Posted in music | pictures on May 28, 2013

photos by P Squared Photography

Tom Petty

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers kicked off their 5-night run at the Beacon Theatre last Monday. They wrapped up on Sunday (5/26). We posted pictures and the setlist of night 1, and pictures of night 2 (5/21) are in this post along with setlists from every night

The setlists have been similar each night, with all five shows kicking off with a cover of The Byrds' "So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star" and including many of Petty's big hits like "Refugee," "Runnin' Down a Dream," "American Girl," and so on. He's also been doing a few other covers each night, including the Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil," which you can watch a video of below.

The full setlists for nights 2 through 5, along with more pictures and videos of night 2, below...

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - "Friend of the Devil" at Beacon Theatre - 5/21/13

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - "Here Comes My Girl" at Beacon Theatre - 5/21/13

SETLIST: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers @ Beacon Theatre, 5/20/2013
So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (The Byrds)
Love Is a Long Road
I Won't Back Down
Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)
Cabin Down Below
Good Enough
I'm Not Your Stepping Stone
A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)
Billy The Kid
Tweeter and the Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys)
Rebels
To Find A Friend
Angel Dream
Willin' (Little Feat cover)
Melinda
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
Encore:
You Wreck Me
Carol (Chuck Berry)
American Girl

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at Beacon Theatre - 5/21/13 Setlist: (via)
So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (The Byrds cover)
Love Is a Long Road
Here Comes My Girl
When the Time Comes
Green Onions (Booker T. & The MG's cover)
The Best Of Everything
I Just Want to Make Love to You (Muddy Waters cover)
A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)
When a Kid Goes Bad
Saving Grace
Tweeter and the Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys cover)
Rebels
Wildflowers
Friend of the Devil (Grateful Dead cover)
Crawling Back to You
It's Good to Be King
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:
Listen to Her Heart
American Girl

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at Beacon Theatre - 5/23/13 Setlist: (via)
So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (The Byrds cover)
Love Is a Long Road
Don't Do Me Like That
Something Big
Nightwatchman
Good Enough
House In The Woods
A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)
Have Love Will Travel
Tweeter and the Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys cover)
I Want You Back Again (The Zombies cover)
Rebels
Walls
Angel Dream (No. 2)
Willin' (Little Feat cover)
Mystic Eyes (Them cover)
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:
You Wreck Me
American Girl

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at Beacon Theatre - 5/25/13 Setlist: (via)
So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (The Byrds cover)
Love Is a Long Road
Listen to Her Heart
Baby, Please Don't Go
(Joe Williams' Washboard Blues Singers cover)
The Damage That You Done
Takin' My Time
(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone (Paul Revere and The Raiders cover)
A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)
Saving Grace
I'd Like to Love You Baby (J.J. Cale cover)
Tweeter and the Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys cover)
Rebels
Two Gunslingers
Wildflowers
The Image of Me
Friend of the Devil (Grateful Dead cover)
Melinda
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream
Encore:

You Wreck Me
American Girl

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers at Beacon Theatre - 5/26/13 Setlist: (via)
So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (The Byrds cover)
Love Is a Long Road
Honey Bee
Born in Chicago (Nick Gravenites cover)
13 Days (J.J. Cale cover)
The Best Of Everything
Cabin Down Below
A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)
Spike
Tweeter and the Monkey Man (Traveling Wilburys cover)
Rebels
Time To Move On
Down South
Girl On LSD
Willin' (Little Feat cover)
It's Good to Be King
I Should Have Known It
Refugee
Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:
Listen to Her Heart
American Girl

Thorough review of a rock and roll legend! NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by anonymous | May 28, 2013 4:37 PM

Looks like the Grim Reaper.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 4:40 PM

The setlists have been similar each night

WRONG if you guys know anything about reporting the music of Tom Petty youll know that shows with only 6 or 7 repeats out of 22 songs is definitely not similar for them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 4:47 PM

and so on? there were two other petty songs that were played each night- did you even read the setlists? and so on? you should have said he played "these 5 hits, but apart from that, he mixed it up with many rare tacks, interesting covers and some songs not played live for over 30 years"

