by Wyatt Marshall
Deafheaven at 285 Kent in July (more by Lukas Hodge)
The discerning folks over at Amazon have announced their picks for the best albums, songs and artists of 2013, and Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, Vampire Weekend's Modern Vampires of the City and Chvrches' The Bones of What You Believe filled out the top three spots on their best albums list.
A bit more of a surprise was Deafheaven coming in sixteenth overall with Sunbather and landing "Best Hard Rock & Metal" honors in both the artist and album category--Russian Circles won "Best Hard Rock & Metal" song with "1776", stealing the trifecta that was just within Deafheaven's grasp. Sixteenth-best album of the year and best hard rock and metal album of the year on a huge site like Amazon is pretty high profile for Deafheaven, the San Francisco post-black metal band that still road warriors-up for shows at small clubs. But they've been on the big stage before--to be specific, for Apple's keynote announcement for the iPhone 5c, when the cover of Sunbather graced one of the five iPhones on the projection screen behind the presenter.
Check out the top 20 best albums according to Amazon below, compare that to more old school and indie retailer Rough Trade's list, and head over to Amazon to see what else they thought was a cut above...
Amazon's "Best Albums of 2013"
1. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
2. Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
3. Chvrches - Bones of What You Believe
4. Jason Isbell - Southeastern
5. Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
6. Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
7. Lorde - Pure Heroine
8. Bastille - Bad Blood
9. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
10. Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer Different Park
11. Drake - Nothing Was The Same
12. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
13. Haim - Days Are Gone
14. The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars
15. Neko Case - The Worse Things Get...
16. Deafheaven - Sunbather
17. Foals - Holy Fire
18. Miley Cyrus - Bangerz
19. Fitz & The Tantrums - More THan Just A Dream
20. Icona Pop - This Is... Icona Pop