20, 2013 10:37 PM

Wayne needs to cut out this new-age bullshit and strap on a guitar again. Him just standing there and occasionally lifting a doll was lazy as fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2013 11:34 PM

Big surprise: You are all wingeing twats.

They are doing something new. And it isn't working well.

You pieces of shit would be crying just the same if he were in the hamster ball... "Oh that old ball routine He should kill himself"

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2013 12:59 PM

To everyone who hated the set did you even hear the new album?

Posted by Lerxtt | May 22, 2013 11:24 PM