Posted in hiphop | music | tour dates on June 24, 2013

Rakim at West 147 in 2011 (more by Brook Bobbins)
Rakim

In addition to the Seaside Summer Concert series, Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz also presents the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series at Wingate Field (Brooklyn Ave between Rutland Rd and Winthrop St), and that series is also returning this summer with free shows every Monday at 7:30 from July 15 to August 19.

Shows this year include Rakim, Whodini, Big Daddy Kane, and Chubb Rock (7/22), Gladys Knight with the O'Jays (8/19), and more. Full lineup below...

Martin Luther King Jr. Concert Series -- 2013 Lineup
July 15 - Kenny 'Babyface' Edmonds, Joe
July 22 - Rakim, Whodini, Big Daddy Kane, Chubb Rock
July 29 - Marvin Sapp, Israel Haughton and the New Breed, Christian Cultural Center Choir
August 5 - Morgan Heritage, The Kes Band, Mighty Sparrow
August 12 - Toni Braxton
August 19 - Gladys Knight, O'Jays

Whodini?!!?! Amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2013 4:22 PM

You might want to edit the August 5 show: it's KES THE BAND, not The Kes Band. Thanks!

Posted by The Jaded NYer | July 2, 2013 11:14 AM

Rakim is going to shut down Wingate Park.

Posted by Sean Felder | July 6, 2013 1:15 PM

These are going to be the best concerts

Posted by melissa | July 22, 2013 4:54 PM

Chubb Rock DIDN'T rock! Rakim & Kane saved the night, in spite of the rain! 80's true school finest.

Posted by Dee | July 25, 2013 4:21 AM

Greetings,
I have a press pass , is there a press section at this event?

Rudy Collins

Posted by rudy collins | August 14, 2013 6:07 PM

How do you get put on the vip list cause the lines are really long tryin to get into the park and I can't stand on my feet to long so I'm. Trying to find out how I can still continue to come see the shows at the park this was my frist time I came and it was very nice the only problem was the line but I hope they keep this program going even if marty is not here let's keep this going with marty's help even if he is not in office he did a wounderful job in Brooklyn he turned it up

Posted by mimi smith | August 20, 2013 11:49 AM

KING OF RAP FOREVER!!!!!! Along with a few others. Rodney O & Joe Cooley were pretty Dope, but none is like Rakim!! Dana Dana, and Slick Rick were pretty unique too. Big Daddy Kane, Ghetto Boys, Beastie Boys, Melly Mell. There is a big list that goes on. KRS 1, UTFO, EPMD, Run Dmc. Etc. None is like Rakim!!!!!!

Posted by Caylee | September 26, 2013 2:16 PM