Posted in To Do | music on November 12, 2013

My Bloody Valentine's stage at Hammerstein last night (via Colby Conor)
MBV
Morbid Angel at BB King's in 2012 (more by Jonathan McPhail)
Morbid Angel

Browse our full NYC show calendar for all of tonight's shows. Here are some highlights...

My Bloody Valentine, DIIV @ Hammerstein Ballroom
The shoegaze legends play the final show on their 2013 world tour tonight, their second of two NYC shows, to remind people how it's done. Expect most of the "hits," and intense light show and a medium-length (but still crushingly loud) "You Made Me Realize." Tickets are still available.

Elvis Costello @ The Capitol Theatre
Power pop pioneer/all-around great songwriter Elvis Costello is fresh off a collaborative album and show with The Roots, but this month he's back to the solo format for a tour that hits The Capitol Theatre twice this week. This is night 2.

Hippy, Kissing Is A Crime, The Teen Age, Bluffing @ Cameo Gallery
It's an all-Brooklyn indie pop lineup with four quality bands. Check out a track from Bluffing below.

Night Beats, Golden Animals @ Mercury Lounge
If you like garage psych rock with a little swagger to it, Seattle trio Night Beats do it better than most. Their new album, Sonic Bloom (out on Austin Psych Fest label Reverberation Appreciation Society), is a good listen. Tonight's show was supposed to be with RAS labemates Golden Animals but they had to cancel, so The Mystery Lights are playing instead.

Dave Davies @ City Winery
Ray's brother, Kinks guitarist, fuzz-tone pioneer, and writer of some good songs in his own right, this lesser-known Davies is back at City Winery and tickets are still available.

John Fogerty @ Beacon Theatre
Rock legend John Fogerty has over four decades of music, including countless swamp rock classics penned during his time in Creedence Clearwater Revival like "Fortunate Son," "Bad Moon Rising," "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and tons more that you'll likely hear tonight, his first of three Beacon Theatre shows this week.

Morbid Angel, Jotunheim, Vadimvon, Winter Nights @ Irving Plaza
Morbid Angel are playing their death metal classic Covenant in full on this tour. Covenant is one of the only death metal albums to ever see a major label release, and it's arguably the finest specimen the genre has to offer. Worth overlooking Morbid Angel's recent missteps to catch.

The Slow Death, GSD, Hot Shot @ Coco66
Pretty Boy Thorson (real name Jesse Thorson) spent the '00s making country punk with his band The Falling Angels, and now he's fronting The Slow Death, who drop the "country" but keep the "songwriter punk" element, resulting in raw, anthemic jams. The Minneapolis band are currently on a US tour, which hits NYC tonight. And like a zillion other good punk bands, Mikey Erg is on drums. Stream their recently released album, No Heaven, below.

Ken South Rock, Beasty, Vomitface @ Union Pool
Brooklyn/Tokyo rockers opened for Peelander-Z on Halloween, and they sound like a band who would appeal to Peelander fans for more reasons than a shared home country. Check out a video below.

Rhyton, Ancient Ocean, Mako Sica, Colomboid @ Death By Audio
The Thrill Jockey-signed Rhyton make a kind of spacey psychedelia that should appeal to people who dig non-Phish-style jam bands.

Deptford Goth, Solar Year @ Mercury Lounge
Love James Blake and The xx but don't like seeing them in cavernous rooms? You might want to try Deptford Goth, who makes similarly soulful downtempo electro. Tonight's the UK musician's first-ever North American show.

Dylan Fest @ Bowery Ballroom
The annual Dylan Fest returns for its second of two nights at Bowery Ballroom tonight. The show will feature Bob Dylan classics performed by a number of musicians, including members of Black Keys, The Hold Steady, Heartless Bastards, The Mooney Suzuki, and more.

For all of tonight's shows, and tomorrow's, check out our full NYC show calendar.

For laughs, check out the NYC Comedy calendar too.

