Posted in music on July 15, 2013

Cassette Store Day

Record Store Day has been going strong since its inception in 2008, giving hipsters, record collectors and even regular people a full day to indulge in the nostalgic album format. But as even some Record Store Day releases have proved, vinyl isn't the only past format that has made a comeback in recent years; cassettes have too -- because lo-fi fans need their albums sounding just a little more lo-fi (or it's the only way their '89 Honda Accords play music). And in honor of those cassette fans, this September 7 will be the first-ever -- wait for it -- Cassette Store Day. A description reads:

No longer the inadequate, younger sibling of Vinyl and CD, the humble Cassette has been making a resurgence of late. Proving that cassette tapes are not just for those of us who remember buying Nirvana's 'Nevermind' with birthday money, or making lovingly compiled mixtapes for the object of our teenage affections. International Cassette Store Day 2013 is a celebration of a physical product that is accessible, fun, cheap and still going strong in the turbulent current musical climate.

This event sees limited releases from its organisers -- SEXBEAT (Fucked Up), Kissability (tbc), and Suplex Cassettes (Fair Ohs, Proper Ornaments); as well as classic albums reissued in this fun format by Transgressive (At the Drive-In, Pulled Apart By Horses), Bella Union (The Flaming Lips), Domino (The Pastels), 4AD (Deerhunter), Wichita Recordings (Hard Skin), Burger Records and many more. Other labels involved spreading the Cassette love with limited releases are Jade Tree, Mirror Universe, Reeks of Effort, Art is Hard, Faux Discx, and Tie Dye Tapes and more to be confirmed.

In addition to its London Launch (which features live performances and DJ sets instore), there will also be similar events run in record stores in Los Angeles, New York, and Tokyo amongst other UK, US, and EU cities.

The specific stores that will be involved will be announced next week. Stay tuned for that and more info on other CSD events and specific releases.

Dumbest idea ever

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 1:31 PM

I'm down with this, as long as the cassettes don't cost more than $10. Some labels get the concept that cassettes are cheap to make, and only charge $6 for an album, but then there's others who take advantage of it being a "trend" and want $15 for one when you can guy the vinyl, CD and digital for less.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 1:40 PM

any tape over $5 is overpriced

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 1:43 PM

You gotta be fucking kidding me. "Cassette day"? You can't even argue it "sounds better, mannnn" because of that annoying hiss. Plus you can't pick up/drop the needle, press skip, etc. Your dumbass has to fast forward and rewind.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 1:46 PM

It doesn't get more gimmicky than this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 1:49 PM

This is fucking dumb. Everyone threw out their boxes of cassettes for a reason.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 1:58 PM

It's a decent (cheap) alternative to vinyl for smaller labels, but for everyone involved here it is pretty pointless. Not going to get too upset about it though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 2:03 PM

I for one love listening to cassettes and was still buying them before it became a novelty, as anyone who enjoys listening to an album from start to finish knows that the needle drop or skip function doesn't matter in this case. My only balk at this is that some albums just don't need a cassette release. Good production is best left for the formats that enhance those features.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 2:04 PM

wtf is a cassette store?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 2:17 PM

If you haven't listened to it on cassette you really haven't listened to it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 2:23 PM

Stupid idea. I didn't like cassettes back when people were actually using them.
I get the idea of record store day... records have a warm sound quality, and the album artwork is large enough that you can frame it on a wall if you wanted.
Cassettes have awful sound quality, and you can barely see the artwork on the cassette case. This is just a dumb idea likely thought up by some naive young 20 year-old hipster who wasn't even born when people were still listening to cassettes.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 2:34 PM

Fuck these hipster dipshits (and record labels like Jade Tree who turned their back on hardcore punk long ago) co-opting a distinctive hardcore punk medium with ZERO hardcore punk band releases announced.
Spare me "Jade Tree's hardcore releases" - yeah, self-promotion that doesn't count as supporting hardcore punk. Get back to me when Jade Tree reissues something not on their label. And I could give a flying fuck if Fucked Up are involved in this as they ditched hardcore punk years ago as well as Jade Tree. Lemme guess, Fucked Up's very first demo on cassette? PBBBTTTTT!!!!!

'Problem with this event besides the blatant co-opting of a medium without supporting the music scene which was the biggest proponent of cassettes (hardcore punk) is I can't think of a single NYC record store which still sells cassettes. I know Generation Records and Other Music don't sell 'em, so there goes Manhattan. The only place in Brooklyn I'm guessing they're sold at is Academy Records. If they don't sell 'em, this thing is skipping NYC as the other boroughs don't have shit in the way of record stores outside of dance/dj/hip hop music.

Having events in record stores is forced and smacks of opportunism and phony homage to DIY of old as this is self-promoting shit.

Posted by D | July 15, 2013 2:44 PM

Hipsters are the worst. They just ruin everything and simply do not get that they're walking punchlines to a joke nobody likes.

Enjoy your cassettes. Hope you feel more "authentic" with them.

