Posted in music | tour dates on October 4, 2013

Hawkwind

Hawkwind, whose collaborators include William Shatner, have sadly just announced:

As many of you will now be aware, Dave was taken ill a couple of weeks ago. Doctors have confirmed that his condition is stress related, aggravated by the trademark dispute in the United States which could result in years of litigation.

After enduring a series of tests, Dave has now been advised that it could be dangerous to his health to embark on a grueling 14,000 mile tour at this time.

After much discussion about possible ways forward, the members of the band have reluctantly decided that it is necessary to reschedule the dates to March 2014, rather than putting Dave's health at unnecessary risk. (New dates for each venue will be announced next week)

Whilst we understand that this will come as a big disappointment to those of you who have booked tickets, as it does to ourselves, we are equally sure that you will understand health concerns must take priority.

Hawkwind's tour was supposed to hit Gramercy Theater in NYC next week, three venues in Texas, Chicago and many more places. Get well soon Dave and stay tuned for the new dates.

Meanwhile, Nik Turner's Space Ritual is heading out as planned.

FUCK... was so looking forward to this next week

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 6:35 PM

my dad is totally bummed

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 7:13 PM

I'm totally bummed and I'm probably younger than your dad.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 7:20 PM

Please reschedule it somewhere other than Gramercy. Even T5 would be an improvement.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 7:24 PM

My husband had tickets for the Philly show but I think health issues take precedent. I hope he has a quick recovery. Get well soon!

Posted by Gina | October 4, 2013 7:51 PM

I was flying in from the west coast had hotel booked non refundable, fuck...you'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 10:18 PM

An yes, the great Hwkwind. Sure to have been a babefest.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 10:26 PM

Stress , caused by Nik Turner ! Are you for real . Grow a set of balls already . Why don't you try working for a living 40 hours a week . That's stress , not because Nik Turners new album " gypsy " smokes all the hawkwind albums since live 79

Posted by larry | October 4, 2013 10:40 PM

Predictions for February 2014 cancellation announcements, anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 10:45 PM

Hawkwind gets my girl in the mood for finger banging. What should I do?

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 11:37 PM

I bet Brock knows Nik Turner's show will blow his away.Saw Turner and Hawkwind in 92 when Nik had Helios Creed in his band...Smoked them then and probably will smoke them now...Turner, Not Brock, is the real Hawkwind

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2013 11:48 PM

Brock was good but Dibs was the emotional core. I saw the 'Wind at Longeshaft Meadow for only 20 quid in 1988. It changed my life.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2013 12:00 AM

There was never a Brockwind tour to begin with. Brock's ego caught wind of Turner's tour and quickly mustered up his dates knowing he would not fulfill them. Turner announced his tour after Brock's even if in the works months before, then looks like he is the one riding on the coattails. Brock intentionally cancels tour and blames Turner to turn HW fans against him to try and bury his career once and for all. I feel bad for all the HW fans who are now let down but worst of all being manipulated by these dramatic childish actions. At the end of the day Brock is insecure about his band and his creative ability. Its sad to see a 72 year old man and his wife act like such babies.

Posted by SpaceTime | October 5, 2013 2:09 PM

n Chicago Nik turner space ritual tours in 1994 & 1995 were great. Just like space ritual hawkwind era . Audio generators , del detmar , Helios creed , Tommy , del Rio . It was great ! Always catch nik in chicago and Milwaukee . Catch Hawk wind too but since hawklords era , brocks hawkwind too much mellow music for me . Stress is actually working 40 a week , getting laid off , getting sick with diseases , divorces ,,etc. Not being smoked by nik Turner making albums like gypsy and tours like space ritual 94 & 95 that bring back that great hawkind wall of sound from the 1972 hawk wind

Posted by larry urick | October 5, 2013 3:07 PM

bummed but relieved i don't have to stay up late next sunday... nin on monday...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2013 4:13 PM

So Nik Turner decides to try and steal the band's name by registering a trademark in America, after losing the same fight in court in England, and somehow this is acceptable to some of you? And get your facts straight, there was no Turner tour until Hawkwind announced their tour.

