Posted in music on August 2, 2013

by Andrew Sacher

Grateful Dead

One of the more polarizing bands, as far as indie rock fans are concerned, is the Grateful Dead. But despite all the hipsters who want to make sure no one thinks they're hippies, there's a big chunk of the indie community who actually likes this band, so it's pretty cool that The National have gathered members from a bunch of great indie bands -- Vampire Weekend, The War on Drugs, Bon Iver, The Walkmen, and Kurt Vile & the Violators -- to participate in a Grateful Dead tribute album, as Relix reports. (They announced it yesterday [8/1], aka Jerry Garcia's birthday.)

Like Dark was the Night, which The National's Dessner brothers also curated, this will benefit AIDS organization Red Hot. But unlike that one, which was a compilation, this one "will hone in on a few all-star ensembles assembled for the project as well as select featured guests." The Relix article continues:

The Dessners also cite Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo and Yo La Tengo's Ira Kaplan as big-name indie guitarists with an affinity for the Dead who'd fit on the album. In 2012, Aaron Dessner, The Walkmen's Walter Martin and the Devendorf brothers performed with Bob Weir at benefit show held at the Dead guitarist's TRI Studios. Vampire Weekend's Chris Tomson has also performed with Weir at TRI while The War on Drugs regularly cover "Touch of Grey." As they mention in the September issue of Relix, the Dessners riffed on "Eyes of the World" for eight hours during their first jam session with Bryan Devendorf in middle school."

"There are all kind of corners of the musical world that are deeply influenced by the Dead that one wouldn't expect," Bryce Dessner says. "Lee Ranaldo is a crazy Deadhead. So that was part of the idea but I think it is broader than that now. Jerry Garcia was a total cat."

Both Lee Ranaldo and Ira Kaplan just helped commemorate the closing of Maxwell's.

Grateful Dead tribute band Dark Star Orchestra just announced two Best Buy Theater shows (11/29-30). Tickets for those are on sale now.

Onetime Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart is taking his Mickey Hart Band to Port Chester's Capitol Theatre on September 21. Tickets for that show are on sale now.

Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter is playing a few Northeast shows this year, including 9/26 at The Paramount (tickets), 10/5 at Capitol Theatre (tickets), and 10/10 at Town Hall (tickets). All dates are listed below.

And, both Vampire Weekend (tickets) and Kurt Vile (tickets) are each about to play their biggest NYC shows yet this fall.

Watch a video of members of The National performing with the Dead's Bob Weir in 2012, below...

Bob Weir and The National - "Looks Like Rain"

Robert Hunter -- 2013 Tour Dates
9/26 The Paramount, Huntington, NY
9/28 Symphony Hall, Allentown, PA
10/1 Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, NJ
10/3 Lisner Auditorium, Washington, DC
10/4 Keswick Theatre, Glenside, PA
10/5 Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY
10/7 Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA
10/10 Town Hall, New York City

I cannot wait to see this performed live at The Capitol in a year

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 3:33 PM

"Surprising"

not really, if you disregard the dead right away because a lot of their fans are shitty hippies, you're a close-minded idiot, and you should probably get out of high school.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 3:35 PM

OP is a faggot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 3:38 PM

"How could you forget Robert Hunter coming up at Town Hall?"

just added that in, thanks!

Posted by andrewsacher | August 2, 2013 4:18 PM

The Dead are the one band I wish I had not dismissed for so long based solely on their fans and the caricature rumors created about them. I'm 31 and I never dared to listen to them until I was almost 30 - now I can't get enough. Anyone who isn't a believer, just listen to American Beauty. It's the easiest and most beautiful introduction to the band - I think, as it was for me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 4:47 PM

The National's drummer looks like he should be in the Greatful Dead

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 4:52 PM

Who put the acid in the hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 7:05 PM

The Dead are one of the best and most important American rock bands of all time. They are labeled a jam band but a lot of their music would be labeled Americana if released today, especially the 5 albums or so they put out 1970-72, including the 1st Garcia lp and Weir's Ace lp, which is one of the best 2-3 year output of any American band ever.

That being said The National will probably butcher this whole thing. Members of Vampire Weekend? Why?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 7:26 PM

Jeff Tweedy sounds like Jerry, get him man.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 7:55 PM

I've always felt that someone should make such a record... but jesus christ, not THESE people. Lee and Ira have too much actual dead-cred to be associated with this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 11:00 PM

I hope they do Shakedown street over and over for six hours then we'll see who is a dead head

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 11:08 PM

There have been countless Grateful Dead tribute albums in the past, the best of which is probably Deadicated from 1991, featuring Elvis Costello, Warren Zevon, Midnight Oil, Dr. John, and others. Why this current group want to reinvent the wheel is, well, pretty clueless.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 11:42 PM

I won't listen to this with Mehpire Weekend being involved.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2013 11:45 PM

like Timothy explained I cant believe that a stay at home mom able to get paid $4404 in one month on the computer. did you look at this web link ,,,, http://Jam10.ℂom

Posted by rosalie williams | August 3, 2013 9:05 AM

subliminal message they will play Barclays also couple of songs will feat. Jay-eeasZ

Posted by KazukoVox | August 3, 2013 10:01 AM

7:26 is an idiot. The best 2-3 year run of an American band is CCR.

