Posted in music | pictures on June 7, 2013

photos by PSquared Photography

Guns N' Roses @ Brooklyn Bowl, 6/6/2013
Guns n Roses

Axl Rose's current version of Guns N' Roses  did indeed play Brooklyn Bowl last night (6/7), an impossibly small venue for the band who will headline Governors Ball on Saturday (6/8). Taking the stage fairly close to their scheduled set time (they went on at 11:20 PM), the band (which still includes former Replacements bassist Tommy Stinson) opened with two Appetite for Destruction numbers, "You're Crazy" and "Welcome to the Jungle."

According to a poster in MyGnRForum.com, the set was cut a bit short due to Axl having some tummy trouble and "he apologized for not giving a lot of energy and said that he was doing his best not to throw up." Despite that, GnR still played a 20 song set, wrapping it up with "Paradise City." Did you go last night? Was it worth the $150 ticket?

You can check out video of "Paradise City" and a couple other songs, plus the set list and lots more photos from Brooklyn Bowl, below.

GUNS N' ROSES - "Paradise City" @ Brooklyn Bowl, 6/6/2013

GUNS N' ROSES - "Civil War" @ Brooklyn Bowl, 6/6/2013

GUNS N' ROSES - "Estranged" @ Brooklyn Bowl, 6/6/2013

Guns N' Roses @ Brooklyn Bowl, 6/6/2013 (via)
You're Crazy [electric]
Mi Amor [DJ Solo]
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Nightrain
The Seeker
Jam
Paradise City

Its just sad at this point.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:28 AM

I assume Don't Cry, November Rain and Patience were cut?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:29 AM

He was out of breath and nearly had a heart attack during Nightrain.

I think it was more trainwreck than night train

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:29 AM

yeah, two middle fingers. what douches.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:33 AM

I loved the guitar solo during songs for the dead!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:34 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:37 AM

What happened to his cornrows and throwback jersey?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:38 AM

Pop quiz...
What was the last hit song Axl Rose wrote?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:43 AM

Tommy Stinson is a whore for money.

Posted by JT | June 7, 2013 11:45 AM

Hit the fucking treadmill, Bill.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:45 AM

tummy troubles? must have been the cornuts...

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:47 AM

"I still say Axl is awesome. I saw the Roseland show and loved every minute of it. It's not classic G N R, but so what? I'm not seeing "classic" QOTSA tonight, but everyone is super pumped about it anyway. Axl gets a bad rap. He's a legend! And he can still sing! And so what that he's put on a few pounds. The man is 51 years old! I'm certainly not as trim as i as in my 20s, which is how we all remember Axl. (Though strangely, Duff looks better than ever....go figure.)"

QUOTSA has basically always been Josh's project with a rotating cast of characters. Guns N Roses flourished because they had a team of talented members and songwriters (see: Izzy Stradlin). Now it's just some fat loser who can't sing and a bunch of old nerds.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:48 AM

11:38 where is your trapper keeper and your ti-83?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:48 AM

Axl looks like he has to take the biggest dump!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:49 AM

@11:37 - Josh Homme is 10 years away from becoming the next Axl Rose. QOTSA are not just Josh Homme just like Guns n Roses were not just Axl. Axl doesn't get a bad rap. The dude has not offered anything of worth in the last 20 years. $150 to see a train wreck of leather, ink and shitty music.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:49 AM

RE: 11;43:
2008- the single Chinese Democracy was a #1 single...in Norway...

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:50 AM

It's really not G'n'R without Buckethead

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:53 AM

Did he dump backstage during the guitar solo? Anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:53 AM

They actually opened with FOUR "Appetite for Destruction" numbers.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:56 AM

worth every goddamn penny

Posted by TrampStamp | June 7, 2013 11:56 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:57 AM

I just think the photographer needs to learn how to edit down to like 25 pics

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:57 AM

I once had a nasty stomach ache from eating Spoiled hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 11:59 AM

that show rocked.

"From sold out stadiums around the world to playing the local bowling alley.....fkn pathetic."

You are an idiot. They sold out MSG last tour and could do it again if they wanted to. This show was a warm up for Governors Ball.