Brock has been working under the Hawkwind name non-stop for 44 years. Who gives a damn about Turner? He's a footnote who was in the band 37 years ago. So if Alan Davey started touring as Alan's Hawkwind playing his own songs that would be OK too? Then we'd have Harvey's Hawkwind and on and on. Those guys were in the band longer than Turner but they have enough self respect to use a different name and not try to trick the fans. Every time Hawkwind announce something big Turner crawls out from under whatever rock he lives under and starts calling himself Hawkwind again. Did it ever occur to you that every time Turner plays some gig for a few bucks that it makes it harder for Hawkwind to get gigs? The dumb-ass booking agents get offered Hawkwind and they are too stupid to realize that the band that played a few weeks before that only drew a couple of hundred people weren't Hawkwind so they turn down the real band, thinking that Hawkwind isn't a draw. What venue is going to pay to bring the real band over from England with their whole light and dance show when they have a half-assed tribute band playing next door the week before for a quarter of the price calling themselves Hawkwind? Turner's solo career went nowhere so he just keeps sticking it to the poor bastards that keep the name alive with a new Hawkwind album every year. Even if Dave was somehow wrong, what about Richard who has been providing Hawkwind music for the last 30 years? Do you think it's fair to him? If Turner is so great why doesn't he just use his own name? Because he knows that the Hawkwind name brings in people who wouldn't show up otherwise. If you guys are such big Turner fans why are you reading a page about Hawkwind? Go comment on the Nik Turner page. Oh yeah that's right there isn't one.

Posted by SheriffNottingham | October 5, 2013 4:52 PM

If you want proof here are the two links. Hawkwind announce American tour June 13th, http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/06/hawkwind_commem.html

Turner announces his tour just ten weeks later. Just enough time to get it booked.

He starts his two days after Hawkwind would hav e started their tour. Playing at least eight of the same markets. And for those of you who have never been in a court trying to save everything that you've spent your whole life working for, just don't talk about 40 hour work weeks. Real stress is 60 hours a week dealing with lawyers for years on end while still trying to pay the bills.

Posted by SheriffNottingham | October 5, 2013 6:17 PM

What a line of nonsense . Brock ignored the USA since the 70's .he toured America twice in 40 years . Now nik Turner decides to tour here comes Brock . Brock acting like a high school jealous of someones boyfriend . He can't tour and ill disappoint people because of nik turner stress ! Ha ha ha ha ! Nik Turner is a founding member of hawkind . He wrote the two hawk wind anthems brainstorm and master of the universe . He has just as much right to be part of the trademark as brock . All the original members do .

Posted by larry urick | October 5, 2013 10:00 PM

"Go comment on the Nik Turner page. Oh yeah that's right there isn't one."

Nik's playing shows, and Dave isn't.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2013 10:13 PM

You can't comment on the hawk wind forum page and mention any original member other than Dave . Dave brock will censor it and ban you . He has become just what he used to complain , a censor

Posted by larry | October 5, 2013 10:47 PM

Without the founding members and space ritual era members Dave ,Nik, Simon and Terry , Lemmy , Dik mik , Del , Robert , even Stacia , there would be no Hawkwind today . Brock should have included all the ones above in the trademark in UK but he tried just take care of himself . Could Jon lord trademark deep purple and leave out Ritchie blackmore just because he was in the band a lot more years than Richie blackmore . Stress over nik ! Ha! Grow up already Dave b.

Posted by larry | October 5, 2013 11:34 PM

Hummus Wind?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 12:27 AM

HW sure do look like a bunch of big babies now don't they. If there really was a tour why didn't they tour anyways without Brock?? Oh yeah!! The con artists never bought the airfare! I bet they still took a big advance from the american venues. And what do I hear?? Even if Brock wanted to he would have to clear the GBH charge to get an american visa. What a bunch of wank! Ever get the feeling you've been cheated??

