Posted in music | venues on October 19, 2013

Outside of Roseland in April (more by Robert Altamn)

Whether you actually liked seeing shows there or not, Roseland is one of NYC's classic venues. So sad news from Billboard:

New York City's famed Roseland Ballroom will close its doors in April, according to an internal e-mail obtained by Billboard, though no official announcement has been made.

The venerable venue, owned by developer Larry Ginsberg and booked by Live Nation, opened at its 52nd street location, a converted skating rink, in 1958 and is a sentimental favorite for many bands. The history of the venue in New York dates back to 1919, when it was located at 51st and Broadway, and prior to that in Philadelphia.

Evolving from ballroom dancing in the '20s to popular music, Roseland has for years been a favored New York play for a wide range of bands from the early days of rock, through disco, grunge, modern rock, jam, pop, urban and EDM. The venue found a new gear with a $1 million production/rigging renovation in the early '90s, funded by Ginsberg, which led to more high profile bookings of multiple dates on bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, and other hot acts when competition in that cap range was not as fierce. - [Billboard]

Danzig played the venue last night. We'll miss ya, Roseland!

Even fucking more Terminal 5 shows incoming.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 12:03 PM

I saw Guns N Roses there!

Posted by Peter Agoston | October 19, 2013 12:09 PM

I was at Danzig, he's a fat motherfucker cunt face now. Make sure all you assholes watch that Radiohead show from Roseland, you hipster fuckwads.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 12:12 PM

Bowery Presents should take it over and stop having shows at T5. Roseland isn't perfect by any means, but it's light years better than T5.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 12:20 PM

Agree with 1220. I wish T5 would close down. Also, I prefer Hammerstein over both and they hardly ever have shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 12:25 PM

Never been there :)

Posted by termopane | October 19, 2013 12:26 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 12:27 PM

Thank the lord this place is closing. This is by far the worst venue
in NYC or better yet, the whole East Coast for that matter. No view is a good view in this place. Specific designated areas for drinking which is absurd & the sound quality is horrible.. Lets hope T5 is next to shut down.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 12:53 PM

So every mid-sized band is stuck with T5. Great. I swear if I have to spend ONE MORE evening waiting under that fucking Acura dealer or whatever, waiting for them to get their ticketing shit together..

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 1:00 PM

T5 and Webster Hall are the worst venues that have the best shows. Can someone please open a non-douchey venue in Manhattan?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 1:01 PM

Middle

Posted by Anonimous | October 19, 2013 1:08 PM

I heard they were going for landmark status. How can the city allow this?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 1:19 PM

Hey - Terminal 5 isn't closing down any time soon ,so maybe you should start wishing for World Peace instead. That'll happen faster.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 1:26 PM

Yeah, T5 is too much of a cash cow for Bowery Presents.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 1:48 PM

There's still Hammerstein (3000-3500) and Best Buy Theater (2000.)

Posted by D | October 19, 2013 3:13 PM

I taught grammar classes in between Nirvana sets. So sad.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 3:34 PM

this is a big win for us.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 3:38 PM

My first show there (and one of my first in NYC) was Cheap Trick & Guided By Voices, CMJ 1999. Yeah, not my favorite NYC venue, but I'm still sad to see it go.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 3:44 PM

i haven't been to this venue in ages. i had good memories there. i use to love hanging downstairs before shows and in between acts. i met a few girls there, met new friends. good times

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 3:49 PM

Who are you kidding, Hammerstein is barely used for shows at this point.

I saw a lot of great shows at Roseland, but its been at least 4 or 5 years since I've been there. And Webster Hall security can blow me. The shittiest attitudes out of any venue/bar/club in the city.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 4:00 PM

I believe this venue is owned by the CBS/Viacom conglom, no?

Posted by Alc anon | October 19, 2013 4:03 PM

Shit sound, shit sight lines, shit neighborhood, sad to see it go.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 4:25 PM

I have seen many great shows there. Sad to see it go. Way better than T5. I avoid T5 unless I really want to go (happens about once a year).

"No view is a good view in this place. "

How are the views bad at Roseland? I understand that the sound might not be the best, especially by the back bar, but the views? It's wide open! Unless the problem is because you are short. In that case, blame your parents for your inferior genetics.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 4:34 PM

Hammerstein sucks

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 4:56 PM

"Who are you kidding, Hammerstein is barely used for shows at this point."

So what? Now it can be used for shows alot more since it will be the only 3000-3500 capacity room in NYC besides Terminal 5 after Roseland closes.