Posted by shacklers revenge | June 7, 2013 12:00 PM

nice double chin

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:01 PM

hahha 11:57, they did a small venue before headlining a festival-real pathetic. You really have your finger o the pulse of the NY music scene

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:03 PM

lol axl is fat

Posted by StampTramp | June 7, 2013 12:04 PM

You're better than this, Tommy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:07 PM

Best G'n'R linup ever.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:07 PM

guys a legend. Slash was G&R but the guys he has now are technically absurd guitar players. They crushed it last night and axl can still hit everything. Gotta love the hate from BV-I mean they are no lower dens but still a solid act

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:07 PM

Pop quiz...
What was the last hit song Grimes wrote?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:16 PM

@12:07PM - Absurd is the right work, but its not usually a compliment. Here is a bit of the absurd that I think you meant...

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:18 PM

Who can blame Tommy for getting the payday the Mats deserved but never got? The guy's gotta eat (maybe not as much as Axl, tho).

Posted by Anonymouse | June 7, 2013 12:19 PM

Maybe Carl McCoy could give Axl a few fashion tips?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:21 PM

There is zero chance this was as much fun as the Mr. Brownstone show a few weeks ago

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:21 PM

i smoked blunts with lana del ray in the mens room. it was alced with pcp, she kept ranting about blue ribbon better not run out of fried chicken or axl would never play brooklyn again

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:30 PM

Need more pics. Can't really get a feel for the show from these.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 12:32 PM

I know 12:07 didn't just bring Lower Dens into this.....

Posted by Anonymal | June 7, 2013 12:34 PM

weird that nirvana guy was at the show heckling axl still after all these years

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:02 PM

It was actually a lot of fun. The guitar players were great as was Axl. Kind of funny to see Tommy playing with them. But hey, everyone's gotta pay the bills.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:09 PM

"QUOTSA has basically always been Josh's project with a rotating cast of characters."

THIS. I like that you all remember Grohl drumming in the 'No One Knows' music vid, but QOTSA has never had a set band aside from Josh Homme. So no comparison.

Also feel really bad for the GNR fans who shelled out $150 and got this partial setlist. They didn't hold back the hits for their last 'intimate whatever cash grab' tour, we got November Rain/Don't Cry/etc.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:14 PM

Tony Clifton.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:17 PM

Honest question - did they do the reggae part of Knockin on Heaven's Door?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:23 PM

how many fucking guitar players do they have on stage?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:27 PM

I did not know that Guns n Roses is a pulsebeat on the NY music scene these days, I need to eat more hummus

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:33 PM

In a move of sheer brilliance, Axl Rose has finally replaced himself in the current lineup of Guns N Roses making Dizzy Reed the last almost original member in the band. So who is that fat guy in the Crocodile Dundee hat who is singing for them??????

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:40 PM

My wife rocks...

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:41 PM

@1:40 you are a complete douche canoe. Axl has been the last original member since Izzy left the band. Slash and Duff and Adler all came after the orginal lineup.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:44 PM

One in a Million
Lyrics by A. Rose

(Whistle)
Guess I needed sometime to get away
I needed some piece of mind
Some piece of mind that'll stay
So I thumbed it down to Sixth and L.A.
Maybe a Greyhound could be my way
Police and N****** that's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Gold chains today
I don't need no bracelets
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket; 'til then
Won't you cut me some slack?
You're one in a million
Yeah, that's what you are
You're one in a million, babe
You're a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
You know we tried to reach you
But you were much too high
Much too high, much too high,
Much too high, yes, ow!
Immigrants and f******
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran,
Or spread some fuckin' disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all Greek to me

A true legend.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:50 PM

Where's Izzy?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:50 PM

My GnR tribute band is 10x better than the real thing. Come see 'Immigrants & Faggots" at Rumjacks in Tom's River next friday!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:55 PM

Shitty pics. No editing. Find another job.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 1:57 PM

@11:48 AM next to my Pogs and my virginity. in other words, right here.

-hummus

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 2:16 PM

dude definitely has an appetite for...wings

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 2:22 PM

Awesome!