I thought everyone got over their "I hate the Dead" thing a long time ago? Only aging "punks" still think that. And they're clowns.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:30 AM

11:30

Don't stereotype. I'm an old punk and I love the Dead. "Ripple" is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. When they get into a jug band/ bluegrass thing they are at their best. And their early stuff with Pigpen was great, esp, "Lovelight" on Live/Dead. And some of their electronic/ feedback shit sounds exactly like what a lot of bands are doing today. Not into hippie shit just great music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:57 AM

Yeah, the Dead gets a bad rap among punk and rocker types, and did do some great music, but let's be real, some pretty bad stuff too.

Lots of those same rich kids have now moved on to ruin American underground (formerly known as "indie") music, and some of the worst offenders appear here. Bon Iver? The National? Even Phil Collins and Steve Winwood think you guys are pussies. If you're going to ape Top 40 from the '80s, one of the low points of pop music, at least have hooks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 12:22 PM

1130 You are the idiot. "is one of the best 2-3 year output of any American band ever" Yes CCR would be another.

1222 "The fact that they're more associated with creating "trustifarian" culture" Where do you get this stupidity from? "but let's be real, some pretty bad stuff too" Like most bands that were around for a long time, not everything was top notch but pretty bad? Explain. "American underground" ha ha. There is no such thing.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 2:57 PM

Doubters, just listen to Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Live Dead and find Atlanta, Fox Theater 1977 on Spotify.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 3:08 PM

308 Don't forget the 1st Weir (Ace) and Garcia (Garcia) albums from 1972 which were really Dead albums and contained some of their most popular tunes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 5:29 PM

i love when dead fans get all hyperbolic.

i've tried listening to the dead in every decade of my existence (about 4 now), and they still continue to be one of the most deadly boring, overrated bands of all time. additionally, they have inspired countless other infinitely boring, overrated bands.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:09 PM

11:09, I agree. But, I can understand how it would be profoundly enjoyable because of a connection through mushrooms or acid.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2013 11:36 PM

1109 No one is getting "all hyperbolic". To each their own but they are not overrated, whatever that means. I agree about all of the junk they influenced though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 1:17 AM

11:09 probably says the same shit about Led Zeppelin, the Ramones and Sonic Youth too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 1:43 AM

Hey 2:57 if you're disputing that the Dead cultivated an audience of spoiled rich "hippies" living on trust funds, and have released hours of terrible music, you're living in the dark.

And if you don't think that there's been a vibrant American popular music underground (that the Dead themselves were a part of in the mid/late sixties, and ultimately became one of the things the underground rebelled against), you need to do some reading and research.

Don't let your ignorance define you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 11:07 AM

1107 You are a clueless idiot. You have no idea what you are talking about. "The fact that they're more associated with creating "trustifarian" culture than anyone else is the biggest black mark against them." I think they are known for music by most people except fools like you. How exactly does a band "cultivate an audience of spoiled rich "hippies" living on trust funds"? How is that done? Please explain!
I'm not the biggest Dead fan but hours of terrible music? I'm sure millions of fans would disagree.
As for the "American Underground", the internet pretty much killed that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 2:56 PM

256 My thoughts exactly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2013 6:19 PM

^I love when posters agree with themselves. The only way anyone would get so offended at the suggestion of a trust fund-enabled culture is because they're a member of said culture.

Before you suggest that this is bullshit again, here's a piece from CNN where Lesh himself describes his fan base as trust fund kids:

The actual quote:

"I wish I could say I once quit my job to follow the Grateful Dead in my VW bus," I tell him. "But honestly, I'm just not that cool."

The bass player chuckles. "It's mostly trust-fund kids," he confides. "They're the only ones who are able to do that."

Even the band realizes this. Deniers are guilty!

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2013 12:07 AM

love the Dead. sometimes they sounded amazing, occasionally they sounded awful (looking at you Donna)...the question is does anyone really need to hear a mediocre tribute to them done by a bunch of indie rock dudes? the answer is no.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2013 10:52 AM

AWESOME!!! Another great version of my absolute favorite song!!

Posted by Zachary | February 21, 2014 1:34 PM

I used to do all these things with my friends when I was a child, it's great how they're adults and their having a blast! NOSTALGIA!

Posted by Lee | March 12, 2014 7:30 AM

You crack me up with this pickle stuff! Do you eat fried pickles! Good song by the way

Posted by Carl | May 14, 2014 6:03 AM