Posted in music | tour dates on October 10, 2013

UPDATE: Check out pictures from the craziness.

IMAGE

Paul McCartney is full of surprises this week. Yesterday (10/9) the former Beatle played Frank Sinatra School of the Arts in Queens, and today he just tweeted that he'll be playing Times Square at 1 PM today (10/10). No other details yet, but if you work in the area, maybe it's time to take your lunch break.

UPDATE: The location is 46th & Broadway.

UPDATE: Check out pictures from the craziness.

----

In other news:
* Five Other Reasons Bands Cancel Shows
* Cat Power announced an acoustic show
* NPR CMJ Showcase announced

Oh cool, I work right here. Planning on going outside in 30 minutes to sock Paul in the face for sucking so hard over the years.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:29 PM

12:29 - Be sure to leave your Elmo costume on when you do it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:35 PM

Done and done.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:36 PM

12:29 - No reason to take it out on Macca just because you have to dress up like Dora everyday.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:45 PM

My lunch was a stale ham sandwich..this would have been a better choice for a lunch break.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:53 PM

This is part of the CBGB fest , right ?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:54 PM

mr. carter tries and there's a 'terrorist threat' and then macca gives it a go and everyones all smiles and sunshine.

raaaaaaaaacist

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 12:57 PM

Raaaaaaaandy

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:00 PM

I wonder how this will effect the brunch crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:03 PM

no one is brunching on a weekday in times square unless you consider a bloomin' onion at TGI Fridays brunch..

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:10 PM

I got my front row seat at Olive Garden! Bread Sticks, Endless Pasta and Macca and Chesse!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:25 PM

crap, i have to work ;(

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:34 PM

1:34 - classic words from a dude still laying in bed, dreaming of a better tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:38 PM

He just played 4 new songs. Was still cool to see him though.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:42 PM

^Ahh well..probably a good opportunity as any to see him up close and maybe get a hand shake?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:46 PM

Yeah bro, a "hand" shake.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 1:51 PM

Wack that the city is allowing this thing to clog up Broadway and surrounding streets with traffic.

Yo Bloomberg not everyone takes 2-3 hour lumch breaks like you and your pals in the Conde Nast Building.

Some people have to actually drive around the city to make deliveries.

Posted by D | October 10, 2013 2:07 PM

2:07

Macca > you

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 2:22 PM

Son, my boy D got opinions that destroy you like 42 decks... And his unwavering comment stamina is proof he be shooting up on that golden brown colored hummus with uncut Phyto-Nuttients. Don't f*ck with D, or you get the D in the B... Knameen?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 2:36 PM

2:22

???

'Not hip to your hipsterese, sorry.

Posted by D | October 10, 2013 2:44 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 4:05 PM

"wow. So your actual fans are still working full-time during this shitty recession. Tell me how they would be able to leave work and support you? They've only been supporting you for decades. You fuckin' egomaniac."

if you have been his fan for decades and are having financial troubles or can't take 75 minutes off from work (at exact lunch time) without getting fired, then that is probably your own fucking fault.

learn how to become fiscally solvent, or how to allow your decades worth of work to elevate you to some position of authority where you can take a break to check out McCartney.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 4:31 PM

^ Like you, right? I bet not.

Posted by D | October 10, 2013 5:05 PM

"Learn how to realize most people can't take off from work regardless of their financial situation, jackass."

Have a meeting? Reschedule it for an hour later or handle via blackberry, have another associate/partner/whatever sub for you for one fucking hour; if you've worked there for decades (even a few years, honestly) you should have that leeway.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 5:46 PM

"If you've been working for decades, you should be able to take off from work for 75 minutes for rare occurrences such as this."

Nonsense. Everyone has a different workplace situation.

"If not, then you're probably not respected as a professional, or are viewed as expendable, which are bigger problems."

Nonsense. It's the principle of the thing and you're generalizing. Riddle me this you jackass: I'm an executive of a company who has a VERY important 12pm lunch meeting with a company client which could net the company MILLIONS of dollars if I seal the deal. If the meeting runs to 1pm but it's not over yet and I take off to see Paul McCartney, I'm most likely fired, simple as that.

"Have a meeting? Reschedule it for an hour later or handle via blackberry, have another associate/partner/whatever sub for you for one fucking hour"

What if you can't reschedule it, handle it with a mobile device, or have an underling do your job, stupid? You're talking as if a worker is the boss or owner when he/she most likely isn't.

"If you've worked there for decades (even a few years, honestly) you should have that leeway."

Operative word "should". Well, what if you don't and since when is one entitled to be able to cut out of work for a concert?

"Plus, you can always lie/duck out, like I'm sure 80% of the crowd in Times Square did today."

Bullshit. Most people their were tourists, cutting school, unemployed, moms, college kids, and people on later lunch breaks.

"And this is coming from someone who has to list their work activities for billing in 10-minute intervals."

So what? Good for you that you can lie and get away with it. Most people can't or won't.

Posted by D | October 10, 2013 6:10 PM

so his target fan base has to be fiscally sound? Thanks. you just made my point.
RICH MAN'S MUSIC.

Posted by Jeff | October 10, 2013 6:17 PM

^ Pay this wannabe Gordon Gekko no mind, Jeff.

He's bummed that he works in a job where he'd be fired if he cut out for McCartney or anything else, so he wants to think he / people can do that to make himself feel better.

