Posted in music on August 26, 2013

poster outside City Winery all week (via @mrtillman17)
NPG

He did it again. Much like Thursday night, Prince showed up last night (8/25) at City Winery for the last of New Power Generation's residency at City Winery. Technically it was this morning as the show -- billed as a VMAs afterparty -- didn't start till midnight. And it didn't finish till almost 6 AM. Sets from Shelby J. and Liv Warfield started off the night, followed by "special guest sets" starting at 1 AM from Cee Lo Green (who played Brooklyn Bowl earlier that night), Family Stone/Grand Central Station's Larry Graham (who plays BB King's Wednesday, tickets are on sale), and Alice Smith (who played other nights of the residency too). Prince took the stage around 3 AM and played almost literally till the break of dawn. Doug E. Fresh, who was there on Thursday, guested again too.

Did you go? What did you think? And how are you awake?

The approximate setlist is below...

PRINCE @ CITY WINERY (8/25/2013): SETLIST (via)
- Strays Of The World (sung by Shelby & Liv)
-Days Of Wild(w/Ain't nobody)
-Big City
- 1999
- All The Critics Love You In NY (1999 beat and horn line)
-Mutiny
- Old Friends 4 Sale
-People Pleaser(w/Liv & Shelby)
- ??????
-Dark
-P FUNK(????)
-Something In The Water...(only w/Piano w/Cassendra)
-Nothing Compares 2 U (Duet w/Tamar(????) )
Courtin' Time(instrumental with each NPG hornz getting a solo)
-Get On The Boat
-Act Of God
-What Have You Done For Me lately/Northside/Which Way Is Up/Dancing Machine/Partman (sung with girls and Doug E. Fresh joined)
Encore 1:
Piano Segment (first time in the event Prince played an instrument)
-How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
-Diamonds & Pearls
-Strange Relationship
-The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker(w/Lyrics)
-Do Me baby
-Under The Cherry Moon
-The Beautiful Ones(w/lyrics)
-Moonbeam Levels
-Sweet Thing
Band comes back on stage
- Take Me With U
-Raspberry Beret
Encore 2:
-Blues Instrumental (w/ Larry Grahm on bass, Prince and Donna on guitar and Hannah on drums)
-Plectrum Electrum(Prince & 3rd Eye Girl only)
****Ida played guitar the whole show,with the exception of the last song
*** No merch
----------

ERMAHGAWD

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:02 PM

Fuck. Something I could have gone to but didn't. Bitten by regret again.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:05 PM

How much were the tickets?

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:05 PM

I could have gone and perhaps should have - but the $200 tickets kept me away. I did see the Wed. night show which was worth $75.
Oh well.....

Posted by spikenyc | August 26, 2013 1:08 PM

If my job didn't actually require work, I soooo would have been there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:09 PM

Would've went, but my freakin' back problems kept me from going.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:33 PM

didn't play 'when doves cry' so really didn't miss anything.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:35 PM

I like sleeping.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:38 PM

suppose technically he didn't really play other instruments, kept strapping a guitar on but would just strum it a few times, no solos, seemed to be having much more fun coordinating the whole party. I had Ain't Gonna Miss You When You're Gone as the ????? in the set list above. Came on about 3:15am. Great set.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:45 PM

I like prince but it is Obnoxious to get on so late. Start at 10pm like a normal person amirite!

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 1:48 PM

Prince hasn't written a relevant song in 25+ years so please stop sucking his micro dick like it's a revelatory experience.

Posted by len jay | August 26, 2013 1:59 PM

If you're gonna bring back NPG you gotta do Cream and Get Off. I know Prince is born again but his raunchy early 90's NPG shit was the best.

Posted by AnonHUMMUS | August 26, 2013 2:03 PM

Micro dick? Clearly you've been out of the loop on Prince.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 2:06 PM

'kept strapping a guitar on but would just strum it a few times,'..

Posted by anonymous | August 26, 2013 2:20 PM

People paid $200 per person and Prince went on a little after 3am? That's excellent.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 2:34 PM

Total self indulgent prick who's been over charging his fans for decades but releasing nothing of worth during that time.

Posted by len jay | August 26, 2013 2:40 PM

Yeah, and I am all for GA standing room, but standing for 6 hours to see Prince, I'd think it would be hard to get funky around 4:30

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 2:52 PM

I heard Prince fucks guys in the ass for a living. FUCK YOU.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 2:57 PM

I went to this and it was amazing. Yes people payed $200 and he went on just after 3, but he played until around 5:45 am...and it was at a venue that holds 400 people. This whole thing was incredible. Say what you want about him as a person, but he ferocious musician and band leader. BTW, there are some nasty retards on this thread.Do the world a favor and walk in front of a bus.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 3:00 PM

White people who pay $300 to see a concert make me sad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 3:05 PM

"Actually he took some blistering solos in the last encore...don't you remember Plectrum Electric?"

