Posted in music | tour dates on July 16, 2013

Violent Femmes

Violent Femmes reunited earlier this year for Coachella, where they performed their 1983 debut in full, and have since played other shows, including a hometown show in June. It was after that show that drummer Victor DeLorenzo, who has left the band before throughout their career, announced his departure from the reunited lineup. He gave the following statement (via JSOline):

It's always hard to write a eulogy for a lost loved one. In this case, I sadly lament the loss of a dream and an ideal that was once Violent Femmes.

When I first heard the news about the possibility of the original Violent Femmes reuniting, I was excited that once again our group might be able to play music for the fans that love us and for the new fans that have never had the chance to see us create the music live. The only conditions that I had were that the three of us move forward to repair our relationships within the band, and that we would strive to attain a fair business agreement that would reflect a new way of handling the business that wouldn't be 'business as usual.' Sadly, my open-hearted approach to finding a way to move forward wasn't shared by Violent Femmes. What was finally being offered to me was, 'business as usual,' with a great deal of disrespect, dishonesty and greed.

After having found out that the promoters of our recent concerts weren't interested in booking our group unless it was, 'the reunion of the original band,' I spoke to two of the biggest concert promoters in the world that handled two of our shows, and they told me directly that this was true. So it confuses me that fans and the promoters see the value in presenting the original band, but not the band itself. I realize that I'm no longer part of the copyright after having given up my business interest in Violent Femmes years ago, but I will always be part of the birthright of Violent Femmes, for which I will always be very proud! I'm sorry and I apologize that the fans, promoters and agents won't get to see the Violent Femmes show that was being offered and that people bought tickets to see.

As John Lennon once said, 'the dream is over.' In regards to my history with Violent Femmes, the dream never quite got there.

So on the evening of June 26th, 2013, on the stage of the Marcus Amphitheater at Summerfest, I gave to the world my last performance with Violent Femmes. Milwaukee, we were yours for the night, and now forever!

Sincerely and with warm regards,

Victor DeLorenzo

Violent Femmes have announced on their website that DeLorenzo's replacement will be Bryan Viglione, aka the half of Dresden Dolls that isn't Amanda Palmer. He's pictured with the remaining two original Violent Femmes members above.

Violent Femmes' upcoming shows include a previously discussed NYC show happening on September 12 at Central Park's Rumsey Playfield and Riot Fest Chicago. Tickets for the Central Park show are still available.

Drummers are having a hard time around this reunion season eh? Does this guy and Bill Ward really feel they should get 1/4 or 1/3 of the profits? Maybe they should. Drummers can't get no respect...

I wonder if Brian got half of Dresden Dolls money.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 11:41 AM

"I realize that I'm no longer part of the copyright after having given up my business interest in Violent Femmes years ago ... "

Aaaaaaand, yer point is .... ???!??!?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 11:46 AM

sad to see them come to this. Gordon Gano is notoriously a snake and an opportunist. he hasn't written a good song in 20 years. sad to see them become a novelty act. they had such a huge influence on me.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 11:47 AM

All these nerds need to call it a day. They're embarrassing themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 11:55 AM

What a long, dramatic statement. Who cares.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 11:59 AM

I mean, Victor was the most interesting part of that band to watch play. bummer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:03 PM

the only people who care are aging yuppies nostalgic about their college years in the late 80s

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:06 PM

NO BILL WARD NO VIOLENT FEMMES

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:13 PM

one of the unsung percussive greats

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:14 PM

Good god, who could possibly care?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:17 PM

And they want $60+ for the NYC gig. I can't wait to pay $10 to see this novelty act day of..

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:18 PM

Blister in the Hummus

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:20 PM

$60?!?! Haha, I figured these dudes were playing State Fairs by now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:20 PM

Maybe the ticket prices for Summerstage will drop now...

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:32 PM

Josh Freese

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 12:32 PM

Brian Viglione is the shit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 2:50 PM

Why would anyone go see this band anymore? The band is nothing without Victor DeLorenzo

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 3:15 PM

whatever the lineup... pass

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 5:05 PM

You can all just kiss off into the air. Behind my back. I don't care. You do it all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 5:50 PM

I wish bands would understand they have a certain obligation to make reunion cash-ins work with all the original band members or just don't do it. So yeah, Black Sabbath should not go forward without Bill Ward. And if Black Francis can't stomach Kim Deal - fine - but don't call what's left The Pixies. Same principle applies here.