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 2:46 AM

dude is like 70 let's see how you handle it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 3:05 AM

Dude when I'm 70 I will be full of energy... Keep in mind though I am familiar with the power of Phyto-Nutrients.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 4:36 AM

Brock is familiar with the power of acid. It's why he can't deal with the stress caused by Nik Turner's continuing existence. Ever had a rough day after a night of excess chickpea consumption? Take that and multiply it by fifty years and a billion micrograms of dirty LSD.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 5:58 AM

This is so fucked. I just bought tickets last week. Needless to say I'll be supporting Turner's Space Ritual (for only twelve dollars and at a more intimate venue nonetheless), and even if Brock reschedules dates I may say fuck it and sell my tickets. What kind of reason is another integral founding member of the band putting on their own tour to cancel your own? Respect has been lost in this situation, that's for damn sure.

Posted by Axel Wheeler | October 6, 2013 12:24 PM

...and to call Nik Turner a footnote in the career of Hawkwind is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. "Master of the Universe"? "D-Rider"?? Not to mention the trademark sax playing on songs like "Upside Down", "Time We Left This World Today", "Steppenwolf" and countless others. A footnote about a member who contributed immensely to crafting the uniqueness of the bands sound, maybe. Get your shit straight, whoever said that.

Posted by Axel Wheeler | October 6, 2013 12:34 PM

If you bothered to click on the links I posted you'd see that Hawkwind booked their tour ten weeks BEFORE Turner. And seriously, "Hawkwind haven't toured since the 70s?"

Hawkwind toured the USA in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1995, 1997 and then in 1998 they had to play without Dave when he was stopped at the border. Dave has had visa problems with US immigration since the 70s making it REALLY tough for him to get into the USA. It can take years and tons of money to sort that out, once they did Hawkwind headlined shows in America in 2007.

So by your reckoning Turner contributed to two or three songs forty years ago and that gives him the right to claim the Hawkwind trademark?

Did it ever occur to you that if Turner's trademark application is approved that Hawkwind's Visa applications would be rejected? Try being a foreigner doing business in the USA using someone elses trademark.

I have a great idea I'll book a tour for The Beatles. Pete Best can show up. I'm sure he contributed to a few of their songs sixty years ago. Obviously I'll sell loads of tickets and I'm sure McCartney and US immigration wouldn't object to him using the name.

Posted by SheriffNottingham | October 6, 2013 1:53 PM

Get your facts straight Axel. While not exactly a footnote, Nik's contribution was not anything near what you are inflating it to be.

Between 1970-7976 Nik only contributed six songs - and relied on other Hawks (including Dave Brock) for the music to go with his lyrics. Otherwise he was mainly known for wearing a frog suit and honking wrong notes all over everyone elses playing. That worked in the early years when they were a semi-primitive repetiive jamming band, but less so as the years progressed and the playing improved. (hello Simon House!) Dave wasn't alone in sacking im - Robert Calvert and Simon King both stated in interviews at the time that they were entirely for it.

Outside of a rather ill conceived decision on Dave's part to let him back into the band to sing lead vocals and honk his horn (Dec 83 - January 85) Nik hasn't had any noteworthy involvement with the band for 36 years. Meanwhile, Dave has been touring and releasing albums non-stop ever since, and with far better musicians (Huw Lloyd Langton, Alan Davey, Richard Chadwick etc.)

Nik's schtick (seemingly) is to pop up whenever Hawkwind tries to build up their U.S, presence with a tour. He jumps in, undercuts their ticket price, steals their name and plays the same old Space Ritual era material with a bunch of hack musicians.

I'll never forget how pissed off I was when I bought "Hawkwind" tickets in '94 only to find out it was going to be Nik plus some crap guys from L.A. (the inclusion of Del Detmar and Alan Powell do not make it "Hawkwind" folks..)

He's a parasite. It's as simple as that. Taking advantage of other people's hard work - decades of hard work.

