Posted in music | pictures on October 16, 2013

Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck @ Beacon Theatre - 10/15/13 (via Evan Agostini)
Brian Wilson

Beach Boy Brian Wilson and guitar maestro Jeff Beck are on a tour together (that also includes ex-Beach Boys Al Jardine and Dave Marks), and that tour came to NYC for a show at Beacon Theatre last night (10/15). It was doubly special because it featured Blondie Chaplin (who sang lead on the album version of "Sail On Sailor"), but triply special because Brian unexpectedly performed the classic 1966 Beach Boys album Pet Sounds in its entirety! From Rolling Stone's review:

Jeff Beck is along for the ride, too, and is in the middle of recording a new album with Wilson. At first glance the pairing seems completely incongruous, since the 1960s British blues rock scene had little in common with the Surf Wall of Sound that Brian created 5,000 miles away in Los Angeles. But the minute the former Yardbird played the opening notes of "Surf's Up" on the guitar - flawlessly recreating the original vocal melody while Wilson and his bandmates contributed gorgeous backing vocals - the pairing made complete sense. These are artists with a lot of mutual respect, and they've found a way to perfectly compliment each other.

The show began promptly at 8:00 PM with Wilson and his band performing a beautiful a-cappella rendition of "Their Hears Were Full of Spring" by the Four Freshman, a formative influence on Wilson. After getting the crowd on their feet with "California Girls," they brought out Blondie Chaplin - a man whose tenure in the Beach Boys stretches from early 1972 all the way to late 1973. He cut two albums in that time period, and song lead on the classic "Sail on Sailor." Forty years later, he delivered it with pretty stunning vocal power and followed it up with the fan favorite "Wild Honey."

It was at this point that Wilson dropped the bomb: not only were they going to play "Wouldn't It Be Nice" next, but they it would be followed by the rest of Pet Sounds in sequence. It's the first time he's done the album in many years, and the first time he's ever done an album without any prior announcement. The audience was stunned into silence, and didn't seem to even believe it was true until sometime around "That's Not Me." They didn't have the string section from the Pet Sounds tour of 2000 - 2001, but the band was clearly up for the challenge.

Pet Sounds is a very demanding album for Wilson vocally, and although Jeff Foskett handled many of the higher notes, it was clear Wilson gave it everything he had. "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" has rarely been so touching, and "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)" was incredibly moving. "Now we're going to play, I think, the best song I ever wrote," he said before "God Only Knows." "And I've written a lot of songs." Nobody can match Carl Wilson's original vocals, but he still did a stellar job and got a huge standing ovation.

Afterwards, Jeff Beck took the stage for his portion of the set, which included Brian joining him for a few Smile classics, "Our Prayer," "Child Is Father of the Man," and "Surf's Up." Check out a couple videos and the full setlist below.

The tour continues in NJ tonight (10/16) at Wellmont Theatre, and after that Brian will be hanging around to play the Right to Rock benefit (which honors Darlene Love) on Thursday (10/17) at Cipriani (55 Wall Street) with Elvis Costello, Jake Clemons, Paul Schaffer and many more special guests. There will also be a live and silent charity auction, which features "prizes like dinner with Maureen & Steven Van Zandt, a guitar signed by Bruce Springsteen and a private tour of Carlo's Bakery." $1000 tickets are available, and proceeds benefit Little Kids Rock.

Videos and the setlist below...

Brian Wilson & friends - "Help Me Rhonda" at Beacon Theatre - 10/15/13

Brian Wilson, Jeff Beck & friends - "Surfin' USA" at Beacon Theatre - 10/15/13

Brian Wilson at Beacon Theatre - 10/15/13 Setlist: (via)
Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
California Girls (The Beach Boys song)
Sail On, Sailor (The Beach Boys song) (with Blondie Chaplin)
Wild Honey (The Beach Boys song) (with Blondie Chaplin)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (The Beach Boys song)
You Still Believe in Me (The Beach Boys song)
That's Not Me (The Beach Boys song)
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder) (The Beach Boys song)
I'm Waiting for the Day (The Beach Boys song)
Let's Go Away for Awhile (The Beach Boys song)
Sloop John B (The Beach Boys song)
God Only Knows (The Beach Boys song)
I Know There's an Answer (The Beach Boys song)
Here Today (The Beach Boys song)
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times (The Beach Boys song)
Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys song)
Caroline, No (The Beach Boys song)
Good Vibrations (The Beach Boys song)
Help Me, Rhonda (The Beach Boys song)
I Get Around (The Beach Boys song)
Fun, Fun, Fun (The Beach Boys song)

