Posted in music on May 6, 2013

The National @ PS1, 5/5/2013 (via @brooklynvegan Instagram)
IMAGE

How much sorrow can a person take? Well if it's The National's song, "Sorrow," there was probably at least one person who was at PS1 yesterday, not counting the band, museum staff, etc, who stayed for the entirety of their six-hour performance where they played that one song over and over. One hundred five times, to be specific. It was part of an installation by Icelandic artist Ragnar Kjartansson titled "A Lot of Sorrow." Did you go? How much "Sorrow" could you take? Anyone make it for the whole thing?

The National's presumably less sorrow-ful concert at Barclays Center with Youth Lagoon is coming up on June 5 and tickets are still available. Their new album, Trouble Will Find Me, is out in two weeks (5/21). The band also just added some new tour dates and those are listed, along with a few videos from the PS1 performance, below.

The National - 2013 Tour Dates

$ = w/ Local Natives

Tags: The National

Artist's Den!

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:25 AM

Set List?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:27 AM

Did they even play different versions of it?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:32 AM

Were they passing out pillows for anyone that wanted to stay more than 3 minutes? Not that I could imagine anyone actually wanting to suffer through a whole song by this band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:32 AM

I can't believe resources were wasted top ut this show on.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:33 AM

@10:27, Here's the setlist:

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:34 AM

^ Damn they really covered most of their material

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:37 AM

The one the played at 3:25 ruled... I didn't like the 3:30 version that much

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:38 AM

so his voice is now shot for this tour?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:42 AM

That dude who shouted out sorrow during the song breaks. They kept playing his request!

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:48 AM

This goes down as one of the dumbest things in the name of "art."

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 10:49 AM

I can't speak for the whole 6 hours, I was there for the last 4, but I don't think they deviated much from the song on the record. I thought it might turn into a jam session at some point, and there were times when more sparse versions of the song were played b/c of bathroom breaks and whatnot, but for the most part, you could always recognize what song was being played. At some point I think Matt gave some wine to some audience members but he didn't jump into the crowd ever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:04 AM

Bjork was there. That must mean it was legit art. Haha.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:05 AM

I think Matthew Barney was there too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Why?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:13 AM

I don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:18 AM

Bunch of Hacks

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:40 AM

genius. PS1 and the national are the perfect pairing for redundant pointless art.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:46 AM

what was the encore?

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 11:57 AM

No joke they actually got off stage and came back on for an encore of Sorrow. It was actually kinda funny.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 12:13 PM

did they play the extended mix, too?
that goes on for about 8 hours.

Posted by anonymous | May 6, 2013 12:52 PM

mumble rock

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 1:07 PM

I think the whole thing is kinda hilarious! I wish I'd seen a few minutes of it in person.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 1:13 PM

What was the second song they played last night? I enjoyed that one and am not sure what it was called. I don't have many of their albums.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 1:16 PM

i did the whole six hours.
whether you love or hate this band (and i know, brooklyn vegan readers LOVE to shit on the national, before you LOVED to not shit on the national), here is the deal.
i'm getting up in years, i have seen kevin seconds and rollins, and HR, and fill-in-the-blank go fucking mental FOR AN HOUR. and i'm not slighting that. but to do this for six hours, if you were there, and watched the whole time as i did, this was FUCKING INSANE. they played non-stop for SIX HOURS. love them (you don't) or hate them (you do) this was an experiment in endurance and they passed.
so you can brunch-rock-dad-band-whatever-the-new-shit-on-them-deal-is all you want, but when your favorite band plays for six hours, non stop, i will not show up to knock the dick out of your mouth on a music blog.
xoxo

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 2:34 PM

Phish played a 8 hour set at Big Cyprus in Florida...that is endurance!

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 2:38 PM

@2:34, nothing you said in that long winded nonsensical diatribe sways anyone from not thinking you are a complete idiot

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 2:47 PM

@2:34, it was "endurance" in the sense that no one fell asleep standing up while playing that boring song over and over again.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 2:57 PM

Well said 2:34pm!

The sudden change in opinions some have had for this band stems primarily from the fact they are getting (deservedly) famous. If they were playing Pianos or some place smaller, those same people would still love them.

Of course, they fail to acknowledge that all these "indie" bands like all want to achieve the success of the National, contrary to their idealistic vision of artists.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 3:06 PM

@2:34 - Bruce Springsteen played for 3 hours and 45 minutes at Metlife Stadium last September. He's also 62 years old. He also didn't just play the same lame song while basically standing still for the duration of the show. That show was way more impressive than The National droning on for 6 hours in a museum. I actually like a couple of The National's records, but you've got to be kidding yourself if you think this was important/significant/impressive in any way whatsoever.

Also, anyone who went to this thing for 6 full hours on what was a beautiful spring Sunday is a fucking loser.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 3:30 PM

2:34 maybe you missed the millennium when Phish played from Midnight until sunrise.
Same endurance test except they never repeated a note.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 3:59 PM

Any way you slice it, this is a gimmick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 4:39 PM

That's one fuck of a long brunch. Hope the server added in a mandatory 18% gratuity to these dicks for hogging the table so fucking long.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 6:42 PM

Why is there footage of this...

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 8:17 PM

They couldn't even get Sufjan out for one or pull any tricks out to make this a little more interesting? Lame.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2013 9:18 PM

This was one of the most amazing shows I've ever been too. You go to hundreds of shows, which I have, which most of you have, you don't want to experiment with what it's like to listen to the same song on repeat for 6 hours, change up the formatting for once? And the versions varied, like any show the energy shifted and built and that was really interesting, and the guitar parts changed and it was fucking awesome. when I emerged from that dome it was like entering a different planet and I had eaten the song.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2013 2:00 AM

How much sorrow can a person take?

Posted by may loc nuoc | May 7, 2013 2:38 AM

Posted by dawn | May 7, 2013 8:27 AM

"I was there, front and center, for the entire 6 hours. with my son. and the only thing that would have made it more perfect would have been if it was on Mother's Day, because I was in ecstasy. and Matt poured the wine for me. and then handed me the bottle to pour it for everyone else. I'll take that over the Eucharist any day. my kind of church. and all the snarkiness from all the haters is just that they don't get it. too bad for them. thanks Ragnar. thanks MoMA PS1. thanks mostly to the band. namaste."

Your son will require a lifetime of anti-depressants.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2013 8:37 AM

The reason people don't like these guys is that they're boring. They weren't boring around the time of Alligator, but now they are. Boring. Boring. Boring. They're good though which makes it somehow even more boring.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2013 1:43 PM

I liked this band better in the 1980s when they were called R.E.M.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2013 1:46 PM

I'm glad the National still has the style they do. alot of bands tend to turn to shit the more they get famous. But these guys are cool.

Posted by Nellie | May 12, 2013 5:08 AM

I think I've listened to Sorrow for six hours straight in the past. Live would be that much better.

Posted by Arnett | September 29, 2014 2:00 PM