Posted by Eric Holst | October 6, 2013 2:36 PM

lot of creepy geezers in this thread

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 5:21 PM

Eat hummus. Eat it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2013 7:53 PM

What a bunch of nonsense again. Who fired Robert and Simon king ? Brock did . If you think that tour of 1994 with that 3 piece taped synth mellow crap compared to niks tour with del dettmar actually using audio generators manually , with the great Helios creed then your sad . The albums Dave has released since the 70's have driven many fans away . That's why they have lost a big part of the Dan base . And tours don't of the USA don't mean 1 show . And you give yourself away as biased to brock by the totally ridiculous statement that space ritual era hawk wind was just repetative junk while Brock makes polished music ! And your statement that nik , lemmy and simon king are inferior musicians to Hugh langton and Richard is just sad.

Posted by larry | October 6, 2013 10:59 PM

I will see nik and his band in Chicago and Milwaukee and get a refund for the Chicago and Milwaukee hawk shows . Got a feeling a lot of working people like me who have rearranged their lives expecting to see shows . Will not be doing the same in march to be inconvenienced again by Brock .

Posted by larry | October 7, 2013 12:32 AM

Gee Larry, you might want to read up on the band a bit before you get all charged up. (Carol Clerk wrote a good bio..) Dave didn't oust Robert Calvert. The man left on his own in early '79 while they were writing and rehearsing at Rockfield. Simon was sacked because he couldn't keep time due to his drug and alcohol issues in '80. Bootlegs of his drumming on Levitation tracks vs. Ginger Baker's over the very same backing tracks tells the story quite plainly.

I never said that the music on Space Ritual was repetitive junk either. I stated that their earliest recordings were quite primitive in the beginning - and that as they improved Nik's lack of ability stood out more and more. (Text of Festival is one of many releases that bears this out.) Part of why Space Ritual sounds so good is that Nik's playing was lowered in the mix. (check Space Ritual Vol. 2 for differently mixed recordings - sometimes of the same material as on the original.)

I am definitely not biased. I have and enjoy all the Hawkind releases, as well as over a hundred concert tapes, all the Calvert material, every Motorhead album, Simon Houses' releases - and yes - all of Nik's work up to now: from Sphinx, through I.C.U, his '90's Cleopatra releases - but I'm not buying the new one, in spite of the fact that I heard it and found it to be good.

His trademarking the name of a band he has not worked in for decades, a band has worked quite hard to give their fans high quality music and concerts (whether you personally like them or not)is nasty, spiteful and underhanded. Quite the opposite of the rap he's always going on about being "the spirit of Hawkwind." It's just too low a blow. I'm done with him. Many HW fans are done with him.

but yes - I do think Helios Creed is way overrated. You've got me on that one. Nik's band played better in '95 when he wasn't part of the show.

Posted by Eric Holst | October 7, 2013 12:47 AM

I do have my facts straight. even if Nik Turner just "honked wrong notes" most of the time in the early days, it usually added a fucked up unique quality to the music that wouldn't have been the same without it. Like all of Space Ritual, which lets face it, might as well be the only Hawkwind album that ever existed to a large chunk of the population. Lemmy, Nik Turner and Del Dettmar are the true stars of that record and people,sure do treat it like a masterpiece no matter how primitive it may be. To say Nik Turner wasn't an integral part of making the band who they were is just dumb no matter how much he may have actually written. The Calvert era Hawkwind is my favorite material they ever did, but still... Come on. This tour cancellation thing just comes as a big slap in the face to me. I've been waiting for a chance to see hawkwind for a long time. I'm only 25 and they've pretty much been my favorite band since high school . I'll more than likely have to be in jail in march due to a DUI charge and will probably miss the show I've looked forward to for years when I was unbelievably stoked that I would finally get the chance because stress related problems forced them to postpone it. Fuck that. . I know it sounds like I'm just bitching about things that are my own fault anyway. But this is a huge rip off to me personally. I've definitely got the feeling that ive been cheated. Of course Im going to the Space Ritual show. Maybe its just becauae I'm young and didnt live through all the conflicts and events as a hawkwind fan over the years like all the old heards, but all the animosity that goes on and causes shit like this to happen just seems like a huge load of bullshit to me. Really.