Posted by Marcus | June 7, 2013 2:23 PM

"Shitty pics. No editing. Find another job."

You are an idiot

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 2:28 PM

2:22 thats why he played live and let die!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 2:31 PM

This could have been cool, but honestly, $150 is just obnoxious.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 2:35 PM

$150 is for Axl's inflated white trash ego

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 2:36 PM

@1:14 - You except for Mark and Nick....Yea, there never any other regular band members...except for Mark and Nick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 3:09 PM

i love it when a band has one original member and uses the band's original name

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 3:09 PM

3:09, hey it could be worse... Foreigner has toured with 0 original members, when Mick Jones got sick. Rather than cancelling gigs, Mick hired someone to replace him on tour.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 3:33 PM

Slash on drums. Shaved his head in disguise.

Posted by Rok Anne Rohl | June 7, 2013 3:37 PM

At least he's not performing songs with the Black Eyed Peas. Fuck Slash.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 3:45 PM

follow @wheresaxl on twitter. Axl live tweeting from brooklyn. pretty funny fake account

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 3:46 PM

I was there bowling last night. I had no idea it was GNR. Thought it was some awful cover band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 4:15 PM

@4:15 then you're dumber than every other idiot on here. You paid $150 and "thought it was a cover band". GTFO

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 4:23 PM

So basically no one here ponied up the $150 to see THIS show, hence a comment board filled with bad attempts at comedy and/or nostalgia.

Point Proven.

Posted by Buckeet List | June 7, 2013 4:24 PM

"This could have been cool, but honestly, $150 is just obnoxious.
When the Rolling Stones did a small club in LA last month they only charged $20."

Yeah um.. how much were those Barclays Stones tix? exactly.

Posted by schacklers revenge | June 7, 2013 4:34 PM

@2:28

No you're an idiot if you think any of that crap is even remotely good. Terrible angles, terrible compositions, stupid expressions,
and no artistic value whatsoever. Crap.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 4:55 PM

3:33, they're not gonna do that at citi field are they?!?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 5:00 PM

Bring back Jim Marshall!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 5:02 PM

Stinson is a whore for doing this and his brother wouldn't approve or care for this shit at all.

Replacements could have stayed together a little longer if they didnt have their infighting also.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 6:35 PM

not enough pics

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 8:58 PM

Stinson's gotta eat.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 9:22 PM

Stinson... hmmmm, let's see, he has solo records. heard em? bought any? do not like them?

hmmm., the cute boy the girls went goo, goo, ga, ga over in the early 80's. Star power? The Replacements were the darlings of Minneapolis. What else would you expect anyway?

hmmm.. Bob passed. He brother died man, give him a beak on that one at least.

Fav. Mats songs:
takin a ride
kick your door down
don't ask why
kids don't follow
fuck school
dope smokin moron
color me impressed
nowhere is my home
the ledge
left of the dial

Great tunes, nuff said.
What have you done lately?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2013 9:41 PM

Hi there 4:55, who I suppose is also 1:57. While I never respond to troll comments, I feel like I'll make an exception in this case for you. First let me say thanks for the comments. Thank you also to 2:28 for their comments as well. I guess I would have to initially say that I would love to see the photos you took of the show or any photos you have taken. I will assume there are none because it would be silly for me to think you might be a bitter jealous photographer pissed off that you were not able to shoot last night. That would be a waste of time so i'm quite certain that's not the case. Moving on, you should know that I am far more critical of my work then you could ever be. Having said that, I am very happy with the way the photos came out last night both composition and angle wise. I would have loved to have shot from other angles but it was impossible due to this not being a traditional photo shoot for more than one reason. As for the facial expressions and artistic worth, you are going to have to direct comments on those to the band. I'm sure Axl and the gang are excitedly waiting to hear what you have to say. Thankfully, people whose opinions really matter to me aka other photogs and artists as well as general other people have gotten in touch today to express approval.

In the future, if you have any more comments you would like to make, feel free to click the link on my name up top either below the title post or under my sign in. You can reach me at either. Would love to hear from you or anyone else. If you think you see me at a show, don't hesitate to come and say hello and talk as well. Again, thanks for the comments and keep checking out all my future photos. Have a great day/night and an even better tomorrow.