-------------

Follow @BrooklynVegan on Twitter.
Follow @bvChicago for just Chicago stuff.
Also follow @bvAustin for just Austin stuff.

Be our friend on Facebook too, and BV Austin's friend on Facebook and BV Chicago's friend on Facebook.

Follow BrooklynVegan on instagram.

What else?

Ken South Rock - "Hold On" Official Video

The Slow Death - No Heaven

mbv went on just after 9. incredible set. better than '08.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 10:37 AM

Diiv aren't anywhere good enough to be opening up for MBV. I'm skipping their set, but I hope they get booed off the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 10:49 AM

what a great show - could have done without the opener - they sounded louder than MBV - had front row seat up over the soundboard - friend clocked the decibels at 110 - bring the plugs
and that light show was something!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 10:52 AM

Were there cheap tix being sold outside before MBV? Wanna go but so broke right now :(

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 10:59 AM

$100 per seat, sold out! hahaha

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 11:49 AM

the holocaust section during you made me realize was only 5 minutes. wtf.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 11:52 AM

1152 I remember it being at least 15 minutes in 2009...are you sure?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 11:58 AM

11:58/11:52: It is shorter this tour, my thought is that they have more material to put into a 90 minute set than they did before. I guess it is a product of having a new album to tour on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 11:59 AM

5 minutes was enough for me :)

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 12:07 PM

Get there with some time to spare, Hammerstein goons are searching everyone and the line went all the way to 9th ave.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 12:18 PM

As a B&T MBV fan, anyone have a good spot for food before the show? My bus will get in around 7:20.

Are these "goons" all that bad? I have a light-up poster I hope to get inside.

Thanks!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 12:33 PM

12:18: What time did you get to the line? I got to the line at around 7:30-7:50, and line was surprisingly and virtually non-existent.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 1:01 PM

@12:33 - There's Skylight, a good 24-hour diner across the street, at 34th and 9th.

The "goons" were pretty rough and weren't messing around. They confiscated a small silver flask from the guy in front of me. A light-up poster? I don't know...

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 1:06 PM

The security was very thorough. The lady who checked me grabbed the middle of my bra probably hoping hidden stuff would fall out. They did not prevent cameras from being brought in. They confiscated lighters.

The line was pretty easy. I got there just before 5 and made front center very easily. I could have gotten in line a bit later and been fine. Surprising, actually.

These two nights have been far from sold out. I was told the first night was about 2,000 tickets sold, and tonight about 1,300.

I don't imagine you'll have a problem getting a ticket for face from the box office. I didn't see the usual scalpers up front looking for people getting rid of tix, but they tend to wait at the corner of 8th ave.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 2:01 PM

Quick food options across the street from Hammerstein -- Chipotle, Quizno's, Five Guys, Dunkin Donuts, some deli type place.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 2:02 PM

I can never tell how long the holocaust section is because the whole experience is just so overwhelming. I found out afterwards that it was 20 mins at the 2008 show I saw (in Santa Monica), and last weekend in Chicago it was 12 mins. They're a bit less loud this time around than in 2008, but the sound mix was better as a result. An acceptable trade-off.

Posted by Lemmy | November 12, 2013 2:46 PM

Good luck getting into that son of a bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 3:23 PM

Confiscating lighters? That is so lame.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 3:34 PM

hahaha they took my lighter too! Never seen that before.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 3:38 PM

Hammerstein always sucks. It's the only venue I ever have to wait on a line for, even when I arrive after doors. Luckily, hardly anyone good plays there these days.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2013 3:49 PM

Wow you guys are insane! Can't wait to catch you guys at Beastierock in Taipei!

Posted by Brooklynn | February 28, 2014 5:07 AM

Just saw you guys at the Che Cafe! You guys are the coolest duo I've ever seen. First time seeing you, forever a fan.

Posted by Kios | October 25, 2014 6:28 PM