Posted in music on August 2, 2013

CBGB

As previously mentioned, the CBGB movie will premiere at this year's CBGB Music & Film Festival, which goes down across various NYC venues from October 9 to 13.

The tracklist for that movie's soundtrack was just revealed, and while there's not too much you don't already have if you're already into this stuff, it should make a great classic-punk 101 for anyone who's yet to have discovered these gems. The soundtrack will feature classic tunes from Talking Heads, The Stooges, Dead Boys, Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Television, Wayne County & the Electric Chairs, New York Dolls, The Velvet Underground, Johnny Thunder & the Heartbreakers, and more. Plus, there's some live tracks, demos, and alternate versions of songs from other beloved bands like Blondie, MC5, The Dictators and more. The soundtrack will be out on October 8 via Omnivore Records physically and Rhino digitally.

Check out the full tracklist and some videos below...

Richard Hell & the Voidoids - "Blank Generation"

Dead Boys - "Sonic Reducer"

Talking Heads - "Life During Wartime"

CBGB: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Tracklist:
1. Talking Heads "Life During Wartime"
2. MC5 "Kick Out the Jams (Uncensored Version)"
3. New York Dolls "Chatterbox"
4. Television "Careful"
5. Richard Hell & The Voidoids "Blank Generation"
6. Flamin' Groovies "Slow Death"
7. The Velvet Underground "I Can't Stand It"
8. Wayne County & The Electric Chairs "Out of Control"
9. The Count Five "Psychotic Reaction"
10. Tuff Darts "All For the Love of Rock 'n' Roll" (Live)
11. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers "All By Myself"
12. The Dictators "California Sun" (Original Demo)
13. Dead Boys "Caught With the Meat in Your Mouth"
14. Joey Ramone "I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)"
15. The Laughing Dogs "Get Outta My Way"
16. Blondie "Sunday Girl" (2013 Version)
17. The Stooges "I Wanna Be Your Dog"
18. Dead Boys "Sonic Reducer"
19. The Police "Roxanne"
20. Hilly Kristal "Birds and the Bees"

Some of the bands on the soundtrack never even played there. MC5, Dolls, VU. I doubt any of them were even around when CB's was hoppin'.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 7:15 PM

In 20 years there will be a documentary about the legendary venue Big Snow Buffalo Lodge.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 8:10 PM

No suicide come on

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 8:10 PM

If Frohawk isn't in it, I ain't seein it

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 8:12 PM

Roxanne!?

I just threw up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 10:31 PM

A black tie affair, no doubt.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 10:58 PM

You mean to say that you don't remember the Count Five's month long residency at CBGB's in 1970? Those concerts were the officially recognized beginning of the "Punk Rock" musical genre. That band invented the mohawk, before they were musicians, in Viet Nam, when they were first together as an elite Force Recon Long Range Patrol team. They ambushed the NVA's Fifth Regiment on Dong Ap Bia, which is how they got the inspiration for the song, "psychotic reaction". Hilly Crystal was flying their extraction Huey, that was when he offered to manage them as a band. He took them to England, where they customized a bus by adding a second story, as described in their song, "DOUBLE DECKER BUS". So they intorduced the Brits to Punk rock and public transportation.

Posted by 7:15 is ignorant | August 2, 2013 10:59 PM

What a joke! Not even a Ramones song on there? They also definitely need The Shirts, The Cramps, John Cale, Joan Jett, Suicide, The Stillettos, The Patti Smith Group, The Fleshtones & Mink DeVille on that soundtrack & in the movie. The Police? They played there in '78 but had nothing to do with the scene whatsoever. I guess they could only get the rights to so many bands/songs. MC5 and Velvet Underground were broken up by the time they started having rock bands play there. The Dolls were falling apart in '75 and I don't think ever played there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 3:03 AM

Not only no Ramones or Suicide, but no NYHC (Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, or Murphy's Law) or Bad Brains. WHACK! Just like CBGB since it closed down. I mean ALL THREE of Agnostic Front's official, band-authorized live album releases were recorded at CBGB. 'Think they could've put "Victim In Pain" on there? Along with Bad Brains' "Pay To Cum"?

Also, Joey Ramone DIRECTLY ripped off the Chumbawumba "Tubthumping" chorus with his song title "I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)" C'mon Joey!