Yeah, sorry about that - was responding to the set list saying the piano encore was the first time he'd played an instrument - not much guitar work before then. You're absolutely correct though, I should have been clearer. Bit tired today

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 3:25 PM

I was not there. BUT if I was THERE, I would have BONED a Hot Model with my Swag On 100% Nut juice on Da loose.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 4:26 PM

all you fucking commenters and your opinions can go suck my raging hard cock, you fucking fa%%ots. fuck my cock up.
i will fuck ANYTHING

Posted by Abraham Fucking Lincoln | August 26, 2013 5:59 PM

i love prince but would never drop 200 bones to see him...especially if i had to sweat like a pig all night in a room full of yuppies.

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 8:02 PM

Wow, from the evidence of this thread, Brooklyn, which is supposed to be cool, is full of angry retards who don't know shit about good music. Who knew?

Posted by ssully | August 26, 2013 8:18 PM

I was there and it was absolutely the best show I've EVER seen!!!
All you angry broke assed fucktards who couldn't go can eat a dick...

Posted by I was there | August 26, 2013 8:31 PM

8:31 -- mom, can you please get off the Internet?

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 8:52 PM

"White people who pay $300 to see a concert make me sad."

get a job

Posted by Anonymous | August 26, 2013 11:35 PM

I've loved this song since i saw pretty woman for the first time when i was a little girl. I was singing along to julia roberts bathtub version for years before i got the bright idea to search for the actual song.

Posted by Molly | December 17, 2013 11:26 AM

the greatest!!!! I listen Prince since I've got the age for :) since 20 years....I think! the music in my soul! thank you Prince you are so BIG in music! <3

Posted by William | January 30, 2014 3:31 AM

The is situated right beside Kent Ridge Park. Future residents will be able to access the nearby IKEA and Anchorpoint which is a short drive away for some family fun and gatherings. A truly unique lifestyle awaits you.

Posted by The Interlace kim tian | March 26, 2014 12:33 AM

How does one hate Freedom.Some do nothing to better the lives of the poor and hate on OUR BRO.Prince who,buys school cloths,coats ect for the poor youth where he lives.What have we done so great?The message you give to the world is what?Hoes,Drugs & Money is GOD.I know what it is...no ones clapping for you.No ones buying your bull,or coming to see you do nothing.PANTS ON THE GROUND,GENERATION BUTT CRACK.

Posted by Cowboy Black | March 30, 2014 12:46 PM

How does one hate Freedom.Some do nothing to better the lives of the poor and hate on OUR BRO.Prince who,buys school clothes,coats ect for the poor youth where he lives.What have we done so great?The message you give to the world is what?Hoes,Drugs & Money is GOD.I know what it is...no ones clapping for you.No ones buying your bull,or coming to see you do nothing.PANTS ON THE GROUND,GENERATION BUTT CRACK.

Posted by Cowboy Black | March 30, 2014 12:48 PM

Dear Prince Haters,what musical instrument do you play?NONE.Are the artists you grew up with still on radio or touring?NO.Did you know Prince to date has about 33 albums,some 2,3 and 4 CD sets?NO.Did you know that after his 4 hr concerts,he finds A club in that city to perform FREE?What do you give freely,WORDS FILLED WITH HATE FOR SOMEONE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.Did you know that when Ushers big hit Confession 2 was at the top of charts,Prince was #1 touring artist beating Ushers tours also.HEY HATERS,did you know when he wrote SLAVE on his face,it was the FIRST step in educating poor people on owning ones MASTER recordings.Did you know when he backed out of 100 million dollar deal with Warner Bros,he kept the money.So they blackballed him from radio.Would any of you haters have been smart enough to change your name,tone down on luxuries,settle for 200,000 records sold verses 3 million.And the greats thing of all,21 nights in Paris.No ones ever done that,played every night in same spot,so if I didn't get to see him on Saturday,he's still there next week $$$$$$$$$$ HATERS GO TA HEAVEN!!!

Posted by Cowboy Black | March 30, 2014 1:27 PM

Commonwealth Towers facilities provide full family entertainment needs for your family and loved ones. Indulge in a serene and tranquil lifestyle right in the heart of Queenstown

Posted by commonwealth towers location | April 1, 2014 3:08 AM