Posted by Axel Wheeler | October 7, 2013 3:17 PM

You don't read very carefully do you Larry? I didn't say 98 was a tour. They did one show in Cleveland because Brock was stopped at the border from Canada. The rest of the shows were then cancelled.

In 2007 they were scheduled for five shows. They came over to play them. The first show went fine, then after that they started to have problems getting paid. They ended up doing three of the five shows then gave up. The usual bullsh*t of promoters not coughing up the cash. And Eric is correct, Calvert quit and the band imploded on the 1978 tour of the USA. Calvert was seriously ill. They've never had it easy in the USA since the very beginning when the IRS confiscated all their equipment in the middle of the 1974 tour. And boohoo to all you twats who were inconvenienced because Dave got sick. I suppose you'd got your money's worth if he'd shown up and died on stage in front of you. Morons.

Posted by SherriffNottingham | October 7, 2013 3:29 PM

Hi all,

I booked the Nik Turner tour and just wanted to set a few things straight:

I saw Nik Turner's band play at SXSW in March 2013. That's when we began the dialog for a US tour this fall. At that time, there was no knowledge of inkling that Brock was also planning a trip.

I have heard rumors that Brock announced his dates in order to counter ours, but I don't believe rumors. Brock had a great tour set up, and is disappointing a ton of fans that just want to see Hawkwind material played live. To try to blame the cancellation on "trademark related stress" seems like a huge stretch to me.

I was advised when Brock's band announced that they would never make it here, and that it would be canceled. Since that has now come to pass, it does seem odd.

Anyway, the good news is that Nik Turner is here, his band is great, and that tour is hitting most markets. Hope you enjoy the shows as much as I did. That show in March as SXSW was the best set I saw in 5 days there.

Posted by Nanotear | October 7, 2013 4:02 PM

I found out info from a reliable source a
friend who works at the US Embassy, that one of the
members of Hawkwind (Dave Brock) application
to enter the US was rejected. I noticed from various websites (http://goo.gl/7J3Fs) that their is speculation that is the reason that he canceled the tour. Which now seems to be confirmed.

Posted by Angela Stuart | October 7, 2013 6:19 PM

Unless you have actual proof you can point us to, Angela, you are merely spreading rumors and stirring the pot. You have nothing. Well, maybe some ill will and an axe to grind towards DB. Anyway, all of MY friends at the US Embassy say the application rejection rumors aren't true and don't know who the heck you even are.

Posted by Space Rider | October 7, 2013 10:03 PM

Right, the US tour was cancelled strictly because of Dave's utterly debilitating stress illness (which I predict will be completely resolved by November 4 just in time for their UK dates).

Personally, as a fan of Hawkwind in the US, Nik Turner has done far more for me than Dave Brock, I've seen him perform 4 times including the legendary 1994 tour with Sleep and enjoyed his releases on Cleopatra. All we get from Brock is sour grapes. I plan on getting a refund for my two tickets, and will see what happens in March if anything, but if Brock won't or can't come over here then so be it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2013 11:01 AM

DC show has already been rescheduled for March 15.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2013 11:31 AM

Anonymous > rescheduled March shows are already popping up for March. Hawkwind is still coming. Whether you personally choose to see them or not is your own business but they are incredible these days IMHO

I don't get the "sour grapes" remark, unless you mean Dave's miffed that he worked tirelessly to steer the HW ship for the last 30 years, only to have Nik attempt to TM the name behind his back. It may be only music to you - but the legal and practical ramifications of such a move are quite serious.

You don't really need to hate Dave to enjoy Nik. I saw the Thunder Rider in '94 (and '95) as well. Can't say I like the Cleopatra studio albums, as Sphinx was just a poor remake of Xitintoday, and Prophets of Time just rehashed old ICU songs (plus one nice instrumental from House) - but the live albums were really good.