Posted by Blake | July 15, 2013 2:46 PM

NYC isn't the world, tho, 2:44pm, and the event is being headquartered in London, whose record stores could very well be selling cassettes more than NYC's. Burger Records is a huge tape shop, since the label itself puts out tapes. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't like digital, so I never buy anything off iTunes or Amazon's MP3 store. Having more format options is just a plus to the labels and bands. So many of the comments above are the same comments that would have appeared on Brooklynvegan during the vinyl resurgence anyway, and vinyl won out in spite of the cynicism.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 2:56 PM

Not a Joke... A rare daft punk release on cassette sold for $ 1800.00 on discogs last month.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 3:03 PM

Worst format. 8trak was superior. I am not kidding.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 3:13 PM

Great idea, I have over 2,000 pieces of cassette tape.

Posted by Gary | July 15, 2013 3:16 PM

"Borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered 80s." - James Murphy, 11 years ago

Does this mean cassettes are now retro retro?

CD > FLAC

vinyl = art

cassettes = garbage

8 tracks = next

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 3:22 PM

Two things, commenters. Your cassettes hissed because you had a shitty tape deck, same as your vinyl crackled because you got your greasy fingers all over it, and hipsters don't exist. Stop talking about a generic insult like it's a real group of people. And yes, you can skip, as my deck has a function that detects gaps between songs. Suck it.

Posted by Tyler | July 15, 2013 4:01 PM

cassettes sound better. that warm, humming sound is especially good for music with screaming low-end guitars and/or feedback. it's just a superior audio format.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 4:15 PM

Tyler, back in the day I had a Nakamichi cassette deck, and only used high-end cassettes. The sound still blows compared to other sound media. Don't kid yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 4:33 PM

LOL @ "music scene which was the biggest proponent of cassettes (hardcore punk)"

Somebody hasn't been paying attention.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 4:38 PM

a halved cassette makes excellent dipping media and a fine addition to a robust hummus platter

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 6:56 PM

2:56pm Hey fuckhead I've been buying cassettes since before the hipshits (hipsters + dipshits, my word, I invented it :P) putting on this bullshit and co-opting DIY culture and perhaps you knew what music was.

Ya damn right I'm not supporting this event.

NYC is the world when it comes to music, thought, fashion, pop culture, trends, etc. not London, deal with it.

Metal = NYC

Hip-Hop/Rap = NYC

Hardcore punk after 1984 the year Boston, Washington D.C., and Midwest hardcore died and went indie rock = NYC

...and that's just music.

BTW where were the biggest demonstrations protesting the Zimmerman verdict? Yep, right here in NYC.

Posted by D | July 15, 2013 7:13 PM

When I say "NYC" I mean 99% of the metal, hip-hop/rap, and hardcore punk around today doesn't exist without all that which came out of NYC, more specifically 1980s NYC.

Posted by D | July 15, 2013 7:17 PM

The greatest proponent of cassettes was Maxell. The XLII-S90 was the best, and you could fit every good Corrosion of Conformity recording on one. It did cut off the last song of "Daydream Nation" but no one cared anyway. 3:16 is a horse-toothed jackass. That is all.

Posted by xTAINTx | July 15, 2013 7:55 PM

Anybody who thinks this is a good format doesn't have ears. My stereo has around 40 components and costs around $60k, and I couldn't be paid to add a cassette deck and listen to a cassette.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 8:18 PM

ugh, seriously?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2013 9:38 PM

The bitter rant about Jade Tree was a joke, right?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:33 AM

Bitter rant? Joke? I don't think so. For me to be bitter I'd actually have to give a fuck about Jade Tree which I don't, never did, and never will.

Fuck Jade Tree Records for participating in this farce.

Go listen to Railhed or Lifetime's Jersey's Best Dancers, bitch.

Posted by D | July 16, 2013 1:18 AM

Cassettes are for poor teenagers

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 1:54 AM

You can cut tape and splice it with scotch tape, which is a physical manipulation that can produce unexpected effects, kind of like scratching with a turntable. I guess you could code some sort of software to recreate it, I would if somebody would pay me enough.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 3:22 AM

One time on a road trip to the Midwest I drove an old Pontiac with a Herman's Hermits cassette tape on blast for at least 2/3rds of the trip.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 5:29 AM

Hey, ya know, if your car has a cassette deck, you can just get a little cassette-shaped adapter that fits right in there, and you can hook up your iPhone or iPod. I'm here to help.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 8:24 PM

I guess books stores will be having a chisel and stone day as well? Casettes are dead, anyone trying to revive them is an idiot. They served their purpose untill something better came along. You hipsters need to quit trying to be so clever with stupid shit like this.

Posted by o0 | July 17, 2013 4:10 AM

I think it's fun. Can't we all just have fun?

Posted by Jennifer | July 18, 2013 1:18 PM

Hahaha see what I mean? A simple comment about how horrible hipsters are.. upsets those who are hipsters.

Posted by Dario | May 20, 2014 4:42 AM