Posted by D | October 10, 2013 6:23 PM

Hey D! I'll buy a YDL(Yukon jack, Drambuie, and Lemonade) at the next McCartney show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 7:00 PM

^ I'll pass thanks. Fuck YDL (racists.)

Posted by D | October 10, 2013 7:42 PM

lol @ losers who can't make their own schedule.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2013 8:15 PM

To the clueless smug jerkoff who suggests anyone should be able to leave their job for 75 minutes at the drop of the hat i the middle of the day to see entertainment, or if they can't they are not a 'respected professional':

Obviously whatever you do for a living isn't very important that you can think nothing of dropping everything and leaving your post to see someone sing songs for 75 minutes with no prior warning.

Just to illustrate how stupid and clueless your comment is:

Doctors and lawyers are some of the most celebrated, respected, valued and financially compensated professionals there are... You think a doctor has the luxury of just 'ducking out' of surgery for 75 minutes without any prior advance notice? Can a lawyer just walk out in the middle of court, or not show up for an imminent scheduled court appearance? Should a high paid professor just not should up for his 75 minutes class right before it is scheduled to start or in the middle of his lecture?

You see, some of the most highly regarded highly paid respected professionals have important DEADLINES that revolve around scheduling that cannot be delayed for 75 minutes without any warning without putting a whole lot of other things and professionals in turmoil just to drop everything to be entertained.

And btw, if you have to report your work schedule to someone else every 10 minutes, you are not very important or respected.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 11:14 AM

5:46's work schedule as reported to the boss:

12:00: stare out window, look down on everyone.
12:10: masturbate in bathroom
12:20: put feet up on desk
12:30: Make personal phone call
12:40 eat sandwhich, drink a diet soda
12:50 go on Internet, read Brooklyn Vegan
1:00 go see Paul McCartney

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 11:20 AM

"look at me, I have the luxury of doing whatever I want whenver I want, and if you can;t also do like me, then you have done something wrong with your life"

No clue, just no clue.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 11:24 AM

"If you've been working for decades, you should be able to take off from work for 75 minutes for rare occurrences such as this. If not, then you're probably not respected as a professional, or are viewed as expendable, which are bigger problems."

Excuse me Mr. President, I know I'm your right hand man and you pay me a salary of six figures to run this company for you and I know we have a very important meeting in 15 minutes with 10 other highly paid head executives from overseas who are only in NY today and who's time is very valuable and have tight and important schedules who also need to be at other important meetings in an hour elsewhere, but can we just delay the whole thing for 75 minutes because I just heard on the internet that my favorite rock star is playing a show in a truck in the middle of the street. That's okay right? That won't screw up the deal right? Everyone can wait for me right?

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 11:32 AM

^no one is saying that you can ALWAYS break away for a few hours, but most of the time professionals can.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 11:42 AM

some good points going on here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 11:49 AM

To the posters chiding others for not being able to duck out or ditch work:

Keep promoting the rich hipster entitlement mentality. No wonder hipsters are so hated.

I run my own business but would never ditch unless I wanted my positive relationships with clients to take a nasty detour.

Posted by Jeff | October 11, 2013 12:01 PM

^it's 2013 doofus. There is a thing called a smartphone. You can get emails, phone calls, voicemails anywhere.

But yes, entitled, hipsters, blah blah blah. You sound like a loser.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 12:26 PM

Clown shit douche fest.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 12:29 PM

12:01 is a clown. When did everyone decide to forget what the word 'entitled' means? I busted my ass for years, so that I am now successful and have control of my schedule. That's the opposite of entitled. Got to agree with 12:26, dude sounds like a loser.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 12:39 PM

"so that I am now successful and have control of my schedule. "

That's because whatever non-important nonsense you do allows for that.

To suggest that all successful people have total control of their schedule is ridiculous.

In fact, as someone illustrated above, the more successful and the more money you make in most cases tightens up your schedule as you have relationships and deadlines and schedules and meetings and lots of other things that many other important people also rely on which is what keeps you successful.

To suggest otherwise and make a blanket statement that success automatically equals freedom of your time is a very very immature statement to make.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 2:36 PM

^no one is saying ALL of the time. We are saying MOST of the time. And frankly it's true. The higher you climb the more power you have. Other people work around your schedule not vice versa.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 3:14 PM

absolutely not true 3:14:

The higher you climb the more other higher climbers you have to and need to interact with in buisness settings where time is very valuable.

As they say time is money. The most successful business people in the world are constantly in meetings with other highly successful business people who don't take kindly to a successful person skipping out on them at the last minute and keeping them waiting in the board room while they go see a band play, go get a gyro at the street fair, go fishing, or go see Paul McCartney when they were supposed to be meeting with then and other important dignitaries/associates in a few minutes.

The higher you climb the higher everyone around you is also.

You can't be successful in a bubble. Not everyone is successful in the simplistic childlike sole King or Queen fantasy role that you seem to imagine or suggest for the world.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 3:43 PM

^nonsense. You get to a certain point, and you can break away if you need to or simply want to. Ever heard the expression 'fuck you money?'

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 3:59 PM

I think the post talking about entitlement...

at least what I took away from it was just because you worked long and hard doesn't automatically mean you can do what you want when you want. It's not always a direct relationship.

I agree 100%. and to get my opinion in, Beatles were always about shameful profit grabbing and promotion. How many useless pop culture artifacts bear their image? They were the perfect blueprint for Kiss with sole regards to business.

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2013 4:41 PM