Posted in music on June 17, 2013

by Andrew Sacher

DOWNLOAD: Speedy Ortiz - "No Below" (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Speedy Ortiz - "Tiger Tank" (MP3)

Speedy Ortiz at Big Snow - 6/15/13 (via BrooklynVegan Instagram)
Speedy Ortiz

After catching Chance the Rapper at Europa on Saturday (6/15), I finished my day 3 of Northside Festival at Big Snow for the Exploding In Sound showcase. The place had already hit capacity by around 9 PM (not an everyday feat for Big Snow), and every band I saw was pretty great. The similarly styled stop-start post-hardcore of Grass Is Green and Two Inch Astronaut (who were playing much of the material from their new album, Bad Brother, out this week) was totally on point. Not only do both bands have the chops for their sometimes-technical sounds, but they've got a ton of power on stage too.

One of the main attractions of the night was Speedy Ortiz, whose debut album, Major Arcana comes out on July 9 via their new label home, Carpark Records. Speedy's a great band recorded, but they bring even more rage live. Singer Sadie Dupuis screams more, their guitars ring with layers of distortion, and guitarist Matt Robidoux ended up crowd surfing at least once. They have a great time on stage too. Performance stuff aside, one of the most memorable moments of the show was the drummer singing "Started From the Bottom" and then dedicating their next song to Yeezus.

And though Speedy was the fastest-rising band on that bill, there was tons of love for headliners Pile. The whole crowd became a push pit, with crowdsurfers knocking into Big Snow's light fixture, and anyone looking to "watch" the band standing on top of whatever amp or couch they could find lining the venue. The band sounded great too, straddling the line between indie rock melodies and punk intensity. Their 2012 album, Dripping is a good (and underrated) one, and a recommended listen if you haven't checked it out.

Unfortunately, I missed the earlier bands at Big Snow on Saturday. If you were there, how were they? You can catch Speedy Ortiz in NYC again when they play their record release show at Death by Audio on July 5 with a great bill of Roomrunner and California X. Updated Speedy dates are listed, along with streams of their recent singles, below...

Speedy Ortiz - "No Below"

Speedy Ortiz - "Tiger Tank"

Speedy Ortiz -- 2013 Tour Dates
Jul 05 Death by Audio Brooklyn, NY w/ California X, Roomrunner
Jul 06 Great Scott Allston, MA
Jul 11 Magic Stick Detroit, MI
Jul 13 Neverland Chicago, IL
Jul 16 Czar Bar Kansas City, MO
Jul 18 South Broadway Arts District Denver, CO
Jul 28 Soda Bar San Diego, CA
Jul 29 Last Exit Live Phoenix, AZ
Jul 31 The Conservatory Oklahoma City, OK
Aug 06 529 Atlanta, GA
Aug 08 Milestone Club Charlotte, NC
Sep 05 Hopscotch Music Fest Raleigh, NC

The lead singer of Speedy Ortiz is obviously blowing someone at BV. Such an underwhelming band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 4:35 PM

or perhaps you're just an asshole. i was at the show it was amazing. maybe the best show i've ever been to.

Posted by dan | June 17, 2013 7:13 PM

if that was best show you've ever been to, it's probably the only show you've ever been to.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 7:48 PM

The Anonymous at 4:35 is obviously ass full of cum since he so intensely despises women. Such an underwhelming misogynist.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 7:59 PM

yes, all chicks who succeed must suck dick. and all BV comment trolls get sucked never.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 8:10 PM

PILE

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 10:28 PM

This band fucking blows. Stop talking about them already.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 10:47 PM

I saw Speedy Ortiz randomly at Popfest and they came across as totally amateur. Songs are boring and forgettable. I'm sure they are all lovely people though. And I'm sure the lead singer had never sucked a dick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 10:50 PM

Wow... slow the hate people, jeez. To answer your question, Andrew, the earlier bands were quite good. Porches always delivers a solid show, the lead singer from Fat History month did a pretty nice electrocoustic set, Hive Bent was heavy as hell (and honestly stole the show for me!), and Ovlov's sound was much improved compared to the last time I caught them at Big Snow (I think they solidified a great live lineup, especially the drummer). All in all, great show. Thanks to the dudes who run Big Snow for being awesome as always.

Posted by Shaking Hand | June 17, 2013 11:12 PM

saw this band at popfest and then at north side, thought they were the best of both lineups. the drummer is incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2013 11:33 PM

speedy owns and pile digs graves. simple as that.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 12:07 AM

came for ringo cum for speedy

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 2:05 AM

Speedy Ortiz street team is all riled up now. Quit defending your friend's crappy band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 8:31 AM

Not sure if anyone has said this yet, but SPEEDY ORTIZ SUCKS FUCKING DICK.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 9:11 AM

It's too bad these threads are rarely used to have any actual dialogues. No one cares if you like/dislike speedy ortiz or any other band, but if you're going to be negative take the 30 seconds to articulate an opinion instead of just wasting everyone's time being an asshole. if you don't like something, don't follow it.

