Posted in music | tour dates on June 13, 2013

Hawkwind

Heavy prog favorites Hawkwind will tour the states for the first time in close to twenty years, roping in support from Perhaps as part of an overall North American campaign, according to MetalKaoz. The shows will commemorate the 1975 release of Warrior on the Edge of Time, and you can celebrate in NYC at Gramercy Theater on October 13. Ticketing info is on the way.

Hawkwind dropped more details on the tour at their Facebook:

At the helm of the group is leader and founding member Dave Brock, alongside long serving members Dead Fred, Tim Blake, Richard Chadwick, Mr Dibs and Niall Hone. This is Hawkwind's longest standing, most stable line up in the band's history... Hawkwind will perform the album in its entirety along with classic tracks selected from their 40+ year history. The tour will include a full light show, cosmic space dancers and psychedelic projections and is sure to be a far out experience.
Who doesn't love cosmic space dancers. All dates and a stream of that record is below.

=====

October 24 - Austin, TX @ Mohawk
October 25 - Dallas, TX @ Granada Theater
October 26 - Houston, TX @ Fitzgeralds

Tags: Hawkwind

no lemmy?

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2013 12:27 PM

This should be cool, but Gramercy Theatre is the worst. Terrible sound, and what 500-cap venue has a barrier?

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2013 12:33 PM

Should have just done Bowery Ballroom or Lit Lounge.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2013 1:07 PM

12:27 = dummy. No nik, no hawk.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2013 1:41 PM

This is the real Hawkwind not one of the second rate tribute bands pretending to be Hawkwind. Nik Turnip was only in the band for a couple of years but was sacked for sqwaking all over everyone else and playing out of tune. He has spent the rest of his life living off the reputation of the band he has constantly tried to destroy. Hawkwind have been going for over 43 years and the current line up is the longest serving and stable lineup in it's history.They now have real musicians in the band led by Dave Brock founding member,Richard Chadwick ( second longest serving member)Tim Blake (Gong) Dead Fred (Inner City Unit, Krankshaft)Mr Dibs (Spacehead, Krel) Nial Hone (Tribe of Cro)
They also have amazing dancers and psychedelic light show......So Do Not Panic This is Hawkwind !!!

Posted by jimdread | June 13, 2013 3:43 PM

^Excellent analysis. I've seen Nik Turner four times in the US including the notorious 1994 tour with Sleep, and he is a wonderful performer and an important ex-member of this band. That said, this is indeed the real Hawkwind and I'm sure that those of us that make the effort to see any of these shows will not be disappointed.

Anybody who suggests that Lemmy might be involved is very uninformed about Hawkwind.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2013 4:04 PM

The first time I heard Hawkwind, I was impressed by the way they had the sax and vocals at once. I appreciate that all the more now, due to the sheer number of complaints about it I've read over the years. It actually works (maybe in a subversive way), and anyone who can't grasp that is too narrow minded about music for me. I also like Gong (a hippy love band) because of how they evoke such hatred towards themselves.
It's a different band now, but they've always embraced some form of change. I hope Brock is up to doing this whole tour, the time is right for the band to get the financial rewards they deserve. I wish that I could drop everything and become a nomad to attend every show. It's just too bad that there aren't any big festivals on this tour, for the countless bands Hawkwind have inspired to have a chance to share a stage with them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2013 3:45 AM

Lay off the ex-members... they're not "tribute bands", they're spin-off bands staffed by time served ex-crew of the mothership. Admittedly, Nik Turner's attempt to get the name 'Nik Turner's Hawkwind' copyrighted was WAY below the belt and a step too far, but 'Hawklords', 'Space Ritual' and particularly Alan Davey's 'Psychedelic Warlords' are great spin-offs and well worth seeing. That said, yes, THIS is the real Hawkwind with their most stable line-up ever and they're frickin' immense. They have great character in this line up... particularity the legendary Tim Blake. If you're an American, you CANNOT miss this... you just might not get another chance as, without being too much of a doom monger, the band and name will likely die with Dave Brock... and he just aint getting any younger. Sorry, but that's just how it is. Beg, borrow or steal to go and see one of these shows.

Posted by Hawklord71 | June 14, 2013 5:49 AM

Great to see this here. It's about time that hipster take note of an originator. I seriously hope this tour gets the promotion it deserves! I attended the last NYC show it was not sold out. I don't understand how every review I read of a band even slightly trying for some sort of psych sound and Hawkwind is name dropped. SpaceRock was a bad word 20years ago let alone the hatred still shown towards the word progressive. Show up turn up bring your friends this is your chance to see the real mccoy!
Space Is Deep

Posted by anonymous | June 14, 2013 12:13 PM

this is the one and only true hawkwind dont miss this tour and remember do not panic

Posted by darkstar | June 15, 2013 3:59 PM

I'd rather see that Hawkwind spinoff band, goes by the name of MOTORHEAD!

Posted by Anonymous | June 15, 2013 4:34 PM

FYI, Actually Hawkwind Toured the Usa in 2007. Saw them at Europa in Brookyn, before that it was around 1997 that the full band played at Coney Island High and the Strange Trips fest. Nik Turner also played late 1990s at those and in 2001.

Posted by spacerocker | August 21, 2013 6:34 PM

Hawkwind did three shows in the US in 2007- Bethlehem, Allentown and New York. Not really enough to qualify as a US tour as they are doing this fall.

Posted by Anonymous | August 21, 2013 7:07 PM

Have loved the band since 79, The comment about preferring to see motorhead was by Anonymous so that says a lot. Sure, motorhead was related but a totally different band, sound, crowd, meaning and Head trip. Daves insight into the future of the world and his strength to say it opened many eyes to the truth about how things work in society, to this very day. Look at Right to Decide, Sonic Attack, etc. I have always loved the truth of Gov'ts intents in his lyrics. I am a road musician/Bass player and appreciate the band, founder and members. Still like Huw's leads in the early and mid years defining the Hawkwind Essence better. If they ever need a bass player, I'm there in a heartbeat, money or not, for its not about the money, but the music. . .

Posted by Bill Freeland | September 15, 2013 1:43 PM

Whenever I hear´╗┐ this I am mentally transported back to 1974 freaking out to this in Cheltenham. With my lughole flat against one of da speakers! I ended da evening wid onehelluva nosebleed and my lugs were screaching for two days after. Heaven man I want transverse back in time......

Posted by Jillian | September 21, 2013 1:33 PM

Most hawk fans know since the warrior album it hasn't been the same . Brock fired everyone and hawk wind became mellow and lost that wall of sound that was so great . Original members are great
.All of them . Nil turner wrote hawk wind great anthems " master of the universe " and " brainstorm " and the music is never been the same without his sax . Nil turner with Simon house on the " gypsy " lp , hawklords with Adrian Shaw and ron tree are more 1972 hawk wind era sounding .

Posted by larry | October 4, 2013 10:10 PM