Enjoy the Nik show, but I do hope you can someday get over your "Nik good Dave Bad" issues. If you check on Nik's Facebook page you'll find many people who were either in the band, (like Keith Kniveton) intimately related to them, (like Marion Lloyd Langton) biographers (Ian Abrahams) etc of them - they have all called Nik out on his actions and pleaded for him to cease his legal action. They know a bit more about the true situation than you.

Posted by Space Rider | October 8, 2013 11:32 AM

The facts are interesting for sure, and my opinion is admittedly only slightly more advanced than 'Dave bad Nik good', but in general, I follow bands that are willing to come to play shows for my enjoyment, and dismiss ones that are not, regardless that the reasons may be deeply justifiable to the artist. Money (the 'problems getting paid' issue from 2007), tax issues from the 70's, visas, this issue now be it based on legitimate illness or valid legal issues or spite, even Dave's presumed refusal to be in that BBC documentary because Nik was in it, are negatives that have accumulated unflatteringly over many years = sour grapes. That type of stuff results me not caring much about the guy's art, simple as that.

Feel free to clarify the 'real' explanations for these scenarios at length, however my reactions are those of a simple dissapointed punter. Thank god Blue Cheer didn't act this way and I was able to see them play amazing shows in the last years before Dickie Peterson died. That band had class.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2013 12:15 PM

When Dave refused to be in the BBC film he was right in the middle of the lawsuit with Nik who had been doing the same crap in England. Every time Hawkwind booked dates, Turner appeared and booked dates around them. So Dave's supposed to go from the courtroom in the morning to buddying around with Nik in the afternoon? Give me a break.

Surely it isn't hard to understand how this hurts everyone? It cuts attendance, the clubs pay them less, so they can't pay the crew or the truck rentals and equipment companies. Lighting people. Not everyone out there in dimwit music-land understands that when they book Nik Turner's Hawkwind there's a difference to the real Hawkwind. They book them, pay less, get less turnout and then turn their back on the real thing when its offered. The comments on this blog prove how little some of the fans know about the history of all this.

If Turner would just do the honest thing and play dates at different times in different places under the Space Ritual banner none of this would be happening. But it's like he's either incredibly spiteful or incredibly stupid. Christ, even Roger Waters who wrote ALL the words and tons of the music didn't go out and call himself Pink Floyd and at the time he was as angry and arrogant as they come. Turner is supposed to be all about love and harmony, even if he hates Dave he needs to stop crapping on the rest of Hawkwind and deceiving the fans and the promoters. This trademark thing is the last straw. I actually believed that he was the real hippy in the band but this move proves he is an opportunist and hypocrite of the worst kind or he's being given really bad advice from some numbnut. I own all his music, but I'll never buy any more if this goes through.

Posted by SherriffNottingham | October 8, 2013 2:04 PM

Brock needs to grow some balls . He got stress due to nik Turner ? What a crock . Go get a real job for a living . And sheriff go back to posting on the hawk wind forum where they censor . Except for the kiss asses that call the original members a bunch of names . Evear that term live by the sword , die by the sword . Well now nik has money and a record label behind him in the USA case . When
Dave filed his trademark , nik didn't have the funds . He couldn't fight it . Dave knew that too . Dave music drove many fans away . I know many USA fans that left because of those crappy business of the future, electric teeppee , palace springs , RCA lps , etc. Fans want the 1970's music , not the Brock mellow garbage of the last 30 years .

Posted by larry | October 8, 2013 8:29 PM

Hot Wings!

Posted by David Aguilera | October 8, 2013 9:54 PM

Such childish anger, Larry. Real "Spirit of the Age" you exemplify there.. Enjoy listening to the first six albums for the rest of your life. If that's what you prefer then that's your right and more power to you.

Don't blindly assume everyone else is like you though. Did you know those Dave's Bronze and RCA albums charted as well or better in the UK than most of the old UA albums? True. And let's get real - no band in existence sells as many albums after 40 years as they did in their heyday - not a single one. Nature of the beast you know.. Teens prefer Bieber. (sad but so.)