P.S. I love Jim Marshall also. Had the pleasure of meeting him, brilliant at his craft. Wish he was still with us as well.

Posted by Psquared Photography | June 8, 2013 12:21 AM

Sorry, not sure why my email did not link under my sign in. Let's try that again. My email is psquaredallmedia@gmail.com if you want to get in touch

Posted by Psquared Photography | June 8, 2013 12:27 AM

I dressed up middle aged white men in butt flap pegged pandts and spiked studded leather jackets with spiked hair piercings and tattoos. Now they look just like the teenagers they pay to lick the balls on. Don't try to front Axl Slash Buff and Diggy are all a bucnh of gumps. They are just like Lou Perlman but with metal heads instead of boy bands. These young headbanger dudes think they are getting a record deal so they go backstage and get drugged only to wake up to Axl sucking and rubbing on top of them. He told them that nobody would believe them anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2013 12:30 AM

you know guitars that are like, double guitars

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2013 2:11 AM

@ Psquared,

You seem like a lovely person, sorry if my criticism sounded a bit harsh. I'll give you the lighting wasn't great, G'n' R are not the most photogenic bunch around, you were in a bad position, and they wore hats/dark clothing which didn't help. But that particular body of pics are not all that great.

I find most Rock and Celeb photowork to be mostly pretty vapid and boring, noteworthy
only because the subject is someone famous. Annie Leibovitz, Albert Watson, Mick Rock,
Jim Marshall are the exception to the rule.

Artists who I think do stunningly original work are Daido Moriamya, Andy Warhol, Duane Michaels, James Welling, and Floris Neususs to name a few.

Better luck next time.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2013 10:38 AM

Psquared - since the lighting sucked you should have limited you selection. I see a few nice shots but a bunch that really shouldn't have been posted.

In regards to gnr they have Lways been crap rock.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2013 10:59 AM

I'm shocked to find this to be one of the worst comment sections in BV history...I was quite sure Axl Rose would be the catalyst for civil, intelligent online discourse.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2013 11:16 AM

as a fellow music photographer i can safely say that yes these pictures aren't that great (arguably due to lighting) and no you should not have posted so many shots. most other publications make you limit photos to 15 or 20, which should easily be enough, especially when it's only one act you're covering.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2013 11:51 AM

I'm glad these old pros are still rocking.
Not a laptop or sequencer in sight: real rock and roll without a computer to hold your hand, kiddies.

However, Axl does look like Tony Clifton Axl now.

Posted by JamesonJames | June 8, 2013 1:53 PM

if some dude looking like a tranny backed up by the line at the sunset strip methadone clinic is real rock and roll, ill take the computers and sequencers holding my hand thanks.

Posted by axl blows | June 9, 2013 12:04 PM

@ 12:04

FTW !

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2013 1:17 PM

"Pop quiz...
What was the last hit song Axl Rose wrote?"

I don't get this. What is the last hit song Eddie Vedder wrote? OR AC/DC or Metallica or Bon Jovi or any late 80's/ early 90's megaband or anyone before that either? It's been a good 15 years for most of them.

And they've all been trying a lot harder than Axl.

Why is Axl Rose the only guy who gets criticized because his band "isn't what it used to be"?

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2013 1:22 PM

Great setlist. It's too bad Axl needs to hide under that hat all the time, but if he can still belt the vocals out, all is well.

Posted by James Moore | June 9, 2013 5:18 PM

Anon trolls are Anon trolls.

Ignore the dbag, psquared. Those pictures are great.

@11:51, if you really are another photographer then you are gutless. Have the balls to attach your name, so everyone can see what you do or contact the person directly.

Posted by Anonymous | June 9, 2013 10:56 PM

@ 10:56

"Anon trolls are Anon trolls"

said the anonymous troll.

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2013 9:52 AM

Haven't heard this since Kerrang music channel turned shit. My opinion.. this is Slashs solo thriumph

Posted by Kendall | September 20, 2013 10:37 AM