Posted by D | October 19, 2013 5:01 PM

Roseland blows, good riddance. Hammerstein and T5 blow too. Though T5 i've weirdly become accustomed to, i found a few spots that work well for me.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 6:22 PM

Shoulda been T5. At least Roseland has character and history.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 7:56 PM

United Palace Theater is also a good alternate venue, though it is in a pretty annoying location

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 8:35 PM

My first show there was the Beatles

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 9:19 PM

My first diaper was the Beatles

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2013 9:56 PM

Yo wtf is with the comments moderation?

Posted by D | October 19, 2013 10:42 PM

If MSG Entertainment was smart they'd buy Roseland and Hammerstein to go with The Theater At MSG. They'd crush Terminal 5 if they did that.

Posted by D | October 19, 2013 10:43 PM

1283 pm Specific designated areas for drinking? Since when? No view is a good view in this place? It's wide open. I've seen plenty of great shows there since the early 80's. It does suck if you get there late and don't want to dig your way into the crowd though. I'll take it over T5 any day.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 2:19 AM

^ lol @ 1283 pm

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 2:38 AM

a fine venue. Saw some great shows there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 2:59 AM

just because you know your HTML that doesn't make you a time lord. lol @ u ^

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 4:24 AM

I am always nostalgic when something is closing down, but... that is the way of things

Posted by We Bly | October 20, 2013 8:59 AM

my first show there was love and rockets in 88. does anyone remember that the stage was in a different spot?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 10:22 AM

The shittiest venue that had some of the best shows over the last 20 or so years. I won't miss the venue, but I'll miss the memories.
At Roseland, I've seen:
The Rolling Stones
Prince
Red Hot Chili Peppers with Pearl Jam AND Smashing Pumpkins opening
Nirvana (who I hate to say it, kinda sucked that night)
Countless others (Dinosaur Jr, Beck, Beastie Boys, The Cult, GNR, Soundgarden, Jack White, A Tribe Called Quest/De La Soul, etc etc the list goes on)

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 11:03 AM

I agree not the best venue but have seen great shows there, and a couple of raves.

NIN (pretty hate machine tour, after the show watched leonardo dicaprio and juliette lewis film a scene for the basketball diaries on the street)
Gwar
MIsfits (on halloween)
Viloent FEms
Janes Ad with flea on bass
Motorhead (watched a drunk guy beat up a mailbox outside)
Pavement
Ministry (the guitar player od' that night and died after the show)
Dino Jr.
among others that I must of smoked out of my mind..........

Posted by Fun baggs | October 20, 2013 11:56 AM

^ All crap save Motorhead and Ministry.

Posted by D | October 20, 2013 1:11 PM

BTW good riddance to this venue not because of the actual, physical venue but because Live Nation was its booker.

Again, MSG should buy Roseland and Hammerstein to crush Terminal 5.

Posted by D | October 20, 2013 1:18 PM

1022 Yes, the stage was to the right of where the stage has been since the early 90's. It had more of a ballroom look back then.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 3:51 PM

I never had a problem with this place having seen loads of shows there. As usual BV posters are whiney little bitches. You all complain about the venues, the ticket prices and when you get shut out of shows by popular artists. Whhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Easy solution: STAY HOME!

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 4:04 PM

I caught something there once.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 5:20 PM

Always over sold tickers there. Place is a death trap. The rails at the back of the floor were dangerous and it took 10 minutes to leave the floor after the show. Sound was always spotty and the place is dingy. Much rather go to a show at t5. Best thing about Roseland was easy to get to.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 7:37 PM

7:37 once fell off the rails at Roseland and hurt his vagina.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 8:16 PM

hammerstein is so much better than t5. is there a reason there are so few shows there? is it just dark most nights or they do musical theatre type shit there also?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 9:07 PM

9:07

I'm guessing union shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 9:49 PM

So where will they move the Black Party?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 10:21 PM

737 The rails at the back of the floor were dangerous? WTF are you talking about? Yeah the sound is crappy if you stay at the back of most halls.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2013 10:53 PM

I love this venue, it is unfair to compare it to T5 which has much worst sightlines and even lower sound quality. I have no idea what one person was saying about designated drinking areas, have been to many shows there and never saw that. I will never return t5...

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 9:09 AM

The whole back of the floor at Roseland has rails closing off the floor from the bar area. Obviously you have never been there. I usually start at the front for Roseland shows and work my way back as the set goes on so I dont have to deal with the CF of getting out of Roseland.I would go to T5 any day of the week over Roseland and T5 sucks in its own right.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 9:45 AM

Only show I ever saw there was Underworld but it was one of the best shows I've seen, bar none. Great sound, much more open than T5. I love Hammerstein but the floor gets insanely crowded. RIP Roseland...