The Police being on there is bullshit considering (as 3:03am wrote) they had nothing to do with the scene whatsoever. 'Love Joan Jett but fuck her, she wasn't part of the scene either. Ditto for The Cramps. I mean yeah they played there but Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, and Murphy's Law were way more part of CBGB than Jett or The Cramps, especially A.F.

Posted by D | August 3, 2013 4:04 AM

404 Obviously this dopey movie is about the mid-late 70's heyday of CB's not the 80's hardcore scene. And The Cramps played there a lot. I was there and saw them many times. God bless 'em!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 5:15 AM

like Timothy explained I cant believe that a stay at home mom able to get paid $4404 in one month on the computer. did you look at this web link ,,,, http://Jam10.ℂom

Posted by rosalie williams | August 3, 2013 9:02 AM

Two songs by a mediocre band like the Dead Boys? Lame.

How about Mink de Ville, WIRE, and the Contortions to get broader feel for what was going on 77 - 79.

I don't know if god is going bless the Cramps as Lux Interior has been dead for years now, but yeah, they should have been incl.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 10:57 AM

stop trying to make the cbgb's movie happen. it's not going to happen.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:05 AM

Somehow everyone knows what context in the movie these songs are used.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:32 AM

the cramps are so much better than agnostic front and the cro-mags.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:33 AM

Lux is enjoying his front row seat in Hell right now.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 12:03 PM

Vinnie Stigma needs to address this via youtube

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 1:53 PM

1057 Wire were British and had nothing to do with NYC scene. Contortions were a little bit after the original group of bands that this movie seems to be focusing on. The Dead Boys were an important band back then even if they were not from NYC. Who can forget Stiv hanging himself with his mic cord.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 3:02 PM

302: WIRE played ( and recorded) it's first US show in July of 78 at CB's and believe me it was a big deal. Everybody in that "scene" was excited to see them play. It was new, it was different, it was fresh and they didn't sound like anything else at the time. You're also wrong about the Contortions who were there exactly at the time the movie represents: 77- 80. The Deadboys are just not that important or musically interesting. I remember going to see them at a theatre on 2nd ave, maybe 10 people showed up.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 4:31 PM

There should be a lot of hummus consumed in this movie.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 4:41 PM

The Misfits ( yes, folks, they're from Lodi, NJ ) also played their first shows at CB's and would have been a better choice than the Deadboys. I'll give you Sonic Reducer, but 2 songs, no way.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 4:50 PM

431 Plenty of bands (like The Police for one) played there but were not regulars (like The Dead Boys) or part of the NY downtown scene. I do agree that Wire were a big deal back then although I did not get to see them until 80 or so. I do remember seeing The Contortions/James White & The Blacks/Flaming Demonics although not at CB's. 1976-79, what a great era for local,original NYC music. It's never been close to that interesting or fun since.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 5:26 PM

526 Precisely my point: doesn't matter if you were a regular or not. The "scene" was made up of people from all over the US, but mostly mid-west and New England. But it was never parochial in the sense that everybody was a native new yorker. Just the opposite actually. The Dolls and the Ramones were from NYC, Debby Harry from NJ,
but most of those other groups were people who came to NY to seek fame and fortune. I mean nobody ever went to Pittsburg to become famous. Stunningly original scene and when the Brit acts passed thru just made it more special and fun.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 7:16 PM

5:15am Yeah that's why it's stupid because the early '80s NYHC scene was interesting enough to at least include it at the very end to signal a new era of the club and really music and the culture surrounding it.

Many of you have NO CLUE about the impact NYHC made on the music world.

Beastie Boys began as a NYHC band.

Rick Rubin who founded Def Jam, ran it from his NYU dorm, and discovered LL Cool J was a hardcore punk kid.

Thurston Moore's first band (or one of his first band) was a NYHC band.

Prong who spearheaded industrial metal alongside Ministry came from the NYHC scene. No Prong no Nine Inch Nails there I said it.

Metallica doesn't exist without NYHC and more specificially Agnostic Front, there I said it.

Rob Zombie is no one without NYHC i.e. White Zombie thus Rob's post-WZ career in music and film doesn't exist without it.

Ask The Hold Steady about NYHC and those guys will cite chapter and verse why they don't exist without it (as far as a newer big NYC band goes.)

I'm talking about just SOME of the commerically and culturally accomplished artists here and musicians only. Tons of actors, artists etc. came up with NYHC.

This movie should end with a band portraying AF playing Victim In Pain. All actors except Vinny Stigma who they could face pancake up so he looks 25 LOL.

