Posted in music on November 18, 2013

Joan Jett at Cherie Currie's recent Long Island show (more by Greg Cristman)
Joan Jett

Joan Jett was supposed to appear with her band on the South Dakota tourism float in its Thanksgiving Day parade, has been moved off the float after South Dakota ranchers and farmers protested about her becoming vegetarian and animal rights advocate, saying it misrepresents their state. CNN reports...

"I've decided to switch from South Dakota to another float because people's political agendas were getting in the way of what should be a purely entertainment driven event," Jett said in a statement Saturday. "I will remain focused on entertaining the millions of people watching, who will be celebrating a great American tradition."

...

"So, of course, when we learned that about Miss Jett, we were rightly concerned about her representing South Dakota and a state that is so heavily reliant on agriculture and livestock production to drive our economy," Jodie Anderson of the South Dakota Cattlemen's Association told the station.

A Macy's spokesman said Jett and her Blackhearts band will be moved to another float, and another undetermined performer will take Jett's place on the South Dakota float, the affiliate said.

...

"Thanks to South Dakota's reactionary ranchers, people across the country have learned why Joan Jett supports PETA. The meat trade can't stand any scrutiny of its cruelty," PETA Senior Vice President Dan Mathews said in a statement.

Sharon Jones will perform at the parade too.

Wait.. why was she part of South Dakota's float in the first place ?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 1:35 PM

Did you write that first paragraph with your eyes closed, or just cut and paste from different sources and not bother to make all the fragments fit?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 2:14 PM

Sharon Jones will be on the "F*** PETA" float.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 2:27 PM

Replace Joan with Big Frida or "Cakes" and lets see how S. Dakota reacts to that?
F'n ridiculos!

Posted by spikenyc | November 18, 2013 3:09 PM

Does PETA know that she eats pussy?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 5:28 PM

peta is pretty gay

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 9:07 PM

Americans know where South Dakota is?

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 9:37 PM

9:37- Its South of North Dakota. You fuckin retard.

Posted by Anonymous | November 18, 2013 9:45 PM

I don't get Joan Jett on this one.

She's a vegetarian and an animal rights advocate yet she is participating in a parade celebrating a holiday which celebrates eating turkey, an animal. She's a hypocrite.

Posted by D | November 18, 2013 10:35 PM

Every1 Celebrates holidays because we watched cartoons and got toys, and now we want to individualize meanwhile being nostalgic before Neo rips open the wormhole and rabbits fly out of salavador dalis rectum, merging with van goghs departed Ear and Picassos whores. Sunflowers float inside Cornucopias while mythological Birds and Vikings Eat each others left over ass juice.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2013 1:50 AM

^ Lay off the drugs fella.

Posted by D | November 19, 2013 1:51 AM

SD farmers have a "beef" with peta...as they posted the blizzard of october pics of the dead cattle and horses that were lost in the storm claiming animal cruelty....however, if you know someone from SD talk to them and see what they think, most are disappointed the cattle farmers even said anything....some are even saying it has nothing to do with vegitarism or PETA is because she is gay.......

Posted by bohannon | November 19, 2013 7:39 AM

It's probably because she's gay, too, I wouldn't be surprised.

She's celebrating Thanksgiving with this state, one group of people from it bitch about it, and whoever in charge of the parade caves in.

What a backassward state and cultural zero. Please tell me what the FUCK South Dakota has ever produced in music, art, film, actors etc? What band? They ought to be grateful Joan Jett even came to their state to party.

Posted by D | November 19, 2013 8:35 AM

YOU *D*UMB MOTHERFUCKER

Joan Jett didn't ask to be put on the S Dakota float. The Holiday isn't a celebration of "eating turkey". It's a celebration on having an abundance of harvest and stealing shit from the Indians. No law says you HAVE to eat turkey. Lots of vegetarians go meatless and a lot of meat eaters don't even like turkey, esp white meat.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2013 9:03 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2013 9:48 AM

Wow you must REALLY BE ANGRY AT ME FOR TYPING IN CAPS.