Posted by Hal9000 | October 21, 2013 10:06 AM

I will say this Roseland is better if you are right next to the stage..otherwise T5 for the win

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 10:14 AM

wonder where Radiohead will play next time

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 10:43 AM

I am anticipating a bunch of farewell shows. I am thinking Jack White (be it dead weather or raconteurs or solo), will play there one more time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 10:46 AM

I highly doubt there will be any special last shows. I really don't think the owner cares that much.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 11:12 AM

great place. if you know how to walk, you can get up close or hang further back or sit down or stand up or move around. Great sound too.

it's a shame Roseland stopped having shows years ago. The Radiohead shows in 2011 were the only time I've been there in the past 5 years or so.

Terminal 5 isn't a real music venue, it's just a disco. you can't compare it to actual venues for live music.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 11:33 AM

^roseland used to be a dance hall...your point?

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 12:01 PM

Webster Hall is still the worst

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 12:05 PM

^Webster Hall however has a higher stage then the others and better sight lines

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 12:17 PM

Terminal 5 is the big box store of live music venues, nothing more, nothing less. I'm only guessing Roseland is closing because the owner has sold the building to a co-op developer.

It will be interesting to see if T5 and Hammerstein close one day and if they do what would be the future of live music in NYC? Would all bigger bands literally play only at 2000-capacity Best Buy Theater and/or 1500-capacity Webster Hall? Would a new 3000-capacity venue open and if so where? That amount of space doesn't come around often, besides that it has to be zoned and cleared to open then keep its liquor license.

Posted by D | October 21, 2013 12:27 PM

^Thanks D...Occasionally I shop at Best Buy as they have sales and I can order on line. That said T5 has its purpose.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 12:37 PM

in a big box store you can get in, find what you're looking for, then get out quickly. T5 is a lot less than that, because of its subprofessional sound, poor sightlines, and fire-trap layout.

it's a nice big room that would be fun as a dance club or banquet hall, it's just not adequate for live music.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 12:44 PM

You assholes have no idea what you are talking about. You are a bunch of self-righteous, know-it-all idiots who wouldn't know a good venue or good sound if it punched you square in your cunt. You think that because you had a bad experience at a Placebo show or some shitty rave at Roseland that you are now an expert in what good sound is or great sight lines. Get off your horses and know that this is and will always be a business and that your opinion is stupid. Roseland, T5, Hammerstein or (insert venue here) will always have lovers and haters, but just because you spent some of your money to stop by one show every couple of months doesn't make you an expert. Save it. You're boring.

Hopefully this change in the city can bring about something that will please you bunch of whiny, undeserving pieces of shit. Either way, I bet you find a way to bitch about it.

Posted by Harry Mindmeld | October 21, 2013 2:11 PM

Webster Hall used to actually be worse until the last remodel. Now I don't find it so bad.

Roseland barely had shows in the past decade. It was more active in the '90s. T5 sucks. Hopefully Hammerstein will pick up the slack.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 2:20 PM

Harry chill out. Roseland has it's likers, lovers, haters, and dontgiveafuckers.

I love the venue but couldn't stand the people who booked it (Live Nation.)

I hope someone buys it as it's a great slice of old New York and it would be a shame for it to close.

Posted by D | October 21, 2013 5:18 PM

1133am it's a shame Roseland stopped having shows years ago? Huh? I've been to a few over the last couple of years and the article mentions a few coming up. 211 Who is the asshole? Right, YOU!

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2013 10:28 PM

T5 is for suckers.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2013 12:29 AM

Called ticketmaster they said the rumsey tickets will not be honored at roseland ballroom and that it is still tba so I got a refund for tickets and will get new tickets for roseland. Weirddd

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2013 10:57 AM

I want to go there at least once

Posted by Termopane | October 27, 2013 2:27 PM

I want to go there at least once

Posted by Termopane | October 27, 2013 2:29 PM

the joint goes back to my grandparents, who used to attend ballroom dancing events.
I haven't gone in awhile, though.
They did lower the stage which I appreciated when I was shorter.

I'm assuming skyrocketing rents?

Posted by Jeff | October 27, 2013 3:33 PM

Jeff my guess is real estate developers bought the building and want to convert it into a hotel or a co-op.

If it's a hotel it'd be nice to just leave Roseland alone - call it Roseland @ (hotel name), people will still call it Roseland. Have the hotel upstairs.

Posted by D | October 27, 2013 4:32 PM