But I guess for them as long as they sell tickets it doesn't matter. Anyone that hangs out in the West Village knows Gordon has a considerable bar bill to pay off. ;-)

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 6:20 PM

Brian probably has huge legal bills from his recent lawsuit against Gordon.

Posted by Anon | July 16, 2013 6:56 PM

Gordon Gano used to show up at the old Blind Tiger when it was on Hudson, and people would literally leave the bar or move away from him when he sat down. He was a miserable, angry and nasty drunk, and he seemed to always be drunk.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2013 10:36 PM

Central Park promoter just got screwed by Violent Femmes. Wow!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2013 9:21 AM

There is no Violent Femmes without Victor.
That said, the Femmes should have hung it up in the early 1990's.

Posted by Darnell | July 24, 2013 4:40 PM

It is hard to imagine there are still people in the music industry willing to do business with these guys. This new picture of them is creepy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2013 7:24 AM

I'm sorry to see Victor leave the band. I think Gordon, Brian and Victor all had a lot to do with the success of the Violent Femmes. I have met them all and greatly admire them all. Victor will be sorely missed.
I wish people would not be so negative about Gordon. He is a great friend of mine and his talent knows no bounds. He is very kind and a remarkably talented person. If you knew Gordon personally you would be amazed at just how brilliant he really is. For all the haters' how many albums have you put out that people have and still are paying 30 years later to see you perform.

Posted by M.P. | September 2, 2013 9:22 PM

^Dude, you're the violent femmes. You are not the pixies, the beatles, talking heads, or nirvana don't lecture us on how we hate.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2013 10:06 PM

#1- I am not a dude - I am a woman who has been a friend of Gordon's since the 70's.
#2- I never said the Violent Femmes were in the realm of the Beatles.
I just don't like to see people slam on the band who have done nothing more than spend their lives traveling the world entertaining their fans.

Posted by M.P. | September 2, 2013 10:45 PM

^well, you still are like 52 and have known the band for a while. It seems like you shouldn't have to defend the band on the internet still.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2013 11:44 PM

Your age est. is on the hi side and they absolutely do not need me to defend them. Their overall success and fan base was all of their own doing.
I would put money on the fact that they have experienced more in this life that you and I together will ever hope to have done.
Gordon has let me ride into shows with the band, go to meet and greets at numerous venues, go to after parties and just experience what it's like in the life of a musician. He is a really cool friend that I am blessed to have. I hope you meet someone in your life that can expose you to what goes on back stage. To say it is a blast would be a understatement.
M.P.-Milwaukee-Wisconsin

Posted by M.P. | September 3, 2013 12:16 AM

^so back in the day you let this nerd tear dat ass up because he is a musician? Fascinating stuff. You should write a book.

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2013 12:37 AM

Wow you are really hilarious. You should be a comedian. You shouldn't be such a hater. It must get to be taxing after awhile. You seem to think you have to put out to have a friend. What a sad life you must have, not to mention what kind of diseases you have picked up if that is what you need to do to have someone spend some time with you.

Posted by M.P. | September 3, 2013 1:37 AM

I love Gordon Gano. His voice and songs are like a long lost friend...
I can't wait to see them play in Central Park Thursday. Sad about Victor though :-( he'll be missed.

Posted by Tapa | September 11, 2013 12:24 PM

i hate to tell ya this, but your 16, it only gets worse, but you will learn that such is life. im 19... at 16 i though i had it bad, i still have it bad, but im happy. i have food, a house, and people that love me and people to love.

Posted by Alvaro | May 19, 2014 6:59 AM

Ok so going to show my age here! I remember in school I had this cassette tape...I know I know, those that have no clue ask your parents! My one math teacher who was a horrid whiter version Erkle! He always tried to be so cool, he saw my tape, got all excited and said cool I love female bands! (yes even I just facepalmed!)

Posted by Mallory | October 9, 2014 9:10 AM