First off, turkey, I could give a fuck if Joan Jett asked to be put on the SD float. Your point with that is what?

Second, Thanksgiving is a celebration of "eating turkey" (really that and celebrating family and friendship) in the modern age aka 2013 since most people don't have an "abundant harvest" to celebrate and no one steals from the tribal nations, not Indians, dickhead. There is no such thing as "Indians", they're Sioux, Cherokee, Apache etc. The celebration you're talking about it what it was originally but it changed. Or do you think Christmas is 100% the celebration of the birth of Baby Jesus? Idiot.

I never said there was a law that you had to eat turkey and who cares if some meateaters don't like it.

Take that stick out of your ass and stop being such a grouch.

Posted by D | November 19, 2013 10:02 AM

Take the stick out of your own azz,

YOU FUCKIN BITCH ASS FRUITCAKE.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2013 10:59 AM

Ooooh look everyone HE'S TYPING IN CAPS AGAIN.

LOL @ you repeating what I wrote and spelling ass like "azz" like a typical internet thug.

Stop using the word "bitchass" as I was the first one to use it on BV. Get your own style.

Posted by D | November 19, 2013 11:59 AM

...and another thing. Actually, no. I post too much here anyway and need to give it a rest. I understand that you all find me tiresome and I want to start making more positive contributions to this site and to society in general. Sometime I best do that by just saying nothing.

Posted by D | November 19, 2013 12:51 PM

"sd is the manliest of states" posted by a sd rancher no doubt...men don't pick on parades and vegitarians.....in fact realy men don't pick on anyone...they don't have to...they are the "manliest" i should know....

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2013 2:05 PM

Irony ain't dead!!!

as a longtime Jett fan I'm very psyched for this! As a longtime football fan my Thanksgiving is going to be the best yet!

Sure beats all those lame marching bands...

Posted by Jeff | November 19, 2013 7:10 PM

"sd manliest of men" uh...thats montana not south dakota.....if SD took lessons from us..they wouldn't be in this mess..bad way to do business...boys....

Posted by Bo Hannon | November 19, 2013 9:05 PM

This whole thing is effing ridiculous! The ranchers who threw a hissy are the effing Liberals east river. Those of us west river could care less who the hell represents our effed up state! They make us look like a bunch morons with our heads stuck up our asses!

Posted by Misty "Sd Native" | November 28, 2013 10:41 AM

Americans know where South Dakota is?

Posted by making money online | December 22, 2013 5:37 AM

Posted by cheapest oscilloscopes | January 26, 2014 7:40 AM

I'm a vegan from South Dakota, probably one of the only ones in the state (I've met ONE other vegan here, and I was shocked). The torturous meat and dairy industries are HUGE here, and it is nearly impossible to get vegan food at restaurants here (when I'm out with friends, I almost always end up getting a salad with no dressing -- basically a lettuce plate). I've tried to inform others about vegan ethics and animal rights, but I usually just get laughed off by the animal-product-loving locals. Still, even though the arc of progress is long out here on the prairie, it still bends toward justice.

Posted by JL | February 23, 2014 8:29 PM

Veagan's suck!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2014 8:52 PM

"South Dakota is the manliest of States. America needs more cowboys and ranchers and less musicians and activists. Fuck you all."

Cause America needs more Jesus worshipping inbred brain dead hillbillies. Guess they need more people for Jerry Springer.... And oh no! The WWE might go out of business!

Posted by Anonymous | February 23, 2014 8:54 PM

The main female character in the novel I'm writing is obsessed with Joan, lol <3

Posted by Kate | March 2, 2014 4:16 AM

Great LYRICS ! Awesome MUSIC ! Cool SINGER ! What More Need I Say ?? LOVE IT ! Take A Listen ! This Song Means A LOT to me ! Cos I Used to LOVE Somebody but I was Not LOVED back in Return ! That is LIFE ! DAMN IT ! Take A LISTEN ! LOL !

Posted by Snacki | October 26, 2014 4:35 PM