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 4:50 PM

Decaf, guys. Its not that important.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 5:04 PM

These setlists, by the standards of 98% of touring bands, were wildly different each night.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 7:13 PM

5:04 nailed it

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 7:28 PM

Disagree w 5:04/ 7:28

May seem a bit trivial to some but it's important to get an accurate account of what and how it was played. 4:50 nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 8:21 PM

Haha. It's funny when hippies get angry.

I share the boredom of whoever wrote that paragraph and feel for him that he was forced to cover this.

Probably a good deal for scalpers, though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 8:23 PM

437-450 Definitely not the kind of people I would want to go to shows with. I'm 54 and I find Tom Petty boring. Believe it or not he was considered by some "new wave" when his 1st album came out. Refugee changed all that!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 9:46 PM

this was a total shit "review." photos weren't great either. considering that the jangly guitar sound so many brooklyn bands try to simulate was pioneered back in the day by the byrds and tom petty, sites like this really owe the dude a little more respect. you don't have to be a huge fan, but this coverage is a fucking joke.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2013 11:36 PM

They didn't play Mary Jane's Last Dance at all?!

Posted by John | May 29, 2013 2:02 AM

I saw all 5 nights. I'd suggest you do whatever it takes to grab a ticket to the LA residency. Once in a 10 year (at best) opportunity to see this band in a small venue.

Obviously whoever wrote the review above didn't see any of the Beacon Shows.

Posted by Lern | May 29, 2013 3:58 AM

PS, very few hipster douchebags from Brooklyn at the shows.

Boy I hate Brooklyn. I take the L out there once in 5 years, if I have to.

Posted by Lern | May 29, 2013 4:01 AM

Who cares if BV covered the shows or did not cover the shows, what is accurate or inaccurate? Whatever. You went, you enjoyed it and now you have memories. I went two nights, both great. It's not as if you have to drum up support for Tom Petty, he would have sold out 20 nights.

Could have done without "Mystic Eyes" though...but I'm being picayune.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2013 9:40 AM

Great coverage of a great band that just keeps going. This really takes me back.

Posted by Jay S | May 29, 2013 10:32 AM

Only went to the last show. Good set, though a little heavy on his bluesy stuff rather than some of his 70s songs I wanted to hear. Either way, fun show and cool to see him in a place that's not a giant arena.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2013 11:14 AM

9:40 - 20 nights? Not at those ticket prices...

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2013 1:20 PM

@ 1:20 I call poetic license. He would have sold out "many" nights, certainly more than 5.

And I don't care how much you try to tart it up, Mystic Eyes blows as songs go. :)

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2013 9:16 PM

I like Mystic Eyes.

There is no doubt whatsoever TP would have sold out 20 nights at The Beacon. Just like he sold out the Filmore for 20 nights. The scalpers on site at The Beacon were getting $300 for rear Orchestra and $350-400 for close. I met a guy Sunday pre-show that paid $700 from a secondary source for two upper balconies ($54 each face value). There was heavy demand, small venue, and money being made. The TP crowd aren't the hipsters sleeping on the streets of Brooklyn eating Vegan food.

PS, the photos above are awful. The stage lighting was really pretty and these photos don't capture it at all. Also the close-ups make it look like Tom had to take a dump the entire show.

Posted by elsy | May 30, 2013 12:55 AM

The guy is amazing and the band fenomenal. No wonder they get 5 nights of full house.

Posted by Correspondente porto alegre | May 30, 2013 7:08 AM

"who cares if BV covered the shows or did not cover the shows, what is accurate or inaccurate? "

Right. Who cares about facts. Who cares about reality. Who cares if the earth is warming or not. Everyone can just invent their own reality because it's the Internet age. Horah!

Posted by Lemon | May 31, 2013 4:25 AM