Posted by Fax | June 18, 2013 9:20 AM

Well, I wanna go to the next Speedy Ortiz show to see which unflattering outfit the lead singer will wear.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 9:31 AM

Seriously, the drums sound like garbage on those recordings.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 9:33 AM

@9:20 -- You're right. Instead we should all write paragraph-long comments about articulating opinion... you know, without articulating music-related opinions of our own. You're the reason trolls thrive on this site.

Also, fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 10:08 AM

Don't forget about the 7 other bands that played. I'm sure there's something they are doing/ not doing right/wrong that's worth spewing resentful arbitrary bullshit at while you wait for your dick to stop bleeding between punishing masturbation sessions.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 10:13 AM

show ruled though

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 10:19 AM

lol at same commenter writing differently formatted negative bullshit within minutes of his last bullshit.

speedy ortiz rules. mike's a great drummer and the recordings are equally incredible. too bad a lonely dumbass in need of a therapist wants to hatefuck sadie so bad he needs to reload this site every 10 min and spout further desperate idiocy. guess that's why speedy's an active band getting deserved press and attention and anonymous troll is an anonymous troll.

go speedy go!

Posted by lee | June 18, 2013 10:37 AM

Lots of defensive comments on this board. Most negativity on this site goes unaddressed. Must be some particularly sensitive family/friends of the band on here today. That's cute!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 11:01 AM

Ovlov's set was real serious. Made my week. Porches. were amazing. Sean playing solo was unreal. Glad History Month is the greatest.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 11:02 AM

I once made the mistake of listening to Speedy Ortiz's shitty-ass version of "music," and I must say I was impressed by this show. Impressed that the singer pulled the cock out of her mouth long enough to do a whole set! OOOOHHHHH!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 12:29 PM

Wow, really walked into a buzzsaw here with all this acrimonious commenting. Anyways, just wanted to come here and add my two cents: Speedy Ortiz is the worst live band I've ever seen. They legitimately suck the fattest cock in the entire world.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 12:37 PM

"speedy ortiz is my favorite band" -- jeffrey dahmer

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 12:39 PM

is a speedy ortiz like a dirty sanchez?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 12:40 PM

i hate myself and i want to troll

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 12:41 PM

i saw this band live and they sucked so bad i took a shit on the floor and smeared it on the walls. i pray for the day when satan takes me away from this land of terror.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 1:31 PM

i was at this show. i was the guy vomiting all over the floor throughout every set because i was so flabbergasted by how anyone could call this "music." maybe these atheist communist delinquents should tune their guitars before they start playing. hey band, what you spend on production? 5 cents? play this shit when the kids arrive at the doorstep for halloween candy. they'll be sure to run screaming.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 1:43 PM

@12:41 Us trolls don't do this cuz we hate ourselves. Quite the opposite, actually. We love ourselves and find ourselves hilarious. I, personally, think that I'm by far the funniest person I know. And to be honest, it's getting reactions like yours that make it all worthwhile.

With that said, I'd just like to offer up that the singer of this band smears feces on her tits for a living... AND LIKES IT!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 1:49 PM

If it hadn't been for Two Inch Astronaut, 9/11 would've never happened. They are a disgrace to this entire nation. Pile? more like PILLS, as in the prescription medication my wife makes me take to forget they exist. why dont these guys make music like john mellencamp? back when music was real we didn't put up with bullshit like this.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 2:00 PM

this music is very offensive to me. convicted sex offenders have feelings too.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 2:13 PM

Yeah, they seriously blew at Popfest. I was also at that show to see Ringo Deathstarr and Speedy Ortiz was so bad that I had to walk out. Just sloppy and boring. Plus, the lead singers voice gave me a headache. I hate that Marisa Paternoster-like wobble that girls do when they can't actually sing.

Posted by Chase | June 18, 2013 3:40 PM

I saw them at Popfest too and yeah they sucked. I think it just annoys people that they get so much press and are obviously a bunch of minimally talented kids with a good publicist.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 3:48 PM

How old is the chick? Like 35?????

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 3:51 PM

I took this bish home from a bar once and pulled a speedy ortiz on her.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 3:54 PM

totally would

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 9:30 PM

She looks twelve. No tits. But okay, would.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 9:36 PM

Spoiled rich white kids with shitty sounding guitars. Who cares? I might let the girl lick my ass though.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2013 10:39 PM

Wow! I'm so glad I found out about you guys! Wonderful dude

Posted by Kenzie | September 22, 2013 5:43 AM

Really enjoy this performance. You guys are great, come play in Wilmington, NC!

Posted by Roselyn | June 3, 2014 7:37 AM