I prefer newer Hawkwind. I also really like Nik's Inner City Unit albums. I get that you only like the old band - that's cool. I just don't get where the anger is coming from. Dave was a huge part of the old band. He wrote quite a lot of the material back then too, check the credits - and that blazing guitar.. Listen to the first 20 seconds of Brainstorm. Best album opener outside of Electric Teepee - and It's all Dave (and some chemicals I'm sure.)

Lighten up Larry - we may prefer opposite ends of their musical history - but it's good to know you're a fan of any era of their music.

Onward.

Posted by Eric Holst | October 8, 2013 10:28 PM

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Nik turner's touring band called "Space Ritual"? I mean i know he billed himself as Hawkwind years ago but that seems totally irrelevant in this situation if he's not doing it now.

Posted by Axel Derp | October 9, 2013 12:42 AM

No - He's Billing it as "Nik Turner Ex-Hawkwind". (NiK Turner in small letters - HAWKWIND in BIG ones..)

The big stink is that he is taking legal action to trademark the name "Hawkwind" for the U.S. In spite of the fact that he hasn't been involved with that band in 30 years - and that they've gone on with consistent tours and albums between then and now without his involvement.

Space Ritual is another band he was in, that is comprised of ex-Hawkwind members. They're not too happy with him now either.

Posted by Eric Holst | October 9, 2013 12:56 AM

Naw, it's 'Nik Turner's Hawkwind' now, have a look at the Nanotear Agency site (badass work on this, Nate).

Now that 'the' Hawkwind cancelled and ran away, there's only one band standing. No more of that pesky uninformed dimwit fan confusion. Case closed!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2013 11:28 AM

Gee, one would never guess you were a friend of 'ole Nate's would they? Could your head be farther up his ass? Maybe I'll catch you at one of Nik's shows. It won't be hard for you to spot me, I'll be the only other one there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2013 4:47 PM

^Whatever, dick. You Brock fans are a bunch of real winners.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2013 5:19 PM

I was thinking about going to see this in DC tonight and of course now I know about the problems. Sucks

Posted by ng8 | October 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Nik has always done bitter so well, he's got such a big ego, that it's much bigger than HW ever were, and a lot of this stuff massages it even more, it means some people are still getting sucked in and provide him with a pedestal for his messianic tendencies. In fact, his ego will soon be so vast, it could possibly endanger the earth. I think Lemmy was bang on when he called him a self-righteous, brought him down to earth a bit, well, for a while at least.

Posted by MandyWitch | October 16, 2013 4:44 PM

remember when there were two bands calling themselves deep purple? what the hell is wrong with you people?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 4:29 AM

death gripswind

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 4:31 AM

As a fan of over 40 years, I can say that I have good knowledge of the contribution of the many memmbers who have passed through the band. Having also seen them recently at Jodrell Bank, I can also say that the band is very much Hawkwind and on great form. I can also say that much of Nik's output since he was sacked (twice)has been very patch. Brock's Hawkwind is the real McCoy, NTs band is a tribute band,

Posted by Hairy the Large | October 21, 2013 6:29 AM

I'd rather see a good tribute to 1972-1975 than what has survived to the present day. What this world really needs is a new dancer like Stacia in her prime, backed by a bunch of total freaks who try to upstage one another all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 7:32 AM

This is Lemmy before Motorhead and he's still just as amazing´╗┐

Posted by Anabel | November 1, 2013 1:48 PM

If anyone but Dave Brock has a moral right to play Hawkwind music, it's Nik Turner. A major player, not a footnote. And I saw his show recently and it was fun. At times, awesome. But he isn't behaving well here and I can see why Dave and the others are mad. Matter of fact, even Space Ritual (Nik's main Hawkwind-flavored band in the UK) has posted a disavowal of his US tour because (of course) it isn't them either. Check out their web page. Anyway, I'm looking forward to March!

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2013 5:08 PM

What about the Cleveland show which was scheduled for the Beachland ballroom? I am still holding on to my tickets but am I waiting in vain?

Posted by Thomas Marks | November 21, 2013 1:59 PM