Posted by D | August 3, 2013 10:40 PM

716 & 1040 The truth. Cb's would have closed a lot sooner without the hardcore matinees. As for asking The Hold Steady anything, no thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:09 PM

To me, CBGB's is all about seeing the line outside the place for a matinee and thinking it would be better to buy some crack from the crowd of dudes across the street instead of going in to see something I would only want to see if they were playing somewhere else.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 2:33 AM

11:09pm I hear you re: The Hold Stesdy. They're not my cup of tea musically but I will say those guys have given and still give alot of love to '80s NYHC and aren't ashamed of coming up with it.

2:33pm You preferred to buy crack over going to see a CBGB Sunday hardcore matinee yeah sure ok whatever you say nerd.

Posted by D | August 4, 2013 6:24 AM

*SteAdy

Posted by D | August 4, 2013 6:25 AM

D The movie isn't about CB's in the 80's or lesbian poetry or even the music scene in NY in the 70's otherwise you'd have to incl the Bottom Line, Mudd Club, Hurrahs, Academy of Music, etc. It's about a very specific place and time. It's not the tracklist I would have chosen. Wire/ Cramps/ Mink de Ville yes; Police/ Laughing Dogs/Dead Boys no. Maybe it will be great maybe it will suck. But it's not a documentary about the entire history of CBs, or NY Rock Clubs, or NYHC.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 9:21 AM

D you're making good points but I bet you're going to be happy the movie doesn't cover 80's NYHC because I'm pretty sure the movie is going to be terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 1:05 PM

105 I'm sure you are right! I laugh when I see young people wearing CB's t-shirts. Have they even been to that dump before?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 3:02 PM

All I'm saying (as some of you have missed the point) is how 'bout a more accurate, encompassing portrayal of the club not the same old same old?

CBGB didn't close at the end of the '70s or after The Ramones, Blondie, and Talking Heads blew up and the crowd that followed them and others decided CBGB wasn't cool anymore.

I think this movie is all about the current CBGB ownership wanting it to become a Broadway musical or resident musical a la Rent.

I'd love to see a movie about the Harley Flanagan-John Joseph beef directed by Patty Jenkins who directed Monster or a musical about the beef. If a musical we could have a number where Harley storms around stage saying how fucked up his life is while another number could be John talking about all his hustles and scams. The final showdown could have The DMS Dancers.

Posted by D | August 4, 2013 4:33 PM

D you are the one missing the point: The movie is a biopic about Hilly Kristal, i.e., a dramatization using real people. It is not a documentary. It is a slice of life as interpreted by a filmmaker w his point of view. That could be great, that could suck. Unless it's Martin Scorsese I'm guessing the latter.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 6:16 PM

Please d provide us some more of your insight.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 7:50 PM

I can't believe the police are on the soundtrack. I can't stand the police.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 8:00 PM

Incl a jerk off band like the Police that's kind of like the kiss of death. Keeping an open mind but I got a feeling this is gonna blow.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 8:23 PM

8:23, I feel the same way.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 8:24 PM

I hope "Wrapped Aroud Your Finger" is the Police song on the soundtrack. When I think of CBGB that's the one that comes to mind.

Posted by xTAINTx | August 4, 2013 9:34 PM

Big mistake if you think the Dead Boys were not an important part of the scene...

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2013 10:41 AM

I can't I can't I can't stand The Police

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2013 11:54 AM

to the first poster....
Umm, MC5 were playing out in '66 and their live debut LP PRE-DATES ANY punk affiliation with CB'S by a few years. so SHUT THE FUCK UP. MC5 were awesome PROTO-PUNK!

Lastly, a re-release, of a re-, of a re, you get the point record of which we all have every track of anyways. lame.

and yes, prior to the save CB's shows they were booking the club was barely existing and had yet to book anything worthwhile in a long time.

Posted by Jeff | October 5, 2013 1:03 PM

Dead Boys can certainly warrant merit for being on the soundtrack. They played that club countless times.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2013 1:25 PM

It has been awfully busy for the last couple of weeks, hence no updates on the Top 100 list. My deepest apologies... or actually none of that, this is my sport and I do it for myself.

Posted by Evan | February 21, 2014 1:30 PM

Talking Heads are still my favorite band, and this was their signature hit...

Posted by Moore | March 12, 2014 6:53 AM