With Jeff Beck
Our Prayer (The Beach Boys song)
Child Is Father of the Man (The Beach Boys song)
Surf's Up (The Beach Boys song)

Encore:
Barbara Ann (The Regents cover)
Surfin' U.S.A. (The Beach Boys song)

Encore 2:
Danny Boy

THAT'S fucking awesome

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 3:16 PM

I snagged a ticket at the last minute and I'm sooooo glad I did. Blondie Chaplin was a great addition. Beck was awesome. And when they said they were doing Pet Sounds in full I almost lost my shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 3:31 PM

You forgot to credit Their Hearts Were Full of Spring as (The Four Freshmen song).

What's the matter, don;t like the Four Freshmen? If you are going so far as to credit Barbara Ann to the Regents, give some credit where credit is due to The Four Freshmen.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 3:40 PM

shit, damn, piss, balls this is really awesome!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 3:41 PM

I wonder what Mike Love thought when he heard about this?! No cars medley?! No Kokomo?! Dude hated Pet Sounds. Good for Brian. Dude has been to hell and back, but yet was very entertaining last night. He seemed to be very happy on stage. Blondie Chaplin sounded phenomenal on Sail on Sailor & Wild Honey, which was a treat.

Thank you to the person who listed my tickets I bought for half price via stubhub. This show made my year.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 3:57 PM

th erap ejoke is that the next day he gave you Pet Sounds. No relaly. Pet Sounds. He said he was sorry and thenhe gave you Pet Sounds. Come on, that's a little bit funny.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 4:04 PM

@3:57

How much was your ticket and where was your seat?

I decided not to go because Wilson would have been completely wooden/predictable on stage, didn't care about Jeff Beck, and thought maybe at least half the setlist, if not more, would be songs other than classics (like maybe Jeff's stuff?)... I was wrong. Shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 4:41 PM

I'm not 3:57, but I got a ticket on stubhub for $75 after stubhub fees. I think the face plus ticket master fees was like $125 for the seat.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 4:51 PM

The concert was the best...perfection...

Posted by shereelee lennard | October 16, 2013 4:52 PM

You left out the Jeff Beck setlist and any mention of him playing his own hour and 10 minute set.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 6:16 PM

That's because Jeff Beck is uninteresting

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 6:26 PM

killer show...

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 6:36 PM

Dead wrong, 6:26. Jeff Beck is a phenomenal musician. Just because he doesn't sing, doesn't mean he is not a talented songwriter. He's better than Clapton and way too often overlooked.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 9:04 PM

^I can't believe these morons are discussing Jeff Beck's worth!

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 9:14 PM

Yeah...I'm kinda pissed I didn't go to this.

Posted by Anonymous | October 16, 2013 10:00 PM

hahah. shitty wellmont did not get this show. the beacon gig was incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2013 11:28 AM

The show at the Beacon was FANTISIC !!AWSOME !! Beck, Wilson, Jardine, Marks !! the Sound Perfect...& Yes 6:26 Is A MORON !!

Posted by HARRYKARI | October 17, 2013 5:15 PM

Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson who what have thought... Jeff Beck is truly AMAZING as always

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2013 9:48 PM

Hell, I had been there. These clips are awesome. Props to 71 year-old Al Jardine who still sounds like a kid when he sings Help Me Rhonda. Definitely the most underappreciated guy in the band.

Awesome that Jeff Beck, one of the greatest guitarists of the rock era (or any era), collaborated with Brian Wilson, one of the greatest songwriters of the rock era (or any era). Bloody fantastic.

Posted by Reaper | November 1, 2013 3:24 PM

There's Blondie Chaplin singing and playing tambourine.So great to see him up there and singing Sail on Sailor as well.A great singer and guitarist.

Posted by Riccio | October 23, 2014 3:58 AM