Posted in music | tour dates on May 8, 2013

Zero Boys at Fun Fun Fun Fest 2011 (more by Fred Pessaro)
Zero Boys

It came out of nowhere in 1982, this punk rock/hardcore fireball with the bright yellow sleeve. In one sense, The Zero Boys' Vicious Circle was yet another example of how U.S. punk seemed to peak coast to coast that year. But unlike most coastal punk, the Zero Boys were pointing the way to a scene that could accommodate heaping helpings of melody, intelligence, and rock 'n' roll sus, not just turbo-charged ferocity.

From 1979 into '83, the Indianapolis based ZBs were the finest hardcore blitz in the Midwest if not all the lower 48 states. Proof is Vicious Circle and the two decades since of copyists, bootleggers, practitioners and reunion concert pogoers.

Though before and after that LP's 1982 release they recorded the Livin' in the 80's 7", songs for three comps and released the post-mortem History Of... cassette revealing their transformation into a toured band warming to the metaphysical and their demise while still waving torches of rock 'n' roll panache

Indiana punk band Zero Boys have reunited off and on since the 90s, including Fun Fun Fun Fest 2011. Now the band has not only the new Pro Dirt EP on the way via 1,2,3,4 Go Records, but also promises dates in the US and Europe. An NYC show has emerged; look for the band to join forces with Night Birds on August 29 at Europa. Tickets are on sale.

All currently know tour dates are listed, along with a stream of "Monkey Meat" from the new EP, below.

===

ZERO BOYS - 2013 TOUR DATES
FRIDAY 14 JUNE 2013 Siberia New Orleans, LA, US
SATURDAY 15 JUNE 2013 The Earl East Atlanta, GA, US
FRIDAY 28 JUNE 2013 Metro Chicago, IL, US
THURSDAY 29 AUGUST 2013 Europa Brooklyn, NY, US

Negative Approach was/is the best hardcore punk band from the Midwest (MN, WI, IA, MO, IL, IN, MI, OH) ever, don't even argue.

Can promoters give it a fucking rest with Night Birds already? They the ONLY band from around NY/NJ who goes with bands like Zero Boys? No, so give other bands a chance.

Posted by D | May 8, 2013 10:38 AM

I hate to agree with D, but he's on point about Night Birds. They literally get added onto any NYC punk show with an older/reunited band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 10:53 AM

@D - Yes, NA were one of the most incredible hardcore bands from the Midwest, but no the only. Detroit's Fate Unknown, Bored Youth, and Maumee, Ohio HC pioneers, The Necros, put on some of the most amazing shows back in the 80's. Having seen the reunited N.A., they pale in comparison to their hot shit lineup of 1982-84 with Chris (OP) Moore, and the McCulloch brothers, Rob and Graham.
The Midwest was brimming with amazing hardcore and punk bands. Naked Raygun, The Meatmen, Libertines, Die Kreuzen, The Fix, Violent Apathy, Articles of Faith, Zero Boys, The Pagans, Pere Ubu, Rocket from The Tombs, Detroit's L-7, The Allied, and so many others. And Iowa had an incredible amount of bands that nobody got to see.
Zero Boys put out some of the defining vinyl of the midwest punk scene. That is if one cares to go deeper than the better known HC scene.
BTW, I grew up in the Detroit area and was privvy to the early days of Detroit HC.

Posted by Fortyver | May 8, 2013 11:04 AM

Zero Boys are great. Along with the Jackson 5, one of the few great acts from Indiana.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 11:58 AM

Altered Boys should be on the bill instead of Night Birds.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 12:25 PM

Fortyver - I was there in the Detroit HC scene right along with ya and agree with almost everything you're saying except that I think bands like Pere Ubu and Rocket from The Tombs seem a little out of place in this discussion. Let's replace them with Toxic Reasons (whom for some reason never seem to get their historic due), Ground Zero and Effigies. By the way, who were Libertines? Never heard of a midwest hardcore band by that name...only a Britpopish band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 1:26 PM

Who is playing in Zero Boys at this point?

Also, I can not think of a single show where Night Birds opened for an old band, let alone "any NYC punk show with an older/reunited band"

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 1:54 PM

@1:26 PM -
Agreed re. Pere Ubu/Rocket From The Tombs, but I was cutting a broad swath of the punk and pre-punk roots of the great Midwest stew. I should have added the Dead Boys as well.
I can't believe I forgot Toxic Reason and The Effigies, who are incredible.
The Libertines were a early punk band from Cincinnati, who never got their due as well. I saw them at the Big Takeover anniversary shows a few years back. They were perfect. I think their is a compilation of Libertines output on iTunes. I am sure it is available on CD. But you can have a quick taste.
I think my overall intention was to highlight some of the incredible punk bands who get overlooked due to the higher profile of the hardcore scene.
BTW, I grew up with The Necros. Have known them all since 6th grade. I am old-ish.

Posted by fortyver | May 8, 2013 5:11 PM

fortyver - I'm 1:26. Obviously we're not gonna trade real names on here but I probably know you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 6:29 PM

you dipshits wanna know why Night Birds are on every bill? because they work their fucking asses off, writing new songs, touring, promoting local shows, and opening for out of town bands who know of them for all the above reasons. you don't like it, start your own fucking band or shut up.

Posted by keith marlowe | May 8, 2013 6:38 PM

just started a band called Or Shut Up

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 10:29 PM

Will the re-united Tar Babies be on this bill? Or The Crucifucks?

Posted by Anonymous | May 8, 2013 11:37 PM

...somthings gotta be done...with the pope...and the president...and the big rockstars who made a lot of money yeah....

Posted by Ida | May 11, 2013 12:30 PM